Page 216 of 258 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Yeah really...

At least wotc is fucking the RL with a lil swagger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    they didn't touch the reserved list though?

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Yeah really...

At least wotc is fucking the RL with a lil swagger

Literally none of those cards are on the reserve list...
    From nothing came teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I really don't know why you're complaining about top being banned since you seem to be very good at Soothsaying.

Quote Originally Posted by benjiman13 View Post
    Hi guys,

I want to give a shot on apinter and would like to know if it is possible to do it without any imperial recruiter? Is it really sub-optimal? or there is any different kind of build than the pure imperial painter?

Wainting for your comments!
    Painted stone is an option. It is a lot more focused on the combo than locking players with moons and bridges. But you need 4 Force of Will and probably an LED or two. Not sure what kind of collection you have.

You can find the thread for the deck here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Painter-Stone

Oct 2015
    Virginia

This makes me so happy that I adopted a 'no foils' policy a few years ago.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Had to google the RL actually, thought it was up til MM that every rare up to MM wasn't subject to any reprint.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by cab0747 View Post
    Painted stone is an option. It is a lot more focused on the combo than locking players with moons and bridges. But you need 4 Force of Will and probably an LED or two. Not sure what kind of collection you have.

You can find the thread for the deck here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Painter-Stone
    Don't forget about some number of volcs .

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    Guys, it's official

ALSO
    , ,
    Cool e.e and 3sphere. Grindstone art is atrocious though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Interesting, I find the 3sphere art bland, I think the Grindstone is gorgeous. To each their own, can't wait for my playset.

Am I the only one planning on pimping out my deck with all of the masterpieces?

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    Am I the only one planning on pimping out my deck with all of the masterpieces?
    I have the painter's servant masterpieces. I definitely want to get the stones too. If the master piece bridges I've seen on eBay are any indication of how much they will be I'll probably skip them. I already purchased 3 foil 8th edition bridges a while ago.

Recently went back to mono red on MTGO, playing 3 new Chandras and 3 bridges main. Been pretty decent so far. Haven't faced the miracles match up that much yet though. I haven't been as dead in the water vs storm as I thought I would be but maybe that is just lucky draws. I also have the three thorns in the board. Anyone think I should do some sort of split between thorns and 3balls? I cut out the 3ball cuz I always found it hurt me as much as my opponent.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

I'm planning on just getting the stones for now. Maybe the EE since I don't currently have one. I don't love the foiling process. But I do love the art for most of them.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

What are people's approach to the sneak and show matchup? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep the combo in and just side in a tormod's crypt for a 3 card combo or does it make more sense to take out the combo entirely and just try to win with Jaya/beats/planeswalkers. The last couple times I've played against the deck I've tried the second route but I get into games where they get a fatty down by are locked by a bridge and I can't attack due to their fatty and they just counter my other threats and eventually clear my bridge with an e.e. or bounce or something. Just curious how other people approached the matchup.

p.s. I think my problem with the new Grindstone art is that there is no picture of a grindstone on it. What do gears have to do with a grindstone?

My favourite way I've beaten that deck was having 2 Grindstones and a Welder out, milling myself, then milling him then welding in crypt to stop Emrakul, in response to a Griselbrand activation. But mainly, I usually just hide behind bridges and protect Jaya or planeswalkers.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    My favourite way I've beaten that deck was having 2 Grindstones and a Welder out, milling myself, then milling him then welding in crypt to stop Emrakul, in response to a Griselbrand activation. But mainly, I usually just hide behind bridges and protect Jaya or planeswalkers.
    I've pulled that off a couple times as well, but it's a corner case at best. So you are obviously keeping the combo in.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    What are people's approach to the sneak and show matchup? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to keep the combo in and just side in a tormod's crypt for a 3 card combo or does it make more sense to take out the combo entirely and just try to win with Jaya/beats/planeswalkers. The last couple times I've played against the deck I've tried the second route but I get into games where they get a fatty down by are locked by a bridge and I can't attack due to their fatty and they just counter my other threats and eventually clear my bridge with an e.e. or bounce or something. Just curious how other people approached the matchup.

p.s. I think my problem with the new Grindstone art is that there is no picture of a grindstone on it. What do gears have to do with a grindstone?
    I haven't seen that deck around for a while but I usually keep the combo in, maybe at most take out 1 grindstone since I think that is the weakest part of the combo for us in the matchup if I have extra stuff to come in. I wouldn't take the entire combo out for the reasons that you said, with a fatty (namely griselbrand) it becomes really hard to win with beats. I mulligan pretty aggressively to either a bridge or a handful of blasts for this matchup postboard. The nice thing is that we don't have to play around wasteland so keeping landlight sketchy hands is kind of okay.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I haven't seen that deck around for a while but I usually keep the combo in, maybe at most take out 1 grindstone since I think that is the weakest part of the combo for us in the matchup if I have extra stuff to come in. I wouldn't take the entire combo out for the reasons that you said, with a fatty (namely griselbrand) it becomes really hard to win with beats. I mulligan pretty aggressively to either a bridge or a handful of blasts for this matchup postboard. The nice thing is that we don't have to play around wasteland so keeping landlight sketchy hands is kind of okay.
    It's a rare occurrence but I just recently beat this deck on mtgo. I sided out all moons and two grindstones. I put in two tormods crypt and two surgical extractions for the 3 card combo. Game 1 was a loss but game 2 I was able to land a painter and grindstone and activated during the opponent's upkeep and surgicaled his emrakuls with the reshuffle trigger on the stack. Still needed one more activation to seal the game but he conceded anyway. In game 3 I was bringing the painter and welder beats and countered his sneak attack with the two blasts I had in hand and both painters on blue. He took a lot of tomb damage as well with two in play. He was able to get an emrakul on the board via show and tell at 6 life with no cards in hand with a leyline in play. I casted confluence on my turn dealing six to him since it doesn't target. I love that card. 😁
    Last edited by SDBobPlissken; 12-28-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Side out 2 grindstone and moons. Bring in 3 card combos if you have them but no more than 2. You are the control in the match up.

Your best non wincon cards are goblin welder, ethersworn canonist, revoker, and painter.

Goblin welder: this is secretly your best Win con. A resolved welder essentially means your bridge is uncounterable. Until then I like to kinda hold, or better yet float a bridge with top, in hopes of resolving it with show and tell.

Ethersworn: this card ruins their day. Half their deck is cantrips which essentially time walks them. With ethersworn out their late game answers become much much much worse because you just blast it and there is nothing they can do.

Jaya, walkers, grindstone, painter beats is how I would order your Win cons. (Both in strength and frequency).

1. Jaya. Only play her when you have 2-3 blast backup if possible. Often I win with Jaya by blowing up all the lands first as a matter of precaution.

2. Walkers. You can be a little more frivolous with these. Make sure your always leaving up 1-2 blast mana as a bluff. If your playing the old Chandra she's good here by making their griselbrsnd unable to block.

3. Grindstone. Don't force this. Again your on defense the whole time. Eventually you will get this assembled and kill them. If your really dead always go for the mill, sometimes they are holding their emerkuls (I've done it).

4. Painter beats. I say painter because it's an artifact creature. If your opponent has an emerkul out just attack and welder the blocked creature before damage. Your opponent will be very unimpressed by this point.

Don't extend into their bounce or board wipes until you have a ethersworn canonist down to lock things up.

Honestly they win by jamming the combo on you. Do your best to represent blasts and bridges or general uncertainty. If you can get to the midgame your usually in good shape.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post

PS: and always keep in mind that it is possible to grind yourself with the combo on the table, weld a Crypt in, grind the opponent and activate the Crypt in response to the emrakul trigger... This way you don't have to have the 3 card combo on the table, other combinations of welders, Grindstones and painter are sufficient as well ;-)

Happy new year all and I hope this year you grind out many victories

Against SnT, I don't even bother with the Grindstone combo. I have noticed that I will win through anemic creature beats and Chandra burn before I can assemble Painter + Grindstone + Welder|Crypt combo anyways. Having Crypt and Grindstone in my deck just allows me a greater chance to draw dead cards, which is not the position I want to be in. I find Goblin Rabblermaster to be really good because the clock he provides is tremendous.

Thread Information