Page 243 of 258 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    So this is sad for me, but I have tried every iteration of R/w and R/b/w painter and can barely scrape a .500 record on MODO, no matter what I try. So over the weekend I went to the dark side and started playing grixis painter (with brainstorms) and am 11-0 so far, including only losing one game in four matches at my LGS last night. It pains me to say this, but I think I have to make the switch and retire shortcake for a little while, at least until a viable replacement for top comes around.
    I'm with ya buddy. I'll be there waiting as well if we ever get top back. Just sucks.

RIP Shortcake
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Do you have a Grixis list you are willing to share? I feel the same about Imperial Painter. The deck is just not consistent without SDT and is actually really clunky at times. Without the ability to float a blast on top of deck also makes us super vulnerable in the combo turn. A lot of times, I want to keep a blast at hand, but that also weakens Bridge since I don't want to go hellbent.

Still trying to make r/w painter work and was wondering what you all thought about the list that showed up on mtggoldfish that ran r/w painter with the sfm package. Since we lost our card selection, is this the way to go with jamming more threats as a backup plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Discipleoffblthp View Post
    Still trying to make r/w painter work and was wondering what you all thought about the list that showed up on mtggoldfish that ran r/w painter with the sfm package. Since we lost our card selection, is this the way to go with jamming more threats as a backup plan?

Link plz?

Quote Originally Posted by Totenbot View Post
    Link plz?
    Here's the link for the deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...br-42082#paper

Not sure if I agree with the whole list, just focusing on sfm package mainly.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Discipleoffblthp View Post
    Here's the link for the deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...br-42082#paper

Not sure if I agree with the whole list, just focusing on sfm package mainly.
    We've all tried it I think. Isn't great. What is the point of the deck then? beat down? combo? control? I never liked it. I'm fine with some sort of alt win con but would rather load up on chandras or some non-creature plan.

I've gotten several PM's asking for the grixis list I'm using so I think I will post it in the painter-stone forum. Just looking to get a little feedback first.

Hi guys
    I am new with this deck and I don't know why do you think this deck is dead. Can you explain me why?
    Regards

Last week i did the final belgium legacy cup and one Mono red Painter did top 8 after 7 round. He lost in quarter final, but i think his deck list can't win vs miracle.

I think only mono red can do something because you have lot of moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanhur View Post
    Last week i did the final belgium legacy cup and one Mono red Painter did top 8 after 7 round. He lost in quarter final, but i think his deck list can't win vs miracle.

I think only mono red can do something because you have lot of moon.
    Do you know where can I see the list?

Couple scenario questions for people who've played this deck competitively:
    1) If you have combo on board and enough mana to activate but no Pyroblast to back it up, do you fire it off, or wait until your opponents taps out/tries to kill it? If the latter, how long do you wait? EOT? until the last minute/ until you finally draw shields?
    2) If you've got painter and Jaya Balard in play and assuming your opponent has nothing relevant on board, do you prioritize blowing up lands or dealing damage?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Couple scenario questions for people who've played this deck competitively:
    1) If you have combo on board and enough mana to activate but no Pyroblast to back it up, do you fire it off, or wait until your opponents taps out/tries to kill it? If the latter, how long do you wait? EOT? until the last minute/ until you finally draw shields?
    2) If you've got painter and Jaya Balard in play and assuming your opponent has nothing relevant on board, do you prioritize blowing up lands or dealing damage?
    1) This is probably a throw away answer but it really depends on the situation. If opponent has multiple cards in hand, and mana up i'd just wait until you find yourself in a good position to activate it. In general if you think your opponent has a removal spell and has mana up it's best to activate grindstone on their upkeep so they use up their mana on their turn.

2) This is another one that depends on the situation. If there is a way to cut your opponent off a color of mana or limit the use of some of their primary color i'd go with the lands. If that really isn't an option i'd just start bolting them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I've painted for years, and answering the following is subjective but still relevant:
    1)You have the combo out and three mana open. The important thing is not whether you have blast mana open, but that it's an instant speed activation. If you don't have anything in hand, time is on your side bc you're inevitably winning (unless tbey have eldrazi or other hate). If you have a blast, friggin' wait! Not to draw one but to react to them. They tap out or go to eot brainstorm, go for it. Otherwise play represent the shit out of the combo because they're sweating it out not knowing what you're up to next.
    2) prison them out and destroy their lands. This is quicker than nugging bc most ops scoop

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Most of the time I'll tap grindstone for combo without waiting. Well, it depends on the situation, but short version is :
    -your turn, opp full tap -> go combo
    -your turn, opp with mana -> wait for opp upkeep
    -your turn, opp with mana, you got pyro backup -> wait for opp upkeep if opp still full untap, go directly for it if few mana untap

If you have the possibility to land another painter/welder while still having 3 untapped mana, then of course you need to play these. But most of the time it's a bad idea to wait for redundant painter/welder/blasts without having a control on your topdeck. It will often give you lands and your opp will get removals :p
    Also, I tend to activate grindstone for combo in resp to cantrips.

For Jaya : blast lands, all the way.

What do you think about Blood Sun in this deck?

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    On the one hand, it has the three magic words of "draw a card". It disables fetches and utility lands. It keeps City of Traitors in play. If you're going for the line of "slow them down until I combo", this might work.

On the other, it doesn't shut down duals or lands like Cloudpost. It's weak to everything Blood Moon is and shuts down our own fetches. If you're going for the line of "lock them out of the game", this might not work that well at all.

I think it's worth testing, if only because it's a Cantrip. I can't imagine it would hard replace Blood Moon, or maybe even Magus, since it's not the hard lock Blood Moon is, but a cantrip alongside the other two might be good. You'd have to go fully fetch-less but that's arguably not that difficult if you use 4x Petals, maybe some Opals, go 4x Plateau.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Why settle on hating utility lands when you can hate all nonbasics?
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

So, on the play g1 against an unknown opponent if you have a pyroblast in hand but also a 1 drop (goblin welder, grindstone, etc) do you lead off with the 1 drop or pass with counters up? What if you know you're playing against sneak and show or another fast blue combo deck?

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    So, on the play g1 against an unknown opponent if you have a pyroblast in hand but also a 1 drop (goblin welder, grindstone, etc) do you lead off with the 1 drop or pass with counters up? What if you know you're playing against sneak and show or another fast blue combo deck?
    g1 on the play, you'll always play welder here (or grindstone if you don't have welder). This is by far the best choice you can do without info on opponent deck, and still best choice when you know the versus. You have to admit loosing vs an ancient tomb + lotus petal + show and tell + emrakul/grisel. You can keep one mana open in subsequent turns. There is no fast combo playing blue that can reliably all-in on turn one (pyroblast will not save you vs belcher/oops, and you can still wait turn 2 to counter the ponder of the storm player).
    Obviously, the best case scenario is to land a painter off a sol-land on turn 2. Then you'll be happy to still have your pyroblast in hand.

Feb 2008
    NYC

I do not think you should always play a grindstone in that setting. The Welder is a different story as you need to untap with him, so that is a critical part of sequencing. So yes to Welder, no to Grindstone in a vacuum I would say. But really it is more situation based.

1. Did my opponent mull? If so blasting a cantrip could be back breaking and clearly stronger than allowing a Grindstone to sit around
    2. Can I combo 2, 3, or 4th turn? Figuring out if and when you can assemble and generate three mana allows you to sequence to maximum efficiency and the least risk of a combo piece being destroyed.
    3. What are my lands in hand? What, if any splash do I run? Opening yourself to Wasteland on a dual may not be good depending how your mana works. Allowing for Etutor when you draw it most likely is stronger than just dumping a Grindstone on the board.
    4. By playing Grindstone you essentially let them know the entire deck you are playing. If you use Scalding Tarn, they very well may have no idea what you are playing with land go, making that first Ponder, Preordain or land drop in your favor.

Those were just a few situations off the top of my head that routinely come up and in all of them holding the Grindstone is better. Welder however needs to stick a turn to be useful. That being said he can be a complete house if he sticks around. And in many cases it is better to have a Painter destroyed than your Welder as the game goes long. So it could be a reasonable line that you want Welder to live and Painter or Magus, or some other creature should soak up the first removal spell. The opposite can be true though, if you think a fast combo is in the cards, then having the Welder soak up the first removal spell would be a valid and reasonable line.

The key is that I am hard pressed to give a hard and fast answer. I would say most of the time the Grindstone is wrong and Welder would be reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Oh yeah and the new Blood Moon type card has no place in the deck.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Thread Information