Page 224 of 258 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Why lightning bolt over sudden shock?
    I played locally last night and was playing against miracles. He has counterbalance lock but I am already ticking up a chandra and he is digging for a way to deal with it. With Chandra just ticked up to 7 he flashes in V. Clique at end of my turn and targets me. I have sudden shock in hand and kill the clique in response. He scoops. Anything else would not have gotten there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I agree. I think sudden shock is the best option. Kills mentors and pyromancers before they can make a bunch of tokens. Kills revokers that could potentially gain protection with mother of ruins. Kills death rites before they can activate. The only thing I really miss regarding lightning bolt is being able to bolt in response to a jace brainstorm.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

I had sudden shock for a while. I didn't like having it in against miracles. I'm usually not on the damage plan and if I am it's because of planeswalkers which are hard enough for them to deal with. It answers mentor but I think having bridge in is a better answer forthat. It dies to judgment and wear//tear but they're being overloaded anyway and I don't want to get blown out by a surprise entreat which sudden shock just doesn't interact with.

The other thing I like about firebolt is with it being one mana I can kill a Drs on the draw without using an accelerant.

That all being said I think any of the three options are defensible.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

So I recently bought into MTGO and think i'm going to be streaming painter when I can. Probably no webcam or microphone since i'm too lazy to set them up but https://www.twitch.tv/affinityformountains is the stream.

Did a trial run yesterday to make sure all my stream settings were okay and the video is saved to to my recent broadcasts. Nothing really of interest minus that game against the Reid Duke BUG deck he won Louisville with. The Reid Duke BUG game starts at about 53:00, or just click this.

What are our toughest match-ups these days?

Quote Originally Posted by henweigh View Post
    What are our toughest match-ups these days?
    The hardest matchups prevalent in the meta right now in my opinon are u/r delver, sneak and show with cunning wish omni plan c, and any other blood moon deck with chalice (big red, dragon stompy). Ur is seeing more play agan because of bedlam reveler and storm chaser mage, red stompy because of chandra, and sneak is including omni/wish as an out to hate.

Unlike most tempo decks that just fold to moon, newer UR builds don't care about moon at all, have a clock almost as fast as burn's, doesn't care about sphere of law, and has all the removal and countermagic they need to deal with our plan. I find this to be an almost impossible match up on MTGO, and in my opinion against a skilled player it's one of our worst right now.

Sneak with Omni plan C and wish has an out to bridge even game one, which kills our traditional response to this deck. I still have a decent number of wins against them from still using bridge and blasts to stall while I assemble the 3 card crypt/stone/painter combo.

Other red stompy decks don't care about moon and force us to deal with chalice. They also run fiery confluence main, which is an absolute blowout against us. These decks are increasingly popular with the printing of new chandra.

EDIT:: forgot b/r reanimator. This matchup is 100% bridge or bust game 1, then game 2 is mull to grave hate and enlightened tutor and pray you can land it before they kill you. If this deck is still popular when Vegas rolls around I may go up to an additional crypt

Fortunately we still have a fairly strong advantage over most popular tier 1 decks right now, which is where painter wants to be. Fatal push + basic swamp is becoming more popular but you just need to be aware of that and play around it.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfrosting View Post
    The hardest matchups prevalent in the meta right now in my opinon are u/r delver, sneak and show with cunning wish omni plan c, and any other blood moon deck with chalice (big red, dragon stompy). Ur is seeing more play agan because of bedlam reveler and storm chaser mage, red stompy because of chandra, and sneak is including omni/wish as an out to hate.

Unlike most tempo decks that just fold to moon, newer UR builds don't care about moon at all, have a clock almost as fast as burn's, doesn't care about sphere of law, and has all the removal and countermagic they need to deal with our plan. I find this to be an almost impossible match up on MTGO, and in my opinion against a skilled player it's one of our worst right now.

Sneak with Omni plan C and wish has an out to bridge even game one, which kills our traditional response to this deck. I still have a decent number of wins against them from still using bridge and blasts to stall while I assemble the 3 card crypt/stone/painter combo.

Other red stompy decks don't care about moon and force us to deal with chalice. They also run fiery confluence main, which is an absolute blowout against us. These decks are increasingly popular with the printing of new chandra.

EDIT:: forgot b/r reanimator. This matchup is 100% bridge or bust game 1, then game 2 is mull to grave hate and enlightened tutor and pray you can land it before they kill you. If this deck is still popular when Vegas rolls around I may go up to an additional crypt

Fortunately we still have a fairly strong advantage over most popular tier 1 decks right now, which is where painter wants to be. Fatal push + basic swamp is becoming more popular but you just need to be aware of that and play around it.
    I will agree with @pinkfrosting on this.

UR burn (or just burn) is miserable. Especially if they know what's up with our game plan. I have found a combination of trinisphere and sphere of law in beating them.

Sneak and show: I agree with you on this. Ethersworn canonist is very strong defending against thier cunning wish hate. Still a tight rope of a matchup.

Dragon stompy: eff this matchup. Very annoying overall. The key here is resolving Chandra and sphere of law. Beware of the hundreds of fiery confluence and Chandra they run.

RB reanimator: I truly hate this matchup it feels awful. Bridge is critical. And welder is a great way to secure your bridge. I have lost many games to the eventual tidespout tyrant. Trinisphere, crypt, welder and bridge are very helpful in this match up. You opponents will often feel most comfortable with sire of insanity which favours welder - use it to your advantage.

On mtgo I have gone up to 2 sphere of law because of the stupid amount of Dragon Stompy and burn. 3 crypts and 4 welders for other decks like RB reanimator.

I have been experimenting with 4 welders and 4 tops in an effort to leverage our goblin welders as they are truly our best creatures.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Tonight was rough, bombed outta 3 leagues... should have stopped after the 2nd, but thought just maybe I could turn it around

I've found that against this match up a T1 painter with pyroblast backup delays them enough. But I do have a better matchup than most due to running 1 RIP main.

What are people's thoughts on having gemstone cavern (I believe that's what it's called) in the 75 against fast combo decks?

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Valleysdai View Post
    I've found that against this match up a T1 painter with pyroblast backup delays them enough. But I do have a better matchup than most due to running 1 RIP main.

What are people's thoughts on having gemstone cavern (I believe that's what it's called) in the 75 against fast combo decks?
    Uhhh BR reanimate means your blasts are pretty much dead. Against UB sure I hear you.

If they chancellor you often you can run your welder into it to "turn off" thier exhume.

I won't argue with MD RIP. I ran that for a while but it was just to dead most games and nonbo with welder.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    Uhhh BR reanimate means your blasts are pretty much dead. Against UB sure I hear you.

If they chancellor you often you can run your welder into it to "turn off" thier exhume.

I won't argue with MD RIP. I ran that for a while but it was just to dead most games and nonbo with welder.

He said: T1 Painter, then blast them. Then that is a reliable method. However, you have to win the dieroll and have an opener of: Tomb, Painter, SSG & Blast to be able to interact on their T1. Pretty low chances I think (I'm no mathwizz, so no number to point that out).

A Welder in the GY won't stop them from playing Exhume. Grizz>Sire>>>>>>>>>Welder

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

I don't think that the Br reanimator match is that bad. Honestly i'd take it over the UB matchup where if they get a griselbrand online you've just straight up lost the game. I really feel like if I don't get turn 1 sired you have a pretty good shot at winning the game. At worst your hand gets shredded but we have some insane top decks, also we play enough fast mana to make Chancellor's force spike ability kind of irrevelant.

As far as dragon stompy matchup is about 50/50 and it just depends on whoever gets their haymakers online the quickest. On paper I think we're the better deck as we don't have 8-10 dead cards in our maindeck usually only 4-5 and we have this random combo finish.

Honestly the worst matchups for this deck are pretty much the same and are probably going to stay the same unless they print some super OP red card (hahaha). Burn and any of it's variants, any turn 1-2 combo deck, show and tell decks (omni > sneak/12 post ) and decks that just play a ton of removal like Jund.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    I don't think that the Br reanimator match is that bad. Honestly i'd take it over the UB matchup where if they get a griselbrand online you've just straight up lost the game. I really feel like if I don't get turn 1 sired you have a pretty good shot at winning the game. At worst your hand gets shredded but we have some insane top decks, also we play enough fast mana to make Chancellor's force spike ability kind of irrevelant.

As far as dragon stompy matchup is about 50/50 and it just depends on whoever gets their haymakers online the quickest. On paper I think we're the better deck as we don't have 8-10 dead cards in our maindeck usually only 4-5 and we have this random combo finish.

Honestly the worst matchups for this deck are pretty much the same and are probably going to stay the same unless they print some super OP red card (hahaha). Burn and any of it's variants, any turn 1-2 combo deck, show and tell decks (omni > sneak/12 post ) and decks that just play a ton of removal like Jund.
    UB reanimator is slower and more reliant on cantrips that we can blast, and plays less main deck hand disruption. BR is faster, can unmask and thoughtseize any small amount of interacton we have, and runs more fast mana and basics to void our moons. If you're actually at all positive in your win/loss against this deck please share your secret with me.

I'd agree on stompy except you didn't mention chalice, which is actually a pretty great card against us. Sure, in magical Christmas land we resolve a welder or grindstone before they land it every time, but in reality chalice definitely weights this match up against us. Even if we do land the welder or stone the main deck fiery confluence often kills what we can sneak in under chalice. On top of all this their beats are very fast, not giving us much time to combo, especially if there's a chalice or needle in the way.

Jund is really tough game one, I consider it a bad but not awful matchup. Moon is actually quite good against them and post board we can take out all the stuff the dies to p-fire and extra blasts and it gets a lot better. I also bring in some bolt effects for bob. I actually enjoy this matchup, its hard but I wouldn't call it one of the worst.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

UB reanimator is slower and more reliant on cantrips that we can blast, and plays less main deck hand disruption. BR is faster, can unmask and thoughtseize any small amount of interacton we have, and runs more fast mana and basics to void our moons. If you're actually at all positive in your win/loss against this deck please share your secret with me.

I'd agree on stompy except you didn't mention chalice, which is actually a pretty great card against us. Sure, in magical Christmas land we resolve a welder or grindstone before they land it every time, but in reality chalice definitely weights this match up against us. Even if we do land the welder or stone the main deck fiery confluence often kills what we can sneak in under chalice. On top of all this their beats are very fast, not giving us much time to combo, especially if there's a chalice or needle in the way.

Jund is really tough game one, I consider it a bad but not awful matchup. Moon is actually quite good against them and post board we can take out all the stuff the dies to p-fire and extra blasts and it gets a lot better. I also bring in some bolt effects for bob. I actually enjoy this matchup, its hard but I wouldn't call it one of the worst.
    I can't say that I have the biggest sample size against Br reanimator but i'm 8-3 in games against competent opponents. In paper my yard hate is 2 surgicals, 1 crypt. I usually try to mulligan to atleast one piece of hate, a quick combo or a hand with painter and blasts. My list is very different from yours though, I gear my game 1 to getting out the combo as soon as possible with 3 tutors and a LED instead of playing more like a stompy list.

Like I said the stompy matchup is about whoever gets their haymakers on the board the fastest and on paper I think we're the better deck.

Nov 2007
    Finland

I don't think that the Br reanimator match is that bad.
    vs.

Honestly the worst matchups for this deck are ... any turn 1-2 combo deck
    Quite a contradiction here.

This is one of the matchups where Bridge is too slow and blasts have exactly one target in 75 cards without a painter out. Not a matchup I would want to play regularly.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    vs.

Quite a contradiction here.

This is one of the matchups where Bridge is too slow and blasts have exactly one target in 75 cards without a painter out. Not a matchup I would want to play regularly.
    Hehe

In an ideal world I would never have to play against Rb reanimator but out of all the turn 1-2 decks in the format I do not think the matchup is as bad as people are making it out to be (it's still bad though, I didn't say it wasn't). When you can get turn 1 belchered, sneak attacked/breached or tendriled putting out a flying force spike and/or shredding someone's hand with griselbrand + discard doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

My $0.02...
    BR reanimator in my opinion can be a rough MU and is single-handedly the reason I added 2 surgical extraction to my board. Obviously I keep a hand with this or a tormods crypt or e.tutor to get it. An opening hand with a welder in it is also good as you don't necessarily get blown out by Sire. I know I am over 50% against this MU.

I played in a big cash tourney yesterday and went down to Storm (with a Canonist out game and him at 1 life he maindecks an abrupt decay and gets there. Game 2 I have revoker, 3sphere and combo on the board, he recalls my artifacts and proceeds to go off....bad beats) and also lost to Red stompy. I would argue that this MU is awful. I lost with a bridge and sphere of law out. He has 3 chalice of the void and beats me with Chandra. Between 4 x chalice, Chandra and fiery confluence, it is hard to assemble the combo. They also bring in a bunch of burn so nothing of consequence gets to stay on the board on our side. If this deck really gains in popularity I will probably go back to leyline in the board as they do really help against some of our worst MUs (red stompy, storm and burn, not to mention discard decks).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I can't say that I have the biggest sample size against Br reanimator but i'm 8-3 in games against competent opponents. In paper my yard hate is 2 surgicals, 1 crypt. I usually try to mulligan to atleast one piece of hate, a quick combo or a hand with painter and blasts. My list is very different from yours though, I gear my game 1 to getting out the combo as soon as possible with 3 tutors and a LED instead of playing more like a stompy list.

Like I said the stompy matchup is about whoever gets their haymakers on the board the fastest and on paper I think we're the better deck.
    E-tutor really doesn't make much of a difference game 1 against what is probably the fastest tier 1-2 combo deck popular atm. You're still likely not combo-ing off until turn 3. On top of that even with a turn 2 hand if your opener doesn't have the whole combo, a fast mana, and a sol land every time, you're vulnerable to hand disruption. If you're averaging games where BR actually gives you 3 undisrupted turns I'd chalk it up to variance and small sample size.

Surgical is one card I haven't tried though, and that probably gives you a big out in this matchup. It's the best card against them, I may cut my Rip and something else for 2 surgicals.

Either way I'd say our percentage points against ANT are unarguably better. Post board we bring in trinisphere, canonist, and grave hate. Moon and blasts are far more relevant. My match win % in paper and on mtgo is positive against them, and I'd much rather play against that or even sneak than BR.

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

For those of you running faerie macabre, how much do you find yourself recruiting for it over something else?

Debating playing one this weekend, bringing me up to 3 grave hate pieces, (crypt, and rip)

I've been brewing different deck ideas with painter (all of which are terrible) and showed one of my friend's who loves to brew and he made a painter storm list that can actually go off T2 with the combo:

Sorcery (14)
    2x Cabal Therapy
    1x Duress
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    3x Infernal Tutor
    1x Past in Flames
    2x Ponder
    1x Tendrils of Agony

Artifact (14)
    4x Grindstone
    3x Lion's Eye Diamond
    4x Lotus Petal
    3x Mox Opal

Land (15)
    1x Island
    2x Misty Rainforest
    4x Polluted Delta
    2x Scalding Tarn
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea
    1x Volcanic Island

Creature (3)
    3x Painter's Servant

Instant (14)
    1x Ad Nauseam
    3x Brainstorm
    3x Cabal Ritual
    4x Dark Ritual
    2x High Tide
    1x Paradoxical Outcome

Sideboard (15)
    4x Daze
    2x Flusterstorm
    2x Force of Will
    1x Past in Flames
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Unmask

Got snowed in so played a bunch of mtgo (just bought in yesterday)
    got to play a long grueling game against a miracles player (I had to leave after one game)
    chandra got it done.
    Definitely some misplays as I was distracted and forgot what was on top of his deck a few times.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/128704728

other videos show my attempts at playing painter when in cabin fever mode.

chandra + top > jace + counter/top

got the emblem out then just manipulated library to cast cheap cards into countertop lock for the win

Thread Information