Page 105 of 258 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    I would argue that chandra Pyro master is that red planeswalker right now. I played her as a one of in the sideboard last night. She was a house against miracles. With top you are almost brainstorming and her bounce ability actually just kills things. One game I had bridge, koth, moon, chandra.... I've been more impressed with chandra then koth lately.
    I hate Chandra. She has 1 relevant ability and can't win the game. Koth has 2 great abilities from the start, and the ultimate wins the game (usually).

I'm going to test 2 in the sideboard to really push him. I think Koth/bridge lock can really sure up some matchups like DnT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

To answer questions:

I already explained sword in the board. It's somewhere in the past few pages I'm not looking it up.

Pyrokinesis is card disadvantage. Firebolt is card advantage that I can cast on turn 1 to kill their deathrite/delver etc.

Boarding is subjective. Many times I'll take tutors out on the draw so I don't have to fetch a plateau and risk wasteland and then bring them back in. I'll also do it when I want better spell quality compared to speed against a control deck. same thing with petals. I'll keep them in/bring them back in so I can punish their slower draw and catch them off guard. Sneak show I take out dead cards and bring in less bad cards that's all there is to it.

Aggro plans can stall when they get grisel into play despite resistance. It's nice to have another backup beyond jaya/koth even if it's three cards

Any other matchups I can give theory and boarding plans in general but nothing is set in stone.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    I hate Chandra. She has 1 relevant ability and can't win the game. Koth has 2 great abilities from the start, and the ultimate wins the game (usually).
    I actually totally disagree with this. I've played both Koth and Chandra as one of's and have been much more impressed with Chandra. Both her first and second ability are relevant. There are plenty of one butt creatures that she kills and I've also been in the situation where I can still beat down under a bridge if my opponent has a big fatty out (eg Griselbrand). I know it's a corner case but it has happened. Against elves or death & taxes she is ridiculous. Also, along with top her second ability always draws a card every turn. That's as good as jace in the card draw department. I've had Koth in my hand too many times where it just did nothing. It has no defense and just dies to any creature based deck. Thus, he is only good in one or two matchups. I've actually taken to play one Chandra in the main after I played against the mirror and my opponent wrecked me with card advantage.

To Jack, I would encourage you to try pyrokinesis. It's almost never card disadvantage because you are almost always taking out at least 2 different creatures. It's instant speed is extremely relevant, especially against elves. Firebolts are a very minor hiccup against that M. U.. Pyro can blow them out. And worse case scenario, you can play it on turn zero, eg against oops all spells or something similar.

I just it could be pointed at the dome/planeswalkers.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post

I'm going to test 2 in the sideboard to really push him. I think Koth/bridge lock can really sure up some matchups like DnT

DnT. ..

I played it last night at my weekly tourney. We got in about 4 games, mainly because he beat me so fast each game. It should be said that he drew quite well in all instances (I.e., vial into mom and revoker every game).

I was excited to try out a card I have been trying to test for a while now but alas it never came up. The card in question? Wildfire emissary.

Protection from white; dodges swords, to big for bolt, no decay, name white for a TNN with fire breathing that can sneak under a bridge, carries equipment, and he is tutorable.

All that being said is he just a win more card?

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    DnT. ..

I played it last night at my weekly tourney. We got in about 4 games, mainly because he beat me so fast each game. It should be said that he drew quite well in all instances (I.e., vial into mom and revoker every game).

I was excited to try out a card I have been trying to test for a while now but alas it never came up. The card in question? Wildfire emissary.

Protection from white; dodges swords, to big for bolt, no decay, name white for a TNN with fire breathing that can sneak under a bridge, carries equipment, and he is tutorable.

All that being said is he just a win more card?
    Oh cool card! I would love to here if he works... Pro plow and a heavy beater.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Gonna play Jack's list tomorrow with almost the same board. Gonna feel good man

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Gonna play Jack's list tomorrow with almost the same board. Gonna feel good man

Yeah, what's funny is that after testing so many different cards in this deck and taking so many different approaches, I am only one land (basic plains for fetch) and 2 cards off in the main from what Jack played last week. I guess sometimes you just have to take separate paths to get to the same place. The list in general I think is very solid. What I most recently discovered is that the tops are vital and I went back up to 3. It's really about getting to your combo efficiently and quickly and top + welder + combo is really strong. People I play against online will still do everything they can to counter a painter when I already have a welder and grindstone on the board. I love the resiliency. This is the only deck I never get bored playing.

I just arrived in home now from a long training day =D

My results

2x0 Merfolk (with chalice in SB)
    2x1 Merfolk (with chalice in SB)
    0x2 Merfolk (with chalice in SB)
    2x0 ANT
    0x2 ANT
    2x0 ANT
    0x2 Belcher
    0x2 Belcher
    0x2 Belcher

Belcher sucks =/

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Were these preboard games? Id focus more on sideboard games honesty

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Agreed. One of the comments that was made to me when testing against Dredge was "Test post sideboard, those are the games you have a chance". If you are testing against a deck that game one is a long shot or an instant loss, just test with the sideboard in.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Got top 8 at a 35/40 man tournament after losing the first round and drawing the third. Matchups went like so:

1-2 UG Infect (friend from the same car ride)
    2-0 BUG
    1-1 UW Miracles
    2-0 DnT
    2-1 Esperblade (or UWb Stoneblade)
    2-0 RG Lands

Top8
    0-2 Sneak and Breach, mulliganed five times in two games. The guy cut my deck like a pro. Began both games with a revoker on Sneak Attack but he had TTB both times like it was a joke.

Didn't take notes but I can put together a little report if there is interest. Didn't really make any blunders like in my last tournament, I just drew poorly to lose those two matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Got top 8 at a 35/40 man tournament after losing the first round and drawing the third. Matchups went like so:

1-2 UG Infect (friend from the same car ride)
    2-0 BUG
    1-1 UW Miracles
    2-0 DnT
    2-1 Esperblade (or UWb Stoneblade)
    2-0 RG Lands

Top8
    0-2 Sneak and Breach, mulliganed five times in two games. The guy cut my deck like a pro. Began both games with a revoker on Sneak Attack but he had TTB both times like it was a joke.

Didn't take notes but I can put together a little report if there is interest. Didn't really make any blunders like in my last tournament, I just drew poorly to lose those two matchups.
    How was the DnT matchup. This is one of the trickier matchups I'm trying to get a handle on... Especially games 2/3

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Well, my opponent wasn't the best. I played to my strengths and he gave me plenty of opportunities to get ahead or win. this particular match wasn't a challenge but in general you need to combo with protection or win with permanents they have trouble with like bridge, moon and jaya.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Took 1st out of 25 players today - good enough for a Tropical Island and a bye for a local premium event.

Matchups were:

R1 BR Reanimator 2-1
    R2 Merfolk 2-1
    R3 Deat and Taxes 2-0
    R4 Grixis goodstuff 1-2
    R5 ID

Quarters: UWR Miracles 2-0
    Semis: Esper Deathblade 2-0
    Finals: BUG Delver 2-0

The deck was very good for this meta. Sideboard should always reflect current meta expectations.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Grindstone
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Goblin Welder
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

//Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Viashino Heretic
    1 Manic Vandal
    2 Sudden Demise
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

So many Magma Jets, so few welders.

Like the list however, glad you got some today

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    Took 1st out of 25 players today - good enough for a Tropical Island and a bye for a local premium event.

Matchups were:

R1 BR Reanimator 2-1
    R2 Merfolk 2-1
    R3 Deat and Taxes 2-0
    R4 Grixis goodstuff 1-2
    R5 ID

Quarters: UWR Miracles 2-0
    Semis: Esper Deathblade 2-0
    Finals: BUG Delver 2-0

The deck was very good for this meta. Sideboard should always reflect current meta expectations.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    12 Mountain
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Lotus Petal
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Grindstone
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Goblin Welder

//Sideboard
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pyrokinesis
    1 Viashino Heretic
    1 Manic Vandal
    2 Sudden Demise
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    Congratulations! Why do you have no fetchs in your list?

They see me puntin'
    May 2010
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Congratulations! Why do you have no fetchs in your list?
    For what purpose..?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Top is normally an auto include. I expect he did not notice you did not have one.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Top is normally an auto include. I expect he did not notice you did not have one.
    Yes, no tops which leads to having zero reasons to play fetchlands.
    No tops because they don't contribute to the "drop bombs starting from turn 1" plan.
    Magma Jet is a mediocre burn spell but it comes with the ability to fix draws and kills Deathrite Shamans. Obviously it's a bad card in lists that play Sensei's Divining Top.

Welder is a must but one could have different approaches to the numbers. I play one to tutor on-demand. Maybe it makes sense to play more copies if you up the artifact count (tops).
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

So I wonder....

Do you guys ever wondered on, how Sylvan Library would be in our deck?

I'm aware that with multiple GW's and 2 SDT's, we can do, pretty much the same thing, and the interction with SDT and Chandra also does kinda the same, I guess...

But would we play Sylvan if let's say: it was red?

Thread Information