Page 117 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127167217 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Funny, the people at m LGS and I were just talking about how revoker is not very good right now. Daretti has been real good for me such far. I also continued testing against ur delver yesterday and won 6 out of 7 games in a row so I feel much better now. Continuing to tesmorrt tomorrow. Does anybody have suggestions for scary matchups they expect to see at NJ that I should be practicing for?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
    I am currently testing Daretti, Feldon, Dragons Claw.....and Sudden Shock on mtgo. Daretti so far has been nuts in the matchups I have had.

Sudden shock has been the nuts so far as well....one big thing I have found its ability to stop jitte from saving the creature. So many games I have lost because of a resolved jitte and one creature...now I just kill it and go on with my day.

I am in the anti revoker crowd. I like 1 in the main....2 not so much.....

Later EddieO
    Can you elaborate on what exactly Daretti is doing that's making him nuts? I haven't tested but I'm curious to know why you think he's so good. Is it the repeatable looting, or reanimation, or both?

Jan 2013
    Ontario, Canada

Imperial Painter is garbage at my LGS

No one owns dual lands... Burn and 10-12 forest Elves are good against Blood Moon decks I guess
    Pox
    Imperial Painter
    Team America

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Sorry Will. Imperial painter is for developed meta games. Your better off playing something very powerful like sneak and show.

Jan 2013
    Ontario, Canada

Yes, I thought so...

Thanks for your confirmations though, srs

Back to ReAnimator and Show and Tell based decks for this guy I guess...

---

On topic

Has anyone grinded any games yet with Daretti?

Is the 4 mana, Daze wet dream, spell piercable target worth? I haven't played magic since Commander '14
    Pox
    Imperial Painter
    Team America

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

So I have been able to do some testing with Daretti and I can't say I'm in love with it. What'd I've found is that by the time he hits the table I don't have any cards in my hand. So I'm usually always deciding if I want to play the card I draw, pitch it to Daretti, etc. I feel like Chandra basically gives you more options, not to mention being able to ping off one toughness creatures. Granted, I've only tested it in tougher matchups like miracles and elves. One thing I do like about Daretti is that he lets you get past counterbalance and chalice off the void locks with his recursion. But other than that, I usually wish he was a Chandra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mgoldman View Post
    Can you elaborate on what exactly Daretti is doing that's making him nuts? I haven't tested but I'm curious to know why you think he's so good. Is it the repeatable looting, or reanimation, or both?
    Repeatable looting really....I basically dropped back to mono red....and with active welder going, the looting is honestly that good so far. The ability to toss only one card as well has proved very good. The reanimate I have only used a few times....the couple times I hit the ultimate have been game over as well....though Koth going ultimate would of won as well...

Sudden Shock has been very good as well.....

And yes, Painter sucks ass in an area without a lot of duals....basically game 1 of most matches you are sitting on 4-5 dead cards in your deck....

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    Funny, the people at m LGS and I were just talking about how revoker is not very good right now. Daretti has been real good for me such far. I also continued testing against ur delver yesterday and won 6 out of 7 games in a row so I feel much better now. Continuing to tesmorrt tomorrow. Does anybody have suggestions for scary matchups they expect to see at NJ that I should be practicing for?
    How are you playing the matchup, like what are you prioritizing? Also, how have you been boarding?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

And more importantly is the guy playing UR delver against you good at it? It's important that your testing yield results that make you a better painter and not the play testing champion

Quote Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
    Repeatable looting really....I basically dropped back to mono red....and with active welder going, the looting is honestly that good so far. The ability to toss only one card as well has proved very good. The reanimate I have only used a few times....the couple times I hit the ultimate have been game over as well....though Koth going ultimate would of won as well...

Sudden Shock has been very good as well.....

And yes, Painter sucks ass in an area without a lot of duals....basically game 1 of most matches you are sitting on 4-5 dead cards in your deck....
    I rarely get to use the welder, they always seem to have the removal before he comes online. I was thinking with Daretti his -2 ability is like a welder with haste. Would you mind posting your list?

I tested yesterday with 3 sudden shock maindeck and they were great, especially against UR Delver. Sphere of law is a house against UR delver too.
    Last edited by mgoldman; 11-09-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

This coming Sunday is the yearly open champs and I'm going to pre-board for Cruise decks. As of late, they have been the only losses I've had in tournament match play. Call this the prediction of a UR/Esper/BUG cruise decks, burn and other aggro decks, and combo. My solutions for this type of metagame are cutting Jaya, a Top, and a Revoker for 3 maindeck Sudden Shock. It takes care of just about anything, and has favorable interactions with Jitte equiped creatures. I dropped the other Revoker to the sideboard for a Spellskite. It's about protecting the combo with all that spot removal out there. It's a sacrifice not having one or more MD revokers, but game this list is geared for game ones. In the side SFM, Batterskull, and Jitte take the place of Firebolts and an Ethersworn Canonist for a Sphere of Law. The last is a concession to some chat in this thread. I realize a big event is no time for testing, but the upside is what the deck needs to circumvent all that card advantage. Btw, I took Jack's 75 as reference to my own. Anyways, this is what I'm running, and yes I've considered going mono red. I just prefer shortcake.

1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Plateau
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors

3 Simian Spirit Guide
    2 Lotus Petal
    1 Spellskite
    1 Magus of the Moon
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Pyroblast
    4 Grindstone
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sudden Shock
    3 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Painter
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Sensei's Divining Top

Manic Vandal is coming back in for Viashino Heretic, another preference. Sometimes you just gotta destroy something immediately. The tournament itself is capped at 120 players, with cash prizes. I miss Jaya but recently she's been a 1RR gain 3 life sorcery. Best to cut it for something new, but all these changes come with a gameplan.
    SB:
    1 Stoneforge Mystic
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sphere of Law
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ratchet Bomb

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by 264505 View Post
    How are you playing the matchup, like what are you prioritizing? Also, how have you been boarding?
    I was still boarding how I mentioned on the previous page (taking out the majority of the creatures for everything in my board but koth and ethersworn canonist.) My logic was that their deck is so full of removal that all I seemed to be doing was just casting creatures that had no impact on the game with the exception of painter's servant itself. Cutting jaya felt wrong but she just died constantly and bringing in manic vandal without recruiter felt odd at first but once I started to think of the card as a sorcery rather than toolbox creature it felt a lot better. I've just been playing the matchup as a super controlly deck. Sphere of Law is an absolute beating for that deck as is ensnaring bridge, especially with daretti helping make sure I don't get expensive cards/lands clogged in my hand. I was not testing against a tier one player yesterday but the guy knew what he was doing not to mention I played the deck so I pointed out anything that appeared suboptimal, today I tested against kevin jones who is hands down very good. It didn't go as well as yesterday but even the games I lost felt very good and he usually only had one out and just got sorta lucky (I say sorta because there is so much dig in that deck. He agreed that my sideboarding seemed correct and that he felt like he was in a losing spot a lot of the time there.

Daretti has been good for me. I have learned to love ensnaring bridge a lot and that card makes e bridge so much better. I get missing chandra but I feel like the dig that daretti provides is phenomenal, I ulted it once which actyually ended up being what won me the game. I actually rarely use the welder ability but it is obviously good in a deck where welder is so amazing.

Removal used on Welder is less removal on painter....I'll take it any day.

Here is my list on MTGO....just trying stuff right now. I may test my R/B list again, as I always had the most success with it...the additional sideboard value it ads is worth it.

4 Painter's Servant
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Goblin Welder
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Grindstone
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Lotus Petal
    6 Mountain
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Great Furnace
    3 Sudden Shock
    2 Daretti, Scrap Savant

Side
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Trinsphere
    1 Sudden Shoock
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Dragon's Claw
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

I played yesterday: my results:

2x0 Deathblade 4-colors
    1x2 Deathblade 4-colors
    0x2 Belcher
    2x1 Belcher
    1x2 Belcher
    2x0 ANT
    2x1 ANT

My list:

Main deck (60 cartas)

3 City of Traitors
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    4 Ancient Tomb

2 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Painter's Servant

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Grindstone
    2 Enlightened Tutor

Sideboard (15 cartas)

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Manic Vandal

2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sphere of Law
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Lightning Bolt

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

@EddieO

Whats the black for?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    I played yesterday: my results:

2x0 Deathblade 4-colors
    1x2 Deathblade 4-colors
    0x2 Belcher
    2x1 Belcher
    1x2 Belcher
    2x0 ANT
    2x1 ANT

My list:

Main deck (60 cartas)

3 City of Traitors
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Great Furnace
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    2 Arid Mesa
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    4 Ancient Tomb

2 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Goblin Welder
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Painter's Servant

4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Grindstone
    2 Enlightened Tutor

Sideboard (15 cartas)

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Manic Vandal

2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sphere of Law
    2 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Lightning Bolt
    Very similar list to what I play. Only differences in main are Chandra instead of Koth and a ratchet bomb for one recruiter. I play a very different sideboard though and I could suggest that if you want to improve your belcher matchup (or oops all spells or other turn one decks) you need to play Leyline or some other turn zero answer.
    Also, isn't sphere of law a 4cc spell? Isn't that typically the turn you die against Burn? Its effect seems fine. Just seems a little spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Also, isn't sphere of law a 4cc spell? Isn't that typically the turn you die against Burn? Its effect seems fine. Just seems a little spendy.

Turn 3 would probably be average to cast it, turn 2 definitely possible. For me it's more for UR delver. burn is practically unwinnable without dedicating tons of sb space to it. I've given up trying to plan for burn and am just hoping to avoid it in NJ.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by mgoldman View Post
    Turn 3 would probably be average to cast it, turn 2 definitely possible. For me it's more for UR delver. burn is practically unwinnable without dedicating tons of sb space to it. I've given up trying to plan for burn and am just hoping to avoid it in NJ.
    I've said it before. EVERY match I have won in tournaments has been because of spellskite. That being said it is by far our worst matchup and in a large tournament I would likely just hope to not play against it, although this may explain why we haven't seen painter putting up the numbers lately......

Here's the list I'm going to run in side events on Friday. Any comments would be appreciated.

2 Goblin Welder
    3 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Magus of the Moon
    4 Painter's Servant
    2 Simian Spirit Guide
    1 Spellskite

1 Daretti, scrap savant

4 Blood Moon
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Grindstone
    3 Lotus Petal
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Sudden Shock

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 City of Traitors
    1 Great Furnace
    4 Mountain
    2 Plateau
    2 Wooded Foothills

SIDEBOARD
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Koth of the Hammer
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Sphere of Law
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Trinisphere

@mgoldman i think its really important to put 2 thorn of amethyst in your SB. You can cast in T1 against belcher, ANT, TES, all Spells, hypergenesis... Casting this in t1 is GG against these matches.

Another thing.. I guess 2 ratchet bomb is a cool number nowadays, because there are many UR delvers, is great against miracles, DaT, belcher and TES (empty the warrens), elves..

Thread Information