Page 197 of 258 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247 ... LastLast
Results 3,921 to 3,940 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

No Columbus. Eternal weekend for me.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Took down this month's Legacy Challenge on Magic Online. Report to come
    Sweet! Standard deck list from page 2 or something spicy? You still playing Ajani?
    I completely forgot about the Legacy challenge. I even had it on my calendar

So I ended up throwing the RiP/helm combo with two Nahiri into my SB. It was actually really good in certain MUs (eg Miracles). Every opening hand just felt very powerful. I'm trying to be the "aggressor" in those MUs and just dropping threats every turn and that seems to work the best. The strategy also works well against 12 post, etc.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Fortune View Post

Anyone here going to GP Columbus?
    I'm going but have yet to decide if I'm playing painter or not. Set the deck down after a strong of frustrating events. But I haven't played much legacy lately so it's likely this or uwr delver, the two decks I'm most comfortable with. Trying to get out somewhere so I can try nahiri out. She's been great for me in modern. I'm expecting something similar here.

Nice reading as always and congrats on yet another awesome result! Keep on rolling!

Good job for the result + the sweet report !

My list is pretty close to yours for the main board, but my sideboard is kinda different. I would be happy to have some advices and explanations about the choices :)

my list:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Plateau
    1 Great Furnace
    3 Mountain
    1 Plains
    1 Flooded Strand => 20 lands, when I go on 19 I often get landless hands and bad mull

4 Lotus Petal => 1 more petal than classic lists, more t1 BM, could be replaced by LED
    2 Simian Spirit Guide

4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Phyrexian Revoker => cool in various situations, but still not sure for the mainboard
    2 Imperial Recruiter => I'd pref 3 recruiters and 2 e tutor but... meh $$$
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

4 Pyroblast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    3 Enlightened Tutor

4 Blood Moon
    4 Grindstone
    2 Ensnaring Bridge => often cut after sb, are they still relevant in x2 ?
    3 Sensei's Divining Top

SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity => love them for stupid decks that targets you, and with fast all-in (belcher, storm) + against burn + sometimes against liliana heavy decks
    SB: 2 Misdirection => the funky spot. Absolutely wonderful vs burn or vs abrupt decay/tourach (lot of shardless in my local meta)
    SB: 2 Pyrokinesis
    SB: 1 Pyroclasm
    SB: 1 Sulfur Elemental
    SB: 1 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Koth of the Hammer => don't know why Adjani would be better. Still have a lot of difficulties to beat miracles tho
    SB: 1 Warmth => vs burn, storm
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 Duergar Hedge-Mage => testing this atm, I used to play fiery confluence instead

I'd love to add x4 bolts, the engineered explosives, the Adjanis...etc but I feel like it will make balanced math-ups easier, and hard match-ups enven harder. Can someone explain me the optimized sb choices in the current meta ?

Man you are gonna make me track down a LED for Columbus. Also some Sulfur Elementals. May just stick with Pyrokenesis though.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Good report. I like that you added the LED back. You mentioned that you would consider cutting revoker...what would you add in its place? This list seems very focused on getting the combo. How has the single bridge been? I would have a hard time going to one. I am currently at two main and one in SB. They are so strong against so many strategies: Emrakul decks (S&S, 12 Post), Stompy Eldrazi, Goyf, MUD, fish, etc. I guess you could make the argument that the extra tutor makes up for it as it can fetch it.
    I do definitely agree with the concept of using Planeswalkers to ouch Miracles into an active "must interact" mode. Just still surprised by Ajani. Although curious, do you bring Ajani in against burn?

Anyway, again well done. Thanks for the report.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Thanks everyone first off.

@nouille

Optimized boarding plans are list specific. I'm not really sure what I would do with the one you posted. For starters I don't play a plains, and I don't worry about trying to make the burn matchup easier. It's just not worth the space.

@Dan

I probably won't cut the revoker, it was more along the lines of saying you could probably chop it if you wanted the bare minimum recruiter package (basically jaya + magus + extra welders). If you held a gun to my head and told me to cut it from the 75? Either explosives main with the 7th blast side or just put the blast main.

Having only the one bridge has been pretty good since there are still a couple decks out there where it just sucks against in the first game. I still have the second one in the board. Plus like you mentioned the third tutor makes finding it roughly the same. Ajani was chosen over Koth because it didn't really do anything if you couldn't get to your ultimate. I've been lucky and haven't faced burn yet while playing ajani, but yes I would definitely bring it in.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

I've recently switched out the two nahiris in the board for two ajanis and it really has been great, especially against miracles. Holding up blasts for their business spells like counter balance and jace really helps and once they are low in resources I have just been slamming Ajani down and tapping permanents. I was able to ultimate once and it might have been the sweetest thing ever watching all the lands of a miracles player go into the bin. Thanks Jack. My main deck is the same as Jack's. My board is

3 lightning bolt- still might consider putting sudden shocks in place as they can deal with mentors a little easier.
    2 sulfur elemental- pretty much tilts the D&T match up way in our favor if it is drawn. Also great for mentors.
    2 containment priest- lots of sneak and show, big red, and cloudpost in my meta so I felt I needed this.
    2 ajani
    1 rest in peace
    1 thorn of amathyst- I think this is better the the 3ball since it doesn't effect your creatures and if it's out it only makes your blasts cost 2 instead of 3. I seem to have a good record vs storm between only having this and canonist.
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 ensnaring bridge- wish I could have at least one more main or sideboard for the eldrazi.
    1 sphere of law- still come burn players floating around in all the lgs I frequent. Might consider cutting for a 3rd Reb but that burn match up is pretty crappy. At least they are over fairly quick.
    1 hedge Mage

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    2 sulfur elemental- pretty much tilts the D&T match up way in our favor if it is drawn. Also great for mentors.
    I feel like people mention this card fairly often. DO you guys struggle against D&T? I've found I've never lost to it outside of the people from my local store who I've played the matchup with a bunch of times? Not sure if it's all the practice I've got, if I approach the matchup differently, or if my opponents are just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapson View Post
    I feel like people mention this card fairly often. DO you guys struggle against D&T? I've found I've never lost to it outside of the people from my local store who I've played the matchup with a bunch of times? Not sure if it's all the practice I've got, if I approach the matchup differently, or if my opponents are just bad.
    I definitely have a positive record against it but the more turns the game goes in that match up the grinder the game gets. I actually had one game where we both had a crazy prison going on where I had out probably 3 bridges and he had multiple revokers and needles on grindstone. I ended up conceding because I had 12 cards left in my library while he had 17.
    Sulfur elemental kind of closes out that match up quicker if you draw it. I feel like the times I have beaten D&T without sulfur elemental it was also due to my opponent misplacing whether they tried equipping a sword of fire and ice to their creature while I have a painter on blue or grabbing a sword of fire and ice or batterskull instead of jitte, or keeping a hand with no basic plains and I land an early moon.

Apr 2015
    Oslo, Norway

The main reason is for Mentor, but I wouldn't mind having extra gas against DnT either. The matchups is favorable, but an early Mother can be problematic when they start chaining Revokers and Taxers we can't handle easily.

Jun 2012
    Finland

I think I need some suggestions to win against the Eldrazi menace. Their game 1 Chalice of the Void is awful against us and it feels that even the Blood Moon isn't enough sometimes against them. Been thinking of adding one Manic Vandal to main...

Planning on bringing Painter to GP Prague in a few weeks and I'm definitely testing the shit out of those Ajanis before that. I'm using Jacks list without the LED.

edit.
    Also Wizards is writing about Legacy: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...acy-2016-05-20 and our combo is the there too! Painter + Grindstone reprint confirmed in EMA?!

I'm going Mono Red for the GP.

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    I'm going Mono Red for the GP.
    Care to share the list?

May 2016
    Cincinnati, OH

I'll be at the GP, more than likely playing Nahiri Painter, probably going to be at Eternal Weekend too, but depends on my fall schedule for college.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Avez View Post
    I think I need some suggestions to win against the Eldrazi menace. Their game 1 Chalice of the Void is awful against us and it feels that even the Blood Moon isn't enough sometimes against them. Been thinking of adding one Manic Vandal to main...

Planning on bringing Painter to GP Prague in a few weeks and I'm definitely testing the shit out of those Ajanis before that. I'm using Jacks list without the LED.

edit.
    Also Wizards is writing about Legacy: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...acy-2016-05-20 and our combo is the there too! Painter + Grindstone reprint confirmed in EMA?!
    Well, I am currently running the list with a black splash and two kolaghans command in the main. This is mostly a meta choice though because I have a fair number of Omnitell players in my local right now and I want slaughter games in my board. For a normal r/w list just make sure you are running more copies of ensnaring bridge/moat. Blood moon is obviously very strong against them although I have recently seen some lists run a couple copies of wastes to get around moon. Otherwise I think you would be better off playing e.e. or ratchet bomb over a manic vandal main just because it has more utility and they also will commonly have more than one chalice on the board. Speaking of which, I have been leaning a little toward ratchet bomb over e.e. because with a moon out you can't set e.e. on zero.

As for grindstone in EMA, that grindstone in the article was from tempest remastered online. I do hope I can get some foil grindstones though

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

I'm sorry but why can't one e.e. for zero, ever(obv other vacuum situations)?

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    I'm sorry but why can't one e.e. for zero, ever(obv other vacuum situations)?
    I think maybe he means if they have a chalice on zero maybe and you want to get around it by tapping a tomb or city of colorless ( the counters it comes into play with are equal to each color spent on it)

Thread Information