Page 207 of 258 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

With regards to main deck tutor targets I'm believing more and more that pure speed with zero targets beyond magus and jaya is the best course of action in game 1. Especially considering that targeted hate for the deck (needle wear tear etc) will be non existent. I'm probably going to chop maindeck revoker for something, not sure yet but I'll post a newer list when the meta settles. Pretty sure an LED is probably the right call main if you're at 3 tutors.

Also painter homies I'll be driving out to Cali so I'm looking to maybe crash at some places along the way two weeks from now. If anyone wants to hang for a night hit me up with a PM.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post

Now this guy looks like a nice addition to our sideboard!
    Put it on three against S&T-Decks, put it on two against storm, as well as having a working protection against abrupt decay...

thoughts?
    Yes! This set is really trying to be nice to us. This guy seems very strong in the board as you mentioned. I will definitely at least play around with this card for a while and see how it performs.
    However, I was playing around with new Daretti and he actually seems very clunky. I think you would be better off building around him, welder, entomb and maybe looting and reanimate and just play some artifact reanimation thing. It's not good at putting a combo together though because you never seem to have the right pieces at the right time. Our R/W build seems much more efficient at getting what you need with tutors. If someone else comes up with a list that works though, I would love to see it.

@valleydai: your newest list only seems to run 17 lands or did I just count that wrong? That seems uber greedy and I think you would mulligan a lot to 0-1 land hands.

I also am in agreement with Jack that, especially game one, you don't need most of the supporting cast line revokers and such as you are just trying to combo off faster than they can win. Having said that, I still play 1 X Canonist main to help head off combo decks that can be faster than us (storm, Omnitell, elves, belcher, etc). I like Canonist because she also protects our combo. If you land painter with Canonist out and three mana up, you basically win the game. I am also playing 7 blasts main and the Nahiri combo for decks that play chalice or Emrakul in their main. These are just personal preferences though. I don't play Jaya but if I weren't playing Nahiri then Jaya would have to be included in the main. I just found that I would usually much rather draw Nahiri over Jaya in most scenarios.

@Jack: well Minneapolis is probably a little out of your way but I would be happy to offer you our guest room for a night if your plans bring you to the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    @valleydai: your newest list only seems to run 17 lands or did I just count that wrong? That seems uber greedy and I think you would mulligan a lot to 0-1 land hands.
    Yeah, there are only 17 lands, I did have 18 but was told by a more experienced player to have 17 and run an extra petal to speed it up due to having a lot of lotuses and simians.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Which experienced people? All the ones who play this deck for years run 19 lands, maybe 20 for mono red. 17 is to few. This isn't storm.

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Which experienced people? All the ones who play this deck for years run 19 lands, maybe 20 for mono red. 17 is to few. This isn't storm.
    I'm not sure who they are on here but they do very well in the uk.

Usually when I play more than 19 lands I always suffer with mana flooding. Currently I need to finish the deck to a highenough standard before I can test in a highly competitive environment.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

19 is the accepted norm, it's been working for years. When starting out, don't try to reinvent the wheel. People have put tons of time in on testing and it'd be a waste of your time not to adopt a standard list to start off with. From there you should play some tournaments with it, not for results but for experience. No better testing environment, really

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

19 land is the optimal configuration for the stock shortcake lists. Usually the 19th land is player choice between plains, 4th city, or great furnace. I have played 17 and 18 in mono red and white when Seth and I were testing initial white splashes more seriously in 2013 and even then we were trying some number of chrome moxen to compensate for the reduced land count. The low number of white cards made chrome mox unplayable, while 17 and 18 land were too few to reliably handle our curve of 3 drops while also navigating wasteland.

20 lands usually came at the expense of more fast mana. I know a lot of popular mono red lists of old loved the 8484 mana split of sol land, fetch, mountain, simian, but that is not conducive to running enlightened tutor and the added speed/color requirement it gives you.
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Fiery confluence is the shit. It has been a factor in my wins for the past month. I'm currently playing 3 in the board and want to maybe move one to the main deck, well because I'm a big fan of one ofs. If anything it gives your opponent the illusion that they need to worry about it. I'm playing jack's current md from the first page with a few changes to the board. Anyone else think this deserves a main deck slot?

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

It would be pretty spicy as a 1 of. Trouble is the real value comes from blowing up thier sideboard hate against you. If you open the kimono to soon it might spoil it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Apr 2015
    Oslo, Norway

I'm no fan of it main. It's the tits against half the meta, and worthless against the other. I mean, if they're low on weak creatures and with no relevant artifacts, 6 burn doesn't do anything either since it's a 1-of.
    I'd say maindeck should consist of pure consistency and speed, and leave the spicy stuff in sb.

That being said, I also play 3 confluence side, besides 4 bolt and 1 Ajani, which pretty much sums up for an alternate (and effective) burn plan I bring in against stuff like Omnitell. Seeing how DnT probably will rise with new conspiracy, confluence's not gonna leave in a good while either ~

Quote Originally Posted by zangoasyl View Post

Now this guy looks like a nice addition to our sideboard!
    Put it on three against S&T-Decks, put it on two against storm, as well as having a working protection against abrupt decay...

thoughts?
    Meddling Mage is still better against what this is strong.

SnT and Storm decks

Oct 2012
    Italy

I'm currently playing two fiery confluences maindeck in my dragon stompy list and i can confirm they are fantastic. But stompy is a prison/aggro deck so even when there are no small creatures or artifacts, 6 to the face can be very relevant. In painter it should be a sideboard card i think.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    Meddling Mage is still better against what this is strong.

SnT and Storm decks
    ??? First, we don't play blue, so your point is kinda irrelevant. Second, this card is much stronger against storm than meddling mage. They can deal with meddling mage via abrupt decay. This card shuts off both abrupt decay and the tutors, making it very difficult to deal with for the storm player.

Still loving confluence myself but don't love it main in my current configuration. It is close though. If it was instant speed, I would probably main it as then it would have relevance against decks like storm or show and tell. 6 damage to the face in response to a griselbrand activation or ad nauseum is pretty good. At sorcery speed though it is kinda dead to several MUs. I also think D&T will probably gain popularity with the new Conspiracy cards to I may up my sideboard count as well.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

What are people boarding out when burn like confluence/etc comes in?

I am sure I have bad habits of leaving things in that should come out because I've been on the deck five years now. If anyone with exp boarding in burn (for creature and burn match ups I'm assuming) let me pick your brain please very much.

i go by what I see but usually my main cuts are magus (if it can be dealt with by swords or bolt), Jaya (seems too slow for games 2 and 3), Reb (if it was a non blue deck), lions eye diamond, any number of e tutors if moon and bridge is good and they are playing wasteland, sometimes I'll cut a top if they are playing it too and revoker seems good to leave in.

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

Oh boy oh boy is Kaladesh exciting. A land that tutors for Artifacts, a planeswalker that tutors for artifacts, some kind of weird obelisk thing that might find an artifact.

I can only hope this set gives us something we can use, what with all the artifact related shenanigans running around.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    Oh boy oh boy is Kaladesh exciting. A land that tutors for Artifacts, a planeswalker that tutors for artifacts, some kind of weird obelisk thing that might find an artifact.

I can only hope this set gives us something we can use, what with all the artifact related shenanigans running around.
    Yeah, this seems like an obvious inclusion although it clearly doesn't play well with Blood Moon.

http://www.magicspoiler.com/wp-conte...ir-216x302.png

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post

Anyone considering splashing blue for that new planeswalker?

Apr 2015
    Oslo, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    Anyone considering splashing blue for that new planeswalker?
    Althought the ultimate is game-winning (as for most planeswalkers), it's slow af and she got no protection. The +1 is lame too. Unless you got a Recruiter out to value that -2, I don't see any use for her.

I doubt this will see any play anywhere besides commander or some janky tech that abuses -2.
    Last edited by Morcrux; 09-04-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Is anyone else excited to put the new Chandra in. Seems good for the miracles matchup as alternate win condition.

Thread Information