Page 240 of 258 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,800 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Actually, does anyone have advice for the DNT matchup? I've been hearing it's bad, but not much more

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Actually, does anyone have advice for the DNT matchup? I've been hearing it's bad, but not much more
    Depends on your list. Obviously bridges and creature removal are good. Fiery confluence is typically a blow out. What colors do you play?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mono Red. I'm trying out Gamble with extra welders and smuggler's copter to dig deeper into the deck.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I played another local event with the list in the link below (slightly streamlined, -1 Pia and Kiran, +1 Enlightened Tutor, -1 other card I think [Ethersworn Canonist]) a month ago, going 3-1 including a third win vs DnT making that seem like a very positive matchup (3-0 in matches, 6-1 in games). Like I wrote I really liked Fiery Confluence and Ghirapur Aether Grid in the sideboard, changing the numbers but 1-2 of each. The grid seems great vs decks like DnT and Infect if you play a Mox Opal mana base. I also played the Ballista being discussed which serves double purpose in this list as a win condition with Salvagers and just generally very valuable buyback through a Salvager.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1009836
    Last edited by pettdan; 06-30-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Hey guys,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DrewliusMaximus, who started this thread and pioneered so much of the deck, passed away this morning after his long battle with leukemia.

Drew was a great friend and his presence will be sorely missed.

If any of you are interested in contributing to his GoFundMe page to help his family with the costs, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Thanks.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Esper3k View Post
    Hey guys,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DrewliusMaximus, who started this thread and pioneered so much of the deck, passed away this morning after his long battle with leukemia.

Drew was a great friend and his presence will be sorely missed.

If any of you are interested in contributing to his GoFundMe page to help his family with the costs, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Thanks.

Holy shit that's terrible. He was a huge inspiration to me and a big reason I decided to first get into the deck. For the newer painter players, like Esper said, Drew was a huge part of the old thread, when it was literally only a handful of people in the entire world working on the deck. I was lucky enough to join the squad towards the tail end of this right before the Imperial Recruiter reprint and I definitely remember bouncing ideas off each other and working on writing the new thread together. Painter was an unknown deck basically that you never saw in any events, and a big reason why it made its way to prominence was because of Drew's time and dedication to the deck.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the work he did and that he'll be missed
    Strawberry Shortcake

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...erry-Shortcake

What a brainstorm do? Draw card and activate on draw effects fix hand, removing woods
    #FreeNedleeds

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Didn't know the guy but respect what he has done. He leaves a legacy...

Would you say it's worthwhile to run gravehate mb so combo is actually viable G1 vs. emrakul decks?

Would you say it's worthwhile to run gravehate mb so combo is actually viable G1 vs. emrakul decks?
    Sorry to hear about the loss of Drew. My condolences to his family and anyone who knew him.

As far as grave hate goes I have been packing a one of relic in the main. I feel that game1 vs emrakul decks is all about bridge and Chandra. Against Omni I play a main deck canonist.

I have been testing out two crystal ball in the main in place of too. It's not bad once it's out but at 3cmc it can be slow. I like that it allows you to put the garbage on the bottom of your deck. If only it was cmc 2 and not 3. C'mon WotC let's get something playable.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Thoughts go out to Drews family and loved ones. We shall continue to carry the torch forward.

Ran my old 75 I've done well with prior to top and only switching 3 top for 3 relic and 1 welder for 1 ethersworn.

4-0d local tonight beating good players on deathblade, storm, 4c leovold and burn.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Jul 2015
    Tri-state Area

If you're playing local and keep losing to the same guy, I could see putting in one or two. If you mean to a big tournament I would say it's not worth it and you should just hope to win games 2 and 3 when you know you'll need it.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    If you're playing local and keep losing to the same guy, I could see putting in one or two. If you mean to a big tournament I would say it's not worth it and you should just hope to win games 2 and 3 when you know you'll need it.
    I agree, personally with Chandra in the picture that should really be your game plan once you realize you can't mill your opponent.

Sad to hear about Drew, I started playing way after all the contributions he made to the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by tired_papasmurf View Post
    I also agree in general although I can also get behind people playing relic. I think deathrite is the second most played card in legacy right now and relic essentially neuters that card. It also cantrips so it's never a dead draw.
    Honestly, I do bring in 1-2 grave hate cards against emrakul decks but I usually also side out a few copies of the combo pieces to bring in more alt win cons. Otherwise you are basically trying to put together a 3 card combo against a deck with counter magic.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

To me relic is all about the flexibility. Why play spellbomb to kill deathrite when it can't do anything in the first place. It also plays well in lots of matchups where we are lacking in tools. Storm, sneak, reanimator, loam, dredge, the list goes on. Dealing 2 damage is not what we need to be doing.

Spellbomb helps solve problems we don't have

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mcbain; 07-15-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Spellbomb seems good against DnT for killing around Mother of Runes, at least.
    I'll agree grave hate seems more useful, though. Is there a consensus between using Tormod's crypt v Relic? I've seen lists with both

Also (sorry for double-posting) How do we deal with Chalice on 1 preboard?

Feb 2008
    NYC

Jaya handles chalice.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Jaya is number one but chalice decks also tend to be soft for moons and bridge. Last time I prepared with a maindeck Fiery confluence, which is marvellous against many decks in general.

EDIT: Red stompy is atill a shitty matchup to my liking. Moons are worthless and they have chalice. Nowadays they might even play 4 x Confluence in main, which is bad news.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Regarding pyrite vs relic, I think they are both good but they very different things. Relic is great against everything you mentioned but it doesn't do Jack against delver, stoneforge (or any of the other d&t creatures), Bob, young pyro, pridemage, elves, etc, etc. The other benefit of pyrite is that it's recursive with welder or daretti so you can kill larger creatures or so multiple damage to Planeswalkers or to the dome.
    I would definitely play relic over crypt if you are planning on main decking it. As a one of I would play crypt just because you can recur it with welder.
    I agree confluence is still really really good. But without that in the main (or something else, like Daretti!) against chalice decks you have to have an alt win condition, like Chandra.

Went 4-0 today at my LGS.

4 mountain
    4 arid Mesa
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    1 great furnace
    1 plains
    2 plateau

4 painters servant
    2 simian spirit guide
    2 goblin welder
    1 ethersworn canonist
    3 imperial recruiter
    1 phyrexian revoker

4 blood moon
    4 pyroblast
    2 red elemental blast
    4 grindstone
    2 ensnaring bridge
    2 Chandra torch of defiance
    3 lotus petal
    1 engineered explosives
    3 enlightened tutor
    2 crystal ball

Sideboard:

3 sudden shock
    2 fiery confluence
    2 containment priest
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 trinisphere
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 magus of the moon
    1 Rest In Peace
    1 tormods crypt
    1 circle of protection red
    1 duergar hedge mage

Round 1 vs alluren

G1: I'm playing mountains and he his fetching non basics. I end up landing a turn 3 blood moon and he scoops.
    G2: Game was long and grindy. I end up revoking his jitte after it did a lot of work. He's able to deal with my Chandra. He finally gets there after many turns of draw go with his combo.
    G3: we both mull to 5. I pyroblast his early brainstorm and end up with a 3ball and canonist on the field. He finally hits his third land drop but it's too late as I have two canonist on board at that point and he does from beat down.

Round 2 vs 4 color delver

G1: turn 1 grind stone. Turn 2 painter fought through force with a monkey blast. He collective brutality my hand and sees I have enough to activate next turn and scoops.
    G2: I have tomb tomb painter painter grindstone and something else in hand. I turn 1 painter and he forces and then casts surgical. Ouch. However that was pretty much all of his resources. I have a revoker on deathrite and end up confluencing his deathrite after he removes my revoker. I start with the anemic beat downs plus Chandra +1 ability. He's at 1 life and casts jace which is met with a pyroblast and he scoops.

Round 3 vs Omni sneak and show

G1: grindy match up. I knew what he was playing beforehand as he knew mine so I knew what to grab. This game was really grinds. Eventually the board state is me with a revoker on sneak attack, canonist, bridge, welder, and some recruiters. I was able to get him down to 2 life but now I'm facing a down griselbrand and an emrakul along with omniscience. I get a crystal ball into play and start digging, putting the garbage on the bottom. I have a painter on blue on the board also and he finally doesn't have an answer for the 3rd blast I throw at griselbrand and I swing with all my dorks for the win.
    G2: Another grindy game. I side out 3 stones, 4 blood moon, a goblin welder, and explosives for 2 containment priest, 1 bridge, 1 crypt, 2 confluence, 1 canonist, 1 hedge mage, and 1 trinisphere. I am able to land a turn 2 priest and end up resolving an ensnaring bridge. I eot tutor for a canonist and somehow manage to get a Chandra to stick. After all the anemic beat downs I am able to finish him off with Chandra's +1 ability. These two games brought us to time.

Round 4 vs UWr new miracles

G1: we keep trading resources and I have a moon out to shut off his fetching. We trade blows with snapcaster and welder for many turns. He terminuses once I get a recruiter out. I land a Chandra after finally exhausting his resources along with a canonist. I get there with Chandra. I was also gridnatoning him a lot. He probably only had about 20 cards left in his library.
    G3: I blast his early brainstorm which turned out to be key because he wasn't able to put the two terminuses back on his library. I have a moon, bridge, we trade turns and I keep milling and activating crystal ball end of turn. I land a grindstone and cast painter with enough to activate but don't to play around swords. He hardcasts terminus next turn with the miracle trigger. I don't have a blast so I activate grindstone in response and win.

Not a bad showing after putting the deck down for a bit since the top ban. My sneak and show opponent and 4 color delver opponent both misplayed forcing my grindstone. Against the delver player this was after he surgicaled my painters. He said he did it because he plays a lot of blue. I guess the sneak and show player did it for the same reason. Canonist was amazing for me and I'm glad I put one in the main and had an extra in the side. Crystal ball is surprisingly really good. I don't think going more than two is correct though as it can get clunky. I highly recommend that others try it out. It's great in the late game and so far no one is countering it. It's no top but it allows you to look at the top two and put the garbage on the bottom. It allows you to dig faster than top did in this deck if you are looking at junk on top of your library. Funny how out of all the games I played I only popped the combo off twice for the win.

Thread Information