Page 241 of 258 FirstFirst ... 141191231237238239240241242243244245251 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,820 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Is anyone still playing Magma Jet?

Hello,

Im so new playing painters, but a love this deck.

Actually im playing this list

4 painters
    4 recruiter
    4 SSG
    1 welder
    1 jaya
    1 magus of the moon
    1 revoker
    1 spellskite

2 chandra, torch
    2 Daretti, Scrap Savant

3 grindstone
    3 bridge
    3 pyrite spellbomb

4 moon

4 pyro
    2 red

4 ancient
    3 city
    1 furnace
    12 mountain

Daretti its great because he filter cards, or put artifacts or, with ultimate + pyrite, can kill (its so bizarre, but i win a bit of games with this way).

I dont play magma jet, because im trying pyrite. Its great against small creatures decks (grixis, d&t, bug), its a possible cantrip and normally, any player dont counter this "bad" card.

Regards.
    Last edited by vicmin; 08-16-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    Is anyone still playing Magma Jet?
    I would play it in a straight R/W standard shortcake build. It has good utility and acts as a decent card filter. In a heavy artifact build, I would alternatively play Pyrite spellbomb. They have very similar roles. The benefit of pyrite is that it can actually draw you cards, is recurring with welders or Daretti, and is colorless damage, so it takes out Mothers and such. Deathrites are so popular right now that I do think you should have some maindeck answer to that card. Some people would think that the card isn't that big of deal against us but the problem is that he makes colored mana under a blood moon, he makes us lose life under a bridge, and he can make welder ineffective by eating painters. All of these are bad.

This is what I'm actually playing online right now...

// Lands
    3 Great Furnace
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 Mountain
    1 Badlands
    1 Plateau
    1 Plains
    4 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire

// Creatures
    4 Painter's Servant
    3 Goblin Welder
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Imperial Recruiter

// Spells
    4 Grindstone
    3 Lotus Petal
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Pyroblast
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Blood Moon
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Faithless Looting

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Nihil Spellbomb
    SB: 3 Fiery Confluence
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 1 Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
    SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 1 Sphere of Law
    SB: 2 Containment Priest

Yes, it's a 3 color build playing blood moon, I know. The only black is for Daretti in the main and a couple cards in the SB. I just love daretti so much, I can't quit him. He has taken over so many games for me. He kills almost any creature. He kills troublesome artifacts (hello chalice, null rod) and he makes artifact dorks to be used as fodder for welder shenanigans. His ultimate is also very relevant. And with 5 artifact mana that can produce black and recently adding the 2 faithless looting to filter for what I need, I really haven't had much of a problem casting him. I like him much better that the other Daretti because he protects himself better and can dig me out of bad board states (and he costs 3 vs 4). This build is obviously a little bit more susceptible to wasteland. Overall it's been performing pretty well though. I have 4-1'd my last couple leagues and have been doing pretty well at my LGS as well. Regarding the above conversation, I am only playing 1 pyrite spellbomb right now as I had to cut one to try the lootings out (and a recruiter). Gotta play some more with the looting to see if it is fixing some of my issues. the recruiters are obviously good albeit a little slow. But in my deck they are really only serving as painters #5-6 and welders #4-5. I don't have a lot of utility creatures otherwise. I do play one canonist main but that is against decks like elves and storm and recruiter into canonist is just too slow in those matchups. I would just hope for T1 tutor into T2 canonist.

If you're just splashing white for enlightened tutor, what kind of fixing is preferable? Is a plains, plateau, couple mesas and 4 petals good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by finksfinksfinks View Post
    If you're just splashing white for enlightened tutor, what kind of fixing is preferable? Is a plains, plateau, couple mesas and 4 petals good enough?
    If you're going to play a plains I would play the full playset of mesas. 3 petals and 2 plateau I would think is the bare minimum if you are just splashing for 2-3 enlightened tutors I'm currently playing 3 enlightened tutors 1 canonist main with the white mana producers being 1 plains, 3 petals, 2 plateaus and I have the full playset of mesas. I rarely run into mana problems with that fixing. The most common albeit rare mana problem I'll have is when I have a plains instead of a red source in my opening 7.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    If you're going to play a plains I would play the full playset of mesas. 3 petals and 2 plateau I would think is the bare minimum if you are just splashing for 2-3 enlightened tutors I'm currently playing 3 enlightened tutors 1 canonist main with the white mana producers being 1 plains, 3 petals, 2 plateaus and I have the full playset of mesas. I rarely run into mana problems with that fixing. The most common albeit rare mana problem I'll have is when I have a plains instead of a red source in my opening 7.
    Yeah, I totally agree with this. A lot of people would actually advocate for no plains and additional plateau for the exact issue that SDBob described, but I play the same thing in a R/W build and that scenario is extremely rare. The obvious benefit is that you can set up a white source under a moon and you don't get wasted out of a white source. I also play 3 tutor and canonist main with a lot of white in the board. If you are only playing for 2 tutors, then I would consider not playing the plains.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Unless you have a heavy white build stick the plains in the side every time. Swap for either your 1 none mesa fetch or a petal depending on how long the game is expected to go.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I have been toying around with playing 4 leyline of sanctity in the board. It is replacing a burrenton forge, worship, magus of the moon, and sudden shock. I actually never got a chance to play the burn match up with the burrenton forge and worship. (Can never run into the burn players when you want to). Was that combo reliable in the burn match up?

For people playing leylines, I am planning on aiding them in not only for the burn match up but for hymn to tourach decks as well. Is this the right play? What would you side out?

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

If you want to win the burn matchup play sphere of law. If you really want to have a good chance id run 2 ajani, canonist, 2 kozilek return and 1sphere. Warmth is good to but way to narrow and not as good as sphere

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    If you want to win the burn matchup play sphere of law. If you really want to have a good chance id run 2 ajani, canonist, 2 kozilek return and 1sphere. Warmth is good to but way to narrow and not as good as sphere

Disagree on this. Sphere always underperformed for me, mostly due to its high mana cost. Now vs burn i'm siding in 2x canonists 1x mother of runes 2x monastery mentors and few burns spells (pyrokynesis). With 4 welders maindeck, it's quite solid, and reduces a lot the aggro plan with creatures of the burn player. Then he have to choose between dealing with your crea or go for burn spells face, giving you enough time for comboing. The nice thing about this sb is that you don't need to have a burn specific card slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouille View Post
    Disagree on this. Sphere always underperformed for me, mostly due to its high mana cost. Now vs burn i'm siding in 2x canonists 1x mother of runes 2x monastery mentors and few burns spells (pyrokynesis). With 4 welders maindeck, it's quite solid, and reduces a lot the aggro plan with creatures of the burn player. Then he have to choose between dealing with your crea or go for burn spells face, giving you enough time for comboing. The nice thing about this sb is that you don't need to have a burn specific card slot.
    Pre top ban sphere of law won me a lot of games vs burn, but top was a big part of assembling the "combo" of 4 mana and sphere. I don't think I'd run it now, it does seem hard to just luck into white source + 3 additional mana + sphere/e-tutor.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Well, I'm definitely still on sphere x 1 in the board. I have 12 white sources, sphere and 3 x tutor to fetch it. That is always plan A against burn and I think I've lost 1 game ever when I've gotten sphere down with 6+ life left. Also, sphere also comes in against goblins, young pyro, and any other deck playing empty the warrens, so it isn't specific to burn.
    I don't understand mom at all as it does nothing to stop burning to the face. If anything I would play spellskite over that just to soak up 2 burn spells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Burn is one of our worst matchups. Having played painter for years and done quite well with it I would never not play sphere if I expected to win against actual component burn opponents who know how to beat us.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    Burn is one of our worst matchups. Having played painter for years and done quite well with it I would never not play sphere if I expected to win against actual component burn opponents who know how to beat us.

I have not played against burn often enough but the times I have sphere of law was just too slow. It was hard to power out fast enough. Then by the time I would have it out I was probably at 8-10 life. Now you need to win before they slowly burn you down. I had more success vs burn with cop: red than sphere but I'm not opposed to giving it another shot. I've never tried leylines and figured it was a good answer to burn as well as being a good answer to storm and discard decks. Still haven't tried them yet though.

Here is my current list:

4 mountain
    1 plains
    2 plateau
    4 arid Mesa
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    1 great furnace

4 painters servant
    3 imperial recruiter
    2 goblin welder
    2 simian spirit guide
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 phyrxian revoker

4 grindstone
    4 blood moon
    2 ensnaring bridge
    3 enlightened tutor
    3 lotus petal
    1 engineered explosives
    4 pyroblast
    2 red elemental blast
    2 Chandra torch of defiance
    2 crystal ball

Sideboard:

4 leyline of sanctity
    2 fiery confluence
    3 sudden shock
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 tormods crypt
    1 Rest In Peace
    1 trinisphere
    1 duergar hedge mage
    1 ensnaring bridge

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

Apparently painter is getting a buff. With iconic masters the rules on blood moon are changing. If they play a vesuva it won't be able to copy a basic

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Source?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Its a nerf, not a buff.

Dark Depths come into play with no counters now if you have a blood moon out.

Better be prepared to have 2+ moon effects out at all times now

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    Its a nerf, not a buff.

Dark Depths come into play with no counters now if you have a blood moon out.

Better be prepared to have 2+ moon effects out at all times now
    So do we play a number of dark depths now? Painter on blue and pyroblast the moon? Add a claws of gix?

Are these new rules going to affect painter's servant and magus of the moon under a humility?

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, where are we seeing these changes? Also, a dark depths would still come in as a mountain so it doesn't make a token correct? However, vesica would now work to make a token copying dark depths?

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    So do we play a number of dark depths now? Painter on blue and pyroblast the moon? Add a claws of gix?

Are these new rules going to affect painter's servant and magus of the moon under a humility?
    Humility was also changed, source here. Painter doesn't get to choose a color when it comes into play during a humility now. Not sure about magus under a humility, would be interested in that interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Yeah, where are we seeing these changes? Also, a dark depths would still come in as a mountain so it doesn't make a token correct? However, vesica would now work to make a token copying dark depths?

Yeah dark depths would come in as a mountain with 0 counters, so once the blood moon effect goes away the dark depths trigger goes on the stack and if that resolves they get a 20/20. Vesuva still interacts the same with depths as it has in the past, the only thing that has changed is that blood moon effects now remove any enters play text that these lands had.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Thread Information