Page 242 of 258 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,840 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by SDBobPlissken View Post
    So do we play a number of dark depths now? Painter on blue and pyroblast the moon? Add a claws of gix?

Are these new rules going to affect painter's servant and magus of the moon under a humility?
    Maybe a miser Dark Depths just cuz.

It seems like cards that say "as ____ enters the battlefield" will not longer happen. In the case of blood moon, cavern of souls doesn't name anything, dark depths doesn't get counters, etc. In the case of Humility, phyrexian revoker doesn't name anything, meddling mage doesnt name anything, etc. I am not a judge.

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    Yeah, where are we seeing these changes? Also, a dark depths would still come in as a mountain so it doesn't make a token correct? However, vesica would now work to make a token copying dark depths?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    It comes in with 0 counters. If the moon effect goes away, dark depths will trigger and create a 20/20.

Check out the iconic masters spoiler from WOTC, they expand on this change where magus of the moon is listed.

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    Maybe a miser Dark Depths just cuz.

It seems like cards that say "as ____ enters the battlefield" will not longer happen. In the case of blood moon, cavern of souls doesn't name anything, dark depths doesn't get counters, etc. In the case of Humility, phyrexian revoker doesn't name anything, meddling mage doesnt name anything, etc. I am not a judge.

It comes in with 0 counters. If the moon effect goes away, dark depths will trigger and create a 20/20.

Check out the iconic masters spoiler from WOTC, they expand on this change where magus of the moon is listed.
    First top and now this. WotC either really hates our deck. I would originally say that they don't take us into account because we are 1% of the meta but with the reprints of grindstone and painter's servant as masterpieces I really think that can't be the case.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Is this playable?

Obviously does not play well with blood moon, which makes it way worse. It's no top but we are in the eternal search for a replacement right?

So considering proxying Painter and trying it out, if I were to actually build it. Would Recruiter of the Guard be a decent substitute for the Imperial? While using the fetches to get some basic plains

Mar 2016
    Des Moines

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyWuppy View Post
    So considering proxying Painter and trying it out, if I were to actually build it. Would Recruiter of the Guard be a decent substitute for the Imperial? While using the fetches to get some basic plains
    No. Painter Servant is a 1/3 so Recuiter of the Guard can't actually fetch it.

Is this playable?
    [Treasure Map]
    Obviously does not play well with blood moon, which makes it way worse. It's no top but we are in the eternal search for a replacement right?
    I think the nonbo with moon is too awkward.
    From the previous set there is a similar card (the exact name escapes me at the moment):

'Collapsing Pyramid' {2}
    [Artifact]
    Enters the battlefield with 3 charge counters
    2, T: Remove a counter: Draw a card
    2, T: Scry 1

This seems like it might be better than Treasure Map for a Blood Moon deck (not sure if it has been mentioned already).

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, just liked it since it made 3 artifacts as well which you could use with welder. Still, definitely not ideal, I agree.

Anyone going to eternal weekend?

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

I'll be at eternal weekend. Not sure what I playing

Sep 2014
    West Chester, PA

If any of you had to register painter for an upcoming event what would your decklist look like?

This is what I am planning to play at EW if I decide to play Painter.
    http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/imper...-post-sdt-ban/

This is basically my old mono red list with the following changes.
    MD:
    -4 Fetch Lands
    -3 Sensei's Divining Top
    +4 Mountains
    +1 Hangarback Walker (borrowed Japanese tech)
    +1 Crystal Ball (later game filter)
    +1 Chandra, Pyromaster (5th Chandra)
    SB
    -1 Phyrexian Revoker
    -1 Surgical Extraction
    +1 Sorcerous Spyglass (more flexible than 2nd Revoker)
    +1 Faerie Macabre (RB Reanimator hate that can be tutored)

I am also thinking about adding an additional Mountain, bumping my land count to 21.

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Speaking of sorcerous spyglass what are people's thoughts on it.

I love the idea of seeing your opponents hand before your combo or blood Moon. Welder recurring is also a big bonus.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mcbain View Post
    Speaking of sorcerous spyglass what are people's thoughts on it.

I love the idea of seeing your opponents hand before your combo or blood Moon. Welder recurring is also a big bonus.

I'm new here but I've been testing it out. Someone once said the dream is to Turn 1 Spyglass and catch two of the same fetch in your opponents hand. I haven't been able to do anything close to that. It just seems bad. A shocking number of decks have no activated abilities that you care about, and naming Wasteland feels so bad when I'm running 4 Blood Moons and a Magus of the Moon (with 4 Imperial Recruiters). I would love to hear other peoples results. I'm not done testing by any means, but it doesn't feel good so far.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

I kind of agree with Zamite, there's not much I usually want to needle.. Or Spyglass. I didn't test it yet, though. Catching fetches prevents opponents from getting basics, which is nice, but my idea is that it overextends on an already viable strategy (mana denial).

Btw I 4-0'd the local event with Drude1's list (see link below) tonight with 2 Enlightened Tutor and 1 Kolaghan's Command in place of the third, a Nahiri over the third Bridge (which went to the sb), and a Plateau over the Plains. A few board changes too, mainly Ajani Vengeant over the third Fiery Confluence (I like it more with Salvager over Welder in the list). Played against UWR Stoneblade, ANT, UR Delver, Burn. Pretty tough matchups. I think I was kind of lucky they didn't run more Price of Progresses. Sphere of Law was great, and Ajani Vengeant.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1020660

Two-three weeks ago I 3-1'ed with my previously listed Bomberman version of Painter, now with 2 Darettis and a light black splash. Daretti is great, and great fun.

If you are curious you'll find more info on that list here (no time to write more now):

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1015664

Fwiw I'm something like 15-5 with Painter since the top ban, playing rather unorthodox builds in the local rather competitive league.
    Last edited by pettdan; 10-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    I kind of agree with Zamite, there's not much I usually want to needle.. Or Spyglass. I didn't test it yet, though. Catching fetches prevents opponents from getting basics, which is nice, but my idea is that it overextends on an already viable strategy (mana denial).

Btw I 4-0'd the local event with Drude1's list (see link below) tonight with 2 Enlightened Tutor and 1 Kolaghan's Command in place of the third, a Nahiri over the third Bridge (which went to the sb), and a Plateau over the Plains. A few board changes too, mainly Ajani Vengeant over the third Fiery Confluence (I like it more with Salvager over Welder in the list). Played against UWR Stoneblade, ANT, UR Delver, Burn. Pretty tough matchups. I think I was kind of lucky they didn't run more Price of Progresses. Sphere of Law was great, and Ajani Vengeant.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1020660

Two-three weeks ago I 3-1'ed with my previously listed Bomberman version of Painter, now with 2 Darettis and a light black splash. Daretti is great, and great fun.

If you are curious you'll find more info on that list here (no time to write more now):

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1015664

Fwiw I'm something like 15-5 with Painter since the top ban, playing rather unorthodox builds in the local rather competitive league.
    I also agree with this assessment on spyglass. At least revoker is a body and can shut off LED for the storm matchup.

Pettdan, So you were using new daretti? What did you think? Also, how salient was the k.command? Any Mana problems? Would definitely be interested in comparing notes.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Pettdan, So you were using new daretti? What did you think? Also, how salient was the k.command? Any Mana problems? Would definitely be interested in comparing notes.
    I should play more of the Rwb builds to comment I guess, but.. It's been working for me and it's tremendous fun, so I'll comment.

I got Daretti a few months ago but didn't add black to my Bomberman-Painter list until I saw you doing it and I've had very little mana issues with it so far in either version. I'm afraid I don't take notes, I tend to put more focus on analyzing lists in relation to the meta and develop a feeling for what works and what doesn't. Maybe laziness plays a role in that. Anyway a t2 Daretti puts a lot of pressure on the opponent, getting rid off attackers gives me more time to find the combo. The ultimate helps to win, I got three Lotus Petals in the last game I played and comboed out. Quite flexible especially with Welder. Coupled with Chandra and Bridge it has been a good way to gain card advantage and protection, it feels like a strong alternative threat. It was quite helpful vs both burn and UR Delver which may seem a bit surprising.

I play in a fair, grindy meta and Enlightened Tutor bringing card disadvantage makes me weary, so that's why I removed a copy for a Kolaghans Command. And I want to play Kolaghans too. I want to play two copies but couldn't make up my mind on how to adjust the mana base. Anyway, I didn't see it during the ten or so games so no comments yet.
    Last edited by pettdan; 10-15-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Is anyone going to SCG DC? What list would you bring to an open field like that? I like the Bomberman lists but it seems more cute than good. A large part of the weakness of our first combo is that it revolves around sticking a creature, and adding another combo that relies on that seems like a waste of space. I'm messing around with Faithless Lootings and thinking about trying out blue splashes for things like Intuition, Trinket Mage, and the obvious Force of Will.

Site Contributor

Apr 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zamite View Post
    Is anyone going to SCG DC? What list would you bring to an open field like that? I like the Bomberman lists but it seems more cute than good. A large part of the weakness of our first combo is that it revolves around sticking a creature, and adding another combo that relies on that seems like a waste of space. I'm messing around with Faithless Lootings and thinking about trying out blue splashes for things like Intuition, Trinket Mage, and the obvious Force of Will.
    If you are planning on running blue cards you should probably just play UR Painter. Fwiw I think that deck is still pretty well positioned and you have the advantage of people still having no idea how the deck functions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatDeleuzeGuy View Post
    I want to play as close to possible a 100% reactive deck that also approached 0% variance in how it played. I want to play magic with as little variance as possible. Also had a foiled out miracles deck that was an investment of about 6 grand that is now nearly worthless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    My original post did that.

I'd love to have a battle of wits with you but I see you lack the necessary equipment.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    If you are planning on running blue cards you should probably just play UR Painter. Fwiw I think that deck is still pretty well positioned and you have the advantage of people still having no idea how the deck functions.
    Do you have any recent list?

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanhur View Post
    Do you have any recent list?
    My list has been unchanged in 6 months post ban. Check back a few pages.

The key to preforming well with this deck now largely comes down to knowledge and experience.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

So this is sad for me, but I have tried every iteration of R/w and R/b/w painter and can barely scrape a .500 record on MODO, no matter what I try. So over the weekend I went to the dark side and started playing grixis painter (with brainstorms ) and am 11-0 so far, including only losing one game in four matches at my LGS last night. It pains me to say this, but I think I have to make the switch and retire shortcake for a little while, at least until a viable replacement for top comes around.

Thread Information