Page 34 of 258 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Oct 2013
    SoCal

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    http://www.starcitygames.com/events/...idher_vs_.html

He lost because he is bad. Classic amateur mistake there at the end
    Agreed. Even with FOW being so huge in the format, it's never a good idea to name blue with painter without having blasts or jaya. Even then, it doesn't hurt to be careful.
    Currently playing:
    Imperial Painter

One of the few Painter players in SoCal...

I've been following this thread for a while and took a modified version of Kap'n Cook's list to the unofficial Dutch Legacy championships which was attended by about 90 players. I didn't start out too great, picking up losses in rounds one and two, but was able to squeeze a 4-3 out of it in the end.

Round 1:
    Versus combo Elves. In game1 she combos out on turn 3, before I really get anything going. I don't think combo elves is a particularly good match-up, so my plan for game 2 was to hope to slam a turn 1 blood moon effect. This worked out, but for game 3 I took out the blood moons since they're not that good versus elves on the draw. Lost game 3 when she started drawing her entire deck on turn 2.
    0-1

Round 2:
    Versus Sneak and breach. Again a match-up that's not that great. I probe on turn 1 and see what he's playing. Luckily I had my one-of Ensnaring Bridge in my opener and stuck it on turn one after seeing what he was playing ("main deck Ensnaring Bridge. really!?"). I board out the moons and grindstones for a Ensnaring bridges, Koths, the last revoker and a few Thorns. In games 2 and 3 I played an early revoker on sneak attack, but he had through the breach.
    0-2. Losing confidence now, should I just have brought Esper Stoneblade?

Round 3:
    Versus Tin Fins. I keep a mountain + top hand on the play that is pretty good with another land. When I fail to find my second land with the top activation I scooped in response to his Gitaxian Probe (maybe I shouldn't keep those one land + top hands...). As he played a friend of mine in the previous round I knew what he was playing, so I could sideboard for game 2 accordingly. In game 2 I probe and see the coast is clear for a turn 1 blood moon. In game 3 I luck out. He's able to remove my early Thorn of Amethyst, but manages to find only land after that.
    1-2. Got lucky there.

Round 4:
    Sneak and Breach again! In game 1 he wasn't too fast and I was able to tutor up the Ensnaring Bridge in time. I also won game 2 on Ensnaring Bridge, as apparently he didn't have any sideboard answers to it!
    2-2.

Round 5:
    Merfolk! In game one I finally combo out early. In game 2 I board in my additional blasts and bridges and board out the blood moons. I locked him with Ensnaring Bridge early, but finishing the game took an additional 20 minutes of fighting over pithing needles and through a bunch of countermagic. After the match finished he told me he didn't have an answer to a resolved bridge.
    3-2

Round 6:
    ANT. On the draw in game one, he combos on turn 2. He did not have mana for Duress, so he did not know what I was playing. Game 2 I win with a Thorn and a revoker on lotus petal. In game 3 he makes a mistake and walks into the magus of the moon (he knew my hand from the previous turn Thoughtseize and should have held up abrupt decay).
    4-2

Round 7:
    Grixis pyromancer/delver. I can't remember if I lost this one 0-2 or 1-2. I do remember he took my hand apart with Cabal Therapy in the games I lost.
    4-3

Conclusion:
    I was very impressed with the main deck E-bridge. Some decks just can't win if you play it in game 1. The tutor package felt fine, but I wasn't satisfied with the number of white sources in the deck. I think I'll play another fetch land over the 5th mountain next time. The two Gitaxian Probes I added were also great. The deck functions like a control/prison deck a lot of the times and the probe really helps in building that prison, especially if it can tell you what to E-tutor for. Of course it can also tell you if you can combo safely.
    Blood Moon wasn't great for me this weekend as I faced a lot of mono-colored decks. I think this might be due to the local nature of this particular tournament. I think I'll still maindeck 4 blood moons and a magus at GP Paris.

The list:
    Creature (18)
    2x Goblin Welder
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1x Magus of the Moon
    4x Painter's Servant
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Simian Spirit Guide

Instant (8)
    2x Enlightened Tutor
    4x Pyroblast
    2x Red Elemental Blast

Sorcery (2)
    2x Gitaxian Probe

Land (19)
    4x Ancient Tomb
    3x City of Traitors
    1x Great Furnace
    5x Mountain
    2x Plateau
    4x Scalding Tarn

Artifact (9)
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Grindstone
    1x Lotus Petal
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

Enchantment (4)
    4x Blood Moon

Sideboard (15)
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Koth of the Hammer
    1x Magus of the Moon
    1x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Pyroclasm
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Thorn of Amethyst

Mar 2009
    Italy

Just a question, which are advantages regarding Chandra maindeck with 3 Sensei's vs:

- white splash & etutor
    - gamble or faithless & welders
    - 4 mountain & 5 fetch to maximize shuffling effects

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Don't play Chandra, and play any one of those three options over her?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Hey japz nice work in that tourney. Only merfolk was a good matchup and going 4-3 when 1-6 would not be unheard of is pretty good.

The number of white sources has also been a slight concern of mine. What I've been doing is running a marked ssg to see when the 2nd petal would be better. If you want to assist me in the data collection we can get a better picture of what's best. Just run a foil/upside down/markered etc monkey and note which would be better. I also figure with your build with 2 probes the petal could help save two life every now and then

Regarding Chandra this is my opinion. Take it with a grain of salt because I have never played her:

1) Over e tutor and white pros/cons.

You get a better control matchup. Source of repeatable card advantage. You also get a slightly better deathblade matchup to ping bobs and lilianas etc. I think it takes building around either a) you need lots of bridges to hide under to take advantage of the 0 ability or an aggro build to remove blockers with the 1. Either way you need lighting bolts in the deck since copying blast won't always be relevant if you ultimate. White gives you more game against the unfair matchups by finding grindstone or sideboard hate. It also lets you dodge discard (esp good getting a moon). Running plateaus opens you up to wasteland more and massacre lol (yes. This happened to me)

2) faithless/gamble.

Attempts to make the manabase more resilient while keeping the 'tutor' ability. Faithless also has game against control because you pitch useless stuff as you go. Both need a stronger welder commitment, esp gamble for obvious reasons. If the discard wasn't random or it read: as an additional cost discard a card, search your library for a card and put it in your hand I would ditch the white and run my welder build. It'd be awesome but oh well. Chandra pluses mentioned above are the same. Faithless also allows to run a much lower curve since you need welders. Also slightly weaker to deathrite

3) fetches and tops

Most run this anyway. Usually if you're not running tutors/lootings or Chandra's you run some magma jets to help the consistency. Moons obviously mess up the filtering of fetches so I'd advise against only 3 tops as filter/search/scry/whatever even with grindstones ability to help

Hope this helps. I may be wrong so anyone with Chandra experience may want to weigh in

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Hey japz nice work in that tourney. Only merfolk was a good matchup and going 4-3 when 1-6 would not be unheard of is pretty good.

The number of white sources has also been a slight concern of mine. What I've been doing is running a marked ssg to see when the 2nd petal would be better. If you want to assist me in the data collection we can get a better picture of what's best. Just run a foil/upside down/markered etc monkey and note which would be better. I also figure with your build with 2 probes the petal could help save two life every now and then
    Thanks. Yeah sure, I'll mark one of my SSGs. I don't get to play legacy very often though, maybe once per month, so it may take a while before I report back. :)
    I'll play a 5th fetchland for sure, so that should also help.

I tried the Chandras at the Legacy warmup @ GP Antwerp and didn't like it at all. In that slot I want a card that can win me the game (e.g. when grindstone is no good), not one that can occasionally get me some card advantage or maybe clean up some dark confidants. For the main legacy event on Sunday I just ran the 2 Koths, which I was much happier with (I've moved them to the sideboard though to be used strictly as alternate win-con, in favor of the Tutor+bridge package).

Took UR painter out for a run this weekend. Not a great showing. Best cards of the day: blood moon and bridge (MB bridge, SB moons). Shoulda just been playing mono red with all that hate main!

Gonna come back to the iPainter side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Blue in Painter is like having training wheels and going mountain biking.

Welcome back!

I'm testing out a new(er) configuration, will share when I think it's up to par

I´ve thoughted of building up Painters as an alternative choice to my Storm Decks. Maybe RUG would be better, but I love playing Combo and Painters seems like a lot of fun to play. I sway between U/R and the more popular R/W list. Is Imperial Painter really better than Painter Grindstone or is it meta depending? In which of the to versions should I invest, if I want to get out long term value from it?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkhole View Post
    I´ve thoughted of building up Painters as an alternative choice to my Storm Decks. Maybe RUG would be better, but I love playing Combo and Painters seems like a lot of fun to play. I sway between U/R and the more popular R/W list. Is Imperial Painter really better than Painter Grindstone or is it meta depending? In which of the to versions should I invest, if I want to get out long term value from it?

I'll try to answer without bias as best I can, given that this is the Imperial thread. The most popular version is straight mono red. There are a few of us that have taken up the white splash, but not enough people play it in large tournaments to get the lists publicized. Mono red is definitely just as good, they just cater to different styles.

Onto your real question. Both decks are viable. As long as legacy plays dual lands and as long as blue remains a dominant color, Imperial has strong game. UR has a much better unfair deck matchup and much better tutoring. Imperial relies on disruption and stalling until you can win. Imperial also has realistic plan b options in beatdown or control using blasts should the combo fail or if its taking a while to find the stone, which can be a problem for red sometimes. Intuition, transmute artifact, and brainstorm in UR will find you the missing piece every time while recruiter will find you a creature to assist the current board state.

Since you are coming from a storm background, UR probably fits your playstyle more. Imperial is closer to goblins, death and taxes, and maverick on the spectrum while UR is closer to storm and sneak show. Obviously I prefer Imperial Painter for the varied games you get and the multiple angles of attack it provides. One game you might just blood lock turn 1. Another will see you hiding under a bridge jaya burning. Beating down with simian spirit guides. Chaining recruiters to nullify terminus etc. UR is much more about solving a puzzle and using the tutors and search to find the protection and pieces needed to beat the opponents gameplan, a lot like storm. As far as which version you should invest I don't know, because I don't have too much experience with UR, I just know the basic strengths and weaknesses. Ish has played both and you probably want to ask someone like merfolkopt in the painted stone thread their opinion too. Both are good choices, it just comes down to how you prefer to win and taking the time to learn the intricacies.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

It really does begin with asking yourself a series of questions to find out what your play style is.

UR Painter is more akin to Show and Tell, but if you're playing UR might as well be playing Show and Tell because it is a bigger game and the deck is almost all the same cards.

Mono R painter is strong because it can lean heavily on Blood Moon wrecking the metagame. I'm more specialized with this deck, the others don't appeal to me. Blood Moon is a big game, and yet the deck has its weaknesses, mainly card filtering.

RW Painter is something Kap'n is good at, it's more consistent, but not as explosive as Mono R nor is it as controlling as UR.

Mar 2009
    Italy

This is my G & W splashed list designed with the following purposes:
    - protect IP vs uncounterable removal as well as removal protected by CB-Top shell
    - improve UW MU
    - get a more solid list vs mono color Tier1 or Tier 1.5

I agree mono-red is still the more solid list but it doesn't fit in my meta mainly characterized by:
    - UWr piloted by top player
    - Elves close to 7% 1 out of 15
    - Merfolk as per TNN release
    - BUG and its uncounterable removal

If u want to have a fun test just have a look hereby:
    http://deckstats.net/deck-3295588-ef...fb1391e1f.html

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by comeback View Post
    This is my G & W splashed list designed with the following purposes:
    - protect IP vs uncounterable removal as well as removal protected by CB-Top shell
    - improve UW MU
    - get a more solid list vs mono color Tier1 or Tier 1.5

I agree mono-red is still the more solid list but it doesn't fit in my meta mainly characterized by:
    - UWr piloted by top player
    - Elves close to 7% 1 out of 15
    - Merfolk as per TNN release
    - BUG and its uncounterable removal

If u want to have a fun test just have a look hereby:
    http://deckstats.net/deck-3295588-ef...fb1391e1f.html

Hmm, if this is your meta, Painter might not be the deck to play. However, I have had success verses similar decks in small LGS tournaments with mono red Sneak and Breach. Big game that wins through the midrange strategies that these decks use to win. And it's not very far off from Mono red, so it's a sweet build to have the cards for to shake things up and keep having fun.

Thanks for your explanations Kap`n and Jandax, I think I ´ve understand the differences between
    the single variants and their strenghts and weakness.

Feb 2008
    NYC

So I wanted to write a post about silver bullet tutor targets and some thoughts on general sideboarding.* I know many of these thoughts didn’t occur to me years ago, and if you would read the old painter thread I think I probably advocated for more of a tool box approach with the deck, but I think in many ways it is strategically the wrong decision.

Let’s take a look at Fairie Macabre for example.* For all my examples I will stick with thoughts on a mono red list as running e tutor opens up a much larger decision tree which may complicate the discussion.* The card is a tutorable form of grave hate. *For free at instant speed it lets you remove 2 cards while not limiting your graveyard uses.* In a decl built around a crappy 1/1 that gets other dorks with utility this would seem like the perfect card to throw one in the sideboard to cover graveyards and augment the deck and increased its utility.* However doing so actually severely weakens the deck.* For starters it is a bad form of graveyard hate,* removing just two cards hardly matters.* Yes against reanimator it may play well.* Against dredge, lands, anything with Knights, or any deck with a strong recursion element the card is weak on its own.* It can slow most of these decks down by a turn or two which is nice, but think about what you have to do to get that play.* You may be lucky to draw the one of, and in that situation it is a freebie and congrats.* But now if you actually use your recruiter to get the Fairie, you committed 3 mana and one of your tutors to slow those decks down.* This is great when you have redundant Imperial Recruiters and you need to set up the extra turn to combo off.* But the key here is that you already have the combo.* If you don’t have the combo you may buy a couple turns but the resources you spent, ie the mana, the tutor, and lost opportunity with the other cards in hand in not advancing your own board state and just losing more slowly.

*And here I hope I explained the danger in silver bullets.* They are good, but only if the stop a strong strategy or the fundamental strategy of a deck.* If the card had removed their whole graveyard, or stopped them from using the graveyard for the foreseeable future it would be worth using the mana and our own tutor, which would slow down the advancement of our board state, in order to severely attack their plan.* Loaming Shaman would be a perfect card that does this.* Unfortunately you would need to play green which is not what I am saying at all.*

There are very few if any silver bullets really worth running in the deck these days.* Now certain metas are more inbreed than others so this could change and shit like Spinal Villain may be playable there, but for the most part outside of an artifact hate card, which I still think Viashino Heretic is the best, you really should not run silver bullets to tutor.* E tutor changes the math a bit as you get Peacekeeper, and Cannonist(although to be fair I still think you should try to speed the deck up and make it more consistent against storm and not waste resources, mana, and time slowing them down), but overall using the Imperial Recruiter as a tool box is not the same as Survival or even Green Sun Zenith, although to be fair the tutor targets of Zenith basically fall under the strongly attacking a strategy.*

I am not saying singletons are bad, just that the way you approach the tutor targets should probably change.* I think your best chance of success is to use sideboard cards that compliment your combo.* You can attack decks with cards that do not play into your combo.* And save the tutor targets for those cards that basically are counter or I basically shit on your deck.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Hi guys! About me I think this list deserves special attention! look what plays in 3x (sorcery) and tell me what you think!

http://www.thecouncil.es/tcdecks/dec...3&iddeck=90736

Random question, how do you win against SnT round 1 since you cant mill them? by beating them?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Main deck Ensnaring Bridge, and then Dork beatdown or Jaya/PS

ty jandax

Hi,

My brother took my deck to the Dutch Legacy Championship(89pple) and split top4.
    r1 2-0 merfolk
    r2 2-0 goblins
    r3 1-1 uwr delver
    r4 2-1 shardless bug
    r5 0-2 jund
    r6 2-1 bug delver
    r7 2-1 sneak attack
    qf 2-0 uwb control

Same list as posted before. I made some small changes now: +1 ensaring bridge, -1 phyrexian revoker md. Sideboard -1 mindbreak trap +1 REB
    9 mountain
    4 scalding tarn
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors
    4 SSG
    4 painter
    4 grindstone
    3 SDT
    3 ensnaring bridge
    2 koth
    4 imperial recruiter
    4 blood moon
    2 magus of the moon
    1 jaya
    1 welder
    1 phyrexian revoker
    4 pyroblast
    2 REB
    ---------------
    4 thorn of amethyst
    2 mindbreak trap
    3 phyrexian revoker
    1 ensnaring bridge
    1 manic vandal
    1 red elemental blast
    3 sudden demise

I feel really good where the decks at now. The current meta seems very friendly to Imperial Painter with alot of delver/stoneblade/combo.
    Punishing Jund and Elves are obviously the harder MU's where u need to get t1/2moon or combo out fast to win.
    Ensnaring bridge is mvp atm. Wouldn't change a thing about the MD for now, works good. I dont miss removal md at all, except for maybe decks with dark confidant/(drs). But after g1 u bring in sudden demise against these decks(bug delver,jund..) and the bug decks alrdy have troubles with fast moon anyway.

Greetings-

Thread Information