Page 46 of 258 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Really nice finish and report, Seth and Jack! Too sad I cannot play my painter in tournament now because there are always some players running jund in my local store, but I think I should take some serious tests with the white splash post Chinese new year.

Do you guys consider relic as sideboard cards? I always bring it in against Jund, thresh and Team America, it can do a lot of things in these match-up(shrinking goyf, shuting down drs and tombstalker, preventing painter from extrated, etc.)
    At that point its like a one shot RIP. I don't think trying to crypt or relic tempo decks is the way to go about it. RIP on the other hand is a beating. Also, you can't welder lock dredge or reanimator with relic. I think I'm going to drop the 3rd crypt in my board for 1 RIP to bring in against loam and goyf+deathrite decks.

Oct 2013
    SoCal

Thanks for the report and the gameplay Kapn, but I have to ask; why the white-bordered Mountains? :P
    Currently playing:
    Imperial Painter

One of the few Painter players in SoCal...

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

yo sroncor1, check your inbox!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Thanks for the report and the gameplay Kapn, but I have to ask; why the white-bordered Mountains? :P
    Well I originally got a lot of white border stuff to match the p3k recruiters like blasts moon etc and now I'm deciding how to pimp the deck. It's also probably my favorite mountain art plus it's also p3k. To be fair, two of them look like this but I never saw a fetchland:

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Do you not double sleeve?

Thoughts on Geistflame as a compromise to Firebolt as the reusable removal? It's only 1 damage instead of 2, but it's instant and 1 hits most of the stuff. Maybe a 2/2 split?
    Using Tapatalk

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Quote Originally Posted by MeddlingPimp View Post
    Thoughts on Geistflame as a compromise to Firebolt as the reusable removal? It's only 1 damage instead of 2, but it's instant and 1 hits most of the stuff. Maybe a 2/2 split?
    Are you serious? It can't kill delver, shaman or mystic, which is crucial. Otherwise, if you consider this card, electrikery is absolutely much better...
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinZ View Post
    Are you serious? It can't kill delver, shaman or mystic, which is crucial. Otherwise, if you consider this card, electrikery is absolutely much better...
    Yes I was serious; thanks for asking. That's why I said it was a compromise, and suggested a split.
    Using Tapatalk

Feb 2008
    NYC

The ability to do 2 damage to 2 targets is why firebolt is so good. The difference between 1 and 2 toughness is huge, although I will concede that most of the creatures you truely care about have an ass of 1. The loss of instant speed really doesn't matter though. Test it out and see. To be honest he difference between instant and socery is largely over rated. Velocity o the deck, incremental advantage, and general card advantage and versatility are for more important than instant speed.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Dec 2010
    Beijing/Shenzhen

Seth, have you tested main deck with sfm package? I am very interested in the sfm package in your side board. I know some creature-based combo decks like cephalid breakfast also play sfm(although sfm is more versatile because they have shuko and many people used to play equipment in this deck in the past. I really wish sfm package could improve jund match-up.
    Team Blood, Beijing.
    Currently play: Sneaky Show/ Lands

Feb 2008
    NYC

A couple years ago I ran stoneforge-batterskull in the main for awhile. It was pretty strong. The stongforge package is actually really good against Jund. You would probably want a batterskull for that match up also. Unfortunately I think using it main is a bad idea. I spoke in an earlier post about the trouble with using to many beat down elements in the maindeck. It dilutes the combo strategy. But Jitte and SOLS are good against Jund

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Feb 2008
    Houston, TX

Hey guys, long time no post.

Things have been busy for me but I have to say congrats to you Jack and Seth on the last SCG! And for continuing to refine the white splash...seems good.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Question about the "Strawberry Shortcake" white splash: I notice it's running 19 lands instead of the 21 in most mono-red builds.

I know there's an extra one-shot mana effect (3 SSG, 2 Petal) and the curve is a bit lower with the extra Goblin Welders, but do you find yourself short on mana often with this deck? If so, have you considered increasing the land count?

Thanks!

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    Question about the "Strawberry Shortcake" white splash: I notice it's running 19 lands instead of the 21 in most mono-red builds.

I know there's an extra one-shot mana effect (3 SSG, 2 Petal) and the curve is a bit lower with the extra Goblin Welders, but do you find yourself short on mana often with this deck? If so, have you considered increasing the land count?

Thanks!
    I think you'll see very few people on this forum advocating for a 21 land count even in mono red. Go back through the forum and look at the discussions about the mono red build.

I don't think the "chandra/bolt" lists with 21 lands that first did well at SCG events a few months back are where you want to be.

19/20 land max with 4/1-2 SSG/Petal/Mox is optimal for mono red.

I am still an advocate for mono red. Differences, advantages, disadvantages between the two have also been discussed at length here.

If you're in mono red I suggests tweaking the land count and testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played alot of mana configurations for monoR and ended up with 20 lands- 4city 4tomb 4 fetch 8 mountain and 4 SSG 1 lotus petal. Depending on the number of welders u play u can always play a number of great furnaces replacing mountain. Im playing 1 welder and I dont think its worth it for that.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

I sometimes even feel like 19 is too many haha, especially when I can't loot away extras. I don't run the 4th city for the extra red stability. Honestly if you get 2 mountains and a sol the deck runs perfectly. The extra 1-shots of petal and ssg play more toward the combo aspect of the deck

Feb 2008
    NYC

I was very happy with the land count, the key is being aggressive with the mulls.

In other thoughts I have started to test EE and some sources or recurrent artifact destruction in the deck. I hesitate to get rid of the SDT and Koth that they have been the weakest cards in the deck over the past couple months. I'll be playing in that tournament for the Delver deck so I'll get a list up before.

Seth

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    I'll be playing in that tournament for the Delver deck so I'll get a list up before.

Seth
    Hey, I'll be there too! We'll have too find each other and say hi. I'll be on mono red there.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Do you play a bunch in the area? I don't remember anyone else other than Jack being a regular on Painter. And sounds good. We can talk some shop.

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    Do you play a bunch in the area? I don't remember anyone else other than Jack being a regular on Painter. And sounds good. We can talk some shop.

Seth
    Yeah... I know Jack from Xanadu. Play regularly at all the local shops in the Balt area.

Thread Information