Page 47 of 258 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Feb 2008
    NYC

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Sounds good. You must have started after I sort of took a back seat to playing.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Feb 2008
    NYC

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post

Seth
    I assume so. I've heard "Seth" and painter talked about when I started playing it. Especially when I adopted Koth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

Good day all,

So Yesterday night I went to my weekly legacy night in Halifax. This is my 3rd time ever playing legacy in cardboard. In the past weeks i have picked up most of painter and thankfully we allow proxies.

This was a three round tournament 16 players out and here is a quick report of how it went for painter (I'm a horrible writer so bare with me.)

Round 1 - Reanimator

So my towns local legacy guru, who first told me about this site was my first round. this was not a good start to the night...or so i thought. Round 1 starts and i land a second turn moon, this doesnt stop him but it slows him down. A resolved painter with some REBs sort out the other mana he could use and the game is taken down by koth laying down beats.

Game 2 i side out Jaya and a few SDT for Grafdigger's and my 4th bridge. My opening hand is city of traitors, blood moon, mountain, phyrexian revoker, bridge,simian spirit guide and cage. solid keep. turn 1 cage, turn 2 phyrexian revoker on the grisslybrand. within a few turns i draw into the combo

2-0

Round 2 - Fish

Game 1 Turn 2 combo....gg

game 2. this probably went maybe 6 minutes, as we are both fast players. i kept a hand of rebs and a sudden demise (from the side). so i reb a few lords as he tried to cast them, land a revoker (on vial)and when he goes off enough to get 3-4 fish in play I use sudden demise to clear the way for revoker to take him to town. Sudden demise was not expected by any one, and many legacy officios didn't know what the card did... it was great in 2-3 games

2-0

Round 3 is not worth reporting on, playing BUG and i just couldn't catch a break, first game i mulled to 4 and that didnt go well, game 2 he just had all the right answers.

Over all I love the deck. No one else is playing this in my meta so its great fun and people love to see it in action. Thank you all for the hours of reading i have done on this deck and look forward to trying the strawberry shortcake mod in the future

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

*** I'M BACK BITCHES!!! *** Haha :D

Or i could say: Hey guys, glad to be back!!

It's been a loooong time overdue, but now, I've gotten a hold of a new set of Recruiters, and later today, I'm going to a private 16-person tournament, where I hope, that no one sees iPainter coming :D

I haven't been following in on the thread, and I'm not gonna jump directly into a decklist right now, but again.... I'm back and I'm gonna be active in this thread, so we can see some more grinding in Denmark :D

Feb 2008
    NYC

@Ish- I laughed at that as if I'm a mythical beast or something.

Hopefully I'll get my list up here tom before I play on Sunday. I will say that the EE has been good in practice

Seth

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    @Ish- I laughed at that as if I'm a mythical beast or something.

Hopefully I'll get my list up here tom before I play on Sunday. I will say that the EE has been good in practice

Seth
    Haha lol! Tomorrow should be fun! Maybe they'll play some video game boss music when you walk in to let me know your there :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Please for the love of god post results of the mirror match, should it happen. That's been like a black hole in my legacy experience.

Painter is a deck that has piqued my interest for quite awhile, I finally decided to buy most of the pieces on mtgo and put it all together.

Something I keep wondering about in most of the lists I've looked at is the number of Tormod's Crypts or Relics in the board. I'm assuming they're there for two reasons: to answer decks running re-shuffled creatures like Emrakul so that we can still combo off, and just general answers to graveyard-based opponents (reanimator, dredge, etc.)

Has Faerie Macabre ever been discussed for this function? The upside is that it can't be countered, and can be cast with no lands on T0, but the downside is that it's a reactive answer that can be lost to discard, so I guess it depends on if you expect more discard or more counters from the relevant decks. I suppose Painter is stronger against blue in general, so perhaps discard is a bigger concern anyway, but still I'm not sure.

I'm just imagining scenarios against something like Sneak & Show G2, they know you're on Painter so they're going to hold up counters strictly for your graveyard hate as they know you can't win through their Emrakul, they can ignore your combo-related activity.

Just an idea, I haven't tested yet, and I'm assuming this is something that has already been discussed or that I'm missing the point of the current graveyard-hate found in most lists, if anyone can fill me in it would be much appreciated.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Mortox View Post
    Something I keep wondering about in most of the lists I've looked at is the number of Tormod's Crypts or Relics in the board. I'm assuming they're there for two reasons: to answer decks running re-shuffled creatures like Emrakul so that we can still combo off, and just general answers to graveyard-based opponents (reanimator, dredge, etc.)

Has Faerie Macabre ever been discussed for this function? The upside is that it can't be countered, and can be cast with no lands on T0, but the downside is that it's a reactive answer that can be lost to discard, so I guess it depends on if you expect more discard or more counters from the relevant decks. I suppose Painter is stronger against blue in general, so perhaps discard is a bigger concern anyway, but still I'm not sure.

I'm just imagining scenarios against something like Sneak & Show G2, they know you're on Painter so they're going to hold up counters strictly for your graveyard hate as they know you can't win through their Emrakul, they can ignore your combo-related activity.

Just an idea, I haven't tested yet, and I'm assuming this is something that has already been discussed or that I'm missing the point of the current graveyard-hate found in most lists, if anyone can fill me in it would be much appreciated.

Yes this idea has been discussed. In the old thread and briefly in the new thread. Macabre doesn't really do anything. It stops dredge or reanimator for a turn and most likely you'll have to recruit for it meaning it's known. Against sneak and show it can't remove 3 or 4 emrakuls so you lose. Combo is not your Plan A vs sneak. Getting a bridge down is

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

To embellish further, decks like Reanimator and Tinfins that you could potentially board in Macabre against run black. This means that A) you'd likely have to Recruiter up a Macabre, costing you 3 mana and a card, and giving the opponent perfect information, and B) they run black discard, so with that perfect information they'd likely neuter your GY hate.

Just run Bridges and Grafdigger's Cage. They both do what you want in spades.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Well, I participated in a 16 man tournament today and as always... Painter is the way to go....

By not having had access to the deck for the past six months, it's not a deck that people tend to think of.... Which is good for me...

We played 5 rounds of swiss and went into the top 4 on an insanely close tiebreaker situation! :O

Anyways, here's a short recap of the tourney..: :)

1. Round:
    Playing against EsperBlade, piloted by a friend, so our games are always high paced and funny :)
    I lose 1-2, after 3 close games, that were defined by his ability to naturally draw into his basiclands.. That sucks, when my gameplan ended up being all in on a moon effect and then get my hand picked a little apart, by his t-seizes and inq's..

0-1

2. Round:
    After seing what i'm about to play here, i'm thinking i'm over and out... U/R Delver/burn.... Not a fav MU for me, as he's notoriously known for packing a mono R burn deck, with a little brainstorm and daces rammed into it... But he's trying to adapt to a more combo oriented metagame, so balls to the walls and let's do this...

Turn 1, I lead out with a city of traitors, chrome mox with Jaya imprinted and i now face a serious dilemma... Do i go for painter or do i try to play safe and throw the grindstone into the fray... I go for the first, and yes, he throws a FoW in the painters direction... but i have the red version of FoW, which leads into him playing land, passing the turn, me drawing a land and combo off turn 2 :D

Game one is more or less a repeat. He can't find gas to kill me and my scorepad reveals that i harmed myself for 11 damage, before killing him..

1-1

3. Round and getting down against U/W Delver.... Haven't seen a version like this before, but his gameplan was apparently to stick a delver or TNN as soon as possible and protect it via counterspells and StP's.. I get him to game 3, before he picks me apart.. I lose the match 1-2

1-2

Round 4, playing BUG Delver....
    Moons, baby.... Moons :D i win 2-1, the game i lost was due to a FoW on my turn 1 moon effect :D

2-2

By this time, i actually have a shot at getting into top 4, but it requires for me to win my game, the leading player (The Esper player i played, round 1) winning, and a third game to draw..

Guess it's my lucky day and i end up, bossing my way into top 4, by the closest margin possible :D
    Sitting down against Punishing U/W/R, i'm thinking one thing... Forcing blood moon through turn 1 and hope for the best.
    But nooooooo, he has answers to all of the blood moons game 1 and 2, game 1 is a beating with a phyrexian revoker and a couple of recruiters, game 2 i got nothing really... But game 3 provided me with a possibility of chaining all 4 recruiters into play, to gain card advantage and beating him to death with them :D

3-2, and into the semi :)

Semifinals: I get paired against the Esper player from round 1, and the stories repeats itself, sadly enough :( 3 close games, with him ending up at the finals, taking home first place...

Anyhow :D God, i've missed this deck! When i was sleeving this deck, i just went back to my stock list and it just works!!
    Replacing Lightning Bolts with Gitaxian Probes, gives you so fucking much more game against combo and FoW decks.... If you're running the mono R list, i can only recommend you trying G-Probes and see if it helps you :)

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

And obivously my report wouldn't be much of a report, if I forgot the decklist :P

Mainboard:
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Antient Tomb
    10x Mountain

4x Simian Spirit Guide
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    3x Magus of the Moon
    4x Blood Moon
    3x Pyroblast
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    4x Gitaxian Probe
    1x Chrome Mox
    4x Grindstone
    3x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Lotus Petal

Sideboard:
    1x Magus of the Moon
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    2x Faerie Macabre
    4x Lightning Bolt
    1x Pyroblast
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    2x Shattering Spree

Overall I'm happy with the list, I am however a little unsettled on the missing removal in the form of bolts... The only thing I see being cut for bolts is probes, but as I mentioned in the previous post, I'm quite happy with them, even though i have to pay life for them.

In the danish meta, there's a lot of Delver decks, mixed with a fair amount of ANT decks. I found myself boarding the thorns in, most of the matches as it slowed down my OP's countersuite..

That being said, I'm feeling a little rusty, so advice is more than welcome :)

EDIT: Have anyone considered Lodestone Golems? :)

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

You're pretty all-in with that list, eh? 18 lands, 7 moons, 7 accelerators. Does Probe glue that strategy together? I'd assume it might because of the perfect information you get off of it.

And Lodestone Golem is a different deck. You don't have that many artifacts. And why is Bridge no where to be seen?

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    You're pretty all-in with that list, eh? 18 lands, 7 moons, 7 accelerators. Does Probe glue that strategy together? I'd assume it might because of the perfect information you get off of it.

And Lodestone Golem is a different deck. You don't have that many artifacts. And why is Bridge no where to be seen?
    I've never found 20-21 lands to be the "shit" for this deck. And it doesn't suit my playstyle anyways.

Yeah, probes - at least for me - was the answer to this. You have to remember, I litteraly copied Kim Grymers list from GP Amsterdam and worked on it ever since.

Lodestone Golem was a suggestion from a friend, stating that it's a thorn on legs, and it's a formidable beater. I don't know, i'm inclined to try it at least :) Since i went into beat down mode 60% of the time yesterday :D

The "eldrazi issue" isn't really a big problem these days in Denmark, so i figured, cutting them for the bolts, to see if they can resolve any creature/reach problems i might run into :)

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Hell, I wanna play Painter in a meta where there is no Eldrazi issue, or even play Eldrazi too for that matter...

I see what ya mean. There's little room to work with if it already suits your play style and it fits your meta. Maybe it'd help the rest of us to describe your local/regional meta in detail and then present your list as one that is best suited to go to battle

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    Hell, I wanna play Painter in a meta where there is no Eldrazi issue, or even play Eldrazi too for that matter...

I see what ya mean. There's little room to work with if it already suits your play style and it fits your meta. Maybe it'd help the rest of us to describe your local/regional meta in detail and then present your list as one that is best suited to go to battle
    I can try ;)

Generally, decks like SneakShow, Mono R Sneak and the likes are limited to one or two guys, that doesn't appear on a regular note. There are however 3-4 Omniscience players, but they tend to rely solely on the Release the Ants thingy ::O

There's quite a few storm players, which leads me to the 4 Thorns in the SB. Then the rest is most of the time, Delver decks in varying forms, mostly BUG (Team America), a couple of miracle decks and that's about it :)

But one thing, they aaaaaaaaaaallllll have in common....: They don't like the moons, like we do <3

Feb 2008
    NYC

Quick update, took top 8 at that tournament for the delver deck in Maryland today. I punted the last two rounds. But I was pretty happy with the list and a top 8 out of 114. I'll post my updated list and report in the next couple days. I'll also try to add some thoughts to some of the ideas on the board.

Btw I actually think Lodestone may be good in the white splash. As crazy as it sounds it's also one of the most intriguing ideas I've heard in a while.

Seth

Seth: Great to meet you yesterday. Looking forward to innovating further.

Took mono red to the same UWR prize tournament yesterday. My results were far from top 8 worthy. Got paired against OmniTell round 2... :( 20 redblast is about the right number to have for that matchup. Unfortunetely my list only ran 7 in the 75.

Talking alot with Seth about the white splash. I think I'm going to go back (I tested it for a few weeks) to it and give it another go. Blood Moon is auto win in some matchups, but in the others (which were my pairings yesterday) the e-tutor package would have been much stronger.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Well, just ordered 4 Lodestones, gotta try it out :)

Anyone other than me an Seth, considering Lodestones? :)

Thread Information