4 rip
    1 helm
    1 stoneforge
    1 jitte
    1 SoLS
    2 ensnaring bridge
    4 firebolt
    1 viashin heretic

I played deredge, merfolk, dredge, the mirror, lands(kurt speis), patriot, and Rug delver. Won those first five, drew with ben freidmen and his patriot list and lost to rug delver, making top 8 of a 114 person event. Lost inthe top 8 to BUG, I probably played the second game wrong but the first I just lost to a resolved delver as i could not find any answer of grind stone for the win. overall the list was tight all day. the great furnance needs to go. I always hated playing it and i think mana stability with all the wastelands is worth it. I will risk the duals as without it, I would have lost to dredge. the ability to fetch and fire off an e tutor in response to discard was amazing all day long. Overall the deck is tilted towards the combo.

The sideboarding is more fluid. It depends on what happened game one, the match up and time left in the round. In general against delver and deathrite and death and taxes, firebolt is the best card you can draw. it is card advantage and a great source of removal. I would generally run something close to this in an open or evolved meta or a big event. It is the fastest version to strengthen the most important aspect of the deck, the combo. I could even be convinced that e tutor should be four of in the deck, and i have thought about it many times. EE is basically the best catch all you can have. ratchet bomb can get bigger things but the fact that EE is active out of the gate is pretty important. I think one of these type of spells is importnat for an open event. the stone forage package has done what i wanted, but it wasnt needed for much. RIP is the BEST grave hate in the game.

Overall I would say you have to shuffle up so many hands to get a sense with what is keepable and what isnt. without cantrips it is hard to control the variance of the deck, but with repeated play throughs you will see the various permutations. Storm is a bad idea right now, so we are one of the fastest combo decks in the meta, which is a great place to be. We don't care about True Name as he is just like any other dude. My advice is to hold off on first turn moon game one, especially if you are playing the white splash. Land it turn two as you keep the E tutor open and sometimes you need the speed of the sol lands. I still think that a great strategy is to force your opponenet into a corner and make them counter your cards. I lost against rug as he had 4 daze and 2 fow with 2 lightning bolt in one game. and the second saw three fow and me short on land. I will take those losses as most of the time they will have some dudes you dont care about and you are eating through their cards. I love playing against fow as you will win that war of attrition. throw goblin welder out there first. they have to kill him and they will waste importnat spells on a card that is super strong, yet less important than almost everything else.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Glad to see this list Seth. I was looking at Jack's and really want to push a 3rd Enlightened Tutor, but didn't know if there was a specific reason not to run three. He obviously had very good success with 2. But if I splash white, I really want to push the strong white cards both MB and SB.

I sleeved up the Rw yesterday during the snow storm and is very similiar to your list. I referenced Jack's top 8 from SCB Baltimore when building mine. Went with 1 less gobling, 1 more ET, 1 less top, and a few other very minor adaptations like a MB peacekeeper from talking to you last weekend.

I do like the EE though, hadn't thought of that.

I really want to run 1 plains in the list. I know you guys said it's not nessassary, but I HATE being color screwed, or wastelanded outta a precious white source. If my hand is fetch+mountain, I see no reason not to fetch a plains in many instances (when threat of WL, or wanting to play a moon)

I'll refine and post for thoughts.

Oct 2013
    SoCal

Somewhat big event coming up tommorow for me. I'll post a tourney report shortly after. Quick question for you gentlemen though. Thorn of Amethyst; brought in against Miracles? I'm leaning towards bringing them in, but if I could get some more insight on this that would be great.
    Currently playing:
    Imperial Painter

One of the few Painter players in SoCal...

Feb 2008
    NYC

No

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Quote Originally Posted by sroncor1 View Post
    here is my updated list

4 imperial recruiters
    4 painters servent
    3 ssg
    2 magus of the moon
    2 goblin welder
    1 jaya ballard
    1 peacekeeper
    3 e tutor
    2 lotus petal
    1 ensnaring bridge
    4 grindstone
    6 blast effect
    2 SDT
    1 koth
    1 ee

8 sol lands
    5 fetches
    2 plateau
    3 mountains
    1 great furnance

side
    4 rip
    1 helm
    1 stoneforge
    1 jitte
    1 SoLS
    2 ensnaring bridge
    4 firebolt
    1 viashin heretic
    Nice list curious did I count wrong 56 MD? Blood Moon?

At GP Paris today, I picked up my 3rd loss in round8, so I did not make it to day2. My losses were vs. Elves, d&t and pox. My wins were vs. Merfolk, mono-b reanimator, BUG delver, and d&t. I have some notes I'll share with you when I'm back home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 2008
    NYC

Yes you are right there should be four blood moon also.

Seth

Again I really like the list Seth, did you ever come across a need for basic plains? T1, T2 moon makes casting anything W from a Petal. On the other side if you land a T1 moon your doing well and might not even care. I have always been fond of Viashino Heretic, did he perform better than Manic Vandal? I agree RIP is ridiculous and I like the 4 of in the side. What mu's did SFM perform well in?

EDIT: seen you already answered my basic plains question xD

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    pEDIT: seen you already answered my basic plains question xD
    I will be testing 1 plains. My reasoning: matchups such as DnT. I still want to be able to slam an early moon, and be able to consistently pay Peacekeepers upkeep. I can imagine other scenarios where slamming blood moon is really good but not back breaking and still wanting E Tutor. Or after sideboard access to white for many other cards.

I may find I'm completely wrong... But have to try for myself at least. I'm just stubborn like that.

Here's what I'll be trying; and will discuss results after a local today:
    Deck: legacy - Rw Imperial Painter.dec

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:16
    2 Goblin Welder
    4 Painter's Servant
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Jaya Ballard, Task Mage
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Peacekeeper
    3 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells:25
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Grindstone
    4 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Blood Moon
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Koth of the Hammer

Lands:19
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Arid Mesa
    1 Bloodstained Mire
    3 City of Traitors
    3 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Plateau

Sideboard:15
    4 Firebolt
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Thorn of Amethyst
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Manic Vandal / or Heretic
    1 Helm of Obedience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Jean-Mary Accart playing RW Painter on stream from GP Paris now :D

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

2 Seperate painter decks on stream at both feature matches.

Stawbery shortcake and another R/W variant that seem to be running no imperials recruiters

Edit to not double post

-Imperial painter is in the top 8

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrol View Post
    2 Seperate painter decks on stream at both feature matches.

Stawbery shortcake and another R/W variant that seem to be running no imperials recruiters

Edit to not double post

-Imperial painter is in the top 8
    That there had to go 3 years before a iPainter deck should go into another top 8, sad....
    The fact that there IS a iPainter deck in the top 8.... AWESOME!!! :D

Lejay is in top8 now, go Lejay

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Somewhat big event coming up tommorow for me. I'll post a tourney report shortly after. Quick question for you gentlemen though. Thorn of Amethyst; brought in against Miracles? I'm leaning towards bringing them in, but if I could get some more insight on this that would be great.
    I've had success with using thorns against miracles with my mono red list.

Oct 2013
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by entreri_fans View Post
    Lejay is in top8 now, go Lejay
    Not able to access Twitch right now...is he still in Top 8?
    Currently playing:
    Imperial Painter

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Not able to access Twitch right now...is he still in Top 8?
    no, he lost the 1/4 :(

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

So, looks like Kap'n had a theoretical top 8. even got a shout out in the Profiles.

Just please don't make the name "Strawberry Shortcake" stick. FFS

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by jandax View Post
    So, looks like Kap'n had a theoretical top 8. even got a shout out in the Profiles.

Just please don't make the name "Strawberry Shortcake" stick. FFS
    What is Kap'n's real name? :P

Oct 2013
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix4 View Post
    What is Kap'n's real name? :P
    Jack Kitchen.
    Currently playing:
    Imperial Painter

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Certainly sweet getting the shoutout. He did run a 5th fetch over the 5th mountain which is something I probably should do. I'll see if he wants to write a report

Thread Information