Page 52 of 258 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    What do you mean when you say it feels like more of a glass cannon? Compared to mono red?

I'll write something longer tonight, I just wanted to clarify first. And of course thanks.
    Firstly, thanks for the response. By glass canon, I mean in general, not when compared to mono-red. I get this is my deficiency and I think it comes down to lack of experience and not seeing all the lines of play. I basically crumble if I can't drop a quick moon or pull off the god hand grind by turn two. Watching you, you seemed to hold the initiative almost from the get go. Do you blast early to achieve this? I hold those for protecting the pieces, you seem to play more for tempo, I think. Your games looked like a pressure cooker, make the opponent rush plays and respond in ways they may not have wanted to.

(What's with the small font?)
    Last edited by Jungian Thing; 02-24-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

I mean just from the two videos there isn't really anything that was skillful or outplaying my opponent. Against shardless bug they don't run daze so you just want to overload their decays/lock them off colors/establish a bridge and protect it. So that's all I really did both games. I got lucky drawing the ensnaring bridge as well game 2 when the goyf was beating.

Against reanimator game 1 I didn't play anything because I wanted to nab a careful study if possible. From there it was just my opponent's cantrips not finding anything for him. I draw a welder and I would rather either the grindstone or top get dazed since Welder will go to town, so I played it first. That's about it in terms of sequencing. Everything else about both matches was just drawing better and having the right card.

Regarding the blood moon question. Against an unknown opponent and you are on the play with a turn 1 moon you always go for it. I usually will also in a sideboard game on the play if it will be game ending.

I'll write a report eventually. There were also a few minor misplays I made that didn't end up costing me a match but gave additional outs that shouldn't have existed.

I'm sure this has been discussed before but what about the inclusion of LED? My buddy recently did well in a local tourney with painter and LED. Thoughts?

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

LED is normally run in the U/x version due to the expanded push on Art Tutors and the mana gain that can be used there and the chance to run Bommerman combos. I have seen it in the older Welder/Fathless builds as well. But the reason, aside from space, that it is not run in the fact that its really not needed. The mana curve is at tops 3*, almost all the cards you draw your going to want to hold and use in the right situation and with all the SOL lands you run, you just don't need the push that the mana gives you. I mean its great to push faster kills, but turn two kills off two SOL lands are easy enough as it is. Why do we need this card?

*Walkers and Rakka aside.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Kap'n, thanks for the responses! Hey, slightly ot but what was with all the cash thrown on the table at the end of the footage? It was badass! And magic is never badass.

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

So my question is rather simple. With the raw power of painter in today’s meta, and the results (much of which are from the Kap'n) When are we no longer considered an "Established deck" and moved into "Decks to Beat" though I assume we would get a lot more hate once we move to the form every one reads.

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrol View Post
    So my question is rather simple. With the raw power of painter in today’s meta, and the results (much of which are from the Kap'n) When are we no longer considered an "Established deck" and moved into "Decks to Beat" though I assume we would get a lot more hate once we move to the form every one reads.
    The "Deck to Beat" status is reserved for the highest concentration of deck types that finish well. For example last month Team America had 43 top finishes and painter (all painter variants) had 8. For painter to make that jump there would need to a lot more top 8 appearances which is difficult due to a lot of factors like cost/scarcity among others for this deck. Painter is a fringe deck, although a cool one it will probably never make that jump.

Jack,

when are you posting a report?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

It'll be finished tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    The "Deck to Beat" status is reserved for the highest concentration of deck types that finish well. For example last month Team America had 43 top finishes and painter (all painter variants) had 8. For painter to make that jump there would need to a lot more top 8 appearances which is difficult due to a lot of factors like cost/scarcity among others for this deck. Painter is a fringe deck, although a cool one it will probably never make that jump.
    Interestingly though, this deck is one of the cheapest legacy decks placing atm, particularly the mono red version. Recruiters (judge foils) can be picked up for $70-$80. The white splash makes it dearer but still not in the range of a good many decks.

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

Quote Originally Posted by Jungian Thing View Post
    Interestingly though, this deck is one of the cheapest legacy decks placing atm, particularly the mono red version. Recruiters (judge foils) can be picked up for $70-$80. The white splash makes it dearer but still not in the range of a good many decks.
    I can defanitly attest to this, I picked painter based on a judge friend mentioning the deck a few months back. I have been buying the peices over say the last month and a half and have spent around 375$ and am now 7 cards (3x City and 4x IRecruitor) from compleating the mono red deck... also in that 375 I have picked up about 30$ in odds and ends that could be used in a white splash if i go that route later on

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Jungian Thing View Post
    I think its a very affordable deck at the moment, but its not exactly a budget deck either. I think the real issue with buying into this deck is that it doesn't really branch out into any of the others strategies once the investment has been made, Its not like your investing into manabases (duals or other staples) that can port into completely different strategies if you get board.

Plateaus are cheap though - cheaper than Arid Mesas even!

Jan 2014
    Halifax, NS

Quote Originally Posted by Rampart View Post
    I think its a very affordable deck at the moment, but its not exactly a budget deck either. I think the real issue with buying into this deck is that it doesn't really branch out into any of the others strategies once the investment has been made, Its not like your investing into manabases (duals or other staples) that can port into completely different strategies if you get board.
    Your biggest cost card is a little niche, but the SOL lands can be used in other decks same thing with moons and magus (they also transfer into modern staples in the current meta) most of the side board is modern staples (Canonist, bridges, bolts, graft diggers ect) and if you really wana go into it Welder is a vintage champ.

All in all yes it wont transition as well as all the blue decks...but why do you need to? its so good!

Jun 2011
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrol View Post
    Your biggest cost card is a little niche, but the SOL lands can be used in other decks same thing with moons and magus (they also transfer into modern staples in the current meta) most of the side board is modern staples (Canonist, bridges, bolts, graft diggers ect) and if you really wana go into it Welder is a vintage champ.

All in all yes it wont transition as well as all the blue decks...but why do you need to? its so good!
    We'll yeah, but my comment was on why painter will most likely not be the decks to beat section

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Enjoyed.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Fantastic :D

awesome!
    And congrats!

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Well played. So I run a very similar main list substituting a peacekeeper for one of your revokers and swapped one of the tops for a third tutor. Do you feel 2 tutors is the right number? Was there ever a time you didn't want to draw one? Obviously tops are also good. But especially in boarded games where you are looking for silver bullets (eg a moon or a rip) they seem so good on turn one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2012
    Italy

Hi guys! I have a question to do:
    do you think is better chandra, pyromaster or Koth the hammer in mono-red list?

Thread Information