Page 55 of 258 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Jan 2014
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

I must be alone on this but I very often leave two moons in against decks most people don't. Burn, omni for instance Quite often a moon slows someone down, prevents them from abusing shuffle effects. Against burn it let's you not die to ancient tombs. It can also help develop your mana base in games which might go longer.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

[Deck] Imperial Painter

I think we can easily forget the purpose of this deck sometimes.

The "reason" to play white is not hate cards. It's to establish a more reliable and faster combo!

The fact that e tutor can grab hate cards in certain situations is relegated to a "bonus" of playing white.

If your goal is to slam hate cards then play Dragon/Tribal Stompy.

This deck is at its heart a combo centric deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I've tested against a friend, playing MonoU OmniTell, and it seems for the MonoR version of Painter, to either:
    A) Throw in Tormod's Crypt's
    or B) Board out Grindstones and Blood Moons and go for the beatdown..

But then again, not a good MU, but I'm all about thinking the best line of play against them :D

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Ish View Post
    I think we can easily forget the purpose of this deck sometimes.

The "reason" to play white is not hate cards. It's to establish a more reliable and faster combo!

The fact that e tutor can grab hate cards in certain situations is relegated to a "bonus" of playing white.

If your goal is to slam hate cards then play Dragon/Tribal Stompy.

This deck is at its heart a combo centric deck.

The problem is, you can't just "combo" against Omnitell, as they have Emrakul. And like stated above, their three card combo is way faster and naturally resistant to ours. So this is one matchup that you have to alter your game plan. But, tutors are good at fetching up silver bullets and can work double duty in this particular case. Otherwise I would generally agree with you.

I play the white splash and was playing against Zombardment, we played many games and I lost only one. The game I lost, had me blood moon out, sitting behind a bridge, with bombardment revoked waiting for a grindstone, the game was all but mine. Then I drew an eTutor and was unable to play it and he attacked, then I drew the other and in three short turns I was lost.

I think it was a sideboard error. My hypothesis is that when bridge is a core piece against weenies then board out tutors and possibly REBs. Is this correct?

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by Jungian Thing View Post
    I play the white splash and was playing against Zombardment, we played many games and I lost only one. The game I lost, had me blood moon out, sitting behind a bridge, with bombardment revoked waiting for a grindstone, the game was all but mine. Then I drew an eTutor and was unable to play it and he attacked, then I drew the other and in three short turns I was lost.

I think it was a sideboard error. My hypothesis is that when bridge is a core piece against weenies then board out tutors and possibly REBs. Is this correct?
    And how many games did tutor find you a rip, moon, bridge, or combo piece out of 'a bunch of games'

I mean it's just some variance at the end of the day. Shit happens and it's certainly a risk to splashing with moon. Taking out reb isn't the worst and I could see that being okay.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

You also have the option of playing and fetching one basic plains and/or playing more lotus petals if you are really worried about casting your e.tutors.

I have a question about playing a semi-sustainable form of creature removal (eg lavamancer or cursed scroll) in place of one firebolt in the board. Anyone try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    And how many games did tutor find you a rip, moon, bridge, or combo piece out of 'a bunch of games'

I mean it's just some variance at the end of the day. Shit happens and it's certainly a risk to splashing with moon. Taking out reb isn't the worst and I could see that being okay.
    Of course the tutor was strong in the other matches it sped up victory. I just find I learn more from my losses than victories. I am still at the experience level where I can't tell the shit happening from the poor decision making. I have no intention of removing the white splash. (I have played white since 1994, it's mine!)

I just want to improve my performances by improving my decisions in both mulligan and sideboard, I am not saying my gameplay is immaculate but gameplay errors for me are less about having a grip on the deck and more about broader meta knowledge, poor concentration, tiredness and tilting. Ironically my worst tilt is the I-have-this-won tilt where I increase my risk tolerance and make evermore speculative plays.

And, thanks for responding!

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    I have a question about playing a semi-sustainable form of creature removal (eg lavamancer or cursed scroll) in place of one firebolt in the board.
    Umm well we do run jaya. So maybe add another since it has the broadest application

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Having a MD and SB Jaya is probably never wrong. She gets stuff done

Quote Originally Posted by drude1 View Post
    You also have the option of playing and fetching one basic plains and/or playing more lotus petals if you are really worried about casting your e.tutors.

I have a question about playing a semi-sustainable form of creature removal (eg lavamancer or cursed scroll) in place of one firebolt in the board. Anyone try it?

If you are going to try this, I would think you'd want something like cursed scroll, and not Grim since as other people pointed out Jaya is already in your deck... (it is right? ) and the cards that can deal with Jaya can deal with Grim.

Maybe there is something else out there to consider as well. Not sure.

I like the idea of Cursed Scroll because it also can be searched up with ETutor, but I have run into instances where being able to bluff a blast in hand has been helpful and Cursed Scroll is the ultimate anti-bluff

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Just don't run Cursed Scroll. Even though its my all time fav card ever, it's a dissynergy with the deck. Jaya is the way to go.

Can also run a back up Jaya in the board if you want in this situation as Jaya rips the useless cards out of your hand to keep bridge count low.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    Can also run a back up Jaya in the board if you want in this situation as Jaya rips the useless cards out of your hand to keep bridge count low.
    I don't think you want 2x Jaya in the 75 :P

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix4 View Post
    I personally don't but some people have in the past and I'm sure still might.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    I personally don't but some people have in the past and I'm sure still might.
    Well yeah, and it's not like I'm in the middle of shooting the concept down or anything, if it works in certain people's local meta, they should do it by all means.

But I'm personally more of a "silver-bullet-kinda-guy" :D

I'm just having so much pain, whether or not to include a Spellskite in the MB or SB.... Can't really see, if it's worth it (Although Gregg Smith did it with success, last time) :)

Spellskite is not needed. It's not bad but u rly don't need it and spots are tight already. Same goes for the 2nd jaya sb. Takes the slots of firebolt/sudden demise and I'd rather have those

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by rancOr_ View Post
    Spellskite is not needed. It's not bad but u rly don't need it and spots are tight already. Same goes for the 2nd jaya sb. Takes the slots of firebolt/sudden demise and I'd rather have those
    @rancOr_: How many Sudden Demise do you have, SB?

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix4 View Post
    It's not clunky at all, in matches where she's good she can get killed so a backup is nice.

Thread Information