Page 7 of 258 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Hello all. I hope I'm posting this correctly I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong.
    I have inally picked up recruiters and decided to give this deck a go, and I must say its a blast. The list imb running thus far is

1 solemn simulacrum
    4 painters servant
    4 simian spirit guide
    3 magus of the moon
    4 imperial recruiter
    3 goblin welder

4 blood moon

3 faithless looting
    4 red elemental blast
    3 pyroblast

1 ensnaring bridge
    1 sword of light and shadow
    4 chrome mox
    4 grindstone

3 great furnice
    5 mountains
    4 ancient tomb
    4 city of traitors

Sb

1 vexing shusher
    4 fairy macabre
    3 trinisphere
    2 phyrexian revoker
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 pyroclasm
    2?

The questions I have are a. Does this seem like an optimal list. B. What should my other 2 sb cards be? My meta is pretty diverce but there is an abundance of rug, esper/death blade, and show n tell. Other than that's its 12 post goblins and death n taxes

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Does people in here generally prefer Trinisphere in the main or in the board? :)

Most list generally these days don't run trinisphere at all. If you did want to run it, it would have to depend what kind of approach you wanted to take with the deck (usually dependent on metagame suggestions) More people seem to use Thorn instead, as it can be put in with 1 sol land, at least that is my take on it.

Speaking of Trini and Thorn effects, Seth, have you thought about adding 1 Thalia to the SB in place of Thorn for your white splash as a recuiter target which swings decently with first strike? Been meaning to test out the white splash, still just trying to think of the way I wanted to put the sb together.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    Most list generally these days don't run trinisphere at all. If you did want to run it, it would have to depend what kind of approach you wanted to take with the deck (usually dependent on metagame suggestions) More people seem to use Thorn instead, as it can be put in with 1 sol land, at least that is my take on it.

Speaking of Trini and Thorn effects, Seth, have you thought about adding 1 Thalia to the SB in place of Thorn for your white splash as a recuiter target which swings decently with first strike? Been meaning to test out the white splash, still just trying to think of the way I wanted to put the sb together.
    Well, Thorn doesn't slow my OP's down as much as Trinisphere does, and we're kinda okay with paying 3? :)

I'm trying trini first. It really hurts an opposing deck when it comes down. Thorn doesn't punish cantrips as bad.

Obviously meta and personal preference plays a major role too.

Had a fun scenerio happen with trini. I had 2 welders in play with trini and during my turn was able to welder out trini on my turn and cast.spells at normal cost and at eot welder trini back to tax opponent. Granted this won't always happen but there'd deff tricks in this deck to make trini work to our advantage even more than most decks that play it. It's kind of like e bridge in the fact that we play around it unroll we sculpt a hand that can win than welder it away and.go.off

Quote Originally Posted by cadaver View Post
    Had a fun scenerio happen with trini. I had 2 welders in play with trini and during my turn was able to welder out trini on my turn and cast.spells at normal cost and at eot welder trini back to tax opponent. Granted this won't always happen but there'd deff tricks in this deck to make trini work to our advantage even more than most decks that play it. It's kind of like e bridge in the fact that we play around it unroll we sculpt a hand that can win than welder it away and.go.off
    :). Cool!

Ill post my experience with them. I'm running 4 in the board.

Nobody's arguing with the power level of Trinisphere. If you had a choice between Trinisphere or Thorn of Amethyst to have in play against combo, you would obviously choose Trinisphere. The problem is the mana cost. When you're up against matchups where you need to have a sphere effect in play as soon as possible, Thorn costing 2 instead of 3 is a really big deal. In situations where you have it in your opening hand, you can reasonably get it into play on turn 1 and always get it into play on turn 2. Combo decks' combination of duress effects and high speed make this one turn difference extremely important.

@Cadaver:
    1. The first thing that jumps out about your list is 4 Chrome Mox. Wow, that's a LOT! I would cut this down to two at most, putting in 2 red fetch lands instead.
    2. I haven't seen Solemn Simulacrum played in this deck in a long time. It's just too slow and doesn't do enough. If you're looking for a card with an excellent Goblin Welder interaction, I'd direct you to Wurmcoil Engine.
    3. I'd try to find room for Sensei's Divining Top if you can. That card has proven itself time and again for me, and it's especially good in decks that play multiple Goblin Welders.
    4. For your last sideboard cards, my recommendations include Koth of the Hammer (no more than 1), Tormod's Crypt, Manic Vandal, and Ratchet Bomb.

@Sroncor:
    Have you tested that build (with sword) against Jund? How does the matchup look? Basically, I'm wondering whether or not landing SoLaS is actually game over (or some approximation thereof).

Feb 2008
    NYC

In regards to Trinisphere, the card is really strong. While it will slow your opponent down, it does also slow us down, just not as bad. In a world of janky combo decks like belcher it is a house. I have never really found it to be insane against TES. If they keep a land light, cantrips heavy hand it can slow them down enough for you to combo first. But it does make it very had to REB them effectively while also building our combo. Personally I have found that redundancy in the combo along with aggressive mulligans, and blast effects are the best way I personally have found to combat the deck. The E tutor allows for more consistent combos, but not necessarily faster. REB is still critical whether it is stopping a cantrip or a burning wish. Something Hollywood also said was bad things happen after Brainstorm so my thought is maximize my ability to prevent that.

About SoLS, it is very strong against Jund. Not game over but it helps. They really need abrupt decay to win and it eliminates their red removal about half the time. The life gain is nice when things get Long with deathrite. But coupled with the Firebolt it serves a great foil to deathrite while minimizing the power of most of their removal along with making our dudes at least presentable. I really like my current build against Jund and actually thin the match is in my favor now.

About Thalia, she may be awesome. I have never checked her out but seems like an idea that may have legs. My gut tells me Cannonist may be better as both Recruiter and E tutor get that one. Years ago I used Cannonist to marginal success. But as I noted above, for me the best way to beat other combos is have a piece of disruption to get me to turn three and help ensure that the combo is consistent as I can to go off that turn.

Seth
    …no matter how much you think you love somebody, you’ll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duressed View Post
    Nobody's arguing with the power level of Trinisphere.
    I dont think anyone was arguing anything. The pros and cons of each card are quite obvious and understood by everyone. The discussion that I read was simply "what is everyone else playing?". Not which is better.

So the two decks I found painter struggles against are rug.and aggro loam. How do we fight these decks. It seems anything with burn and counters is a pain

Quote Originally Posted by cadaver View Post
    So the two decks I found painter struggles against are rug.and aggro loam. How do we fight these decks. It seems anything with burn and counters is a pain
    Counters can hurt... Against rug you just need to stick a blood moon effect. Try doing it with blast backup. If you can get it to stick early you're way ahead... Then just burn out any delivers they may have. Goyf can be handled with painter/blast or jaya.... Or just chump block while looking for combo

Aggro loam: sculpt the combo and go off. Again if they are playing a greedy manabase moon them and shut them out.

SB: A resolves bridge against RUG is good. Revokers against loam... Hard to keep around but best card against seismic assault

Went to my first tournament with this yesterday. About 50 players.

Went 3-3. Overall was happy with that at the experience level I have with the deck. Also had a BLAST playing it.

Wins: elves, affinity, Jund
    Losses: affinity, deathblade, ANT

The only "bad draws" match I had was against storm. Lost game 1 legit. Game 2 mulled to 5 and got stuck on 2 land with a thorn in play... 2 more in hand lol.

The deathblade match was the only one I felt like I never had a chance.

Affinity and super fast creature decks feel scary right now. I want more puroclasms or somthing.

Top felt great sometimes, awkward sometimes without a grindstone. Magma blast was only meh, Gonna give faithless looting a try instead. Would love to find room for bolts but just don't see it.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Aaaww mayn, I'm dying to play this deck again, unfortunatly I can't until July, as I have a bet with a friend :/

What I'm really dying to try out is a welder version with Trinisphere in the main, since the Mono-R sneak attack deck I'm playing, has great success fucking the OP over :D

Regarding the Bolt situation, Ish is talking about:
    How many times do you have it in hand, and you'd want it to be something else? ;)

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix4 View Post
    Regarding the Bolt situation, Ish is talking about:
    How many times do you have it in hand, and you'd want it to be something else? ;)
    It's actually funny you mention this bolt scenario as it is one of the things that I have been tinkering with over the past week or two. My list will probably change with the legend rule update and the release of Theros since there will assuredly be a bunch of new creatures we want to kill but at the moment I have been trying out the following changes from my 1st page list: out 3 bolts, 1 mountain, in 2 revoker, 1 blast, 1 fetch and changing the sideboard revoker to a Koth. The Koth slot may become a 2nd Jaya to help against creature decks but the changes help out against a wider variety of decks where bolt is subpar. Also, just like additional copies of Welder, Revoker (as compared to Bolt) will draw counterspells and removal that otherwise would hit Painter. It's been pretty good so far. To compensate for the lack of bolts I have been bringing in Martyr against confidant and deathrite decks.

Ish all I can say is keep playing. The power level of the deck is so high with Moon effects but you really improve your skill in the games where Moon doesn't matter or where it gets countered. Also, run Martyr. It has saved my ass from such a wide range of decks it seems perfect for what you're looking for.

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

@Kap'n:
    Do you always use Martyr of Ashes to kill creatures with toughness, or do you sometimes sack it for 2 or more, potentially killing bigger critters? :)

Bob Ross
    Jun 2012
    Baltimore

Whatever the situation calls for. I've put Painter on Red just to get some huge Martyr kills or turn your lands/artifacts into red cards for the x=1/2 activation

Ooh. I do like martyr. Didn't have that in my list. A tutorable mini wrath.

Dec 2012
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n Cook View Post
    Nick your list looks fine. Pretty standard. 3-4 fetches in mono-red is just based on preference I think. Maindeck 1-of ensnaring bridge seems kind of random since you can't tutor for it, you can only top/stone for it. I have never liked Mindbreak trap in Painter but do what works for you. What is your mtgo name? I am wondering if you are the one I've played the mirror against.
    Ya, I think that was me. My name is Psychic_Viking, I remember playing like a donkey and walking into everything against someone playing painter. I know the singleton bridge seems janky but I haven't found anything I like over it yet.

I ran a single bridge this weekend and it did great. Not sure I want to keep it in, but I don't think it's janky. Game 1 vs elves it saved my ass.

Thread Information