Page 94 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 5144

Thread: [Deck] Imperial Painter

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

Re: [Deck] Imperial Painter

Spellskite is quite good versus burn and has other uses. It doesn't necessitate a splash.
    Smash to smithereens answers it but that's about it and at least if that happens it's not targeting the combo.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Quote Originally Posted by NathanS2k View Post
    But aren't those match ups we're already pretty good against? I'm thinking about a singleton COP: Red in heavy Burn and UR Delver meta, which I think is really tough for us. I just hate loosing to Burn and it always put me on tilt when I have to face against it.
    Try warmth. It isnt mana-intensive and it is tutorable (like COP). I've run it in the SB ever since burn blew up on MODO. Works well when you get it :)

Did you see the spoilers of FTV: Anniquilation???

They will relaunch ROLLING EARTHQUAKE, a card with potential to play in MD or SB of Painters.

=D

For this deck Sudden Demise is vastly superior if you want an X pyroclasm effect. You can use it an potential not hit any of your own creatures or you can use Painter's colour of choice if you need to hit everything. Plus with us using Ancient Tombs we need all the life we can get with Burn, Delver and Goyf's running around.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Moomba View Post
    For this deck Sudden Demise is vastly superior if you want an X pyroclasm effect. You can use it an potential not hit any of your own creatures or you can use Painter's colour of choice if you need to hit everything. Plus with us using Ancient Tombs we need all the life we can get with Burn, Delver and Goyf's running around.
    Yeah, I would have to agree. The benefit Sudden Demise has of potentially not hitting your own stuff plus the life loss with Rolling Earthquake are definitely strikes against it. The only reason I would play Rolling Thunder over Sudden Demise is that I can now get it foiled!

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Imperial Painter Thread summed up in two words, pimp is tech

Met a Sourcer at GP Utrecht last weekend, jasper78 recognized a blood moon when he saw one. Shout outs

As for the actual tournament, I scrubbed pretty hard. Wasn't playing to win, really. It has been like half a year since I've sat down to play Legacy. But at least I can pinpoint exactly where I done goofed and learned from it. For the first time ever I found Koth to be a hole in the deck. Never saw it. Not once. Anyone else know that feel?

I've removed Koth from my list awhile ago, and after finishing 21st @ Syracuse this past weekend too, I've changed a few small things to really stream line the main deck. Gotta test it out at some local events to see how it works outside of my gold fishing.

Aug 2009
    Utrecht, Netherlands

That was sort of my progressive thinking, to streamline more and clunk it up less...

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

I've had the same problem with Koth. I only really like him in against Miracles and he wasn't too bad against DnT. Every other deck I wanted to board him in I could never decide if he was worth it.

Recently I played a small 3 round Tournament and played 2 BUG Delver Decks and 1 Merfolk. 3-0ed. Firebolt was an all star (Even got to flashback) however I've been contemplating going back to Lightning Bolt.

A friend of mine has a whole bunch of legacy decks proxied up , and I am gonna run the gauntlet one of these days. I'll do a nice report.

Jul 2010
    Minneapolis, MN

[Deck] Imperial Painter

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    I didn't see nothing about CURSED TOTEM in this topic. I think Cursed Totem is a powerfull card to put in SB. It helps in matches like Death and Taxes, Elves, blades, BUG, etc).

Anyone of you have tested?
    Cursed totem would shut off Jaya and welders. Don't love it. As for Koth, never really loved him. He just has no synergy with the rest of the deck. That, and you have no way to tutor for him. In a deck full of tutor effects, why would you make this one of your win conditions.

Hey guys.. I guess I found the solution against burn.

What do you think about Nyx-Fleece Ram?? We can fetch it with recruiter and tutor!

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
    Hey guys.. I guess I found the solution against burn.

What do you think about Nyx-Fleece Ram?? We can fetch it with recruiter and tutor!
    Its not good. Compared to Warmth or COP:Red (Which actually protects you.)
    They could throw 2 bolts/chain lightning and you're only getting one life during your upkeep.
    Recruiter searching for Ram and Being able to cast it only to gain 1 life during your upkeep is way too slow and burn will probably have a good amount of damage on you anyways.

I personally ran Sphere of Law at Syracuse and it won me 1 burn match and almost won me another (guy had a lucky double fireblast while he was tapped out and I was exactly at 8). If you drop it by turn 3 it should be very hard to lose the match.

The best protection against burn is COP Red. The only way they can beat it is Pithing Needle, they splash white for (Wear/Tear) or you get impatient and don't hold up enough mana. Yes it takes free mana but you just sit back and pass the turn until you have enough to protect + win. The hardest part is being patient.

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    The best protection against burn is COP Red. The only way they can beat it is Pithing Needle, they splash white for (Wear/Tear) or you get impatient and don't hold up enough mana. Yes it takes free mana but you just sit back and pass the turn until you have enough to protect + win. The hardest part is being patient.

It would seem so! Corulla just won the 11 Aug legacy daily on MTG with a single COP REd in the sideboard! Interesting that he had one firebolt and one Jitte in the MB. He also 2 Pyroclasm in the sideboard.

I have been testing Pyrokinese for a week and I have to say it performed better then expected. Everytime I side it in for appropriate matchup in game 2 and 3, it has taken out 2 and sometimes 3 creatures. Opponents just never expect it. As a instant, you can cast it without mana open and at the appropriate times. I took our 3 elves in one game that won me the match. In a Aggro delver, I took out a delver and deathrite and that turned the game around for me to win. Another time, I took out 2 delvers and in another game, I took out a goyf and delver.

I also finally won against Miracles today. Tough match but won in game 2 with a grindstone and game 3 with beat down after getting blood moon in play. I basically kept baiting him to plow, terminus cards like magus and welder and jaya. Then REC revoker on Top and manage to get blood moon in play when he dealt with the many creature threats I played. I also narrowly lost another miracles match 2-1. The third game was close. He was down to 2 life before he manage to get a lock on me.

All in all it seems that the main problem decks for IP(for me) these days seems to be S&T and the aggro version of delver. I would rate my chances against them to be less then 40%. I am seeing alot less Burn these days which I am really glad though.

Monkey Blast
    Aug 2011
    Champaign, IL

Quote Originally Posted by oliverpool View Post
    All in all it seems that the main problem decks for IP(for me) these days seems to be S&T and the aggro version of delver. I would rate my chances against them to be less then 40%. I am seeing alot less Burn these days which I am really glad though.
    By Aggro version of delver, are you talking about U/R delver? S&T can be a pain, but most of the time its just digging for bridge (and hoping they allow it to put it in with their SnT) and hoping to kill them with Jaya under bridge. G1 isnt bad, but its g2 & g3 that they bring in Ashen Rider to blow up your bridge which is bad for painter :/

I tested against my friend last night who was playing U/R delver. Very hard matchup as they just have so much removal and present some must deal with threats (Delver, Lavamancer) I also tried Warmth in the Sideboard and wasn't impressed with it. I almost want to run Leyline of Sanctity to beat the Burn matches, or Try Witchbane Orb. Both of those also are decent in other matches too.

Quote Originally Posted by UnsungHero View Post
    By Aggro version of delver, are you talking about U/R delver? S&T can be a pain, but most of the time its just digging for bridge (and hoping they allow it to put it in with their SnT) and hoping to kill them with Jaya under bridge. G1 isnt bad, but its g2 & g3 that they bring in Ashen Rider to blow up your bridge which is bad for painter :/

I tested against my friend last night who was playing U/R delver. Very hard matchup as they just have so much removal and present some must deal with threats (Delver, Lavamancer) I also tried Warmth in the Sideboard and wasn't impressed with it. I almost want to run Leyline of Sanctity to beat the Burn matches, or Try Witchbane Orb. Both of those also are decent in other matches too.
    Ya U/R and the U/R/G? with deathrite shaman. Their combination of daze/pierce/force/bolts/pyromancer/delver and wasteland is really a pain. Some games its like they have a answer for everything you throw at them and they end up with a goyf or pyro or delver/shaman on the table after everything. Or a wasteland just appears at the right time when you have a way to win the next turn. I get the feeling I am always on the reaction mode against the delver deck instead of trying to establish my game state.

Show and Tell and not dedges(Bridge from below) is the one I have issue with. They do have some counters which they will keep against one of your combo pieces but by turn 2, you have to be on the look our for Show and Tell and later a sneak attack. Pyroblast is really our only way to make sure a Grisel or Emrakul does not come on board. Bridges does help if you have it in hand.

I find that Leyline of Sanctity is great against burn. But One big problem when I ran with 4 in my SB. You pretty much need to have it in your first 7. If not, the double white requirement and 4 mana casting spell almost means turn 3 or 4 if ever before you are able to cast it. By then, its pretty much game over. Even with it out on turn 0, the burn player will keep fireblast, bolts and chain etc all for your painter and move to the beat down plan. That is still pretty strong play esp with eidolon in play. Shattering spree and their spearing blood is also a killer for our deck if they side it in. I am thinking COP Red is really the answer. When I tested warmth, I did not find it that fantastic. Also with Mono Red seemingly on the downtrend, I am not sure if we want to devote too many SB to it? Maybe more SB cards vs Delvers and S&T might make more sense.

Sep 2010
    Monterey Park, CA

Just got home from playing Thursday night Legacy at my lgs. We had 15 people. I'm still using the stock Shortcake list.

Round 1: Death and Taxes (2-0)
    Round 2: Dredge (2 -0)
    Round 3: Ant (2-1)
    Round 4: Burn (2-0)

Against Burn, I was on the play and I assembled my combo fast and my opponent was tapped out. Game 2, my opponent went down to 4 cards and I kept my 7.
    Looking for Chinese cards to complete my legacy decks....hit me up!!!

Check out what I have for trades

Oct 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I'm getting so damn tired of Death and Taxes, that I bought 2 foil Flashfires (Obviously, it HAS to be foil.... FLASHfires? ;) ), that i put in my board for yesterdays weekly legacy tourney... Plus one of my friends has gotten this crazy idea of collecting that monoW soldier deck with Suppression Field's and shit in it, so I figured, hell why not.... Didn't meet one single white deck that day...

Got to the last round as 4-1 in the swiss, getting paired up against my friend who was 5-0 at that time, so obviously, he wanted to play, and I couldn't draw, so we play:

Game 1, he wins the dieroll, and thoughtseizes me, taking my Blood Moon, which leaves me with a lot of mana on my hand.... Don't mind it, I just start to rip the cards from the top until I outclass his draws with mine....

Game 2... Playing patiently drawing 3 Force of Will's from his hand, before my 4th moon effect sticks to the board, giving me enough time to set up shop and combo him :D

My list for reference:

Lands
    6x Mountain
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    2x Wooded Foothills
    2x Bloodstained Mire

Creatures
    4x Painter's Servant
    4x Imperial Recruiter
    4x Simian Spirit Guide
    2x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Magus of the Moon
    1x Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Other
    4x Blood Moon
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    4x Lightning Bolt
    2x Red Elemental Blast
    4x Pyroblast
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    2x Lotus Petal
    1x Chrome Mox
    4x Grindstone

Sideboard
    2x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    1x Manic Vandal
    3x Pyrokinesis
    1x Shattering Spree
    2x Koth of the Hammer

I'm not at all arguing the strength and resiliency (Spell check, anyone?) of the S-Cake version, but if I had the chance to go to GP New Jersey in November.... I wouldn't change a damn thing, and I would play the living hell out of all the fair decks :D

Oct 2012
    Italy

I put koth in my sideboard for now and I'm inclined towards removing him. I still have him in my 75 because i just love the card :) but i really think that in shortcake with 4 imperial recruiters and 3 tutors we should run another creature/artifact/enchantment tutorable silver bullet instead of a random planeswalker. If you want to wreck miracle, just run 3 koth in sideboard :)

I want to ask some opinions about sideboarding against jund. Jund is the most popular deck in my area and most of my opponents side in a couple surgical extractions against me .... after being unable to win with combo for some games, i started siding in rip + helm. The problem is that i think i am oversideboarding now because i'm doing like + 4 firebolt, + 2 ensnaring bridge, + 3 rip, + 1 helm of obedience. What do you think is better.... having less firebolts? not having bridges? not having rip at all?

Thread Information