Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Mar 2013
    Bern (Switzerland)

Re: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Well this is my little descriptiont the GPT for Strassbourg in Switzerland (Lausanne).

It was not my best day my Decklist was the same like i posted in this Treath only Main -1 Meditate + intuition and in SB -1 Spell Pierce + Pact of negation. Don't Know the Meta in Lausanne. A lot RUG Delver what me surprised.
    We was only 19 people and 5 round+ top 8.

First Game against Fish Rogue Deck..-.-

G1: He doesn't play legacy serious and play swamp and inqui of Kozilek and discard my High Tide
    Then i land go (Still Flusterstorm in hand, Maybe he plays more discard.^^)
    But then he plays isolated Chapeled. (Thinking ehm ok lol..fish)
    Then i play island and a cantrip he in respons Extripate-.- LOL¨? GG
    G2: Have a nice Hand and he play only a discard and discard my high Tide again and exile it.(Have 2 island in play)
    ok no problem have one in SB:)
    He have not really a clock then he play a kira, great glass Spinner?lol?
    ok i play meditate draw 4 cards find no Spiral...
    next turn in eot i plays wish into high Tide and hope for next turn to find a spiral.
    Play a lot cantrips and brainstorm with fetch..Dont find anything..
    he play a Snapcaster at eot and have now a real clock^^
    ok then he attacked my make nothing and play eot Blue sun's zenith for 4 and find nothing only cantrips.counter etc..
    I play Cantrip again find nothing and he attacked my again and then cames the time to going off with High Tide a lot untap effects and BS and cantrips..Nothing-.- Shit happens!
    0-1-0

Match 2 against Junk Lands.
    G1 he have not really much and i going off.
    G2 He plays Confis and hate like Chalice(i counter that) and i have to long find all again lol and he can play with the time and has 3 rishadan port in play + a Stony silence that i can not bounce because i try to going off with
    tide in upkeep in rsp to his ports, but have only 1 tide in hand and that not enough mana for Wype away+untap enough lands.
    G3 I can counce and counter all and i can go off.(only a stony silence on the field but thats not enough)

1-1-0

Match 3 against Esper Stoneblade

G1 He make not much and i go off:)
    G2 I kpt a 1 land hand with 2 cantrips 2counter + brainstorm and Tide.(Maybe i should take a mulligan, but was on the Draw), Find no land and he plays to much hate like Meddling Mage.
    G3 Have a good Hand and play land go, he make not much 3 turns only Top and play a eot clique and i have to FoW(still open island) because he can put my Tide or Spiral bottom and haven't a BS..
    Then he plays a Meddling Mage. Ok no problem i have a wipe away on hand. Have now in my Turns counter 1 + grid in hand and have enough lands to going off next turn. But he play's in he's turn
    a Cannonist and a Counterbalance. To much and GG.

1-2-0

Next Game(4) against GW Maverick

G1: Not much only a thalia and i counter it and can go off 2 turns later.
    G2: Don't find enough lands. lol and i shuffle good xD
    G3: he plays only a Gaddock Teeg and then he make not much only a Knight a turn later and i bounce Teeg and going off:)

2-2-0

Now i hope for Top 8 maybe..
    Match 5 against RUG

Was a Friend and i knows what he does play.
    G1: He plays no clock and only Ponder, BS etc.Then i counter a lot things off me and plays a Treshhold Mongo. And with 2 Bolts, Mongo, Snapi+Bolt(3) and Fetch Dmg he make my down to 2.
    But then i can go off and winn the Game.
    G2: play a daze proof Defense Grid and makes the Game:)

3-2-0

Now Top 8 or not and like the badest game ever in Round 1 i was only 9th:(
    But 3-2 ok not really good but hope for the next Time.

Well i hope your enjoy

Greets Dingo

Dec 2011
    USA

Thank you for sharing the tournament report ^.^
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Dec 2011
    USA

Good god, 9 of the top 16 at DC is Esperblade or Countertop, but especially Countertop, do your job Abrupt Decay that deck needs to go away!

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Good god, 9 of the top 16 at DC is Esperblade or Countertop, but especially Countertop, do your job Abrupt Decay that deck needs to go away!
    Seriously, when I'm playing High Tide, Countertop/Miracles just makes me hate my life D:
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    +1 :)

Need to decide what combodeck to play in Strasbourg soon. I don't want counter-top in the meta :)

In my case, I will play High Tide anyway. Even if the metagame is changing, there are so many decks in Legacy that you cannot predict what will be in front of you. Knowing this, I prefer to play a deck I start to know very well instead of a new one that I will have no time to play efficiently, including all the side boards subtleties etc... Another argument in favor of pushing High Tide is that people don't play correctly against this deck because it's not part of the "decks to beat". Finally, we can beat Counter Top. It's not easy, but we can.

I have been testing the deck with 0 Meditate. I must say that I miss my Meditates post Spiral but I am glad to see 1 Preordain sitting in my opening hand instead of a 3 CCM card... I just hope that 0 Meditate does not affect too much the chance of fizzle.

@untaps
    The reason I would prefer candelabras over turnabouts in that scenario would be speed. Candelabras saving a mana played a turn before could be important. It's also a card in play post-spiral (if fizzle factor is the concern and not the opponent this is relevant). If you try to go off asap and do that turn3 there is allready one more land that could be drawn from Time Spiral compared to if you went off turn4 with 4 lands in play. Marginal, but a fact:) I want to minimize my poor Spirals.

@fizzle
    If you are concerned about fizzling I can really recommend brain freeze as a much easier route to victory (card-wise). The toughest / most common matchup I think is deathrite+discard+counters.dec and brain freeze works perfectly fine (no emrakul/progenitus shuffle and no direct damage in their upkeep). I've had 3 high tides / merchant scroll / ponder extirpated in a game where I sided all my candelabras out. And i still won after the third spiral and a million cantrips -> brain freeze. Meditate is awesome against discard and if you have tide+untap+card draw you are good to go... the BF kill requires less mana (= less cards) so it's easier to pull off.

Sep 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by TiMeWaLk View Post
    In my case, I will play High Tide anyway. Even if the metagame is changing, there are so many decks in Legacy that you cannot predict what will be in front of you. Knowing this, I prefer to play a deck I start to know very well instead of a new one that I will have no time to play efficiently, including all the side boards subtleties etc... Another argument in favor of pushing High Tide is that people don't play correctly against this deck because it's not part of the "decks to beat". Finally, we can beat Counter Top. It's not easy, but we can.
    I have been testing the deck with 0 Meditate. I must say that I miss my Meditates post Spiral but I am glad to see 1 Preordain sitting in my opening hand instead of a 3 CCM card... I just hope that 0 Meditate does not affect too much the chance of fizzle.
    Played a tournament yesterday with 3 MD Meditate. Against decks with no active clock or some discard an eot meditate is so amazing and cleared the way or gave me the cards I needed to go off.

During the Tournament I realized that Intuition in my SB was wrong. In a non-candelabra list it is so important in the MD... Lost two rounds and the 1-2 vs Belcher was so stupid caude I lost to the tokens! First tournament without Echoing truth in my SB! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph2k View Post
    During the Tournament I realized that Intuition in my SB was wrong. In a non-candelabra list it is so important in the MD...
    You do know it's possible to play one in the maindeck AND one in the sideboard? Having one in the sideboad is unrelated to not having one in your maindeck so not sure why you think having one in sideboard is wrong.. I do agree that 3 meditate 0 intuition main is (a lot imho) worse than 2 meditate 1 intuition.

How did you lose to Belcher? I can see us losing game 1 if we don't know what we are facing + they won the dieroll + they have a turn 1 kill + we don't have a force.. but apart from that? And even then we should still win game 2 and 3 easily.
    Last edited by esthoril; 03-18-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Dec 2011
    USA

SCG Seattle, 1 month, anyone here going? Don't forget to put the time in off work now so you get Sunday off!

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

So I'm looking into starting to work on a MTGO version of the deck and the one thing really holding me back is the Force of Wills. I'd want to pick them up somewhere down the line but I'm not really looking to be dropping another $210 on a set of 3 right this moment if I can help it (kind of on a tight budget). What would you run in it's place in the main? I'd be running some Flusterstorms already with Pacts in the side, as per my prior posted list, but this is the one thing that's really putting me in a tough spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlameAshura View Post
    So I'm looking into starting to work on a MTGO version of the deck and the one thing really holding me back is the Force of Wills. I'd want to pick them up somewhere down the line but I'm not really looking to be dropping another $210 on a set of 3 right this moment if I can help it (kind of on a tight budget). What would you run in it's place in the main? I'd be running some Flusterstorms already with Pacts in the side, as per my prior posted list, but this is the one thing that's really putting me in a tough spot.
    There is no great replacement, as force really helps in all phases of the gameplan (setting up, drawing out the game to get more islands, protecting the spirals). If I really had to go Forceless, Spell Pierce is probably what'll hurt the least. It's helpful in the first and third phase, but it doesn't counter Ethersworn, so you should be even more prepared than usual to face hate-cards that you would usually try to force.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Larzdk View Post
    There is no great replacement, as force really helps in all phases of the gameplan (setting up, drawing out the game to get more islands, protecting the spirals). If I really had to go Forceless, Spell Pierce is probably what'll hurt the least. It's helpful in the first and third phase, but it doesn't counter Ethersworn, so you should be even more prepared than usual to face hate-cards that you would usually try to force.
    Yeah I realize nothing really replaces Force but Spell Pierce could probably do the job initially, at least. Canonists have never really been a problem for me, they just slow me down a little bit if they hit the field.

Probaly best to simply try out a couple configurations.
    First thing I would try is going up to 3 pact of negations main and 1 snap.
    Snap also works well with cloud of faeries (if you play a couple of them instead of candle).

Sep 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by esthoril View Post
    How did you lose to Belcher? I can see us losing game 1 if we don't know what we are facing + they won the dieroll + they have a turn 1 kill + we don't have a force.. but apart from that? And even then we should still win game 2 and 3 easily.
    Kept a hand with 3 cantrips, 2 flusters and 2 forces. Feared the mulligan and hoped for one land while he was on the play. Indeed I was able to disrupt him twice, but found in 7 turns no land. I know it was a high risk, but I feared a bad mulligan.
    Maybe I will buy another intuition for my SB, which will replace the envelop.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Probaly best to simply try out a couple configurations.
    First thing I would try is going up to 3 pact of negations main and 1 snap.
    Snap also works well with cloud of faeries (if you play a couple of them instead of candle).
    Well I was going to run Candels instead of Cloud of Faeries since Candels on MTGO are only $10. I'd at least run 3 but I'd probably get a set for sure. Still, Pacts and Spell Pierces sound like the way to go initially. What's the general thought on Daze? I'm sure it's not great since you don't exactly want to be bouncing your few lands you've got to work with but might not be too bad, or would just a simple Counterspell or two be better at that point?

Well I was going to run Candels instead of Cloud of Faeries since Candels on MTGO are only $10. I'd at least run 3 but I'd probably get a set for sure. Still, Pacts and Spell Pierces sound like the way to go initially. What's the general thought on Daze? I'm sure it's not great since you don't exactly want to be bouncing your few lands you've got to work with but might not be too bad, or would just a simple Counterspell or two be better at that point?
    Daze is beyond awful. It completly works against our gameplan. We want to make landdrops, not the opposite :)
    Spell pierce, pact, regular counterspell, remand should work ok. Even playing goblin lackey in your high tide list would be better than daze as it at least doesn't work against you.

Dec 2011
    USA

Please don't run Daze in High Tide, that is all. ^.^ Forgive me if that comes off as harsh.

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Daze is beyond awful. It completly works against our gameplan. We want to make landdrops, not the opposite :)
    Spell pierce, pact, regular counterspell, remand should work ok. Even playing goblin lackey in your high tide list would be better than daze as it at least doesn't work against you.
    Lol, yeah, that's what I figured, had to ask the people who play it a little more often than I do though :)

I'll play around with it a bit as I work on it I've already got most of the library manips, the Scrolls, fetches, and Turnabouts, but still need the Candels, Time Spirals, and Flusterstorms (which I'll probably just by the commander decks and sell off all the extra cards to get some more of the other stuff I'd need) so it's getting there but needs a bit of work still. It'll be cool once it's done though since I'll be able to test around with Candels and without and be able to tell how it really affects the deck and how I play it.

And not at all, Feline, I figured it wasn't that great but just had to ask :p

Dec 2011
    USA

Understood, technically asking is just that, asking, and it is important to question everything as a base.

Thread Information