Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Re: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Quote Originally Posted by Pastorofmuppets View Post
    I want to see someone run a single Emrakul in their sideboard to blindside blue decks with an uncounterable wincon.
    I actually test Pearl Lake Ancient in my solidarity board against Miracles
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    I actually test Pearl Lake Ancient in my solidarity board against Miracles
    Step 1: Port a tide list to Vintage
    Step 2: Splash for Fastbond and Exploration
    Step 3: Pearl Lake Ancient

Step 4 is probably lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Thats... actually not a bad idea.

ಠ_ಠ
    Jul 2009
    NJ

Quote Originally Posted by iGrok View Post
    Thats... actually not a bad idea.
    Good luck getting to 3 lands and comboing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... It feels like a bummer to spend so much time not talking about the game and more time arguing over whether Dega or Mardu is the better name for a three color deck you'll never see in Legacy.

Good luck getting to 3 lands and comboing out.
    was responding to the guys saying pearl Lake ancient in the board for the miracles match up.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

You have to ship back the turn after casting him. I don't see what problem he solves?

Sep 2004
    Albany

I want to see someone run a single Emrakul in their sideboard to blindside blue decks with an uncounterable wincon.
    This also solves no problems. If you can hit 15 mana winning is trivial. Adding a card that sucks pre spiral and can't be tutored for seems awful.

EDIT: Also you can't really use pact if you plan on taking more turns.....

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    You have to ship back the turn after casting him. I don't see what problem he solves?
    Miracles has limited removal. You cast ancient, they can't counter it. So they have to swords or terminus. If they do, pick up 3 islands, wait a bit, and do it again. Since you don't have to use your counters on protecting your wincon, you can spend them on stopping entreat/jace.
    Yeah, it's incredibly grindy, but you're presenting a clock that they can't interact with, however slow that clock may be.

Edit: I don't think we're talking about pearl lake off high tide, just off 7 lands. Emrakul you'd need a tide, so I wouldn't recommend him.

Blub.
    Oct 2010
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by iGrok View Post
    Miracles has limited removal. You cast ancient, they can't counter it. So they have to swords or terminus. If they do, pick up 3 islands, wait a bit, and do it again. Since you don't have to use your counters on protecting your wincon, you can spend them on stopping entreat/jace.
    Yeah, it's incredibly grindy, but you're presenting a clock that they can't interact with, however slow that clock may be.

Edit: I don't think we're talking about pearl lake off high tide, just off 7 lands. Emrakul you'd need a tide, so I wouldn't recommend him.
    This. I only wanted to tell the community that i think Pearl Lake is quite good, as you can cast him of seven lands, and put the opponent on a clock with them not having removal, while you can even try to go off woth him in play and grow him big. in Solidarity you also have reset so you can try to put him into play earlier (i don't advise this).

It is simply an uncounterable alternate win condition with flash and self protection against a deck boarding out removal (only pyroblast comes in)and boarding in 3 fluster 3 pyroblast and 3 clique in addition to counterbalance, fow and pierces.
    Also i as soon as he enters, he isn't that slow. if you cast 1 card, he's a 3 turn clock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjer View Post
    Are you guys fucking serious? Like really?

Oct 2014
    Albany, NY

I ended up going 4-2 then having to drop at the GP (GF was sick).

Wins against:

Burn
    U/R Delver
    Enchantress
    U/R Delver

Losses against:

Jeskai control (went off on combo turn with 3 counter back up and didn't have enough game three)
    Death and taxes. This one was just bad beats, 6 mulls in 3 games, mostly no landers.

While I am definitely not new to Magic, I am new to legacy and have decided on this as my first deck (I play combo anywhere it's reasonable, so hopefully this deck won't be too crazy for me). I have already ordered some of the cards I am 100% convinced I want, and am playtesting proxied games and trying to wrap my head around which exact 75 I ultimately want.

To that end, I have some questions that are hopefully not too noobish.

1: The primer, while great, is approaching a year since its last edit. Thus, I don't completely trust it. The store near me that holds Legacy tournaments seems to be primarily three decks if I can trust the top-8 lists: UR Delver, Lands, and Omni-Tell (in the last six tournaments, each of these had 4 appearances, 4 other decks had 2 appearances). If the primer is to believed, none of these are horrendous matchups, and Lands is borderline easy. Is this still an accurate statement? These three decks have 4x as many top-8 appearances than most other decks at this store. Is this a meta that you'd feel comfortable with High Tide in?

2: Is a single Candelabra worth it? Not sure how kosher budget discussions are here (I didn't see a rule against it), but I think I can justify ONE right now. With my proxy testing, a single one never actually felt that good. Is it only good because of how ridiculous it gets with two in play?

Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by negativeview View Post
    While I am definitely not new to Magic, I am new to legacy and have decided on this as my first deck (I play combo anywhere it's reasonable, so hopefully this deck won't be too crazy for me). I have already ordered some of the cards I am 100% convinced I want, and am playtesting proxied games and trying to wrap my head around which exact 75 I ultimately want.

To that end, I have some questions that are hopefully not too noobish.

1: The primer, while great, is approaching a year since its last edit. Thus, I don't completely trust it. The store near me that holds Legacy tournaments seems to be primarily three decks if I can trust the top-8 lists: UR Delver, Lands, and Omni-Tell (in the last six tournaments, each of these had 4 appearances, 4 other decks had 2 appearances). If the primer is to believed, none of these are horrendous matchups, and Lands is borderline easy. Is this still an accurate statement? These three decks have 4x as many top-8 appearances than most other decks at this store. Is this a meta that you'd feel comfortable with High Tide in?

2: Is a single Candelabra worth it? Not sure how kosher budget discussions are here (I didn't see a rule against it), but I think I can justify ONE right now. With my proxy testing, a single one never actually felt that good. Is it only good because of how ridiculous it gets with two in play?
    1. It really depends on how you build your deck. You can customize high tide for whatever meta you happen to be playing in. I can't say for sure if High Tide is the best option, but it's certainly still playable. Miracles is the only matchup I see as a disaster right now. Also be aware that when you first pick up this deck there will be a break in period where you will lose a lot of games in stupid ways. Embrace it.

2. One candle is better than zero, yes. You also might get in a funny spot where your opponent will board in Needle game two to name Candle....shutting off exactly one card in your deck.

Played my second match ever vs a human being and my first Legacy tournament ever today. Match one was on camera. I was both nervous and inexperienced and predictably did pretty poorly. But I felt like I learned a lot about the format overall. Oh well.

The match on camera was vs a Leyline + Opalescence deck that I'm not sure of the name of. I won a match vs Death and Taxes. One of those games was with a Thalia on board with a Sword of Fire and Ice on it. That was rough.

Might as well take my High Tide cards with me this weekend in case I feel like slinging mono Islands on Sunday for no good reason. Is there a 2 candelabra/no counterbalance list somebody would recommend that I could blindly audible into? I should have all the other cards.

Dec 2011
    USA

Went to SCGATL With traditional Spiral Tide this time around, figure I might as well go back to normal Tide -vs- Reset Tide since the camera time will be much less often next year overall.

Went 5-3 then last round Intentional Draw for top 64 / 50 bucks / 2 points -vs- 1.

2 of my 3 losses were to Delver strategies, 1 was 1st round to ANT, they had the fast start, went off turn 2 both games, and had disruption to set themselves up. Sometimes in a format like Legacy, ya just lose to stuff that's faster than you and that's that.

Next stop Portland, then Seattle! After that I will continue with Tide, but I might mess around with reset tide again once the events become 5k's on Sunday.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Hi, I've bumped into a "one mana short" situation while trying to combo off before getting killed. With only a Wish at hand after a pitched FOW. Which got me thinking. If that had been a Dig Through Time and not Meditate in my SB, I would have pulled the combo off... any potential drawbacks that you see here? (Spiral Tide) Thanks:)

Dec 2011
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
    Hi, I've bumped into a "one mana short" situation while trying to combo off before getting killed. With only a Wish at hand after a pitched FOW. Which got me thinking. If that had been a Dig Through Time and not Meditate in my SB, I would have pulled the combo off... any potential drawbacks that you see here? (Spiral Tide) Thanks:)

That is important actually, when you can't tutor for intuition for spiral because of all the mana costs, that means you have to do cheaper cast stuff, meditate costs 3, but dig with delve costs 2. I guess I just never had that come up when I was running it.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    That is important actually, when you can't tutor for intuition for spiral because of all the mana costs, that means you have to do cheaper cast stuff, meditate costs 3, but dig with delve costs 2. I guess I just never had that come up when I was running it.
    Yes. The other thing is, it lets you see seven deep, not four deep like meditation. Seems like good stuff to me. Worked well for me at today's legacy event too. Cheers

Oct 2014
    Albany, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kova View Post
    Yes. The other thing is, it lets you see seven deep, not four deep like meditation. Seems like good stuff to me. Worked well for me at today's legacy event too. Cheers
    That's SO situational though.

1 mana short, Plus 5 cards in yard, etc. etc.

Not saying it shouldn't have a one of in board, just that it's a very small percentage of relevance.

Thread Information