Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1357

Thread: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Re: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    With everything else going nuts, I was waiting for this to happen:
    http://www.mtgstocks.com/cards/11803
    Candelabra of Tawnos, the next card a victim to the price spiking.
    Better not, I need 3 more

Better get your resets while supply lasts ;)

Hi,

I may have missed the card in the previous pages of the thread, and if so please direct me to the relevant posts :)

I'm thinking of playing 3 Pieces of the Puzzle in the deck. Instead of Sensei's Divining Top, for example.

The reasoning is as follows: Top is somewhat slow, and PotPuzzle can do three (possibly more) things: find the missing combo pieces in turn three, or can dig 5 cards deep in the combo turn (much like top does for three), or can help escape an empty hand lock. It is comparable to Meditate, where it is slower (sorcery), but does not skip a turn.

Is this reasoning sound, or am I missing something that makes the card a poor choice for this deck?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Better get your resets while supply lasts ;)
    I could build solidarity but that's not my type of deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slactinizer View Post
    Hi,

I may have missed the card in the previous pages of the thread, and if so please direct me to the relevant posts :)

I'm thinking of playing 3 Pieces of the Puzzle in the deck. Instead of Sensei's Divining Top, for example.

The reasoning is as follows: Top is somewhat slow, and PotPuzzle can do three (possibly more) things: find the missing combo pieces in turn three, or can dig 5 cards deep in the combo turn (much like top does for three), or can help escape an empty hand lock. It is comparable to Meditate, where it is slower (sorcery), but does not skip a turn.

Is this reasoning sound, or am I missing something that makes the card a poor choice for this deck?

Thanks,
    I don't like it over meditate but some do, I don't like sdt in high tide.

Sure it combos well with candle and capsize but it requires more mana and time to setup.

Re: [Primer/Deck] High Tide, version, Spiral Tide

Is the deck playable on MTGO or is the clock too much of an issue?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by calaw00 View Post

Play fast hope you don't have a slow opponent

Quote Originally Posted by calaw00 View Post

Time is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Time is not a problem.
    If you have a opponent that knows your plan they will play slowly enough to where you go to time.

Nov 2013
    charlottesville, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    If you have a opponent that knows your plan they will play slowly enough to where you go to time.
    It doesn't work that way on Magic Online (mtgo). Clock is not an issue on mtgo.

[Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 19, High Tide with Feline Longmore

When the tide rolls in, the combo players come out! This week we're talking about High Tide, a combo deck from Legacy's storied past. Feline Longmore joins to share her insight and experience with the deck.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpS...ature=youtu.be
    Podcast: http://shoutengine.com/LegacysAllure...eline-lo-21936

Also on iTunes!

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Svyelunite View Post
    [Video/Podcast] Legacy's Allure - Ep. 19, High Tide with Feline Longmore

When the tide rolls in, the combo players come out! This week we're talking about High Tide, a combo deck from Legacy's storied past. Feline Longmore joins to share her insight and experience with the deck.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpS...ature=youtu.be
    Podcast: http://shoutengine.com/LegacysAllure...eline-lo-21936

Also on iTunes!
    Solidarity story. Eighth Ed. draft between old NoVa crew. Matt Elgin has speedy White Weenie. Roopy has multiple Nausea in SB. Goes to sweep Matt's board vs lethal attack and is blown out by Solidarity. Gearhart claimed while watching sideboarding that if he pulled that off, he'd name his deck after the card. So it is written, so it shall be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Howdy all :)

How's the deck doing now? I want to ask specifically if anyone is still using a red splash (past in flames)? May I ask about some opinions? Thanks in advance :)

Jun 2016
    Chicago

I figured this thread died a bit with the Miracles takeover, but I've been having fun with the deck, and I wanted to post my list with a few questions:

Instant:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 High Tide
    3 Cunning Wish
    3 Turnabout
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Meditate
    1 Intuition
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Swan Song

Sorcery:
    4 Merchant Scroll
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Time Spiral
    1 Pieces of the Puzzle

Land:
    12 Island
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta

Sideboard:
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Counterspell
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Meditate
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Ravenous Trap
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swan Song
    1 Turnabout
    2 Wipe Away

My first question concerns the use of Meditate: beyond on combo turns when we are using Meditate to extend the combo, does Meditate have important uses to be aware of? I've considered using it EOT against slower decks in order to set up the combo in two turns, but I've always been hesitant to do it.

Secondly, without a USZ in the mainboard, how are we to protect ourselves from Surgical on Cunning Wish? The sideboard plan of removing 1x High Tide and the Intuition to protect against Surgical is necessary, but a Surgical on Cunning wish seems much more back-breaking to me. Do we just hope we have counter-magic/play Wish in response to discard if we can?

Lastly, I've been a bit perplexed about sideboarding. In general, how many cards are we bringing out, such that we have main deck answers to a deck while preserving the Wish package? Additionally, I'm having a difficult time deciding what to remove in place of sideboard cards. I would imagine it's not correct to remove cantrips, so are we mostly swapping out counter-magic? Thanks!

With regard to post-board, you should always board out one High Tide and board in Blue Sun's Zenith. This allows you to win through Surgical effects. Cunning Wish is exiled on resolution anyway, so they'd have to either counter or discard it to be able to use Surgical And with Blue Sun in your deck, you usually don't care too much if they Extract Cunning Wish.

Meditate is useable in a pinch against slow decks, yes. End of the opponent's turn is usually best. Alternately, if you're just going to die to Storm or something there's nothing to lose by digging for a FoW or Flusterstorm.

Typically you're not boarding in more than two-three cards, with one being the aforementioned High Tide for Blue Sun. I highly recommend playing Rebuild in addition to Hurkyll's Recall; leave Rebuild in the board so that you can Cunning Wish for it versus Chalice on two. Boarding out, Meditate is usually first on the chopping block, followed by Ponder. I wouldn't cut FoW in this deck personally.

Jun 2016
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by crowe_1 View Post
    With regard to post-board, you should always board out one High Tide and board in Blue Sun's Zenith. This allows you to win through Surgical effects. Cunning Wish is exiled on resolution anyway, so they'd have to either counter or discard it to be able to use Surgical And with Blue Sun in your deck, you usually don't care too much if they Extract Cunning Wish.

Meditate is useable in a pinch against slow decks, yes. End of the opponent's turn is usually best. Alternately, if you're just going to die to Storm or something there's nothing to lose by digging for a FoW or Flusterstorm.

Typically you're not boarding in more than two-three cards, with one being the aforementioned High Tide for Blue Sun. I highly recommend playing Rebuild in addition to Hurkyll's Recall; leave Rebuild in the board so that you can Cunning Wish for it versus Chalice on two. Boarding out, Meditate is usually first on the chopping block, followed by Ponder. I wouldn't cut FoW in this deck personally.
    Thanks for the tips; that makes sense about always bringing in UBZ from the board. My sideboard is a bit in flux, and I've been considering cutting a counter-spell for something like Rebuild.

Definitely get rid of that counterspell in the SB for rebuild. Also consider adding 2-3 Sensei's Divining Tops in place of 1 pieces of the puzzle and spell pierce, then maybe 1 preordain. You could also maybe drop 1 meditate for a USZ in the mainboard g1.

The SDT are really amazing though. It allows you to see 10 cards after each Time Spiral and they also hide your high tide/time spiral from discard as well as allowing you an easy storm kill via Brain Freeze: 2 tops, and just keep casting and drawing them on top of the library.

G2-3 you can ditch that intuition for a wipe away/snap against the relevant decks.

Jun 2016
    Chicago

I know that Miracles is a difficult matchup, but, sideboard hate aside, I have two questions about how to approach it:

1. Countering: which cards are priorities for us to counter? Top? Balance? Cantrips? Save our counters for combo-ing early with protection?

2. Pacing: when should we be looking to combo and with how much protection? My experiences playing against Miracles have led me to believe that playing the long-game is a big mistake, as it allows the Miracles player more time to establish the Top/Balance lock while finding more counters. Should we be trying to combo-off around turn four or five, or should we be sculpting our hands a bit longer?

I know these questions often vary based on circumstance; I'm just looking for general strategies for approaching the matchup. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by QuranJames View Post
    I know that Miracles is a difficult matchup, but, sideboard hate aside, I have two questions about how to approach it:

1. Countering: which cards are priorities for us to counter? Top? Balance? Cantrips? Save our counters for combo-ing early with protection?

2. Pacing: when should we be looking to combo and with how much protection? My experiences playing against Miracles have led me to believe that playing the long-game is a big mistake, as it allows the Miracles player more time to establish the Top/Balance lock while finding more counters. Should we be trying to combo-off around turn four or five, or should we be sculpting our hands a bit longer?

I know these questions often vary based on circumstance; I'm just looking for general strategies for approaching the matchup. Thanks!
    1. I'd save it entirely for CB and protection when going off.
    2. I'd combo off as soon as you can.

Try to end of turn turnabout their lands if you can. You definitely don't want to give them access to extra blue mana. Worst case scenario, they spend a counterspell out of their hand on it.

Jun 2016
    Chicago

Hey all,

Just 5-0'd a Legacy Competitive League last night, and I wanted to share the list I've been working on in case any one is interested.

Sorcery:
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    4 Merchant Scroll
    1 Pieces of the Puzzle
    4 Ponder
    3 Preordain
    4 Time Spiral

Instant:
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Cunning Wish
    2 Flusterstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 High Tide
    1 Intuition
    1 Meditate
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Swan Song
    3 Turnabout

Land:
    3 Flooded Strand
    12 Island
    3 Polluted Delta

Sideboard:
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Meditate
    1 Turnabout
    1 Blue Sun's Zenith
    1 Brain Freeze
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Rebuild
    1 Snap
    1 Surgical Extraction
    4 Thing in the Ice
    1 Wipe Away

A few comments:

1. The Rebuild in the sideboard should probably be a Hurkyl's Recall. I know the benefits of Rebuild at 3cmc with cycling, but, almost every time I want the bounce artifact effect, 2cmc would have been better suited for the situation. In particular, Rebuild is often too expensive in matches against Death & Taxes where I want to bounce Canonists, Vials, Equipment, etc., especially when there is a Thalia in play.

2. The 1-1 split between Pieces of the Puzzle and Meditate has been ideal. Having a single Meditate is crucial in conjunction with Merchant Scroll, but it's rarely a card I want to cast pre-combo. Pieces is great pre- and during combo (and I think often the better card), but having the ability to tutor up a Meditate with Merchant scroll keeps 1 in my mainboard.

3. So far, I've been happy with the 1-1 Spell Pierce/Swan Song split. Obviously, Swan Song is great against Counterbalance and Sneak Attack, and Miracles and Sneak and Show, I think, are two of our more difficult matchups.

4. The Gitaxian Probes have been ALL STARS! Two seems like a good number, and I usually want to see at least one every game. Beyond checking if its safe to go off, I've found them to be particularly helpful against decks like Burn and Grixis Delver that run burn spells in order to see if we need to go for a USZ kill or if it's safe to Brain Freeze and let them have an untap. Also, great way to trigger Thing in the Ice.

5. Last point, Thing in the Ice. Great, great, great, great. The praise from other posts in this thread is not unwarranted. I bring them in in most matchups, although usually not combo. TiTi has four main uses in my experience: 1. An additional win condition 2. Soaking up damage from attackers to dig for combo 3. Bouncing troublesome creatures (Thalia, Canonist, etc.) in order to combo 4. Establishing a major board presence mid-combo in case you fizzle. It's a much better feeling to fizzle mid-combo with 3x flipped Things on the board than it is to fizzle without them!

Jan 2017
    Your end step

Congratulations on your successful finish!

I recently started to play and innovate with Spiral Tide, so I'm glad to see a player doing well with the deck in what most people consider an unfavorable metagame. There are several cards I've been testing, but I've never tried Thing in the Ice. Maybe you're on to something there.

I'm curious how often you tutor for Meditate. I've been cutting it because casting Meditate during the combo turn can still result in a fizzle if you don't draw anything relevant. Pieces of the Puzzle does seem like the stronger card almost always.

Personally, I've included single copies of both Devastation Tide and Retraced Image along with two Personal Tutor. I enjoy Retraced Image because it can accelerate your ability to combo or facilitate the combo turn itself by thinning your deck before casting Time Spiral. Devastation Tide has a similar effect as Thing in the Ice when it flips, but I feel like it requires less setup. I run three Sensei's Divining Top which allow me to play with the Miracle ability of Devastation Tide and when exactly I draw the cards I search for with Personal Tutor.
    "I'd like to respond."

Thread Information