Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

Sep 2007
    Germany

Re: [Primer/Deck] High Tide

I think we will see a lot of dredge at the GP... look at the last Trials.
    Good luck to all of you, I will be there too ;)

Mar 2013
    Tampa, FL

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    A few lists have done a palincron, as recent even as the gen con list that made top 32 out of 350 or so back in august

-edit April 7- Schedule's out for rest of year for Open series http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/scgop/schedule
    Plan on pushing High Tide unless something drastic changes at the following:
    Seattle Wa in 2 weeks, Apr-21st
    Seattle Wa Oct-20th
    Los Angeles Nov-3rd
    San Francisco/Oakland Dec-8th
    Las Vegas - Dec-13-14-15 (Invitational)

If you're at any I'll see you there
    Little late here but thanks for the heads up on that, Feline, didn't notice they released the rest of the dates. Sad there's nothing more really in Florida (besides the GP but that's standard...) but I might be moving out towards San Fran later in the year so I'll probably wind up going to that one.

In other news, my local meta seems to have shifted from Belcher-heavy to RUG and Esper-heavy. Not too sure how I'm feeling with these MU's yet in comparison but hopefully the fairly recent changes I've made to my build will make it a bit easier.
    Main deck: Maverick
    Secondary decks: High Tide // Affinity
    MTGO decks: Affinity

Dec 2011
    USA

If you are here in Central Cali for later this year, there's one in Sacramento/Frisco in like November which I will be going to. As far as today though, it's GP Strat! So Good luck out there in France!!! All 1,365 of you ^.^ http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...pstr13/welcome
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Just got back from Strasbourg. Had a awesome weekend, but I'll probably switch deck for a while.
    I've just lost against sneak show one time too many..
    End of last year, belgian legacy cup, semi finals lose against sneak show.
    GPT Strasbroug in Eindhoven, semi finals lose against sneak show.
    This friday in Strasbourg, play one last chance trial, start 4-0, lose finals against sneak show.
    GP itself, start 2-0, lose round 3 against sneak show, lose round 4 against sneak show.

The deck is awesome against everything else. Most other decks you easily beat.
    Against a half decent sneak show player, you have little chance. And it's simply too much present in my meta.
    So any suggestions what to play at Bazaar of Moxen now?

I decided in the end to play 1 surgical 2 grafdiggers cage as GYhate.
    The cage proved to be very nice :) In the last chance trial, I faced comboelves in round 4.
    I win game 1. Game 2, he starts with bayou therapy, naming brainstorm. I then go island, cage.
    He plays another therapy and passes again. His GY now has 2 therapies which he can't flashback,
    his hand contained 3 green zenith which he couldn't cast :) Guess cage is decent against elves

Sep 2007
    Germany

I'll stay at my high tide. The deck performed during the first two rounds at the GP very good. Won against RUG and TinFins.
    Next round I lost unfortunately against BUG and then I faced a fucking fishhead with two games he found infinite cursecatchers, lords... I hate that deck...

Round 5 I conceded to a good friend of mine during the 5. extra turn of game one, who was willing to play every round of the day. But here the h. recall was sooo amazing! If I find some time I will write a short report, but at the moment I have a lack of free time :(

Dec 2009
    hessen, germany

PLayed Tide at the GP too.

Lost 3 times to Sneak and Show (Trials, Main event), it´s awful.

Lost a match to ur burn in the sudden death extra turns...it is not nice if you can´t FOW and fetch...

And lost an epic game against ur painter with counter balance and top....tapped him out with turnabout, he just revealed his only wurmcoil engine to counter my spiral...without top or brainstorm...random lucker :D

Dec 2011
    USA

Thank you all for representing High Tide at the GP, I'll try to give another push with the deck this weekend in a few days in Seattle at the next Open, the deck I expect to run into the most is Stoneblade, possibly followed by BUG variants.

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Thank you all for representing High Tide at the GP, I'll try to give another push with the deck this weekend in a few days in Seattle at the next Open, the deck I expect to run into the most is Stoneblade, possibly followed by BUG variants.
    = Pierce and/or Envelop 3x SB? Also show and tell seems really nasty.

Dec 2011
    USA

I run 3 main deck flusterstorms & I've even toyed with having the 4th in the maindeck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave View Post
    = Pierce and/or Envelop 3x SB? Also show and tell seems really nasty.
    Just a random thought - I know the SB is already stretched thin, but we could maybe run like 2 Ensnaring Bridge sb. Sneak/Show have very few options to remove it once it's on the board, and will never be attacking again. They run like 0-2 bounce SB, and I doubt they will see it coming in G2. The problem comes with resolving a 3 mana thing vs them.

The problem fighting all show and tell decks (especially with a turn4 deck) is that the hate you want against emrakul is not the same you want versus neither omniscience or griselbrand. Not allowing them to resolve SnT (or Dream halls/sneak attack/whatever) is the best plan imo... Dilluting your deck with ensnaring bridge, pithing needle, jace tms, gilded drake, envelop or humility is not the way to go. about the only cards I can think of in legacy that is _good_ against them is meddling mage, v.clique and a slew of discard but obviously we can't run those. Spell pierce might be the best card, but outside of the Sneak and show/counterbalance matchups I prefer flusterstorm in the list.

Flusterstorm doesn't stop sneak attack, but it can counter their cantrips and show and tell. It's ugly but I think this is our best chance... disrupt them as much as you can and cross your fingers to untap for turn3-4 kill. As I posted earlier Turnabout their lands in upkeep helps too (but is slow). Mystic Remora is a plan aswell if you run enough free/cheap counterspells (playing misdirections as extra fow to fight their fow if the meta requires it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    The problem fighting all show and tell decks (especially with a turn4 deck) is that the hate you want against emrakul is not the same you want versus neither omniscience or griselbrand. Not allowing them to resolve SnT (or Dream halls/sneak attack/whatever) is the best plan imo... Dilluting your deck with ensnaring bridge, pithing needle, jace tms, gilded drake, envelop or humility is not the way to go. about the only cards I can think of in legacy that is _good_ against them is meddling mage, v.clique and a slew of discard but obviously we can't run those. Spell pierce might be the best card, but outside of the Sneak and show/counterbalance matchups I prefer flusterstorm in the list.
    When I faced SneakShow again in round 4,
    game 1 he tries to go for it too soon, I win the counterwar thanks to flusterstorm leaving him outtapped.
    I combo out, only to have him draw triple force with triple blue with my first time spiral, which was enough to stop me.
    game 2 he tries to go off too soon again, losing the counterwar again while being outtapped. This time I can finish it.
    game 3 I decided I needed another strategy to beat him on the draw so I sided in 2 defense grid. If he tries show&tell, you let it resolve, drop defense grid, he drops emrakul or griselbrand and you win in your turn as he never has 3+ mana open after casting his show&tell. If they go show&tell, you still lose if they have sneak attack + emrakul of course. Which he topdecked the turn he went for it :(
    So maybe a bit unlucky this round, but in the end, he did play too greedy which allowed me to combo out in game 1 and 2. You don't have that luxury against a better player.

I played 3 fluster main with the 4th + 1 spell pierce in side.

Yah, I was probably a bit too far out of the box with the Bridge - it does solve Grisel too though, besides the fact that it allows them to dig 14 cards for a bounce-spell - I'm just trying to brainstorm a bit here, since our traditional hate doesn't seem to cut it anymore. If we go as far as to say: SnT will likely always resolve against us, maybe we can exploit it? (Which is what led me to Bridge, since they have a rough time removing it) - If we want to go this route with Omniscience we need a Riftwing/Spine of Ish Sah effect or something..

Very short report about GP Strasbourg where I did a miserable 4-3 with 3 byes...

Round 4 : Affinity.

It is a strange version with Ancient Tomb for Chalice turn 1. Luckly I had Force in game 1.

Game 2, I cannot find Tide but Hurky's buy me time. I try to combo with 6 lands, 2 Turnabout and 1 Time Spiral to meet Mind Break Trap... I should have played around this one.

Game 3, I won thanks to Hurkyl's recall. He would have been too fast without the recall.

I feel quite good at 4/0...

Round 5 : RUG Delver

I win game 1 without too much problem but my opponent let me do the entire combo which took quite some time.

I loose game 2 on double Pierce + Force on his side. I should have try to turnabout him instead of going off but I would have been in the range of bolt...

Very few minutes are left for game 3 and we both try to play fast... I shuffle maybe not enough and draw a hand with no land, them 1 land, then 1 land... I should have played the time at that point... He kills me during the additional turns...

Round 6 : Ad Nauseam against the nicest opponent of my day!

I win game one easily by gathering Fow and Flusterstorm and letting the combo pieces flow in my hand.

I loose game 2. Carpet of Flowers turn 1 was very strong.

Game 3, He tries to combo with a lot of mana on the board. I have just too much counters for him and he has no hand when I counter his infernal tutor. On my turn, ponder reveals Cunning Wish + Time Spiral, I will win next turn... He top deck Past in Flames with a lot of mana in play (I counter with PoN but he has enough mana to flashback)... I am really hurt after that top deck

Round 7 : Miracle...

We all know what happens against Miracle...

I don't think I missplayed during the event but lady luck was not on my side I guess. I am going to try to find a deck with which I can interact more with my opponent because I am tired of loosing against less skilled opponents (no offense, but they were).
    Last edited by TiMeWaLk; 04-18-2013 at 03:40 AM.

New card spoiled that may be useful in High Tide:
    Uncovered Clues - 2U - Sorcery
    Look at the top four cards of your library. You may reveal up to two instant and/or sorcery cards from among them and put the revealed cards into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.

Seems pretty good to me.

Seems nice though according to a regular build, the deck is 21 non-instant/sorcery cards, this means that, in average, approx. 2 out of 3 cards will be good cards to be drawn out of this new sorcery, which means 2.666... cards out of 4. What will happen is that you will draw 2-3 cards for 3 mana, at sorcery speed. Hence, it looks like a bit inferior to meditate to me. Because, the latter, can be fetched with Scroll and Wish, and also can respond to a given hym to tourach to find action (for instance). For the non-combo step both seem similar (a part from that last point) because against a control deck you can actually tap for three in your turn comfortably, and not giving the turn is far better than the instant speed (I mean against blue based control). Against aggro is more or less the same, while not giving a turn is more important here, we also need to keep in mind that leaving mana open to respond to threats is as important, for instance to fluster a Zenith or Hymn/thoughtseize, or bounce a bear.

Nevertheless they are quite similar in the combo step, while losing the instant speed make the deck more rigid, and we can pay this from time to time.

Testing will tell, but by the time I stay with Meditate.

Greetings,

Iñaki.-
    Spike-Johnny

Sep 2007
    Germany

Here is my short report of the GP:
    The list I played was:
    12 islands, 6 Fetchs, 4 TS, 4HT, 4 Turnabout, 12 Cantrips, 3 Fluster, 4 Force, 1 Pact, 2 Meditate, 4 Scroll, 1 Intuition, 3 Wish

SB: Surg extr, H. Recall, Intuition, BF, Zenith, 2 Cage, 2 Wipe A., 2 Snap, 1 Fluster, 1 Echoing T, 1 Pact, 1 Rav Trap

Round 1: vs URDelver
    G 1: I am on the play, can drop my first island and pass the turn. He plays a lavamancer and three turns later he is dead thanks to Freeze.
    G2: He starts much better. Drops an early delver but can’t find an instant. When he found it with brainstorm I had to eat a miracle burnspell and then it was time to go off. I was able to spiral while being at 3 life. Midcombo he tried to bolt me and to fireblast me, but force and fluster said gg.
    2-0 games

Round2: vs TinFins
    G1: My chinese opponent thoughtseized away 2 cards, but I was able to extract his griselbrand and stop him to find more cards. At this point I saw the silence in his hand, but he had no mana to cast it later ;) *lucky* There was a long time when we both where in the draw-go mode. Cantrips helped me a lot and after I found a meditate I was able to go off and win via zenith, knowing that Mr Spaghetti is in his library.
    G2: First turn kill. There was no chance for me. He disrupted my Force and get off.
    G3: I was able to cast two forced to prevent his entombs. Then I found my combopieces and TS for the win again.
    4-1 games

Round3: vs BUG Control
    G1: Very solid playing french player. after some attacks of his DRS and one agent who ony found a decay with his CIP I was able to go off at 12 life. One thoughseize of him was simply not enough.
    G2: The first thoughtseize was no problem, but the 2 hymns followed by jace where devastating...
    G3: Again two thoughtseizes, but I managed to gather the combopieces. But then I made a fatal mistake. The resolved spellbomb lead me to the play that I went directly from tide to spiral, instead of playing the turnabout which was in my hand together with a flusterstorm. I feared the removal of a lot of important cards and lost the game instead... damn thing, that will never ever happen again!
    5-3 games

Round4: vs Merfolk
    G1 + 2: He just draw nuts. Infinite cursecatchers followed by fucking lords and mutavaults with spellpierces and standstills... nightmare game. To loose a game is no problem, but I hate it to loose against very dislikable people... happy to see that guy never again ;)
    5-5 games

Round 5: vs Affinity
    G1: Unbelievable! 1375 players and I have to face a well known face from out little meta ;) I don+t know what he is playing, but he do. So he mulls game one to a quick hand, but force stops plating and thats enough time for the win ;)
    G2: I am sitting on 2 lands. Playing 6 cantrips had no effect...bad luck.
    G3: A great match with not enough time. My H. Recall bounced his board during the extra turns. In the last extraturn I was able to go off, knowing that all wishes where gone... so chance to win :( Beside the fact that day 2 was out of reach and I wanted to go to the artists, I lost game 3 somehow ;)
    6-6/7 games

So sum up:
    Flusterstorm was amazing during nearly every game.
    Single disruption like TSZ or hymn are no problem, but if there are multiple of them it is a hard game.
    Merfolk is a nearly unwinnable matchup. if they have the right starting 7.
    Thanks to Mr Poole my manabase and playmat are now AMAZING!!!
    Maybe a third meditate will be great.
    It will be great if I can drop a single critter or a card that can win a game by its own during game two....
    last point: The deck is great! I will continue playing it.... and I hope I will not make such an mistake in the future!

I hope my english is good enough, that you can understand most of the points.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph2k View Post
    Here is my short report of the GP:

I hope my english is good enough, that you can understand most of the points.
    It's perfectly readable :) Is it just me, or does it seem like High Tide is in quite a bind at the moment? There are lots of matchups that just doesn't feel _that_ good anymore. (I agree with egosum btw - we should stick with Meditate, the instant speed is way more useful than being able to dig without the OpTimeWalk drawback)

yeah, I know the random BGx decks are more and more popular(T1 thoughtseize, T2 Hymn, T3 lili really hurts), but still I think High Tide is a strong deck to play against them.

High Tide is a control-combo deck. it's hard to play. we don't kill T1 ,unlike tendrils-based storm. sometimes we need to be patient enough and to net enough counter-magic in order to interact with opponent, before we are able to go off.

try to play the control deck, if your opponent plays an aggresive deck. as long as they don't kill us, we are still possible to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larzdk View Post
    It's perfectly readable :) Is it just me, or does it seem like High Tide is in quite a bind at the moment? There are lots of matchups that just doesn't feel _that_ good anymore. (I agree with egosum btw - we should stick with Meditate, the instant speed is way more useful than being able to dig without the OpTimeWalk drawback)
    As for harder matchups (but not necessarily unfavorable)
    - Decks like BUG, RUG and Esper (after side) aren't freerides, but still in our favor. You need to be focussed and play your best though to win these on a regular base, as it often comes down the small details. Play your cantrips well (but that's obviously easier to say than to do :))
    - SneakShow in my personal experience is quite bad. You only have a chance when they are too greedy and try to go for it with too few counters, leaving them outtapped. If they play it slower, building up their mana, you'll be in a rough spot.
    - Counterbalance and plain old Reanimator (not tin fins) are bad matchups, but these decks hardly see play these days.

In the end, I think it's still well positioned, but it's a fact there are less decks that are a bye these days (like goblins or zoo) so you'll have to work harder for your wins :)

Thread Information