Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

There is a Source clan, but sadly, it isn't much more than a name tag.

Since people keep drafting, I would still wait for a bit. Somebody on the Manadrain speculated that next week should be low point, based on past sets, but who knows.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Arianeira View Post
    The MTGO interface is annoying and you have to be really careful not to misclick or not hit F2 for next phase too many times. The chess clock like timer takes a bit getting used to you have to learn to be proficient with the clunky the interface and play fast. But it is really nice to be able to play anytime from home.
    F4 is an efficient time saving tool. It passes priority and by-passes all phases until either one of 3 conditions are met. Being: Either player uses the stack, The upkeep step, and if any creatures are eligible for attacks- this will only check if there are creatures on any players turn. I like to keep all stops on even If i'm retarded and playing belcher. Can't tell you how much I love F4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

I dont think prices will be any lower.

Since I dont play regulary, I hoarded some of the goddies while they were cheap (engineered explosives,bridge from below,ensnaring bridge, onslaught fetches) and sold them now to buy some legacy/vintage staples.
    Fow, led and duals are pretty cheap, and if you put up an ad "human buying XXX" you might get some good deals - I bought playset of cabal therapies for 10 ;)

If anybody wishes to playtest, add me as buddy (my username is dzudzubajac) and pm me when online, I have dredge and ANT ready to go

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Sooo, the beta is being unchained on July 16. The beta client is basically the worst case of sunk cost fallacy you could imagine. It fixes nothing, but adds several new detrimental problems that make playing the game unnecessarily hard and thoroughly unenjoyable. Not only is the program functionally worse than the current client, but the cards also no longer look like actual Magic cards (one of my biggest gripes). Also worth mentioning is the new center-justification of cards (which everyone hates) that makes everything on the board look incredibly tiny, and forces you to play with the client covering your whole screen, if you want any chance to see what's going on (a big reason why it's so unappealing for streaming).

In the end, I'm probably too dumb to sell my collection, and will instead just take a very long break from playing MODO and rely on my blind faith that they will either a) fix these issues b) decide to scrap the beta c) release a whole new client altogether. Le sigh...

What are your plans?

Aug 2009
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    What are your plans?
    Im planning to learn the new client and continue playing. Now is a great time to invest in eternal formats and launch of the new client can affect on some Modern/Standard prices also if people just leave modo and dump their collections. I have heard that previous times when client changed have been good times to invest in cards (much like last winter when we lost online PTQs etc.)

I have 100% confidence that wotc will make the new client work. It won't be a program that will win awards, but it will work.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Quote Originally Posted by yugular View Post
    Im planning to learn the new client and continue playing. Now is a great time to invest in eternal formats and launch of the new client can affect on some Modern/Standard prices also if people just leave modo and dump their collections. I have heard that previous times when client changed have been good times to invest in cards (much like last winter when we lost online PTQs etc.)

I have 100% confidence that wotc will make the new client work. It won't be a program that will win awards, but it will work.
    Same situation for me, I am going to try V4 when the time comes and if its not playable, then I will wait it out until they make V4 playable. Fwiw, a similar situation occurred when they switched from V2 to V3 and V3 was apparently in a much worse shape than V4 during switch time.

Mar 2007

I'm using the V4 client out of habit. Despite its shortcomings, it's definitely usable in its current state, but all the changes they've made in the last few weeks just made the client worse than before. New shitty sounds, the new trade window is utter crap (Why does it automatically switch to the trade window whenever a bot writes something? It's incredibly annoying.) and it became alot slower since the last update.

If they keep up the pace with shitty new updates, it becomes completely unusable when they switch. It's like they make the client bad on purpose to the point where it becomes downright infuriating.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I'm mostly annoyed by the UI, responsiveness and things like msg notifications when I have the chat already opened. Sure it's playable, but this is still software you would go bancrupt with as a software developer, unless you have an addicted userbase.

Mar 2007

I picked this link up from the Manadrain forum where they discuss the shittiness of MODO:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Wiz...iews-E4718.htm

While probably not anything new, it confirms what we always knew/suspected:

- MODO is understaffed and the pay isn't competitive, resulting in shitty programmers working on something way too big for them
    - nepotism and ass-kissing galore
    - incompetent people across the board

Basically, anything out of the R&D team sucks. Hard. So I don't think the chances of MODO becoming good anytime soon are high, even with rumors that they recently started and outsourced the development of V5.

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I picked this link up from the Manadrain forum where they discuss the shittiness of MODO:

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Wiz...iews-E4718.htm

While probably not anything new, it confirms what we always knew/suspected:

- MODO is understaffed and the pay isn't competitive, resulting in shitty programmers working on something way too big for them
    - nepotism and ass-kissing galore
    - incompetent people across the board

Basically, anything out of the R&D team sucks. Hard. So I don't think the chances of MODO becoming good anytime soon are high, even with rumors that they recently started and outsourced the development of V5.
    I'm a patient man, I'll wait this out, hold on to my collection, and wait for V4 to be playable.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Yeah, I'm also gonna wait this one out. Probably play the free M15 sealed, but that's it. There's no real motivation for me to play constructed, since there's no update on what's happening with the MOCS.

I'll return when they've fixed the worst bugs on the beta, and actually made the cards look like Magic cards again. Everytime I look at duals on the beta I just cry ;_;

Mar 2007

Theros boosters have been creeping up in price again the last few days. What's a good point to sell, though? They're currently at ~3 tix each.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Yeah, I'm also gonna wait this one out. Probably play the free M15 sealed, but that's it. There's no real motivation for me to play constructed, since there's no update on what's happening with the MOCS.

I'll return when they've fixed the worst bugs on the beta, and actually made the cards look like Magic cards again. Everytime I look at duals on the beta I just cry ;_;

Those are modern frame duals, so you're going to be crying forever.

You're welcome to pay ~20% more to get these http://i.imgur.com/jo2B7va.jpg which are functionally identical.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post

You're welcome to pay ~20% more to get these http://i.imgur.com/jo2B7va.jpg which are functionally identical.
    What absolutely doesn't make sense is that the VMA duals have the old frame in V3, but the new frame in V4. WTF!?

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Theros boosters have been creeping up in price again the last few days. What's a good point to sell, though? They're currently at ~3 tix each.
    I usually wait until they go over 3.5 (that's if I sell at 3.5), no matter how long it takes.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post

I should have been more specific. I wasn't talking about the modern frame. The biggest issue I have is the weird color fading in the text box of the duals. Contrast it to the normal text box of duals that have the whole "rectangles inside rectangles"-thing going on.

Other than that, the center-justification in the beta also makes cards look like post stamps. Maybe cards in V3 also look like garbage, and I've just gotten used to it, but beta cards definitely look significantly shittier in my eyes.

In other news, Vintage Masters keep plummeting. Time to buy some power soon!

So, how filled is the modo meta filled with burn, belcher, oops all spells, and other budget competitive decks? One pro yesterday who does modo streaming said he'd recommend people stay away from modo for legacy because he said the meta's too filled with spoiler decks like the ones listed above to be relevant for testing. How true is this claim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Mar 2007

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

Burn certainly is part of the meta now.

Glass cannon combo is a problem in 2-mans at best, but if you scout the players by watching replays first and only join queues against people who don't play said decks.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I wouldn't label the decks you listed as "budget decks" and consider them a reason to avoid attending a queue. Well, they certainly are budget because they cost less than most other decks, but this doesn't mean they are underpowered and/or people choose to play them because of budget issues. At least results speak for burn recently, you shouldn't ignore it and if your deck is soft to it, sideboard accordingly.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy

Burn certainly is part of the meta now.

Glass cannon combo is a problem in 2-mans at best, but if you scout the players by watching replays first and only join queues against people who don't play said decks.
    Yeah, I guess burn is legit now, for better or for worse... The meta seems like a reasonable mirror of a competitive meta in real life from the link you provided. My guess is that this pro may have had one or a few bad runs and chalked it up to there being too much burn and glass cannon combo in the meta.

EDIT: @LeoCop90: Yeah Burn's not necessarily a budget deck in the sense that it's cheap and competitive-ish but not really. It's real player in the meta now like Barook said. I don't think I can say the same thing about oops and belcher though. I'm sure there are people who actually like playing belcher and oops all spells and didn't build them because of their cheap price tag, but they are still relatively cheap decks that are kinda competitive but not really because force of will is still in most legacy decks. I'm sure some people would buy into them because they are cheap despite the fact that they are Tier 2 decks at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Thread Information