Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

What "pro" are you talking about?

Burn is definitely a meta consideration in the MODO meta. Sometimes, it just has draws that you can't beat. I run 4 Leylines in my D&T board due to it and other combo decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    What "pro" are you talking about?

Burn is definitely a meta consideration in the MODO meta. Sometimes, it just has draws that you can't beat. I run 4 Leylines in my D&T board due to it and other combo decks.
    Talking about Jeff Hoogland. I guess he's not a pro in the strictest sense since most of his notoriety comes from some strong finishes on the SCG circuit but I'm not sure if he has any big mtg accomplishments besides that. Known in legacy for playing some sort of loam deck usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysandros View Post
    I'm a crusty "old" player who would play nothing but Vintage, Legacy and 93/94 if I could, so I'm probably biased...but I'll never understand the draw to Modern. It's the Communist Soviet Union of MtG formats.
    In regards to Legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimoirePath View Post
    I dont know, I guess I like the anarchistic, outlaw format that allows everything and can thrive with or without the papal blessing.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslayer_90 View Post
    Talking about Jeff Hoogland. I guess he's not a pro in the strictest sense since most of his notoriety comes from some strong finishes on the SCG circuit but I'm not sure if he has any big mtg accomplishments besides that. Known in legacy for playing some sort of loam deck usually.
    Between his constant whining on variance, bashing Burn & Belcher decks as viable options in 4 Round Daily Events, and reluctance to play Brainstorm; I'd say his opinion on Legacy deck selection or performance is spotty at best.

Burn has a place, especially in capped events. It serves the same purpose that Belcher and Storm combo decks hold in similar events: defeat those who are unprepared.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Oct 2012
    Italy

Well , i can agree that it could be a bit frustrating playing against belcher and all spells multiple times in events, because it all comes down to having force of will/other relevant hate immediately. If you have it, you win, if you don't, you lose. Matches are not even skill intensive as long as you at least remotely know how their deck work and when to use force of will.

Regarding burn nothing else to say... is now a relevant force in the metagame and is also a very solid deck... but it just dies to some sideboard cards, so if you are afraid be prepared for the matchup.

Mar 2007

From TMD: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=46552.0

This just in from the eternal clown show that is the Magic Online Live team:

Queues end on 7/25, come back for two weeks in August and then gone forever (until throwback draft).

Sealed Dailies only until 7/25 and then probably gone forever.

Vintage Constructed DE/PE unaffected (as far as we currently know) and the status of 2 man and 8 man queues is currently unknown.

Just another colossal "miscommunication" by the team that is going to force you into the beta in 2 weeks.
    VMA drafts gone soon, which means prices are going to creep up.

Way to be a bunch of dicks, Wizards.

Dec 2009
    Denmark

They wanted the VMA cards to stay "special" (read: expensive) and P9 was getting pretty cheap, so they jammed the brakes. Now Lotus jumped from 150 to 250 overnight and all VMA staples are mostly sold out.

Very bad for the growth of Vintage as a format. The decision only helps the hoarders that want to inflate prices artificially. Sad

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

So, WotC continues to shoot itself in the foot in the sake of short-term profits.

Good riddance Magic Online, I hardly knew you, and will not mourn your self destructive tendency.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    So, WotC continues to shoot itself in the foot in the sake of short-term profits.

Good riddance Magic Online, I hardly knew you, and will not mourn your self destructive tendency.
    And it doesn't even make sense since VMA is a cash cow.

I guess they fear nobody is going to draft M15 while VMA is still around.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Well, if you have the time, grinding VMA's is how I got all of my power. Granted you don't crack too many of them (I opened 5 power in probably 60 or so drafts), but if you play in 4-3-2-2 8 man drafts you can usually end up breaking at least even until you do hit a power. I recommend 4-3-2-2s since the 8-4s are full of competent players, and usually you can outplay someone into getting your 2 packs. The added bonus is that you can open stuff like Force of Will, Jace, all the duals, etc. to start filling out your collection and then just sell off the truly expensive cards. It's an investment, but if the current prices hold or go up you'll likely have gained value.

Anyway, yes it sucks, but it does bring more players into vintage, even if not by as much as originally hoped. I for one have my first non-proxy vintage deck ever and have been having a blast with it. Also have my set of forces, a couple jaces, and all the duals I need for legacy if I ever decide to drop the thousands of dollars needed to get wastelands.

Dec 2011
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Also have my set of forces, a couple jaces, and all the duals I need for legacy if I ever decide to drop the thousands of dollars needed to get wastelands.
    I'm in the same situation. Jesus, Wasteland costs a fortune on MTGO. They have to reprint it ASAP.

Mar 2007

http://community.wizards.com/forum/m...hreads/4110251

And now they're back to the old schedule (kind of, at least).

MTGO management at its finest, gentlemen.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

From TMD: http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=46552.0

VMA drafts gone soon, which means prices are going to creep up.

Way to be a bunch of dicks, Wizards.
    Are they worried that Vintage being reasonably accessible means less people will play standard or draft? Or afraid of offending old school collectors who have houses worth of graded cards chilling in display cases? I just don't understand the logic of creating a premium set that's selling like Tomacco and then pulling the plug on it early.

At least my power went up a bunch of money literally the week after I bought in. /eyeroll

edit: or not lol wotc

At least they listened when people complained. That is something

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post

I became jaded with online while ago. Paying out for a fifteen hundred dollar deck to gamble for 11 tix is ass rape. I guess if it were more affordable and fired around the clock like Standard, I'd be slightly happier.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/m...hreads/4110251

And now they're back to the old schedule (kind of, at least).

MTGO management at its finest, gentlemen.
    Worth is controlling the price of magic cards online. He and WotC can eat a bag of dicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

MOCS promo Wasteland, please. Just one time please. I seriously want to have more deck options in Legacy without having to drop $400 on a set of Wastelands.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Community backlash got there for this one.

Worth Wollpert @mtgworth · 5h

Earlier this week, we screwed up. (and I screwed up) We tried to fix it: http://community.wizards.com/forum/magic-online-general/threads/4110251 … VMA around til Khans in most forms.
    And his tweet about it after he admits he made an error.

Worth Wollpert @mtgworth · 5h

Also, as a punishment, I am not allowing myself to have ice cream for the rest of the summer. :) #isgelatoicecream
    Such a cock smoker.

#isthathowyouapologizetoyourcustomers
    Respect my shine bitch!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

On his reddit post:

I will now go stab myself in the eye with a rusty awl coated in lemon juice & salt. :)
    I upvoted so hard that my mouse broke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

He's a wanker

1. I swear on my life it was not intended to be condescending. I also see how it could easily be read that way. I was trying to make a joke that several players tweeted me that they (literally) would like to eat actual ice cream for every meal. Missed the mark and made light of something that people were emotional about. Bad combo and a mistake.
    I still don't know what ice cream tweets and rusty awl posts have to do with simply saying sorry. Was it really in the best interest or the time to make jokes? As people dumped money into the game spurred on by your announcements to not be locked out of Vintage? Comforting to know tweets on dessert are top priority!
    Respect my shine bitch!

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mishima_kazuya View Post
    MOCS promo Wasteland, please. Just one time please. I seriously want to have more deck options in Legacy without having to drop $400 on a set of Wastelands.
    It's bound to happen sooner or later.

It's just not worth playing DEs right now with Geist as promo, though. I don't care that it's a GP promo/whaever - you don't HAVE to use it. It's almost Ratchet Bomb promo tier, considering how worthless it's going to be.

About the Worth thing: He's incompetence incarnate. What else do you expect of somebody like him? If it wasn't for the raging Nepotism at Wizards, he would be long gone already.

Now the interesting thing is: How did the community backlash hit him to revise his decision? Forums, social media, etc?

Thread Information