Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

Jul 2008
    NJ USA

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    That's pretty interesting.

1) DotP is for casuals, but they underestimate the impact of Heartstone, considering how shitty V4 currently is.

2) Wizards has hundreds of millions revenue each year. I'm not suprised they have free reign due to their success.

3) I wonder how they're planning to invest more money into MTGO since it clashes massively with Wizards' current policy. The responsible MTGO team consists of four way-below-the-industry-standard underpaid, terrible programmers with regular switches because of yearly lay-offs. MTGO probably makes 100+ million (if not way more) dollar each year, with a few ten thousand people. They could probably make billions if the program was actually good (and worked on other devices), hell, it could easily take the lead over paper. Maybe some of the managers don't want that and keep MTGO intentionally shitty to secure their jobs from the yearly lay-offs. That wouldn't suprise me anymore after all the info how Wizards' operates.

4) People don't want Bored of the Gods and Journey into Dicks? Color me suprised! Maybe they finally have to put some effort into set design again instead of taking old cards, doubling their mana cost and increase/double the numbers on the card.
    Didn't Conspiracy have a lukewarm reception at best? Not sure about M15, but it doesn't seem like the greatest set, either. VMA is a massive cash cow, though (despite Worth being retarded enough to almost kill it off prematurely, just "because").
    Its only a report of Q2 earnings of 2014, so do not expect major changes since these conferences happen every 3 months. Although from your reply among other people from social media, it sounds like Magic is being horribly mismanaged due to command structure problems.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

That's at least from what I have gathered over the internet in the last few weeks in the wake of the massive disaster that is the MODO client in general.

If you're in Magic R&D, it's awesome (D&D is also somewhat nice due to free playmats or whatever), but everything else sucks hard. If you work for Wizards, you have to expect lots of unpaid overtime since it seems Wizards expects you to compensate for that with your love for MtG. Nepotism is also raging in the company (Tom LaPille, Worth, and other worthless bastards). Managers try to make to make decisions with the least possible risk due the yearly lay-offs, thus resulting in stagnation, be it MTGO or otherwise. Lots of managers also seem to have the slightest idea about the field they're working in, resulting in questionable decisions across the board. "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians." was used to describe the situation at Wizards by an ex-employee.

tl;dr: If you don't work for R&D or D&D, Wizards is a hellhole.

Aug 2009
    Finland

Marshall Sutcliffe did a podcast with Jon Loucks to talk about wotc, mtgo and why Jon quit his job at wotc (mtgo) after 15 months. Check it out from lrcast.com. I found it interesting.

Jun 2014
    The Arctic

4) People don't want Bored of the Gods and Journey into Dicks? Color me suprised! Maybe they finally have to put some effort into set design again instead of taking old cards, doubling their mana cost and increase/double the numbers on the card.
    This probably require that they leave the echo chamber they have set up to keep telling them they are doing a bang up job of it, instead of phoning it in and slowly lobotomizing the game to the point that a small fraction of the stratagies/archtypes that should be playable actually are. Standard is what ~80% aggro. fine there are different flavours, but it should not go above 50-60% of the field.

Didn't Conspiracy have a lukewarm reception at best?
    If you do not play legacy (which most of the player base), then it is of little interest other then cube supplies and EDH singels, it reduced the price of a few EDH cards, but not much else. There were so many missed opertunities it is not funny, they could have put in a few more non-basics with abilities and Wasteland, Strip is not a problem in VMA draft, and waste would not have been an issue with CNS draft. This would have been a perfect place to re-print FoW to get its price down, instead they made it a judge foil. The set has been steadily going down in value since release and is at a little over half its release price. Odds are it was not made to be a major selller, because they did not want to draw people away from M15 drafts.

Other then finally having a set of Explorations (though a ugly set as 2 US and 2 CNS do not match well), and the when you draft me cards for when I finally make a cube, I got very little value from the set. There was not enough new playables, and for the old playables I mostly had what I needed because they were not expensive cards.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by yugular View Post
    Marshall Sutcliffe did a podcast with Jon Loucks to talk about wotc, mtgo and why Jon quit his job at wotc (mtgo) after 15 months. Check it out from lrcast.com. I found it interesting.
    Edit: Can you give us the # of said cast?

Or can you give a quick summary?

Quote Originally Posted by sjmcc13 View Post
    This probably require that they leave the echo chamber they have set up to keep telling them they are doing a bang up job of it, instead of phoning it in and slowly lobotomizing the game to the point that a small fraction of the stratagies/archtypes that should be playable actually are. Standard is what ~80% aggro. fine there are different flavours, but it should not go above 50-60% of the field.
    Standard is not 80% aggro, or even close to that. Where in the world did you get that idea?

Mar 2007

I wonder what to do with my 2x 35 Phantom points. Join Holiday Cube drafts? Or join the M15 Prerelease events?

Mar 2007

Warning: Indulgent Tormentor is bugged as hell. You can't choose to sacrifice a creature and only have the draw option or paying life. Probably lost me R4 and made me go 2-2.

At least I pulled 3 Souls - the white one (broken as fuck in Limited), the red one and a foil Soul of New Phyrexia (money right there!).

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

Warning: Indulgent Tormentor is bugged as hell. You can't choose to sacrifice a creature and only have the draw option or paying life. Probably lost me R4 and made me go 2-2.
    You have to click a creature to sacrifice, there's no button for that option.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Meekrab View Post
    You have to click a creature to sacrifice, there's no button for that option.
    That's pretty fucking dumb, especially when you're used to how MODO normally operates.

Jan 2005
    I actually live in actual Chicago

I agree it's a bad interface design choice.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Not Legacy related, but in other news Gifts Ungiven is broken.

If you choose 2 cards the opponent only gets to pick 1 of them to go to the graveyard, the other goes to your hand.

Choosing 4 cards works as intended, and I don't know what happens with 3.

Dec 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Anyone else having problems with Punishing Fire after the last patch?
    And by having problems I mean it doesn't work/trigger from Grove of the Burnwillows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosferra View Post
    Anyone else having problems with Punishing Fire after the last patch?
    And by having problems I mean it doesn't work/trigger from Grove of the Burnwillows.
    Yeah...lost a match the other day over that. My opponent just kept laughing, was not fun AT ALL.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

You guys should organize an MTGO strike or something. I bet if everyone stopped playing it they would actually hire people who new what the fuck they were doing and make a way better platform that could easily, EASILY, outsell paper magic.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    a way better platform that could easily, EASILY, outsell paper magic.
    Worth is too busy finding a "sweetspot" Where he can keep prices high enough for collectors, and secondary market. Because if cards are too cheap he thinks no one will play the formats. That's why he's so hard at work taking away in event replay access. And stopped printing all the results from events so players won't think there's a problem with design and won't think any format is solved, so that it isn't boring. This allows him to sidestep terms like "embarrassing" with totally not snide remarks about Gelato not being ice cream. And then get called out on it on Reddit so he can back track and say it was a joke about how someone tweeted him they would eat ice cream every meal. Because that shit was totally relevant to the topic
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

You could complain about how buggy the software is; or you can just stop playing mtgo altogether. WotC can't earn money if tickets are not consumed. Just stop playing!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Well, I started my boycott some time ago. It's not exactly hard to resist the urge to play at this moment. To be honest, I'm surprised anyone plays at all. Client is barely usable, pack prices are so low that dailies are -EV, no info on when the MOCS will return (wouldn't be surprised if it never will) and on top of that tons of old cards bugging out because M15 is released. This last one truly boggles the mind. Why do Tanglewire, Ponder, Gifts Ungiven etc. stop working correctly when seemingly completely unrelated cards are released?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Rune View Post
    Well, I started my boycott some time ago. It's not exactly hard to resist the urge to play at this moment. To be honest, I'm surprised anyone plays at all. Client is barely usable, pack prices are so low that dailies are -EV, no info on when the MOCS will return (wouldn't be surprised if it never will) and on top of that tons of old cards bugging out because M15 is released. This last one truly boggles the mind. Why do Tanglewire, Ponder, Gifts Ungiven etc. stop working correctly when seemingly completely unrelated cards are released?
    Card work differently because they get new programmers nearly every year due to layoffs. That's why similiar cards work differently because they were made by different people. I guess a newbie screwed with some old code.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    You could complain about how buggy the software is; or you can just stop playing mtgo altogether. WotC can't earn money if tickets are not consumed. Just stop playing!
    Legacy doesn't have enough impact to do jackshit. At worst, they would cut down DE support. You can't stop the grinders nor the Standard apes.

The best thing would probably to organize a huge group over social media to cause a massive shitstorm until Worth gets removed from his current position. Getting that incompetent, ice-creaming devouring bastard fired is out of question thanks to nepotism galore. But maybe he could get replaced by somebody more competent since it isn't that hard to be more competent than Worth. The chances of success for this operation would be extremely slim, though.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

There's no funding to actually fix it, so changing who is "in charge" means nothing, since all they are doing is polishing a turd. Worth seems really well suited for that actually.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information