Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

MTGO Legacy questions

I'm considering investing in Legacy staples on MTGO, however I'm curious about a few things before I drop the cash:
    - Do Legacy events fire frequently?
    - How good is the competition?

Thanks!

Dec 2009
    Denmark

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

Generally they only fire if there is a big Legacy event coming up (GP or MOCS), but they have been firing every day for over a month now, so it might have changed. They recently gave out promo FoWs, which created a lot of excitement about the format. You can follow event results at the bottom of this page http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital...whatshappening

The competition is going to be better than in RL, because you have pro players and grinders from all over the world joining the events. People also prefer to play their fun/casual decks in the "tournament practice" or "just for fun" rooms, so you'll rarely be paired against a ham sandwich in the dailies.

Awesome, thanks! This is all good news.

Also it has been announced that we will be getting Vintage sometime this year (no timeline announced yet just that its this year). So we make pick up a few extra players from that, or it might be something your interested in since some of the staples are the same.

May 2011
    Belgium

If i may ask a question. How is the price of legacy staples on MTGO? i'm interested in starting on MTGO but i'm not willing to invest as much in it as i did in paper magic. How do the MTGO prices compare to paper magic's?
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

I've looked into it, a lot of cards are 'reasonable'. JTMS is about $50, Force are about $75 and blue duals are about $25.

Personally, I would avoid likely Modern Masters reprints like Goyf, Thoughseize, and Bob since MM will have unlimited print run online.

Also, other recent news about modo :
    - each mtgo MOCS winner will receive an invitation for a Pro Tour
    - there will be Grand Prix Trials on modo, so winning some bye online will be possible

(source : http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazin...y/feature/237c)

No idea if this could have any influence on your choice as it doesnt involve only Legacy format, but it seems relevant though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by AEnesidem View Post
    If i may ask a question. How is the price of legacy staples on MTGO? i'm interested in starting on MTGO but i'm not willing to invest as much in it as i did in paper magic. How do the MTGO prices compare to paper magic's?
    Generally, MTGO is cheaper than Paper. FoW is slightly more expensive, but the duals and fetches are significantly cheaper (Delta is max at 18 tix). Lion's Eye Diamond is very expensive compared to Paper - but then again, the other pieces are cheaper.

You can check the major bot chain prices at www.cardbotmtgo.com and www.supernovabots.com/prices_0.txt. Keep in mind these are not the best prices you can find, but rather as a guide.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I might get started again later that year, so I have quite a few questions:

Has the interface become any better (be it normal or beta client)? I played a bit of Extended during the Ravnica time and I hated this user-unfriendly PoS with a passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Generally, MTGO is cheaper than Paper. FoW is slightly more expensive, but the duals and fetches are significantly cheaper (Delta is max at 18 tix). Lion's Eye Diamond is very expensive compared to Paper - but then again, the other pieces are cheaper.

You can check the major bot chain prices at www.cardbotmtgo.com and www.supernovabots.com/prices_0.txt. Keep in mind these are not the best prices you can find, but rather as a guide.
    What's the best way to aquire cards? Buy them online via third-party sites?

Trade them for tix? If so, should you get the low value cards from bots in bulks to minimize the loss when trading for tix? What's the best way to aquire tix? Buy them from third-party sites (if cheaper) or from Wizards (note that as a European, the VAT might be relevant).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I might get started again later that year, so I have quite a few questions:

Has the interface become any better (be it normal or beta client)? I played a bit of Extended during the Ravnica time and I hated this user-unfriendly PoS with a passion.
    I think it's OK right now with v3, but it looks & feels worse with v4. Buyer beware!

What's the best way to aquire cards? Buy them online via third-party sites?
    If you're buying in with cash, then www.mtgotraders.com offers the same prices as CardBot but gives you the option to make the order on their website with some discounts if paying with PayPal. PM me for a discount code (~8%)

Trade them for tix? If so, should you get the low value cards from bots in bulks to minimize the loss when trading for tix? What's the best way to aquire tix? Buy them from third-party sites (if cheaper) or from Wizards (note that as a European, the VAT might be relevant).
    There are some better ways to acquire tickets. If you have high VAT, then you can find people selling tix (checkout MOTL). WotC should likely be the last resort, as paying 20% VAT is not very good value when tix go in the unsecured market for roughly 0.95$/tix.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Aug 2011
    Italy

How are they going to introduce P9, is it going to be feasible do you guys think to get into Vintage online? I might just get MTGO solely for Vintage with the hopes of finding more frequent events with more players.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by bilb_o View Post
    How are they going to introduce P9, is it going to be feasible do you guys think to get into Vintage online? I might just get MTGO solely for Vintage with the hopes of finding more frequent events with more players.
    Mums the word. We have no clue how they plan to distribute P9 on MTGO at this time. This worries me, considering the only mention of its release was "sometime in 2013".
    West side
    My Legacy stream

I got turned off by MGTO a while back. I'm not a competition type on MGTO, more of a casual gamer...
    Problem I found, is that most of the time the only opponents I could get were Vintage players, as Legacy wasn't anywhere near as popular the times I was getting on there.
    I would go to play my legacy-legal deck to get killed by a Bazaar of Baghdad deck on turn 1, game after game after game. Boring....

Has it changed?
    has Legacy gotten more popular?

While Legacy isn't exactly huge, events do fire quite regularly and I've been in a couple of 8 player tournaments too. You can usually get an opponent for a single match pretty quickly.

Jan 2007
    Birmingham, AL

At night here in the central time zone there might not be many games going on in the practice room but theres certainly enough that you can get a game whenever you want virtually without waiting. The decks I have seen mostly are normal decks and not the crap you would get on cockatrice.

I actually started about a month ago strictly because the prices weren't bad and i finally had some money to do it but with kids now its really hard to get out of the house on a weeknight to go play. sure I can get away for a big SCG event or something but thats like 2-3 times a year.

When you look at MTGO I can get the deck cheaper for the most part, especially all the staples like fetches and duals, and I can play a bunch of times a week against good competition for the most part. Consider that against spending more for paper and only getting to play once a week at a small local tourney that I have to drive to and back and only to get play a few rounds and possibly against garbage budget decks. MTGO seemed like a good choice.

The daily events have been firing for weeks now, its usually 16 people the bare minimum but thats better than most local tourneys I bet especially in smaller areas and you can do it several times a week. Its also great if you have the same deck in paper as you can get in alot of actual legacy testing against decks you would expect to play in an SCG event.

I hope more people get into it, it would be great.

Alright, this is all great input. I'm buying in!

Also the 2men tourny format is pretty handy as it provides a good way to test your deck in a competitive atmosphere : it cost 2 tix, and almost insures that you will play a real 2/3 rounds match.
    It doesnt mean your opponent's deck would belong to the Tier 1 though, but there are few quiter thank to the buy-in, even if it is indeed very affordable. It is a kinda russian roulette match, but still provides good learning to prepare bigger event. And these 2men fires quite often.

I'm now playing the first round in an event where we got 19 players. It's the first time I've seen more than the minimum 16.

itsJulian.com - Legacy Videos
    Apr 2007
    Munich / Germany

Back in the days we had much larger MODO Legacy events, like 50+ people. I'm pretty positive this will come back at some point.
    The seven cardinal sins of Legacy:
    1. Discuss the unbanning of Land Tax Earthcraft.
    2. Argue that banning Force of Will would make the format healthier.
    3. Play Brainstorm without Fetchlands.
    4. Stifle Standstill.
    5. Think that Gaea's Blessing will make you Solidarity-proof.
    6. Pass priority after playing Infernal Tutor.
    7. Fail to playtest against Nourishing Lich (coZ iT wIlL gEt U!).

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Back in the days we had much larger MODO Legacy events, like 50+ people. I'm pretty positive this will come back at some point.
    I think with the introduction of Dual lands as MOCS prizes, we'll likely see a return to larger tournaments. It would also help to run more Legacy flavored MOCS events.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information