Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: MTGO Legacy questions

Dec 2012
    Rockville, MD

Re: MTGO Legacy questions

Quote Originally Posted by DragoFireheart View Post
    If I buy a MTGO card, can I redeem it later as a physical copy?

I'm assuming the answer is no to things like Underground Sea and what not.
    There's a list of sets that can be redeemed somewhere on mtgonline.com.

In short, it's only recent sets really.

Quote Originally Posted by jarvisyu View Post
    There's a list of sets that can be redeemed somewhere on mtgonline.com.

In short, it's only recent sets really.
    Another reason to not do MTGO for Legacy.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If I buy a MTGO card, can I redeem it later as a physical copy?

I'm assuming the answer is no to things like Underground Sea and what not.
    Not exactly. Only sets released that are legal in Standard are eligible for redemption, provided you collect a complete set of each set. Thus, you would need all 249 cards from Ravnica, then redeem for sealed Set from WotC's factory, which includes paying a processing and handling fee (between 5-25$ fee + shipping)

To be fair, you've never liked Legacy to begin with. The prices of cards online are much easier to flip back to tix than paper copies, where dealers will buy at 50-60% value and sell them back to you at 110% retail. On MTGO, those margins are less than 10% of its sell cost.

Example:
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    MTGO -- Buy: 102 tix, Sell: 112 tix, Margin: 8.93% profit
    Paper -- Buy: $50, Sell: $79.99, Margin: 37.5% profit (SCG prices)
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    To be fair, you've never liked Legacy to begin with.
    This is simply false. There are things I don't like about Legacy, but to say that equates me never liking Legacy is just a blatant lie. Therefore, you aren't being fair.

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Although I may still be in the honeymoon phase buying in for me was an an excellent decision. The competition is of top quality and the ability to test day or night is amazing.

I had a great deal of apprehension about buying in, but now I feel like i'm getting every penny out of my investment.

Strangely having cards in paper almost seems like more of a detriment now. They can get damaged, stolen, misplaced... You have to organize them and find room for all of them. You want to test a card you might have to walk around the house looking for it or make a janky proxy. You have to fight traffic or travel long distances to go to big events. With MTGO a lot of that goes away. For me it's not a 100% replacement, but it sure is a nice supplement.

Find me anytime: Freggle

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by Freggle View Post
    Although I may still be in the honeymoon phase buying in for me was an an excellent decision. The competition is of top quality and the ability to test day or night is amazing.

I had a great deal of apprehension about buying in, but now I feel like i'm getting every penny out of my investment.

Strangely having cards in paper almost seems like more of a detriment now. They can get damaged, stolen, misplaced... You have to organize them and find room for all of them. You want to test a card you might have to walk around the house looking for it or make a janky proxy. You have to fight traffic or travel long distances to go to big events. With MTGO a lot of that goes away. For me it's not a 100% replacement, but it sure is a nice supplement.

Find me anytime: Freggle
    Agreed- and you don't need umpteen playsets of Brainstorm. Own 4, you can play them in 24 different decks (and that's probably an understatement).

Playing online is nice because you can play pretty much anytime of day and you can trade for pretty much any card at anytime.

The only downsides for me are the lack of human interaction, sometimes its fun just to go eat tacos with your friends after a match and it's also more difficult to play test productively online. Because there aren't multiple people in the room, you can rewind situations and solicit everyone's opinion on the best play with the given information (although the replay feature is nice).
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

This is simply false. There are things I don't like about Legacy, but to say that equates me never liking Legacy is just a blatant lie. Therefore, you aren't being fair.
    I agree with Koby. You've always been a negative nancy vaginapants about everything Legacy. We all think it bro, please just leave...

Two Explores.
    Apr 2010

MTGO is the future of Legacy, better join as long as the prices are still fair.
    Humphrey is always correct.

Sep 2011
    Honolulu, HI

Quote Originally Posted by dunkle_stille View Post
    MTGO is the future of Legacy, better join as long as the prices are still fair.
    Aren't you banned? Or did you make amends with WOTC?
    "Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference."

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    Aren't you banned? Or did you make amends with WOTC?
    1st rule of fight club. Take that to pm dude.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

Modo is great for legacy. Here was the realization that put me all in

I can play legacy whenever I want. Cardboard has no value. Data has no value. My time and enjoyment has high value to me. More legacy = more fun. Buy in.
    westcoast degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    I agree with Koby. You've always been a negative nancy vaginapants about everything Legacy. We all think it bro, please just leave...
    Just because I might explain my opinion in an abrasive way doesn't mean I hate Legacy. And last time I checked, two people != everyone.

And no, I'm not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Wizard View Post
    The only downsides for me are the lack of human interaction, sometimes its fun just to go eat tacos with your friends after a match and it's also more difficult to play test productively online. Because there aren't multiple people in the room, you can rewind situations and solicit everyone's opinion on the best play with the given information (although the replay feature is nice).
    This. You sacrifice this social experience for convenience. Having played on-line games, I have no desire to go back.

I know this thread was from a few months ago, but is there still a legacy scene online? I would probably be playing at later hours EST like 10-2am. Do you think I'd be able to grab any dailies around then?

I do like the fact that it is cheaper (except FoW) and that I can play pretty much whenever. I just want to be sure there's still tournaments fairly regularly on weekdays.

nidubuild
    Jan 2006
    Paris-France

It's been 6 months since the last Legacy MOCS and dailies still fire. About 2/5 of the time. Even if they don't fire you can PM people in the legacy daily queue to propose a 8 men, that always works. 2men are fine for testing also.
    CLICK HERE FOR THE RULES OF A VERY FUN MULTIPLAYER CASUAL FORMAT
    You very likely can build it without spending any money, just out of what you already have.

An example with my (very large) list in a visual form

Do these cost anything to enter and have prizes?

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by [SLAYER]chaos View Post
    Do these cost anything to enter and have prizes?
    There are several event types you can play Legacy in:

2man queues - heads up play 2/3 match. Cost to enter: 2 tix, prize: 1 booster pack.
    8man queues - single elimination. Cost to enter: 6 tix, prizes: 5-3-2-2 boosters for 1-4th.
    Daily Events - swiss play, 4 rounds. Cost to enter: 6 tix, prizes: 4-0 record (11 boosters), 3-1 record (6 boosters)

It's a rare occasion that Premier Events fire, and even rarer that Legacy MOCS are selected. I won't bother to look up the prize structure on those since they occur once in a blue moon.

Best 'EV' are Daily Events, for their short duration (3-4 hours) and hefty prize support.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Are these boosters from any set or just the newest one? I'm on the fence right now of which version I want to buy back into. As much as I love playing paper magic I have the most fun playing legacy and it seems like the future of the format is online.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

They are exclusively from the latest set (altho sometimes block - right now prizes are RTR -- this ends up being a good thing once you start to see how much boosters are worth).

http://www.supernovabots.com/prices_6.txt
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Just a few more questions. What's the best way to get tix starting from zero collection? Just buy them from the actual store for a dollar a piece? Also just looking around it seems like the one store you posted earlier in the thread (cardbot) has the best prices from anywhere I can see for most things, is that where you buy most of your stuff?

Edit: Checking on the cardbot website for example it has Tundra listed at 19 for one of the versions but when I check in the store itself on MTGO it only has them for 25. Same thing for the fetchlands.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

If you're buying singles directly, I recommend MTGO Traders. They offer discounts when you pay with PayPal (PM me for some coupon codes ~8%). It doesn't really make sense to trade tix for cards if you're starting off because of how expensive tickets are from the MTGO store. I recommend only using tix to enter events. Then, from there on you can trade your packs for tix, then tix for cards finding the best deal.
    West side
    My Legacy stream

Thread Information