Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Zoo

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Re: [Primer/Deck] Zoo

@haganbmj What's the purpose of the single Teeg? The chances of randomly finding it at the right time is very low. I usually see Teeg in Zoo with GSZ.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Long Live Maverick
    Dec 2012
    Kennesaw, GA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    @haganbmj What's the purpose of the single Teeg? The chances of randomly finding it at the right time is very low. I usually see Teeg in Zoo with GSZ.
    Same as the single Karakas, it made me feel like I was at least trying to have answers to stuff.
    Tusk up.
    (Not so) Current Decks: GB Elves, GW Maverick, GWb Maverick, LED Dredge, ANT, TES, Jund Storm.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Yeah, that follows. I usually see Karakas with Knights in big Zoo, but overall your low-to-the-ground build is much more my speed. Thanks for sharing!
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

The Fire of Justice Burns Like Nothing Else
    Jun 2014
    Jacksonville, FL

For Big Zoo, I think GSZ is significantly better than BBE. GSZ is a stronger consistency tool and the ability to tutor for creatures is invaluable in Legacy.

I do like your list though - curious to know how it fares.

There is definitely an incentive to play Big Zoo right now as it can be built to have favorable matchups against the format's best decks, Grixis Delver and Czech Pile.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderPreaux View Post
    Gronder sounds like a dating app for people who play Knight of the Reliquary.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

BBE against the bunch of miracles decks seems good. But GSZ for Teeg is also good against them. I think I'm in the BBE train though
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphix View Post

There is definitely an incentive to play Big Zoo right now as it can be built to have favorable matchups against the format's best decks, Grixis Delver and Czech Pile.
    Can confirm, without surgical they cannot beat the card Punishing Fire.

You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I haven't played legacy in a while so when I went to weekly legacy the other night I did pretty terrible not knowing the meta. I underestimated the Moon Stompy matchup, so I think By Force is going to find its way to the board. The mana is definitely awkward so that's going to just take more reps with the deck to figure out.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Gonna try a more "value town" version of the deck. Nacatl was fine, but doesn't present a problem that SFM could, so without further ado:

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    4 Bloodbraid Elf
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavening Ooze
    1 Tireless Tracker

4 Punishing Fire
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Lightning Bolt
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I miss zoo. I hope you're successful. I don't know if SFM is the answer considering KCommand, but it's worth a shot. I still think a build with heavy burn emphasis and maybe even probes to delve out fast mandrills is good, but maybe I'm delusional
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I miss zoo. I hope you're successful. I don't know if SFM is the answer considering KCommand, but it's worth a shot. I still think a build with heavy burn emphasis and maybe even probes to delve out fast mandrills is good, but maybe I'm delusional
    I think that could be really good. I like the idea of Mandrils as a 4/4 trampler for G. I honestly think that something that gets a big, unfair blast of cheap creatures could really pressure the fair decks, like Burning-Tree Emissary and others.

Maybe something like this:

4x Wild Nacatl
    4x Goblin Guide
    3x Steppe Lynx
    4x Burning-Tree Emissary
    4x Hidden Herbalists
    4x Reckless Bushwhacker
    3x Hooting Mandrills

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Chain Lightning
    4x Manamorphose
    4x Gitaxian Probe

4x Wooded Foothills
    4x Arid Mesa
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Taiga
    1x Savannah
    1x Plateau
    1x Forest
    1x Mountain

It looks modern-ish, but that isn't a terrible thing. It's all in on agro with 8 bolts. Not sure what would be better as far as burn goes. Sideboard could be loaded with anti-combo like Mindbreak Traps, Gaddock Teeg, Grafdigger's Cage.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

it was actually great. I lived the dream of BBE into SFM, which was gas. I beat Leovold BUG 2-0 and Burn 2-1, lost to UW 0-2 because of a ton of misplays on my part, but that's the tax I have to pay getting back into legacy and various interactions.

Jul 2013
    Texas

You know, the more I think about the impact on the format from not having so many Striges and early TNNs... I think aggro decks could actually come back. Combo will be a bugaboo -- but the fair matchups should be pretty good for Naya.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

What's the meta going to be like now?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'm thinking of coming back to a Big Zoo build. I think in a world where I feel Show and Tell Makes a resurgence I want to be on Knight of the Reliquary.

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Wild Nacatl
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 Huntmaster of the Fells
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Scavenging Ooze

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Swords to Plowshares (Maybe even could just be chain lightning?)
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Sylvan Library
    2 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    1 Forest
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    3 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

Might be too midrangey and need to be a bit more focused on either a Zoo or Maverick plan.

Jul 2013
    Texas

I like the big zoo idea too, I think without DRS Jund is going to have trouble so this might be a good BBE deck. I'm not sure about GSZ in that case, of course, could use Adventurous Impulse or Oath of Nissa to dig for bullets. Rather stay focused on fair decks in the main and make the board all combo hate (other than Knight into Karakas)

I also love some of the Naya PWs that never get played. Domri, a bunch of Ajanis.... there's gotta be some good ones.

4 Nacatl
    4 Hierarch
    4 Goyf
    2 QPM
    2 Scooze
    3 Knight
    3 BBE

4 Bolt
    4 some other removal or reach (PTE, STP, Chain)
    4 dig spell
    2 Domri Rade
    2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

20 lands inc. Karakas and maybe some other Knight bullet (Bog?)

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    I like the big zoo idea too, I think without DRS Jund is going to have trouble so this might be a good BBE deck. I'm not sure about GSZ in that case, of course, could use Adventurous Impulse or Oath of Nissa to dig for bullets. Rather stay focused on fair decks in the main and make the board all combo hate (other than Knight into Karakas)

I also love some of the Naya PWs that never get played. Domri, a bunch of Ajanis.... there's gotta be some good ones.

4 Nacatl
    4 Hierarch
    4 Goyf
    2 QPM
    2 Scooze
    3 Knight
    3 BBE

4 Bolt
    4 some other removal or reach (PTE, STP, Chain)
    4 dig spell
    2 Domri Rade
    2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

20 lands inc. Karakas and maybe some other Knight bullet (Bog?)
    I can dig it. Oath is probably the better of the two spells as long as you are running some number of walkers and it can pump goyf if drawn in multiples. Though being a sorcery also can pump up for a turn 2 Goyf if your second removal spell happens to be not Chain Lightning.

Jul 2013
    Texas

Ghor-Clan and Narnam Renegade also could still be strong, especially if we gravitate toward RUG + white decks (Batterskull, TNN, Mom) as the fair MUs. Narnam + Domri is so much fun.

This deck falls into the "got lots of toys over the past 6 years, now we need to find the right mix" realm. The hit to Miracles from losing Top may help Zoo just enough to keep it above water. Of course, the combo MUs are going to be super tough, like 8-leyline-plan tough because they got so much faster as well.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Ghor-Clan and Narnam Renegade also could still be strong, especially if we gravitate toward RUG + white decks (Batterskull, TNN, Mom) as the fair MUs. Narnam + Domri is so much fun.

This deck falls into the "got lots of toys over the past 6 years, now we need to find the right mix" realm. The hit to Miracles from losing Top may help Zoo just enough to keep it above water. Of course, the combo MUs are going to be super tough, like 8-leyline-plan tough because they got so much faster as well.
    Shit I didn't think about Narnham + Domri. I just got a little chubby thinking about it. Domri + Goyf + Exalted is also a great way to win Goyf mirrors. Fuck Domri Zoo is sick. Idk if Ajani is good enough, since he's pretty terrible without a creature on board (unlike Domri who can at least try to draw cards). But it is a way to go jump over TNN which I think will still be important especially if UW Blade comes back. I also think adventurous impulse + baubles might be enough to fuel a Hooting Mandrills version? We're fucking brewin boys

Zzzzooooo:

Maindeck (60)
    4 Narnam Renegade
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Wild Nacatl
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Tarmogoyf
    3 Ghor-Clan Rampager
    3 Hooting Mandrills
    4 Adventurous Impulse
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Arid Mesa
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas
    1 Plains
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    2 Taiga
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills

Sideboard (15)
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    3 Containment Priest
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Pyroblast
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle

Jul 2013
    Texas

Shit I didn't think about Narnham + Domri. I just got a little chubby thinking about it. Domri + Goyf + Exalted is also a great way to win Goyf mirrors. Fuck Domri Zoo is sick. Idk if Ajani is good enough, since he's pretty terrible without a creature on board (unlike Domri who can at least try to draw cards). But it is a way to go jump over TNN which I think will still be important especially if UW Blade comes back. I also think adventurous impulse + baubles might be enough to fuel a Hooting Mandrills version? We're fucking brewin boys
    You are probably right in the short term about 3CC Ajani. But could be a good card for certain MUs going forward. It both provides a similar effect to Berserk and has insane synergy with it, which is how I first came upon it in the berserk/landfall version I played a few months back. For example, double-striking a huge Goyf or Knight can win out of nowhere; berserking the thing first can go 20-0.

But until the meta settles down probably better to not get cute and just stick to a couple Domris and more threats.

Thread Information