Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Zoo

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: [Primer/Deck] Zoo

I like the ghor-clans, really aggressive. Did you deliberately leave out knight of the Reliquary? Seems incredibly powerful, especially if you can bloodrush gcr and swing for huge life points.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jul 2013
    Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I like the ghor-clans, really aggressive. Did you deliberately leave out knight of the Reliquary? Seems incredibly powerful, especially if you can bloodrush gcr and swing for huge life points.
    He has hooting mandrills so Knight is off the table.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

No knight also probably means no Karakas. Or maybe it's fine idk. Knight still maybe be fine, but with Mandrills eating own yard I'd almost rather just have like Smiter. Just play mono 4/4's
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    No knight also probably means no Karakas. Or maybe it's fine idk. Knight still maybe be fine, but with Mandrills eating own yard I'd almost rather just have like Smiter. Just play mono 4/4's
    Cheap mandrils fucks your goyfs, too. If You're not getting 4/4 trampellers for g, you have no reason to play them. I honestly think you would need to drop goyfs too and play more burn to support mandrils. I can't imagine that's better than knights though. Knight active for even 1-2 turns can become huge, like 8/8+ huge, and that's where your gcr's are going to win you games. All the while you're utilizing lands from kotr to disrupt your opponent. Having a critical mass of huge threats is probably better than swarming. You can meter out your big dudes in the face of removal/terminus.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Goyf can still retain P/T from opposing yards though. I mean I'm not saying you're wrong in what you're suggesting. This is just my initial thought on the deck. I feel like you'll be wanting to delve away lands fairly often so you can keep artifacts and other stuff in the yard for the Goof. And yes knight can make himself huge and that's a boon, but it also is a bit slow since it ratchets up over a few turns. Also I feel like at a certain point you just ask yourself why you're not just playing a dedicated Knight deck like Maverick
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Can we make Nimble Mongoose work?
    Something like 10 fetches, 4 Bauble 8 Bolt/Chain. Going along Nacatl, Narnam, Goyf and the usual cards.
    Has the downside of not being Ghor-Clannable, but adds some removal insurance.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I don't think you need GCR and Knight, since Knight can just get you Kessig Wolf Run. Also, BBE into Domri is gassss. You definitely want Bolts, and maybe swords or path depending on if you also want to play punishing fire.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

After a long break from Legacy, I've returned to this degenerate format. Been testing some shit list online, list has been running ok, nothing special.

Lands [20]
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Arid Mesa
    3 Windswept Heath
    2 Taiga
    2 Plateau
    2 Savannah
    1 Mountain
    1 Forest
    1 Karakas

Creatures [30]
    4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Narnam Renegade
    4 Wild Nacatl
    2 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Renegade Rallier
    4 Bloodbraid Elf

Spells [10]
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Chain Lightning
    3 Domri Rade
    1 Sylvan Library

Sideboard [15]
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Shapers' Sanctuary
    2 Price of Progress
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Null Rod
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Destructive Revelry
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Tormod's Crypt

Shaper's Sanctuary is REALLY good in this format, you should all give it a try.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Dec 2014
    Decatur, GA

If I'm running Goyf I want other sources to help pump it, something like less lands and more copies of Land Grant to ensure our own Sorcery. The deck doesn't really sandbag secrets and the plan is almost as linear as they come, so it shouldn't be too much a downside.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Not sure if anyone saw this list: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24297&d=369651&f=LE

Hexdrinker replaces Nacatl, Reclaimer provides the land toolbox feature that KotR gave to previous big zoo decks, and planeswalkers help provide some resistances to sweepers. The deck remains rather low to the ground, though the splash of blue for Oko somehow seems a little off-brand.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    Not sure if anyone saw this list: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24297&d=369651&f=LE

Hexdrinker replaces Nacatl, Reclaimer provides the land toolbox feature that KotR gave to previous big zoo decks, and planeswalkers help provide some resistances to sweepers. The deck remains rather low to the ground, though the splash of blue for Oko somehow seems a little off-brand.
    It looks sweet but extremely soft to combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I saw the deck as well, and I realized that Oko once again makes another card (more) obsolete with Wild Nacatl. Oko makes Wild Nacatls all by himself every other turn. This deck lives in the same space as Maverick, just a little more aggressive. I don't think it really has legs because I think the combo decks are going to come back fierce once the metagame goes further over the edge of grindy mid-range control matchups. However, if someone were determined, these are some cards that can really help with combo matchups:

Veil of Summer
    Meddling Mage
    Weather the Storm
    Flusterstorm
    Dovin's Veto

Add some number of those to the Bog/Karakas maindeck plan and it won't be favorable, but at least bring some of the combo matchups up to 50/50.
    Brainstorm Realist

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Totally forgot to add this here, but our zoo discord is active whereas many forums are not any more. Here's a link to our discord - we primarily discuss modern, but have legacy channel as well.

https://discord.gg/Va6JA7R
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Looks awesome!

Someone just got third in the Saturday challenge with actual zoo. They were running 12 cantrip hate creatures which is a key innovation.

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Esper Sentinel
    4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

They were also running ending over plow, which ignores Thalia and helps against zoos historically bad chalice matchup.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2022-03-06

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    They were also running ending over plow, which ignores Thalia and helps against zoos historically bad chalice matchup.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2022-03-06
    Love to see it.

I wouldn't say Zoo had much of an issue with Chalice historically. Pridemages were stock, and most of the Chalice decks had trouble beating a Tarmogoyf. Zoo struggled against numerous other decks, though. Some combo decks could be prepared for, but limited sideboard space meant gaping holes in other matchups. Sneak and Show was a beating, and Natural Order wasn't much better. Lands was also very unfavorable. Terminus and True-Name Nemesis were the other big problems.

I would be curious to know what Byvci faced over the course of the tournament. The Top 16 doesn't look favorable for the list, so I'm guessing Byvci beat up on Delver and the Control decks that aren't playing sweepers, then stole a couple matches with sideboard choices that lined up.

Ahh I don’t have any history with zoo. I just assumed it was difficult like other non-Fow decks with a million 1 drops. Painter pre saga/ANT/hogaak/elves pre shepherd all had a terrible chalice mu.

You were mostly right. From the data collection project (please support us if you value this stuff):
    2-1 Grixis
    1-2 Lands
    2-0 UR delver
    2-0 UR Delver
    2-0 UWr
    2-0 UR Delver
    2-1 Ant

2-1 Ant
    1-2 UR delver

Thread Information