Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Esperblade

Re: Esperblade

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    That's fair, that is not a change I've had experience with. Until Esper looks to extirpate/RiP instead of surgical, I can see why it's now considered terrible.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, extirpate doesn't do anything different against grove's mana ability and punishing fire trigger.

Creeping tar pit also pretty handily beats down jace, although we do usually pack a wasteland or two, they can tutor(intuition) it or dig to it faster ala dredging. and if it's game 1 then life of the loam will just keep bringing him back too. And of course swords takes care of him completely.

Edit: actually yeah swords kinda just owns him, but engineering explosives for 4 is always within reach

Site Contributor
    Sep 2009
    London, UK

What you generally do with the Tar Pit, if you suspect a StP incoming, is to keep a Wasteland open to bin it in response.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    That's fair, that is not a change I've had experience with. Until Esper looks to extirpate/RiP instead of surgical, I can see why it's now considered terrible.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, extirpate doesn't do anything different against grove's mana ability and punishing fire trigger.
    Well, I believe it sort of does. You can use Extirpate in response to them tapping Grove of the Burnwillows for mana and the Punishing Fire trigger going on the stack. However, if you try to Extirpate, they can respond by tapping Grove of the Burnwillows due to it being a mana ability. It can work, you just have to use the Extirpate in response, giving you the advantage that they can't cast anything in response to it.

Though if they have two Grove of the Burnwillows in play, you're kind of screwed.

Sep 2009
    Michigan, US

Surgical and Extirpate are fine if you're already running wasteland.

Pray for Rain
    May 2010
    Philadelphia, PA, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Well, I believe it sort of does. You can use Extirpate in response to them tapping Grove of the Burnwillows for mana and the Punishing Fire trigger going on the stack. However, if you try to Extirpate, they can respond by tapping Grove of the Burnwillows due to it being a mana ability. It can work, you just have to use the Extirpate in response, giving you the advantage that they can't cast anything in response to it.

Though if they have two Grove of the Burnwillows in play, you're kind of screwed.
    It does nothing that surgical does not in this regard
    Matt Bevenour in real life

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

I haven't tested the matchup in tournament play yet, but from a little bit of testing, BUG Delver is somewhat favored against Esper. The sideboard Sinkhole plan prevents them from executing their plan of casting 3+ CMC haymakers. As long as we have a way to deal with Lingering Souls, BUG Delver should be able to ride the tempo advantage to victory.

The times we lose seem to be solely on the back of Lingering Souls and Jace, which are "solved" with Engineered Plague and Sinkhole. Sometimes things don't work out that way though.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

May 2011
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmuant View Post
    I haven't tested the matchup in tournament play yet, but from a little bit of testing, BUG Delver is somewhat favored against Esper. The sideboard Sinkhole plan prevents them from executing their plan of casting 3+ CMC haymakers. As long as we have a way to deal with Lingering Souls, BUG Delver should be able to ride the tempo advantage to victory.

The times we lose seem to be solely on the back of Lingering Souls and Jace, which are "solved" with Engineered Plague and Sinkhole. Sometimes things don't work out that way though.
    anything attacking esperblade's manabase makes the matchup slightly unfavored for esperblade: RUG and BUG tempo above all. If you don't succeed in taking out our manabase you'll probably have trouble beating it though as they have perish, verdict, jaces, souls, tons of removal and tempo decks become bad in the late game.
    I don't like MTG, i just like legacy control decks.
    Esper stoneblade

Thread Information