Page 240 of 263 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244250 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,800 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    How about one with 2 Smallpoxes? Just saw this posted; another interesting maybe sort of Pox probably MBC list, top 8 in an 89-player tournament in Italy last week

// 24 Lands
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Castle Locthwain
    3 Mutavault
    3 Polluted Delta
    10 Swamp
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Wasteland

// 13 Creatures
    3 Asylum Visitor
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    2 Murderous Rider

// 8 Instants
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Liliana's Triumph

// 8 Sorceries
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Smallpox
    4 Thoughtseize

// 7 Planeswalkers
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Extirpate
    SB: 2 Helm of Obedience
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Plague Engineer
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    "No card is an automatic four of, not even Pox and Smallpox." - the father-thread under Card analysis. If anything, I'd just run Big Pox instead of Smallpox. I should test Curse of the Cabal. It's one hell of a bomb. Assuming you keep Teferi, Time Raveler off the table. Since I'm of the mana denial flavor, they'll probably be in deep trouble since I'm hitting the lands, they'll probably be sacrificing relevant permanents to buy time. I'm trading Nether Void to finish my RUG Delver land sets. Turns out that Winter Orb with Artifact Mana is nastier...
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    How about one with 2 Smallpoxes? Just saw this posted; another interesting maybe sort of Pox probably MBC list, top 8 in an 89-player tournament in Italy last week

// 24 Lands
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Castle Locthwain
    3 Mutavault
    3 Polluted Delta
    10 Swamp
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    3 Wasteland

// 13 Creatures
    3 Asylum Visitor
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    2 Murderous Rider

// 8 Instants
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Liliana's Triumph

// 8 Sorceries
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Smallpox
    4 Thoughtseize

// 7 Planeswalkers
    3 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Extirpate
    SB: 2 Helm of Obedience
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Plague Engineer
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    I don't know if it's intentional in this list, but I've had a problem often that the pox list I've been running loses to chalice on 1. This list plays around that super well and barely cares about most cotv plays.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Chalice @ 1 seems to hurt the Dark Ritual Core builds and discard flavors of Pox. If it's really that prevalent, I'd suggest going full land killer since they're not using cmc 1 spells either. I haven't fought vs. Chalice much but I know my Inquisitions & Dark Rits would certainly be a problem. BlastZone becomes your answer, but you need to pump it up to two counters right?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    I haven't fought vs. Chalice much but I know my Inquisitions & Dark Rits would certainly be a problem. BlastZone becomes your answer, but you need to pump it up to two counters right?
    Chalice, regardless of what number of counters it has on it, or was played with, always has a CMC of Zero while on the Battlefield. Blast Zone won't help, unless you have some Thespian Stage shenanigans going.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Those rulings... Ugh. Blast Zone doesn't work on tokens since it starts on 1... DOH! In that case, Ratchet Bomb becomes the answer for Chalice @1.

Those rulings... Ugh. Blast Zone doesn't work on tokens since it starts on 1... DOH! In that case, Ratchet Bomb becomes the answer for Chalice @1.
    Besides EE and Ratchet Bomb, are there any competitive mono-black options? We're starting to see some enchantment removal in black which is nice. I don't think we'll see any artifact removal though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

You could play your own Chalices...just sayin'.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Besides EE and Ratchet Bomb, are there any competitive mono-black options? We're starting to see some enchantment removal in black which is nice. I don't think we'll see any artifact removal though.
    Yes, this was explicitly stated by MaRo, that we will see Black's design-space opened to include conditional Enchantment removal, but not Artifact removal.

You've got to get into the weird sub-par realm to really get anything in Black that I know of, like Xenic Poltergeist or Gate to Phyrexia.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Most pertinent enchantments are green and or white, so Dystopia is still one of my all-time favorites for not only green and white enchantment removal, but green and white permanent removal in general.

Vampire Hexmage is also an acceptable answer to Chalice from monoblack decks (the only issue here is that it conflicts with Nether Spirit, but it also has flexibility as an anti-PW option if you want that effect)

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Karn, the Great Creator and Null Rod come to mind. Problem is the Rod messes with your own artifacts like Cursed Scroll and activated Mishra's Factory and Phyrexian Totem. If only KtGC was 3 mana and 4 loyalty instead...

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2218439#paper

Winter's Orb Testing Failed. Bringing back the Nether Void and replaced it with a 2nd Murderous Rider. If you're fighting Chalice @1. Fuq it and bring in all the sideboard you like > 1 cmc and swap out the inquisitions, Bloods, Fatal Pushes & 1 cmc GY hate. The sideboard should be able to handle practically everything you'd need. Walkers have 3 ways of being Dealt with: Swift End, Asylum Visitors uppercutting hard, or Pithing Needle. Bonus if the Dystopia can kill the Walker of your choice! 6 Lilianas make her Triumph more certain... Pun intended Can Withering Wisps damage walkers? I suppose not...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Myth Realized was the threat I've been waiting for... Too bad it's the wrong color...
    Being super lucky will defeat any bad deck design. Though I'm not one to worship RNG as she's an evil btch most of the time.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Myth Realized was the threat I've been waiting for... Too bad it's the wrong color...
    Being super lucky will defeat any bad deck design. Though I'm not one to worship RNG as she's an evil btch most of the time.
    Well, the deck isn't terrible, but, like anything else, if you run into some decent matchups and get lucky, you might do really well.

That being said, the list itself isn't far from the old, hypothesized Vaka Pox lists from years ago. Several of the card choices make no seeming sense, but the structure, in-itself, is likely at least somewhat competitive. In fact, Sinkhole, while far, far from being the powerhouse it once was, might be somewhat better than it had been, since more decks are relying on the "stability" that Basics give in dodging Wasteland.

That being said, it seem doubtful, to me, that this would be the "optimal" Sinkhole deck, even if Sinkhole is better (which is a highly debatable notion in it's own right).

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I grew up with the precon, "Groundbreaker" as a basis for winning in MtG. Yes, I was an evil sadist. Having Sinkhole becoming dangerous in a deck is my dream. Sadly, despite WotC personal mission to make LD unplayable because losing with no lands is unfun... Yet printing Enter the Breech... I'm literally stuck between rock and hard place. I'll try as I might... But if splashing white is my only recourse, Vindicate is worth the price I guess. Years ago discussing with a coach and best friend, what's a good land destruction deck? This Pox was my answer... The pet deck as it were. I shall wait. We have two Lilianas that can shine. Murderous Rider is a welcome addition. Maybe, we'll get something, anything with time...

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24242&d=369231&f=LE

This is an eye opening idea. Instead of a lock, you play an enormous creature after tripping them up. The triple Innocent Blood definitely feels solid despite the creatures. 25 land with 4 dark rituals makes sideboarding a bit more flexible. Any ideas besides sideboarding Dystopia? Normally, I wouldn't run this cause the creatures lacked protection but if the hymns and other discard can do it, maybe it'll work. It definitely has a learning curve but the Zombie combos well with the Cursed Scroll. Noxious Grasp & Dystopia would modify the board a bit for me.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I'd simply swap both Blightnings with Smallpox or Pox and that's all you'd need. Blightning is 3 mana for a hymn to Bolt. Pox is 3 mana for 2 bolts, 2 sinkholes, and 2 Raven's Crime if their lands and hand are 4 early game and Smallpox is 2 mana for a Sinkhole, Innocent Blood and Raven's Crime + Searing Touch Such value, and we built our deck to survive the blast so to speak. Land count is too small for it though so you would have to revise a bit.

bruizar

I'd simply swap both Blightnings with Smallpox or Pox and that's all you'd need. Blightning is 3 mana for a hymn to Bolt. Pox is 3 mana for 2 bolts, 2 sinkholes, and 2 Raven's Crime if their lands and hand are 4 early game and Smallpox is 2 mana for a Sinkhole, Innocent Blood and Raven's Crime + Searing Touch Such value, and we built our deck to survive the blast so to speak. Land count is too small for it though so you would have to revise a bit.
    I'm afraid I won't get to BBRR for Kroxa with Pox effects. It's absolutely backbreaking and all my creatures are resistant to it, so I'd like to run it, but how do you deal with the land loss though.

PS: Graven Cairns is in the deck over Urborg because of the need to generate BB and RR for Hymn, Skelemental and Kroxa in case people were wondering.

Thread Information