Page 22 of 263 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Well, Funeral charm has its charm, but i cannot dredge it up with my other cards. So it is not that great. If it had been -2/-2, a Deathrite shaman killer, THEN...

As for Liliana, she is not needed to make kills with the rack. Besides I am short of room; Maybe if I removed the Dark rituals again
    Your creatures are terrifyingly [sp?] GIGANTIC!! How can you put so much weight on a 3 damage conditional artifact when your biggest threats could bury your foe in 3 turns after a big Pox?

Besides, with so many threats, swords to plow should be the least of your worries and since your whole game is about making them top deck solutions, I'd lower the threat count for Lilianas.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Well, you would think Pox ->Tombstalker = Win, but it doesn't work that easy. For example, the opponent that played the lingering souls deck also used sensei divining top. If I played pox, he would discard anything but the sword, our else he could dig for it with a good chance of finding it.
    But you make me consider running IoK and therapies instead of hymn.

The rack is dangerous, and excellent in pox decks. Except for loam decks most opponents will soon have few cards in hand and at that point the rack will gain a pseudo lock ability. The opponent need to keep cards in hand to avoid that the rack become a four turn clock. This is a dangerous situation; a top decked Hymn to Tourach will start the clock again.
    Also it is easy to get multiple racks in play multiplying the threat and clock.

Mixing monsters and the rack is probably not optimal. Not that I am crying;
    Seems like i have a reason to build that Liliana pox this fall. Mishras and the rack. Yummy!

@As for Liliana, she is not needed to make kills with the rack.
    - I think the rack, or shrieking afflicton (i've been seeing some builds with shrieking affliction poping up lately) loses its luster a bit without liliana I realy think that you should consider her..

She's amazing, she works on both ends of the court..
    Last edited by zenitramleirdag; 07-18-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Haunted Plate Mail?

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1372824041

Too expensive at 4cc or a Chimeric Idol that plays well with Factories?

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

It is expensive, but I should test it first

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    It is expensive, but I should test it first
    While 4 is asking alot when you sac your own lands, it is worth noting that it escapes Abrupt Decay. Also it could make a Spirit 6/6 if needed to block something big.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    Haunted Plate Mail?

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attac...1&d=1372824041

Too expensive at 4cc or a Chimeric Idol that plays well with Factories?
    Holy shit... A 4 Power/Toughness threat that plays well with Factories, allows instants (if your deck runs them) and dodges the most effective removal (Abrupt Decay) in the game?! The CMC is devastating for a 3 turn clock after a Pox + Smallpox. If they had given it Phyrexian Totem's ability to generate B by tapping, I'd make it a two of without thinking!! I'm guessing it's dirt cheap. Mentioning that it turns your Nether Spirit into a Tarmogoyf Murderer is hawt.

As for the Rack + Creatures, in the past, I'd use the Rack as a way to 'bolt' my enemies while my bigger blockers held off my foes. With near constant creature kill in the form of poxes + spells + Liliana, you might as well do away with all conventional creatures. I used to run Aggro Pox, but my creatures took Swords in the knee...

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

If you are running a lot of Rack effects and are already running two Entomb and two Dakmore Salvages, I might reccomend throwing a Raven's Crime in there. I had a discard oriented Pox version and you could really put the hurt on someone with the Rack effects there. I used to run a similar version with the extra Shrieking Afflictions and it won games fastest with damage than other Pox decks I've made. I ended up missing the land destruction elements I removed though, and as Omni would say, I took one too many Chalice's to the knee. And Leyline of Sanctity However I think the deck has a lot of merit and can certainly win a game in a turn or two midgame if you get a couple Racks or Afflictions out at once with a Lilliana. Oh boy! You are living the dream.

I decided to try out Loam Pox to see what all the fuss was about. Sadly, I only went 1-3. Needless to say, I think I still like the mono-black version. I realize I am a bit unpracticed with the Loam so may not be fair to it, however I found the merits and flaws of it similar to how decribed: While it is very sweet to have Abrupt Decay and Loam Wasteland recursion, I found it to stretch the mana base a bit much (though not as badly as I thought) and it was weak to graveyard hate and sacrificed early aggressiveness for late game stability.

Jun 2012
    São Paulo, Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    I decided to try out Loam Pox to see what all the fuss was about. Sadly, I only went 1-3. Needless to say, I think I still like the mono-black version. I realize I am a bit unpracticed with the Loam so may not be fair to it, however I found the merits and flaws of it similar to how decribed: While it is very sweet to have Abrupt Decay and Loam Wasteland recursion, I found it to stretch the mana base a bit much (though not as badly as I thought) and it was weak to graveyard hate and sacrificed early aggressiveness for late game stability.
    The manabase isn't too terrible, since mox diamond is mandatory in such a deck. You are also not supposed to run 4 abrupt decays. (Altough I ddin´t see your list, you could post it for us).
    The main problem when building AND playing loam pox is that we fall on the temptation of abusing the loam engine - in the choice of the cards and in the way of playing. But life from the loam must be used after you have already established control, to recur mishras and lands for raven's crima/syphon life.
    If we would run loam pox with infinite raven's crime + the rack, we can't rely on cards like pernicious deed. Such dilemmas make it difficult to find an optimal build - loam pox will always look like a the rock that doesn't kill or a pox that doesn't control.

It is true that my test list was substandard without MoxDiamonds at the very least, and not much practice with it in the Loam style either. You are correct in that the temptation is to break that Loam engine, but it is dangerous with so much strong gravehate around. I played a Counterbalance deck with the maindeck RIPs for Helm. Yuck. But I swear I halfway wanted to put Buried Alive in the deck with all my Bloodghasts and Spirit and swarm decks early with Loam recursion, Lol. I even sided in a Vengeful Pharoh in against Jund. What fun! Loam is better with that sort of thing, cause you can dredge him back from the top deck if you can't cast him, and with the land recursion you can get to five anyway.

Can't wait to test the Haunted Platemail as a singleton in mono black as well.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I read that the new expansion may not be so focused on multi color cards. We will have to wait and see what comes out of it, but it still is interesting news for Mono black. But enchantments? Bleh!

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I read that the new expansion may not be so focused on multi color cards. We will have to wait and see what comes out of it, but it still is interesting news for Mono black. But enchantments? Bleh!
    Gotta agree, black enchantments outside the Engineered Plague and The Abyss and Nether Void, they're just not uber crush enough.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Never forget Necropotence! I won my only tourney with extended Necro. (when Demonic consultation was unrestricted

Jun 2012
    saguenay QC

Hello everyone I'm an old school pox player, but with the happen in hpm m14 I believe he will have a possibility to integrate it into the most aggressive version constructions.

Here since I drive about 1 year in heavy aggro/control meta

11 swamp
    4 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 mishra's factory
    4 wasteland
    1 ghost quarter

2 nether spirit

1 spinning darkness
    4 dark ritual

1 pox
    1 thoughtseize
    3 innocent blood
    4 sinkhole
    4 hymn to tourach
    4 smallpox
    4inquisition of kozilek

4 liliana of the veil

3 cursed scroll

1 nether void

for several this version is closer to that of duke reid that personally I find more control than aggressive.I tested a version with mutavault gravecrawler is more aggressive than my present list. This weekend I participated in a tournament In my lgs think to change my version and refitting gravecrawler , mutavault and cut one cursed scroll and one toughtseize to introduce hpm in two copies.

for my new build I think its going to look like this

11swamp
    4 wasteland
    4 mutavault
    4 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    2 mishra's factory

4 gravecrawler

4 sinkhole
    4 inquisition of kozilek
    3 innocent blood
    4 hymn to tourach
    4 smallpox

4 liliana of the veil

2 cursed scroll
    2 haunted plate mail

1 nethervoid

for the sideboard I brew something like this

1 the abyss
    4 extirpate
    3 engineered plague
    2 pithing needle
    3 oblivion ring
    2 cursed totem

3 oblivion ring :o yes i play this card for show and tel yes i know 3 cards for 1 deck but is not the great idea but is work and lot of my friend play this deck if you have greater idea im ready

tank for comment

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Play four (4) Oblivion ring. You want them on your starting hand after all.

I suppose you could splash a bit of white to add a couple of vindicate and play your O-rings in other matchups, but I dont know if it is worth stretching your manabase for it.

Gravecrawler seems problematic. There will be times where you may not have a creature to play and thus cannot reccur the Crawlers as the deck doesnt have other zombies. I like Bloodghast more in that role, and use them sometimes with Crucible, and recently with a bit of Loam. And their recurrence requires no mana commitment either, I might add. They can't block, but if you are being aggro and swing in on an empty board with a factory, spirit and ghast you cando that on most turns you can keep them cratureless.

Some on here use two Tombstalkers in that role sometimes, which also seems pretty beastly.

Also, I'm not sure if one or two is the correct number for Haunted Plate Mail. I haven't tested with it yet.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Mutavault are all creature types.

Thread Information