Page 235 of 263 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,700 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Given how successful Blood Moon is right now in this meta, is it time to play Contamination? Beats RUG, beats 4c, beats Depths, etc... Scroll of Fate really supports the lock.

//Lands: 25
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    1 Nurturing Peatland
    1 Cabal Pit
    3 City of Traitors
    8 Swamp

//Spells: 19
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Duress
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Smallpox
    1 Toxic Deluge

//Creatures: 4
    4 Bloodghast

//Enchantments and Artifacts: 8
    3 Contamination
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Scroll of Fate

//Planeswalkers: 4
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    Contamination doesn't beat depths outright because it only affects lands when they tap for mana.
    You can still hardcast Hexmage or activate stage using Black mana so Contamination doesn't stop it.
    It does stop RUG from casting spells, but then, so does moon. I think the problem with this deck is that it's not clear what the advantages are over just playing the red version. The plan A of "my opponent can't cast any spells because their lands don't work" has absolutely no cohesion with the plan B of "I'm going to discard all of my opponent's cards"

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Contamination doesn't beat depths outright because it only affects lands when they tap for mana.
    You can still hardcast Hexmage or activate stage using Black mana so Contamination doesn't stop it.
    It does stop RUG from casting spells, but then, so does moon. I think the problem with this deck is that it's not clear what the advantages are over just playing the red version. The plan A of "my opponent can't cast any spells because their lands don't work" has absolutely no cohesion with the plan B of "I'm going to discard all of my opponent's cards"
    Actually, it's the epitome of the total denial plan. You nuke their hand and kill their draws. Contamination is just an overpriced way to do it. I'd suggest Dimir Machinations for consistency along with Beseech the Queen. Nothing causes surrenders like hellbent topdeck mode and your lands are useless. Sadly, an Artifact or colorless solution could escape. Or Mire in Misery.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2218439#paper

Aside from fast swarm strategies, your game 1 should be balanced. 1 Dark Ritual due to card disadvantage reduction and aside from Nether Void there are no cmc spells beyond 3. Plague Engineer is insane.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post

Aside from fast swarm strategies, your game 1 should be balanced. 1 Dark Ritual due to card disadvantage reduction and aside from Nether Void there are no cmc spells beyond 3. Plague Engineer is insane.
    You want Plague Engineer against decks that have small creatures, which means that you want to also want to kill your opponent's creatures with Innocent Blood / Smallpox (which eats your own Engineer) and you want to block with Nether Spirit (which can't come back if you have Engineer in the graveyard)

Actually, it's the epitome of the total denial plan... Nothing causes surrenders like hellbent topdeck mode and your lands are useless.
    If their lands are useless why do you care what they draw? If they are hellbent with nothing to cast why do you care if their lands don't make mana? Trying to shut down the opponent on every single axis will spread yourself too thin and make it easier for the opponent to come back into the game

If you look at a successful deck like moon stompy the plan is all the same
    Moon -> You can't cast spells
    Chalice -> You can't cast spells
    Trinisphere -> You can't cast spells

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    You want Plague Engineer against decks that have small creatures, which means that you want to also want to kill your opponent's creatures with Innocent Blood / Smallpox (which eats your own Engineer) and you want to block with Nether Spirit (which can't come back if you have Engineer in the graveyard)

If their lands are useless why do you care what they draw? If they are hellbent with nothing to cast why do you care if their lands don't make mana? Trying to shut down the opponent on every single axis will spread yourself too thin and make it easier for the opponent to come back into the game

If you look at a successful deck like moon stompy the plan is all the same
    Moon -> You can't cast spells
    Chalice -> You can't cast spells
    Trinisphere -> You can't cast spells
    All solid points and I'd like to add to that, Liliana, the Last Hope can pull dead Engineers from the yard. Moon and Chalice and Sphere are all effective until they top deck an Abrupt Decay. I could run Contamination with a totally overhauled shell. However Abrupt Decay decks have non-land mana options, they're green after all. Pox was already designed to attack resources on every single axis isn't it? Life, Hand, Creatures and Land all at once. Ashiok, Dream Render gives Pox an alt win-condition that covers the final resource we didn't attack before. Artifact mana just means we have to kill them faster.

I'll grant you, without Blast Zone and Ratchet Bomb resolved artifacts with static abilities are a problem. You could just kill them with the sideboard.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Artifact mana just means we have to kill them faster..
    or run Karn, the great creator?

if we're still running CMC 2 as our business spells (Hymn, Bitterblossom, Smallpox and Bloodghast)
    would you opt for running sol lands and 4 chalice of the void or stay with the discard suite of thoughtseize, cabal therapy and inquisition of kozilek?

i did see a B/G Pox list that ran 4 chalice of the void and 4 mox diamond along with 27 lands (none were sol lands)
    and all the business spells that help with a green splash: sylvan library, life from the loam, living wish, abrupt decay and choke.

there is a parallel to the bloodmoon stompy lists, but there is no payout to turn 2 a contamination. there needs to be set-up.
    would 4 mishra's factory, 1 nether spirit, 4 bitterblossom and 4 bloodghast be enough creatures to support a contamination lock?
    i'm thinking yes, but along with 2 or 3 crucible of worlds and at least 2 scroll of fate.

someone mentioned that the U/B Tezz lists could run contamination and they might be right...

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Anyone have an updated sideboard for a blind meta?

Some cards I've considered:
    The Elderspell - Nuking Teferi, Time Raveler & Narset, Parter of Veils & Jace, the Mind Sculptor when topdecking
    Leyline of the Void
    Night of Souls' Betrayal
    Curse of Fool's Wisdom: need to be extra careful for madness on this one. Excellent vs. Burn & behind a bridge.
    Dystopia - seems to be the hot topic in some circles
    Pithing Needle - Always one minimum.
    Mire in Misery - crazy outs vs. Back to Basics, Blood Moon, Sulfuric Vortex, Pyrostatic pillar etc.
    Ensnaring Bridge
    Night of Souls' Betrayal
    Tombstalker - just kill them.
    Liliana the Last Hope - Emblem stacking for the insanely long games.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I really like Collective Brutality in a blind metagame. It's almost never dead. Mire in Misery seems like an especially good addition to Pox for providing outs to problematic cards. I've been on 4 copies of Pithing Needle maindeck in Turbo Depths, it has a bunch of strong targets in the current metagame, mostly for W6 but also for Jace, Teferi, Chandra, Karn for other PWs. Also hits Hexmage, Stage, Elvish Reclaimer, Knight of the Reliquary, Stoneforge Mystic, Aether Vial, Auriok Salvagers, and Griselbrand. I think at least 2-3 Needles will go a long ways towards tipping matchup percentages. If for no other reason, it nukes W6, which changes the whole dynamic of the Delver matchup.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I really like Collective Brutality in a blind metagame. It's almost never dead. Mire in Misery seems like an especially good addition to Pox for providing outs to problematic cards. I've been on 4 copies of Pithing Needle maindeck in Turbo Depths, it has a bunch of strong targets in the current metagame, mostly for W6 but also for Jace, Teferi, Chandra, Karn for other PWs. Also hits Hexmage, Stage, Elvish Reclaimer, Knight of the Reliquary, Stoneforge Mystic, Aether Vial, Auriok Salvagers, and Griselbrand. I think at least 2-3 Needles will go a long ways towards tipping matchup percentages. If for no other reason, it nukes W6, which changes the whole dynamic of the Delver matchup.
    I'm digging the Needles, but 4 for main deck? Seems tough to figure out what to remove. Resolved permanents are ever the problem for Poxers. Brutality for creatures & Burn while tossing Nether Spirit is too spicy not to try. I updated my sideboard with old tech from ancient times. But the Needles sounds efficient as it's direct card advantage for copies yet to resolve.

Many thanks for the suggestions, will test and update soon!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I'm digging the Needles, but 4 for main deck?
    I just meant to say that in Turbo Depths its good enough to warrant 4 in the maindeck, not for Pox. I meant at least 2-3 between the main/side. If you have a metagame ripe for Needle to hose, by all means maindeck it. I wouldn't go to a tournament without at least 3 Needles for somewhere in the 75 ATM.

Brutality for creatures & Burn while tossing Nether Spirit is too spicy not to try. I updated my sideboard with old tech from ancient times. But the Needles sounds efficient as it's direct card advantage for copies yet to resolve.

Many thanks for the suggestions, will test and update soon!
    I try to cram Brutality in almost any deck playing black, just because it can really swing tempo so hard. In some cases you can rip the trio of effects and be way ahead, especially in an attrition strategy like Pox.

If I were to take Pox to a tournament today I would sideboard like this:

3x Pithing Needle
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Plague Engineer
    2x Mire in Misery
    2x Liliana's Triumph

I think that would cover a bunch of matchups, and this is assuming that I would play maindeck Ratchet Bomb and Bitterblossom (at least 2 of each.) If on Innocent Blood I would cut them for Plague Engineer and Liliana's Triumph post-board. If on Fatal Push, the extra removal gets even better.

EDIT: Looking at the list you posted, I would cut 1x Ashiok for a Crucible of Worlds. I think any version playing actual Pox (the card) would benefit from 1-2 Crucible for land recursion. Also, if playing Ashiok maindeck then I would probably sideboard Surgical over Leyline. Surgical is better if drawn later in the game and you can still have t0 interaction. The option to t1 Ritual > Ashiok is still there but you have Surgical for redundancy and a lower reliance on mulligans for Leyline.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I just meant to say that in Turbo Depths its good enough to warrant 4 in the maindeck, not for Pox. I meant at least 2-3 between the main/side. If you have a metagame ripe for Needle to hose, by all means maindeck it. I wouldn't go to a tournament without at least 3 Needles for somewhere in the 75 ATM.

I try to cram Brutality in almost any deck playing black, just because it can really swing tempo so hard. In some cases you can rip the trio of effects and be way ahead, especially in an attrition strategy like Pox.

If I were to take Pox to a tournament today I would sideboard like this:

3x Pithing Needle
    4x Leyline of the Void
    2x Collective Brutality
    2x Plague Engineer
    2x Mire in Misery
    2x Liliana's Triumph

I think that would cover a bunch of matchups, and this is assuming that I would play maindeck Ratchet Bomb and Bitterblossom (at least 2 of each.) If on Innocent Blood I would cut them for Plague Engineer and Liliana's Triumph post-board. If on Fatal Push, the extra removal gets even better.

EDIT: Looking at the list you posted, I would cut 1x Ashiok for a Crucible of Worlds. I think any version playing actual Pox (the card) would benefit from 1-2 Crucible for land recursion. Also, if playing Ashiok maindeck then I would probably sideboard Surgical over Leyline. Surgical is better if drawn later in the game and you can still have t0 interaction. The option to t1 Ritual > Ashiok is still there but you have Surgical for redundancy and a lower reliance on mulligans for Leyline.
    Sounds good. I need to acquire Triumph's now. Love the freedom favor text for it. Is Ensnaring Bridge now considered obsolete?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sounds good. I need to acquire Triumph's now. Love the freedom favor text for it. Is Ensnaring Bridge now considered obsolete?
    It's not very common anymore, I haven't seen it in ages. It does a great job against Dark Depths, Reanimator, and Sneak/Show. Depending on how many of those decks you expect to face it can replace Toxic Deluge in your game plan. It's worse against Elves and Goblins, but those are pretty rare matchups in the general metagame (and that's what your Plague Engineers are for!)
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2012
    uk

so I went and splashed out on one Nether Void. What versions of pox can I make with just this one legends card (main board or sideboard)?

Has anyone done any play testing with Scroll of Fate? Does it have wheels in this deck?

I want to utilise it in this deck without having to buy a chains and a tabernacle lol.
    Currently making / Playing:

Sneak and Show
    Shortcake Painter
    Pox

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post
    so I went and splashed out on one Nether Void. What versions of pox can I make with just this one legends card (main board or sideboard)?

Has anyone done any play testing with Scroll of Fate? Does it have wheels in this deck?

I want to utilise it in this deck without having to buy a chains and a tabernacle lol.
    I run one Nether Void. I've relegated to the sideboard though.

Quote Originally Posted by amjw View Post

I haven't gotten to testing with scroll of fate yet. Right now I'm trying to make void work in a BG shell with abrupt decay and other uncounterable spells to make it more one sided. Not having great luck with it just yet, but every now and then i get a fun game out of it. Abrupt decay, nether spirit, bloodghast, manlands to get around the counterable stuff and stuff like lili, last hope to generate tokens. I haven't tried bitterblossom yet but that is probably a good way to go too. The mana base is being the problem child at the moment. Its hard enough getting black sources in mono colored, getting green in there as well is even worse.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    I haven't gotten to testing with scroll of fate yet. Right now I'm trying to make void work in a BG shell with abrupt decay and other uncounterable spells to make it more one sided. Not having great luck with it just yet, but every now and then i get a fun game out of it. Abrupt decay, nether spirit, bloodghast, manlands to get around the counterable stuff and stuff like lili, last hope to generate tokens. I haven't tried bitterblossom yet but that is probably a good way to go too. The mana base is being the problem child at the moment. Its hard enough getting black sources in mono colored, getting green in there as well is even worse.
    I think if you're going to play Scroll in Loam Pox I would get the cycle land count up a little bit (Tranquil Thicket/Barren Moor.) Dredging loam and getting back lands to convert into 2/2's is really powerful; the cycle lands allow you to dredge more often and they are great manifest fodder (they are lousy as actual land drops.) I could see 26-27 lands with 3-4 cycle lands feeding Scroll in a powerful way. Cabal Pit, Maze of Ith, and Karakas should all be in your land mix. The way to accommodate green is to just cram more lands into the deck. You want, in general, 13 initial black sources and 13 initial green sources (they overlap), then you can add in utility lands.

Here is where I would start:

4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Marsh Flats
    3x Bayou
    1x Woodland Cemetery
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Wasteland
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Cabal Pit
    2x Barren Moor
    1x Tranquil Thicket

Sideboard
    1x Karakas

It doesn't allow you to play stuff like Mishra's Factory, but that's what you have to sacrifice to make BG work. You are trading the manlands for the Loam/Cycle land interaction. You could test out the BG manland, it might be ok as a substitute that also allows you to play more green sources of mana. Crop Rotation and Entomb are both very, very powerful in this strategy. They get the lands you need or Loam/Darkblast/Bloodghast into your graveyard to start pressure your opponent's life total. EDIT#2: Cabal Therapy gets really good if you find a good mix of manlands and Bloodghast/Nether Spirit.

EDIT: Hissing Quagmire

The way I used to roll with Loam Pox was with Crop Rotation and Vampire Hexmage, but that's a different story...

I would love to see the list you're tinkering with. BG Loam Pox was one of my favorite decks back in the day.
    Brainstorm Realist

I think if you're going to play Scroll in Loam Pox I would get the cycle land count up a little bit (Tranquil Thicket/Barren Moor.) Dredging loam and getting back lands to convert into 2/2's is really powerful; the cycle lands allow you to dredge more often and they are great manifest fodder (they are lousy as actual land drops.) I could see 26-27 lands with 3-4 cycle lands feeding Scroll in a powerful way. Cabal Pit, Maze of Ith, and Karakas should all be in your land mix. The way to accommodate green is to just cram more lands into the deck. You want, in general, 13 initial black sources and 13 initial green sources (they overlap), then you can add in utility lands.

Here is where I would start:

4x Verdant Catacombs
    3x Marsh Flats
    3x Bayou
    1x Woodland Cemetery
    2x Swamp
    1x Forest
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Wasteland
    1x Maze of Ith
    1x Cabal Pit
    2x Barren Moor
    1x Tranquil Thicket

Sideboard
    1x Karakas

It doesn't allow you to play stuff like Mishra's Factory, but that's what you have to sacrifice to make BG work. You are trading the manlands for the Loam/Cycle land interaction. You could test out the BG manland, it might be ok as a substitute that also allows you to play more green sources of mana. Crop Rotation and Entomb are both very, very powerful in this strategy. They get the lands you need or Loam/Darkblast/Bloodghast into your graveyard to start pressure your opponent's life total. EDIT#2: Cabal Therapy gets really good if you find a good mix of manlands and Bloodghast/Nether Spirit.

EDIT: Hissing Quagmire

The way I used to roll with Loam Pox was with Crop Rotation and Vampire Hexmage, but that's a different story...

I would love to see the list you're tinkering with. BG Loam Pox was one of my favorite decks back in the day.

Its not good lol.
    Off the top of my head:
    27 lands:
    2 swamp
    1 forest
    4 fetch
    4 bayou
    4 wasteland
    4 factory
    1 cabal pit
    1 maze of ith
    1 bojuka bog
    4 urborg
    1 something else?

3 abrupt decay (might be 4)

4 lili of the veil
    3 lili, last hope
    2 Karn, great creator
    2 innocent blood
    2 liliana's triumph
    2 hymn
    4 iok/thoughsieze
    4 bloodghast
    1 nether spirit
    2 void
    4 smallpox

Board isn't established, but the wishboard included: ensnaring bridge, tormod's crypt, liquimetal coating, and retrofitter foundry.

The list started as Karn pox like Megucci streamed for CFB a few weeks (months?) back. He did really well on that particular run but i'm pretty sure it was because he opened almost every game with dark ritual -> lili it seemed. I tested that deck and liked slamming a void but i found it was hurting me more and i couldn't sustain the lock so I wanted to try something else.

Notes:
    - lacks card draw/filtering
    - pilot isn't very experienced with void/prison decks (lol)
    - looks like it has plenty of removal but it "feels" like it doesn't
    - my only play testing is against a midrange gruul deck where almost everything has haste. So maybe it isn't a fair play test but I think it should be a basic hurdle to be able to handle. That list below.
    - bitterblossom might be a way to go over lili last hope. Bricks X/1s all the same anyway.

To your point about loam, my previous version of pox was depths pox with loam AND entomb package and I loved it (link here). Very strong with lots of ability to dig/dredge/rotate into answers or threats and was able to close the game out quick when it needed to. I want to try the wish version of that as that might be even nastier with the inclusion of plague engineer. But right now I'm wanting to slam some voids because it just feels mean.

playtest list, from memory
    6 ball lightning variants, I think.
    3-4 thunderkin awakener
    4 Bird of paradise
    4 kird ape
    4 bolt
    4? risk factor
    4 BBE
    4 crashing footfalls
    4 strangleroot geist
    2 abrade
    2 lotus petal
    lands

So maybe its just a bad matchup to test against who knows. But i figure it has enough 2 for ones (footfalls, undying, BBE, risk factor) that it could simulate other decks cantrips and what not to a degree.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Karn could be great in the mono-black version, but green offers it's own (more efficient) options. Living Wish and Crop Rotation are almost as powerful as Karn if you aren't going for the Lattice lock. Karn is super powerful but is mana hungry; Loam Pox can accomplish that but in my opinion it isn't the best use of the color.

The best cards you could add to your list are Sylvan Library and Barren Moor. That open slot (forgotten?) should be a cycle land. You don't need 4 Urborgs, 3 is enough, so that opens up another slot for another cycle land. I am continuously reminded lately that the best thing you can do in magic is draw extra cards; as long as you aren't dead, it will help you win games eventually.

This is what I would do with the non-lands part of your list:

-1 Nether Spirit
    -2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    -2 Karn, the Great Creator

+2 Life from the Loam
    +1 Cabal Therapy
    +2 Sylvan Library
    Brainstorm Realist

I am an avid GB Loam Pox fan.
    Life from the Loam is the true card advantage engine.
    I second all of what Mr. Safety said, but in addition:

I would find room for:
    3-4x Mox Diamond
    1x Castle Locthwain
    1x Nurturing Peatland

I also like 2x Mirri's Guile, which is my replacement for Sensei's Divining Top.
    While Guile is no Top it works really well with Loam as "card filtering"... I've found it invaluable and the only way I could play GB Loam Pox.
    I also like that Guile allows you to make the decision during your upkeep before deciding whether to dredge Loam.. as opposed to Sylvan Library which requires you to decide during the draw/dredge phase.

Sidenote: Wrenn and Six is busted and would have been the perfect planeswalker for GB Pox if it was in our colors.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by streetMage View Post
    I am an avid GB Loam Pox fan.
    Life from the Loam is the true card advantage engine.
    I second all of what Mr. Safety said, but in addition:

I would find room for:
    3-4x Mox Diamond
    1x Castle Locthwain
    1x Nurturing Peatland

I also like 2x Mirri's Guile, which is my replacement for Sensei's Divining Top.
    While Guile is no Top it works really well with Loam as "card filtering"... I've found it invaluable and the only way I could play GB Loam Pox.
    I also like that Guile allows you to make the decision during your upkeep before deciding whether to dredge Loam.. as opposed to Sylvan Library which requires you to decide during the draw/dredge phase.

Sidenote: Wrenn and Six is busted and would have been the perfect planeswalker for GB Pox if it was in our colors.
    Good call on Mirri's Guile. I always avoided it because I wanted to keep myself from being too weak to Chalice@1 and because in some matchups 4 life is fine for extra cards.

EDIT: for context, I was playing a bunch of 1-drops that would get nullified (Innocent Blood, Thougthseize, Cabal Therapy, Crop Rotation) so the exposure was higher than what ronco is playing. Sylvan at 2 was a curve consideration.

Sorry to sabotage the conversation, but I genuinely think Arcum's Astrolabe and Snow-covered Swamps should be a serious consideration in mono-black Pox. It allows your many colorless lands to make black mana while providing card draw. Dead of Winter seems very, very good as well.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information