Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226
Results 4,501 to 4,507 of 4507

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by AruSulato View Post
    Hi,
    Played a tournament in France with BG pOX with the list below, ~60 players and finish 3-4rd. The list is strong and has answered near everything.
    Thanks for sharing your list! Since you had success with the list, I had some questions:

1. There are only 4 win conditions maindeck, and 1 sideboard. Is closing out a game ever a problem for you? Or do you simply find win conditions easier with tutors?

2. I see you only run two planeswalkers. Do you not consider Liliana of the Veil that important?

3. When exactly do you board in Akuta, Born of Ashes?

Hi Brad,

Ok, :

-1 : Closing out a game never be a problem in any game, even against Miracles where I sided out both Nether Spirit and the Brownscale because of STP. The thing is dredging Loam bring you naturally your threats in the gyard and you always find them. Also, you have Entomb to find them. Against all the match-up that didn't run white for STP, Nether Spirit and the Brownscale are efficient enough. Remember that you also run Cabal Pit and Darkblast so even a Gurmag don't stay long in defense when you have controlled the board. 4 life per turn is what you want, you just have to combine 2 threats.

-2 : It's weird to say that Liliana of the Veil is not THAT important, in fact it's half true. Think a time of playing a third, but I really think that in my list, two is the right number. Someone make me considere a Liliana last hope in sideboard and it's probably a good card to test. I can only add that, after playtest a lot, most of the time you want a Liliana when you've already controlled the board and not before. So you don't need to have one in your opening. You're also running 3x SmallPox that make quite the same effect. I think it's not an error to play a third, I just think it's not an absolute necessity or auto-include.

-3 : Akuta is here to add some pressure against deck like ANT where controlling just the hand isn't good enough. You have to add more pressure until they assemble combo pieces. So I bring it in against combo match-up like ANT, Sneak&Show and Reanimator. Also, it's not bad against non-white Jace deck like Grixis Control (with entomb you can surprisingly kill a Jace). Probably I bring it in also against MUD match-ups and Burn. The big problem sometimes is that it requires you to have more cards in hand than your opponent the time you want to reanimate it, so you have to considere keeping more lands in hand and/or dredging loam-cast loam to have a ~full grip. If you have a better card to advise, I take it ;-) (Centaur Vinecrusher isn't one of them ;-)

++

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Smart of you to find Akuta. I have toyed with it in the mono B deck, but it is clear the right place for it is in your loam deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

There is also Rot Farm Skeleton which does a similar thing, but I don't have any experience with Loam versions so I'm not sure which would be easier to return

Rot Farm Skeleton
    2BG Plant Skeleton
    4/1
    Rot Farm Skeleton can't block
    2BG, Put the top 4 cards of your library into your graveyard: Return Rot Farm Skeleton from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    There is also Rot Farm Skeleton which does a similar thing, but I don't have any experience with Loam versions so I'm not sure which would be easier to return
    Four mana is a lot. I toyed with it in EDH where mana is opulent, but in Legacy while you're playing Smallpox it's not exactly efficient. I tried Gigapede, which doesn't require any mana to get back, but was still hard to cast at five mana. Undead Gladiator was actually decent because it had an alternative use as a cycler, but a slower clock.

One of my favorite interactions for BG Pox is Eternal Witness + Unearth. It's just so good! Abysmally slow as a clock though.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Quote Originally Posted by AruSulato View Post
    ..Akuta is here to add some pressure against deck like ANT where controlling just the hand isn't good enough. You have to add more pressure until they assemble combo pieces. So I bring it in against combo match-up like ANT, Sneak&Show and Reanimator. Also, it's not bad against non-white Jace deck like Grixis Control (with entomb you can surprisingly kill a Jace). ..
    I usto run 2x Bloodghast as my free creature option.. pretty good at closing the game where you'd want Akuta imo...

Bloodghast is the easiest way, it just somehow a lit bit weak to add pressure if you only bring one to the battlefield. I have to reconsidere my entire strategy (turn it more agro-control and plaiying at least three bloodghast, which is a way to explore), but if I want to keep this deck a straight control/prison deck, I'm probably try to find at least a 3-power creature that can be fetch with entomb.

Akuta seems per default the best option, but Undead Gladiator is probably a bullet to test also, it has some nice capacities sygergizing with the rest of the list, maybe a lit bit slow (wait for the upkeep and pay 1B, then cast it).

I considere also playing three Tarmos in the sideboard.

Thread Information