Page 212 of 263 FirstFirst ... 112162202208209210211212213214215216222262 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,240 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Could someone please collect the answers for us? I am on the phone right know so it is hard to do it myself.
    I got you boo.

Dark Ritual
    Yes / Yes / Nahhh / No / Yes / Maybe
    If you want.

Card Draw
    Yes / Yes / Yes / No? / No / Yes
    Probably.

Sinkhole
    No / No / No / Maybe / Yes / No
    Probably not.

Delve
    Yes / Yes / Sure / Sure / Yes / Sure
    Yeah.
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

Quote Originally Posted by naynay666 View Post
    I got you boo.

Dark Ritual
    Yes / Yes / Nahhh / No / Yes / Maybe
    If you want.

Card Draw
    Yes / Yes / Yes / No? / No / Yes
    Probably.

Sinkhole
    No / No / No / Maybe / Yes / No
    Probably not.

Delve
    Yes / Yes / Sure / Sure / Yes / Sure
    Yeah.

Just a few thoughts about Sinkhole.
    OK, it does very little on its own, but it is a great part of my very effective "you won't play anything" package :
    4 Wasteland + 1 Crucible
    1 Tabernacle
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    1 Pox
    2 Nether Void + 1 tutor
    1 Chains (I would play a 2nd in the SB if I could)

I tried it at home against my other decks (Dragon Stompy, Eldrazi, Miracles, Sultai Control, Enchantress and a Mono-green aggro) and won all matches (probably with some luck, but still).
    The game pattern is simple :
    Either you stabilize the board / clear hand before freezing everithing with NV (as soon as turn 2)
    Or you directly go Wasteland / Sinkhole before they can land anything, and then NV
    In both cases you finish with Mishra or Totem (forget about Curse scroll)
    I enjoyed running 4 Dark Rituals in this specific build. I was lucky enough to see a NV in almost every match, and each time it was a powerhouse.
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

That kind of build have been successful in the past. Regrettably few players have two Nether Voids to put in their decks.

This made me thinking about what types of Pox decks there are.

Classic Pox - runs two Nether Void

LoamPox - Loam and Smallpox. Cool but Lands is a better deck.

Control Pox - Smallpox only. Tries to lock out the opponent using cursed scroll and Crucible of the worlds.

Japanese Pox - attrition style deck. No Crucible and few Hymn to tourach.

Rack Pox - Runs the rack or shrieking affliction. Also plays four Pox and four Smallpox.

Have i missed any?
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

That kind of build have been successful in the past. Regrettably few players have two Nether Voids to put in their decks.

Control Pox - Smallpox only. Tries to lock out the opponent using cursed scroll and Crucible of the worlds.

Rack Pox - Runs the rack or shrieking affliction. Also plays four Pox and four Smallpox.

Have i missed any?
    Vaka Pox. Runs answers to everything almost like a Rock deck through Vindicate. Keeping land on field is near impossible between Wasteland, Sinkhole, Smallpox, Pox, Liliana ultimate, Vindicate, and/or Armaggeddon. Older build though. Hasn't won tournaments lately.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Have i missed any?
    I think you may have missed the aggro version, focused on bloodghasts.

Sometimes I wonder if different primers wouldn't be usefull... from one build to another, we want to do very different things with different cards !

Otherwise, without an accurate context, it is difficult to discuss the value of a specific cards. Exemples :
    How good is Curse scroll ? It depends. Do you play NV ?
    How good is Night of soul betrayal ? It depends. Do you play Bloodgast ?
    etc etc...

Maybe at least the following 4 ?
    Classic / Control / JapanSecretTech Pox
    LoamPox
    Rack Pox
    AggroPox
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Maybe this:

Original Pox - Played long before the printing of Smallpox it included cards like Chimeric Idol, and no planeswalkers.

Classic Pox - built around the expensive cards Nether Void, The Abyss and Chains of Mephistopheles.

Control Pox - As above but tries do the job with cheaper cards. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, is a key card.

BG Pox - Green splash for good stuff, like Life from the Loam, Sylvan Library and Abrupt Decay. AKA "Loam Pox".

WB Pox - White splash for good stuff, like vindicate and Lingering Souls. AKA "Vaka Pox".

RB Pox - Red is a natural color adjunct to Black. Cards used are Blood Moon and Kolaghan's Command

Aggro Pox - Aka Rack Pox. Runs both Pox and Smallpox, The Rack and/or Shrieking Affliction and Bloodghasts.

I wanted to mention the original Pox here. While not played nowadays i figure it would work OK. Also I designated the types with their splash colors.

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

One of my favorite parts of Pox is the fluidity of it all. Most decks have flex slots- we just so happen to have a lot of them. I am currently jamming 8 Walkers behind 2 MD Bridges and have been loving it. Loampox absolutely needed it’s own primer but everything Monoblack should stay under the umbrella of Pox. Screw it even a white or red splash is still enough on the original warpath to merit inclusion. Splitting them into more than just the Pox thread hurts the Pox thread.
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

bruizar

Have i missed any?

Storm Pox, an RB Pox build with Blightning, Rack, Hymn to Tourach, Burning Wish and Storm World.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    Storm Pox, an RB Pox build with Blightning, Rack, Hymn to Tourach, Burning Wish and Storm World.
    That probably goes under the Rack Pox category.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

One of my favorite parts of Pox is the fluidity of it all. Most decks have flex slots- we just so happen to have a lot of them. I am currently jamming 8 Walkers behind 2 MD Bridges and have been loving it. Loampox absolutely needed it’s own primer but everything Monoblack should stay under the umbrella of Pox. Screw it even a white or red splash is still enough on the original warpath to merit inclusion. Splitting them into more than just the Pox thread hurts the Pox thread.
    Yes, there is that problem. Otoh, the decks are quite different in how they work.
    Maybe it would help popularity by showing the variety by having several threads.

You don't even know if this is true, it's possible (read: likely) that there is 1 viable list far better than the others but people keep playing all sorts of different cards because they don't know any better / don't care
    Multiple threads is a terrible idea

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    You don't even know if this is true, it's possible (read: likely) that there is 1 viable list far better than the others but people keep playing all sorts of different cards because they don't know any better / don't care
    Multiple threads is a terrible idea
    Technically, few people run Pox anymore. The Archetype is Liliana Smallpox now It's a shame about Mishra's vs. Chimeric Idol. I really liked how the idol worked with spells. But my willingness to win outweighs my desire for fun cards in deck. Perhaps they'll print a Chimeric "something" in the future that's not as mana hungry as what we have now. Not likely
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

I love Chains in the current meta.
    It is great against blue cantrips, Leovold, Strix, Probe, Jace, Sylvan Library, Tireless tracker, Glimpse, Faithless looting, Griselbrand...

I was wondering : could it be even better, combined with this good old (odd ?) Word of Command ?
    This card can achieve great things ("I force you to play Toxic Deluge, paying 20 life. You lose.") but it is very, very situationnal, thus not played.
    But forcing the opponent to Brainstorm under a Chains could be very common (more than 50% of competitive legacy decks run the full BS playset) and quite interesting : Discard 1, draw1, discard 1, draw 1, discard 1, draw 1, put 2 on top : on the whole we trade 1 WoC against 1 BS and 2 cards (3 for 1).

Is it enough to make WoC playable as a 1-of maindeck ? Not sure, but I want to try !

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Technically, few people run Pox anymore. The Archetype is Liliana Smallpox now It's a shame about Mishra's vs. Chimeric Idol. I really liked how the idol worked with spells. But my willingness to win outweighs my desire for fun cards in deck. Perhaps they'll print a Chimeric "something" in the future that's not as mana hungry as what we have now. Not likely
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Loampox absolutely needed it’s own primer but everything Monoblack should stay under the umbrella of Pox..
    I agree that Loam Pox (BG version) needs its own thread... However, I feel people would conflate the idea with Lands or Jund Depths.

Its more similar to Jund Depths except it drops red/Punishing Fire and doesn't rely on Depths combo (although some can still run it).

I'm still tweaking and trying to figure out a solid list for a potential primer, but this has become significantly more difficult due to the banning of Sensei's Divining Top.

Here are a few top8 lists from various tournaments:

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=7755&d=244627&f=LE (my inspiration for the archetype, Josh Edelstein Top8 SCG list)
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14378&d=285961&f=LE (my old list I 5-0'd with on mtgo)
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17049&d=305464&f=LE
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15844&d=297267&f=LE
    http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17148&d=306075&f=LE

So what do you guys think, should BG Loam Pox have its own primer?
    Anyone here really interested/have something they are competing with?

Would love to here from people like Josh Edelstein, James Martens and Teodor Sundberg...

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I would argue that Loam Pox doesn't need its own thread, just clarification when posting. The most popular version is mono-black, mostly because once you dedicate to Loam there are better decks available (agro loam, lands.)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    I love Chains in the current meta.
    It is great against blue cantrips, Leovold, Strix, Probe, Jace, Sylvan Library, Tireless tracker, Glimpse, Faithless looting, Griselbrand...

I was wondering : could it be even better, combined with this good old (odd ?) Word of Command ?
    This card can achieve great things ("I force you to play Toxic Deluge, paying 20 life. You lose.") but it is very, very situationnal, thus not played.
    But forcing the opponent to Brainstorm under a Chains could be very common (more than 50% of competitive legacy decks run the full BS playset) and quite interesting : Discard 1, draw1, discard 1, draw 1, discard 1, draw 1, put 2 on top : on the whole we trade 1 WoC against 1 BS and 2 cards (3 for 1).

Is it enough to make WoC playable as a 1-of maindeck ? Not sure, but I want to try !
    A two card combo that does not win the game on the spot is just casual gaming.
    Legacy is highly competitive and fun things need to fit that constraint.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Definitely playable. I suspect the move away from Chimeric Idol also meant less interest for this, later, card.

Thread Information