Page 254 of 263 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    He's saying Cling is better than Kroxa, which is debatable. It might be a better effect in the metagame but Kroxa is definitely a more powerful card than Cling to Dust.
    Maybe he worded it poorly, but if (C-K)>(U-K) -> C>U.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Maybe he worded it poorly, but if (C-K)>(U-K) -> C>U.
    Uro and Kroxa are in different decks, so you end up immediately playing from behind versus the legacy format if you're on Kroxa. Knowing that you're against Uro, and Uro is that much better, your Kroxa should be Cling. So Kroxa is worse than Uro, and playing Kroxa over Cling is a doubly worse decision.

Pox is not a deck with an inherent way of dictating how a game will go, so you really don't have any tempo reservoir to pull from when you pull out a janky 6/6 that attacks a resource you don't care about (life total). The early game is the problem for Pox, and Cling is the card that will provide disruption and consistency towards the 3-4cmc plan. With Pox you're already critically low on CA and lifegain, and you know where people are going for value looping: the GY (Uro, Sanctuary, Dreadhorde, SCM, etc).

Any time someone brings up Kroxa we really need to point out that Delver plays Bolt (life total under pressure), Wasteland (vs Badlands for Kroxa, so falling especially far behind), and the card they discard is just going to get flashed back by a Dreadhorde. If you never wanted to survive to cast a 3-4cmc spell [right into Daze], then Kroxa has your back.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Technically, Kroxa is a 2 turn clock after Mishra's Factory or Cursed Scroll hits you and both players are hellbent. And if you're running Kroxa, there's nothing stopping you from running lightning bolts either.

I tested Kroxa Pox and a few variants of it. It didn't take long to just abandon the idea and go Hogaak Pox.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GmejbCdAqc

Here is a recent video of me playing old fuddy Pox to middling success. I still think the deck has answers to just about everything, but with exactly zero was to sequence those answers, you're left at the mercy of the deck to RNG you up the cards in order... something I've always struggled with, if that could even be considered a thing. Either way; I'll continue to defiantly yell at clouds, so if anybody is interested in this stuff, let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

Here is a recent video of me playing old fuddy Pox to middling success. I still think the deck has answers to just about everything, but with exactly zero was to sequence those answers, you're left at the mercy of the deck to RNG you up the cards in order... something I've always struggled with, if that could even be considered a thing. Either way; I'll continue to defiantly yell at clouds, so if anybody is interested in this stuff, let me know.
    Always cool to see Pox on camera. Surprised by the amount of random one ofs and low land count normally Pox does best with redundancy of some sort because there isn't quality card selection in the archtype, you have to rely on just drawing them. Deck self taxes itself so 21 lands really becomes a liability. Congrats on the win though.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just watched this last night! Pretty hyped to see TheSource playmat!!!
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

No comments for nearly two weeks? Anyways I’m going to talk about my results this year with Smallpox decks.

Coming into 2021, I’ll still be playing Smallpox decks in Magic.

Highlights of this year:

Modern
    1st Place Weekly Event - 8 Rack
    ManaTraders Phase Two Qualification 8-2 - Orzhov Smallpox

Legacy
    2 1st Place Weekly Event - Pox
    ManaTraders Phase Two Qualification 14-6 - Pox
    MTGO Leagues 5 4-1s (no 5-0 unfortunately)

Also recently due to poor performance in 3 Leagues in a row I have dropped under a 50+% win rate I had in MTGO Leagues. People have even discussed how MTGO Leagues are like day one of a MagicFest so I’m not too surprised how I lost so many in my last 3 events.
    Last edited by BlogBoy; 12-25-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBoy View Post
    No comments for nearly two weeks? Anyways I’m going to talk about my results this year with Smallpox decks.

Coming into 2021, I’ll still be playing Smallpox decks in Magic.

Highlights of this year:

Modern
    1st Place Weekly Event - 8 Rack
    ManaTraders Phase Two Qualification 8-2 - Orzhov Smallpox

Legacy
    2 1st Place Weekly Event - Pox
    ManaTraders Phase Two Qualification 14-6 - Pox
    MTGO Leagues 5 4-1s (no 5-0 unfortunately)

Also recently due to poor performance in 3 Leagues in a row I have dropped under a 50+% win rate I had in MTGO Leagues. People have even discussed how MTGO Leagues are like day one of a MagicFest so I’m not too surprised how I lost so many in my last 3 events.
    Glad someone is doing still the pox work during the Uro era :)
    "Everything is better topless"

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Treasure Map and Sunset Pyramid are so close to being exactly what Pox needs. I was so frustrated with Pox's inability to filter cards that I went down the rabbit hole of Lantern of Insight. It's certainly fun, but it's challenging to balance out the synergies and still look somewhat like a Pox deck.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

Mazemind Tome is what you're looking for @Mr.Safety. Has lifegain as well, while putting itself back into the Karn wish zone.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

That is indeed a better option, I actually kinda like it. It's even at 2 mana so if I wanted to play Chalice of the Void I could.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Went 3-1 again tonight with the same old list.

Played against TinFins that transformed into Doomsday and lost in 3.
    Beat Eldrazi in 3 with Nether Spirit being the bestest blocker evar with Liliana coming in to mop up afterwards and The Abyss making an appearance one game to keep him for keeping any creatures
    Beam Turbo Depths in 2 with quick pressure on lands and lots of running sacrifice effects to match up well with his discard. Maze of Ith in the opening hand game 1 was welcome.
    Game 4 was a crazy close game against Death's Shadow, we hit each other a bunch in game 3, with Blast Zone coming down to wipe his board and a Winter Orb slowing up both down. Eventually he is at 1 and a clutch Cling to Dust on upkeep to dodge Force of Negation keeps me alive. He's stuck with unplayable Force of Wills and a Thoughtseize putting me to 2 shows the coast is clear for a lethal Smallpox. Lots of different lines could have gone either way, so hardly a decisive victory, but definitely finished the night in Pox style.

Still happy with the list.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

No greater thrill than winning with Smallpox when they are at 1 life. Nicely done! Gone are the days of Pox blowing out other decks, there is just too much resilience in the format and truthfully there is just too much value in all of the modern cards. I think if you want to be successful with Pox it will have to be in leveraging small advantages over the game. Were you playing Ensnaring Bridge? I'm convinced that card is fairly crucial to locking up games with Pox in the current metagame.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I am not running it currently.
    I would need to adjust out of combat win conditions to avoid self inflicted losses (besides the usual ones). I currently have only a single Cursed Scroll, and no way to leverage Ensnaring Bridge profitably like a Karn build could.
    That being said I would not call this local meta a healthy representation of decks, if there even still is a thing. There are a few mainstays, but lots of new "meme" decks like Curse Stompy (4~5 of 30 players) compared to just UR Delver or SnOko Goodstuff. It's basically all the youtube MODO players with their weekly donation decks, except instead of playing against the format, they're all playing each other. When the Zendikar Rising lands came out, I'd say a quarter of the room was on Oops All Spells.

If there are any observations that can be extrapolated out, it is that for a lot of weeks now, Veil of Summer is not a common sight. Out of the sideboard for some decks, but usually those that leverage them akin to Pact of Negation to win counterwars on game ending stacks like Eureka Tell or Rainbow TES. But even then it's 2-3 copies since they're not looking for them in opening hands. So the most used answer to Hymn remains Daze and Force of Will, sometimes Spell Peirce. That's just been good news for Pox.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

A modified Andrea Mengucci deck design. Sideboard was tweaked a bit, but with the current bannings, it's more effective now. Eliminate lost some of it's fire in an environment without Oko. Uro is still a problem and you'll want more GY hate. I'll swap one Cling to Dust for Surgical Extraction depending on more tests.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3506677#online

It feels weird with so many lands but the cantrip power is undeniable.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

That is the style of list I think is good (well, good for a Pox deck)
    With the Oko ban it's more reasonable again to play stuff like Cursed Scroll, Ensnaring Bridge, Crucible of Worlds etc e.g. instead of the second Last Hope or trim 1-2 discard/removal

Feb 2016
    Spain

Hi guys.

Do you think that 0 copies of Hymn to Tourach is correct?

Thanks.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Reivaj View Post
    Hi guys.

Do you think that 0 copies of Hymn to Tourach is correct?

Thanks.
    I think it is if you're going after the lands. 4 Sinkholes is pain. Going after the key cards is better since we have up to four Locthwains for card advantage.

Edit: on 2nd thought, no hymns is a problem against storm combo. Figure out your meta and make your decision.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Figure out your meta and make your decision.
    But Sho that's hard :<

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

But Sho that's hard :<
    If MtG was easy, we'd be tier 1!! I've found 6 1-cmc discard to be too much so I've modified the deck in the previous link to run Eliminate which kills that which unkicked Bloodchief's Thirst can't kill. 12+ removal is hot. Sideboard is still WIP. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by OmniStrata; 03-04-2021 at 07:27 PM. Reason: details

Thread Information