Page 246 of 263 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,920 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Would Black Vise + Howling Mine + Sphere of Resistance/Trinisphere/Nether Void be asking too much? Can someone remember why the Vise was banned ages ago and why it was unbanned?
    Going first used to be a bigger advantage since you would draw on your first turn. Also mulligan rules were less flexible so you were often stuck with mediocre opening hands. Remember this was also back when you could play Sol Ring and 4 Strip Mines. Each first turn Black Vise could consistently deal 7-9 damage, a good rate even by today's standards.

Remember that Legacy basically inherited Type 1's B/R list.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jiazhouhuaqiao View Post
    Going first used to be a bigger advantage since you would draw on your first turn. Also mulligan rules were less flexible so you were often stuck with mediocre opening hands. Remember this was also back when you could play Sol Ring and 4 Strip Mines. Each first turn Black Vise could consistently deal 7-9 damage, a good rate even by today's standards.

Remember that Legacy basically inherited Type 1's B/R list.
    yeah, i played type 1 mostly back then. strip mine and wasteland were playable at the same time (tempest?)
    dark ritual was a mana source so you could cast dark ritual through your own nether void.

there were no fetchlands to make perfect mana and black vise was "sort of" cheese wins.
    land destruction decks became the "feels bad" to new players.
    some of this ^^ i'm a little vague on the dates and whatnot

my list was something like this:
    4x wasteland
    4x strip mine
    4x sinkhole
    4x nether void
    4 juzaam djinn
    4x dark ritual
    4x hypnotic specter
    8x pro-white pump knights
    2x nevinnyrral's disk
    1x regrowth
    1x ancestral
    1x timewalk
    1x mox jet
    1x mox emerald
    1x mox sapphire
    1x black lotus

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Update on Lantern brew: I nabbed a set of Salvage Titan to test with Wishclaw talisman. I don't think I can do anything tricky with it because Titan doesn't have flash. There may be a way to work a sacrifice outlet to avoid opponents gaining control of it. I also dug out an old combo from my early days of magic: Tel-Jilad Stylus and Avarice Totem. The idea is to trade permanents, then activate Stylus to put Totem/Talisman onto the bottom of my library. This turns it into a 1-sided effect. It's going deep, and the jank is at 11, but damn it seems fun.

Anyone know of any cheaply costed artifact sacrifice outlets? Arcbound Ravager is the only one I can think of.

Edit: costly plunder is interesting, as well as grinding station.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    It's going deep, and the jank is at 11,
    guardian beast and wishclaw talisman? i still want to try that after seeing a sweet nic-fit list several months back

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

While it is a sweet interaction, I don't think I will be shelling out $300/copy for an obscure Arabian Nights card. If I had that kind of cash I would be investing in Nether Void.

Currently I like this approach:

1) Cut off searching with Ashiok, Dream Render
    2) Keep them off resources so tutoring doesn't add up to anything
    3) Possibly using Grinding Station to enable the artifact/Lantern package. It mills better than Shredder/Bell, makes Talisman one-sided, and allows stuff like the 2nd Mox Opal to mill for free. Playing fast is crucial to Lantern decks, and generally for Pox decks as well. This will allow the mill plan to be more genuine of a win-condition.
    4) Try Tel-Jilad Stylus out as an enabler for Totem/Talisman if the above doesn't pan out.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Could Nether Void fit into Lantern Pox?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Could Nether Void fit into Lantern Pox?
    i'm gonna try something; i'd even buy into MTGO.
    i'm hoping to get the band back together...

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Hell yeah! I can't tell you how tempting it is to jam 4x hyppie into this brew. Swap sinkholes for hymns and just destroy, all the while controlling top-decks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

WHAT is Gloom!? Hot shyte! Ancient School methods.

Is there a way to delete a deck in your deck collection page in mtggoldfish?
    Last edited by OmniStrata; 05-27-2020 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Another Question
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I made a new thread for my aberration of a deck, here it is if anyone is interested:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...79#post1084579

I strayed pretty far away from traditional Pox, so I decided to make a new thread. Lantern tech in Pox still seems good, I just went a lot deeper to the point that it really wasn't pox anymore. Comments welcome!
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Vanish 1B

Instant

Destroy target creature or planeswalker with converted mana cost 3 or less.

Well, they finally did it. I can't see how this doesn't become an immediate Pox staple from here on out.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Vanish 1B

Instant

Destroy target creature or planeswalker with converted mana cost 3 or less.

Well, they finally did it. I can't see how this doesn't become an immediate Pox staple from here on out.
    A Smother that can hit Planeswalkers!? Now what to cut? Make a 62 card deck? It's coming on scryfall.com as Dementor's Prey.
    Last edited by OmniStrata; 06-08-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Updated info

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

A Smother that can hit Planeswalkers!? Now what to cut? Make a 62 card deck? It's coming on scryfall.com as Dementor's Prey.
    Some number of Fatal Push/Innocent Blood. It adds a mana to a removal, but it does more in general and gets around Chalice@1. I like it quite a bit. If there's one card you don't want to see across the table it's Oko.
    Brainstorm Realist

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Some number of Fatal Push/Innocent Blood.
    if you start dropping the one-drops, why not go a little further and run chalice and smallpox and the "new smother"
    you can even splash green or not

http://old.starcitygames.com/decks/122050

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    if you start dropping the one-drops, why not go a little further and run chalice and smallpox and the "new smother"
    you can even splash green or not

http://old.starcitygames.com/decks/122050
    I tend to agree! If I had Chalices I would test it out. I don't know if its worth losing Thoughtseize and Dark Ritual, but it's definitely an avenue.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

It's literally just a 3/2 for 1GG as a threat in the sideboard. *sigh* I really want to call 'bullshit', but the companion mechanic is just that good.
    Brainstorm Realist

It's literally just a 3/2 for 1GG as a threat in the sideboard. *sigh* I really want to call 'bullshit', but the companion mechanic is just that good.
    If we want to get super cute, it also pumps up Mutavaults. VALUE TOWN!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I totally missed that interaction. Congratulations, they just worked harder for a Mishra's Factory. But still, free 8th card...companions are stupid.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

HHNNGGHH... I could see replacing one Liliana of the Veil with her... I love how this one can kill you behind an Ensnaring Bridge.

Thread Information