Page 218 of 263 FirstFirst ... 118168208214215216217218219220221222228 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Thanks!! I had a good time playing it.

1) From the testing I was able to do, Even with the urborgs I couldn't support 8 non black mana sources and reliably get my BB and BBB spells, so I decided to cut either the wasteland or factories. I don't have enough experience to make good decisions on my own yet, but I went with the factories. I am glad crucible got a reprint though, I have exactly 0.
    2) That was in the small stack of cards I wanted to try and work in. Thought it was kind of a no-go with ghast. Had kind of the same thoughts with syphon life in the board for a burn matchup. I think if I take this a different route and go prison style (bridges, nether spirit instead of ghast, etc) then this becomes much stronger.
    3) I'd like to do that eventually. I've got a long way to go on that, unfortunately, but I do have 1 chains. I played around with the budet version of these cards (trinisphere, torment of scarabs, etc and really liked it). Correctly or not, this is a deck I've liked since I've started (1997 ish) so I don't think sinking money in this will be a fleeting decision. Unlike my foray into 5c piles lol.

Also, in case it matters for pox posterity, the first person I played on enchantress was different from the person I played in the practice game before the tourney.
    You made a good judgement call with the factories. You already have 12 win conditions in the deck so you can do without them.. Mishra's are best when you run things like Nether Nether Void or Nevinyrral's Disk. And Crucible of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    You made a good judgement call with the factories. You already have 12 win conditions in the deck so you can do without them.. Mishra's are best when you run things like Nether Nether Void or Nevinyrral's Disk. And Crucible of course.
    It's also better with Crucible/Cursed Scroll, where you can use the colorless mana. I forget that Pox and Factory are awkward. You made the right call if you're committed to 4x Pox.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Currently playing on untap and have just played vs two dredgers. Leyline of the Void make it an auto win. My Nihiliths become slow but no matter.

Lands is as healthy as ever however, and saw I several at the local LGS. I therefore think i will go the blood sun route a while. Dark Depths is too good. Got to stop it or it is GG.
    To the point: I think DD decks have become stronger after the ban.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Currently playing on untap and have just played vs two dredgers. Leyline of the Void make it an auto win. My Nihiliths become slow but no matter.

Lands is as healthy as ever however, and saw I several at the local LGS. I therefore think i will go the blood sun route a while. Dark Depths is too good. Got to stop it or it is GG.
    To the point: I think DD decks have become stronger after the ban.
    Against Dredge, I mull very aggressively to find one of my 3 Leylines (down to 3 cards if needed). When it hits the board, it is an auto concede for the opponent.

Concerning Depths decks : maybe it is time to put back in my MD Beseech package 1 Pithing needle and 1 Ensnaring bridge. Will that be enough ? not sure...
    If there are too many Lands / Turbo Depths players post ban, I will simply play Mono Red Prison or RW D&T !

Florian
    Pox -- Miracles -- Lands -- Candelabra Enchantress -- Dragon Stompy -- Eldrazi Stompy -- Sultai Control

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Anyone brewing Premodern Pox?

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

Premodern: heard the words before but never though of it. Might be interesting.

Yesterday I stopped by an event that I couldn't make it to on time. Bummed I couldn't make it but: dayrate > mtg. 46 people attending a 2k at Top Deck Games in Jersey with a very diverse room. Reanimators, Miracles, 12Post, RUGs, Mono-Red, Sneaks, Elves, a dickton of SFM, most everything else remotely competent, and a fellow Poxer. He beat RUG Delver 2-0 and afterward we talked Pox.

He was on a no ritual, yes sinkhole, Crucible, 10 Swamps, 3 Urborgs, Wastelands + GQ, Probably Factories, a Bog, Maze, 2 Tabernacles, 2 Sol-Cities and 2 Smokestack list. Skimming through the deck there was some spice. To the Slaughter seems versatile and could probably hit Delirium pretty easily. The coolest part was the lone Haunting Echoes. It might seems expensive initially but becomes more effective the longer the game goes and is probably made stronger with Sinkholes and Wastelands. I won't try it out immediately but eventually. The other fun piece was a lone Skeletal Scrying. It seems like the most fun you can have eot with our deck.

Has anybody has any success with To the Slaughter, Haunting Echoes or Skeletal Scrying?
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

I've played all three cards that you mentioned in a similiar deck and from my experience, the only one that is worth consideration is Scrying, but only as a 2 of at most. To the slaughter is too conditional and 3 mana edicts are simply bad in an environment where people create tokens (Pyromancer, Rabblemaster, Mentor etc.) or drop a big number of creatures. Haunting Echoes just doesn't do enough at 5 Mana and can sometimes even help your opponent by filtering all the useless crap (nonbasic lands!) from his deck in the lategame. Scrying is strong but the lifeloss can be inconvenient.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I tried To the Slaughter in the side against Dark Depths. It worked well for that but would have been better replaced by Diabolic Edict. The delirium was hard to get in my build.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Blood Scrivener does Work! Subbed him for Bob from that OzmanOzguney list with 4 in the sideboard. Was planning to test Asylum Visitor, but her triggers effectively kill each other off, they don't stack. Zombie wizard yanked me cards and 2 cards with 2 on field for two life. Was tempted by the visitor due to the nice 3 power but losing extra draw triggers when stacking sux. I guess she only works in multi player games where multiple hell bent players can feed you...
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

That’s pretty cool to hear but I have always wondered when seeing those lists- when do you bring in 4 bobs?
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by naynay666 View Post
    That’s pretty cool to hear but I have always wondered when seeing those lists- when do you bring in 4 bobs?
    Against slow decks that effectively get to turn 10. He is the true control killer. Bob would burn too much of my HP and wallet. Blood Scrivener is a combo with Liliana of the Veil and Cursed Scroll too!
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

@Premodern: I've just built my first deck, GB Survival (like the rock but with deeds in the side) and planning to bring it next thursday to a tournament. I'll ask other players what do they think about Pox in premodern and let you know.
    BTW, does anyone already has a list?
    Ignorance is strength

Quote Originally Posted by ParisFlorian View Post
    Against Dredge, I mull very aggressively to find one of my 3 Leylines (down to 3 cards if needed). When it hits the board, it is an auto concede for the opponent.
    How is Leyline of the Void an auto-concede for a Dredge player with a prepared sideboard? I think you're overestimating the card against LED Dredge, which, in the hands of an opponent with a properly-built sideboard can handle the card - in multiples, no less.

Also, if you're mulling to three, in all likelihood you won't have any turn-one interaction with a Dredge player, which buys them a few turns to find an answer or just play out threats from their hand.

Premodern: heard the words before but never though of it. Might be interesting.

Yesterday I stopped by an event that I couldn't make it to on time. Bummed I couldn't make it but: dayrate > mtg. 46 people attending a 2k at Top Deck Games in Jersey with a very diverse room. Reanimators, Miracles, 12Post, RUGs, Mono-Red, Sneaks, Elves, a dickton of SFM, most everything else remotely competent, and a fellow Poxer. He beat RUG Delver 2-0 and afterward we talked Pox.

He was on a no ritual, yes sinkhole, Crucible, 10 Swamps, 3 Urborgs, Wastelands + GQ, Probably Factories, a Bog, Maze, 2 Tabernacles, 2 Sol-Cities and 2 Smokestack list. Skimming through the deck there was some spice. To the Slaughter seems versatile and could probably hit Delirium pretty easily. The coolest part was the lone Haunting Echoes. It might seems expensive initially but becomes more effective the longer the game goes and is probably made stronger with Sinkholes and Wastelands. I won't try it out immediately but eventually. The other fun piece was a lone Skeletal Scrying. It seems like the most fun you can have eot with our deck.

Has anybody has any success with To the Slaughter, Haunting Echoes or Skeletal Scrying?
    I stopped by as well (only a few minutes from my house) but unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to play. I would have been on G/B Loam Pox... I haven't settled on what to swap for DRS yet, tho...

Top Deck runs some pretty good tournaments and gets plenty of people to attend.

With regard to Skeletal Scrying, it's never been included in my list, but there was a point where I used to run sign in blood. I didn't always draw the cards --- the 2 points of life would sometimes be used as a bit of reach to finish the opponent. The card draw is definitely welcome considering we end up in top deck mode often and a late game hymn doesn't really do much...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    How is Leyline of the Void an auto-concede for a Dredge player with a prepared sideboard? I think you're overestimating the card against LED Dredge, which, in the hands of an opponent with a properly-built sideboard can handle the card - in multiples, no less.

Also, if you're mulling to three, in all likelihood you won't have any turn-one interaction with a Dredge player, which buys them a few turns to find an answer or just play out threats from their hand.
    a) The plan-A of pox is such an auto-lose strategy vs Dredge that Pox is incentivised to mulligan to a hate card more than other decks
    b) Once you have mulliganed to like 5 without a hate card you are kind of priced into still mulliganing into it, because your chances of beating dredge playing pox with 5 in hand and no hate card are pretty abysmal
    c) Dredge literally can't beat an in-play Leyline (Most decks aren't going to lose to hardcast 2-mana 1/1s, especially Pox)
    d) Some dredge players don't even play anti-GYhate cards in the Feldman philosophy
    e) The Pox deck has no clock even with 7 cards so the dredge player is always going to have 'time' regardless
    f) I think you're overestimating the likelihood of a dredge player removing Leyline

Maybe the original statement was slightly hyperbolic but I don't think it's bad advice

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Vs. Dredge, it ultimately boils down to the dredge player's choice itself.

1. Manaless Dredge. Mulligan to nothing!! If Leyline lands, you win the game! Worth it!
    2. LED Dredge. This is where Surgical Extraction can begin to Shine over Leylines as it's 5c deck and us Nether Void runners take too long to establish a lock. Also the risk of a turn 1 death is higher in this version so Leylines with Surgical Extraction backup is a must.
    3. LED-less Dredge. A long time ago on a kitchen table far far away, I had a budget pox build vs. my Magic Rival, Claymore-One. With a Leyline on the field, he simply hard casted his creatures from the hand. Flying Putrid Imps, Narcomebas, and Golgari Thugs en masse can and will kill you even with a Leyline in play.

Anyone here a fan of Relic of Progenitus?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Anyone here a fan of Relic of Progenitus?
    I'd rather have Nihil Spellbomb. One-sided, cheaper effect if necessary. The benefit of Relic is drawing multiples, or at least getting far enough ahead early that it can just slow-drain the graveyard. In my experience, that works in modern, but not legacy. My go-to mix of grave hate ATM in almost all of my decks is a 2/2 split between Surgical/Spellbomb.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

Only 4 slots of graveyard hate? I envy that. The word graveyard is on over half of my sideboard. 4 Leylines 2/2 Extraction/Extirpate and I still roll over sometimes.

I was gonna go from 4/2 ley/Extraction to 2 Spellbomb and 3 extractions but then the banhammer hit.
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Only 4 slots of graveyard hate? I envy that. The word graveyard is on over half of my sideboard. 4 Leylines 2/2 Extraction/Extirpate and I still roll over sometimes.

I was gonna go from 4/2 ley/Extraction to 2 Spellbomb and 3 extractions but then the banhammer hit.
    Dredge isn't very popular, so I see it rarely. It's also important to realize that no matter what you do, some decks will just be favored, period. Rather than waste an inordinate amount of sideboard space on a matchup you will likely lose (if you don't get nuts lucky) is counterproductive. Shore up the matchups you can tip in your favor post-board and accept a few bad matchups. Dredge, even with dedicated hate at your disposal, will still beat you g1 and likely eke out g2 or g3 based on how they sideboard themselves, or you just don't draw it when you need it.

If I expected a fair amount of drege, I would invest in leylines...or play a different deck. I play Pox rarely in tournaments, only once that I recall that was outside of a FNM. It was to get back into the format at a low threshold point (I had the Wastelands/Urborgs/Lilianas) and to just get familiar with the format again. I think Pox is a secondary deck for many players. At my LGS I have at least four other people that occasionally play Pox. FOUR, in a community where FNM brings maybe 15 people on average and a 1K brings around 35-40. That's a higher metagame share than Pox normally covers. Dedicated Pox players have the big money cards like Nether Void and Tabernacle; they are few and far between. So take what I say about Pox with a grain of salt, I'm not invested like dedicated Pox players.

EDIT: My main deck is Nic Fit, which has the 2/2 split plus a Bojuka Bog sideboard, along with 2 Crop Rotations main, and a Scavenging Ooze I can GSZ up. Just to clarify why I only choose the 2/2 split of Extraction/Spellbomb.
    Brainstorm Realist

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Sideboard skeleton:

5 counter agro
    5 counter combo
    5 counter control

the counter combo cards usually involve GY hate cause Dredge and Past in Flames and Snapcaster mages are a thing. Always 3/2 cause losing all your hate to an Extirpate-like effect is no fun.

Thread Information