Page 255 of 263 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Feb 2016
    Spain

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Don't you think that 3x Liliana's Triumph feels unnecesary with possibly 15 removals on main?
    Did you consider Pithing needle or Ratchet Bomb against opposing artifacts and/or PW?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I've currently dropped Eliminate, but kept the Murderous Rider.
    I'm apprehensive in Bloodchief's Thirst, 4 mana is asking a lot when the Planeswalker I'm killing the most is Karn now, almost always powered out by less than 4 mana sources on their side. The adventure mechanic also slots just a little too perfect into what we're trying to accomplish to walk away from. It plays nice with Nether Spirit as well, and when it doesn't through countermagic or some other effects, Cling to Dust has been a great addition as well.
    I think some number or Pithing Needle in the side are becoming borderline mandatory. I have a Gyruda/Urza/Karn Bomberman player in my group and I'd like to have a better plan than hope we don't get paired to avoid getting wiped out of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Sideboard updated taking into account everything ^_^ thanks people!! Eliminate still works as the stopgap between Thirst to Murderous Rider. There's still plenty of 3 cmc creatures or less that we'd like dead. Bob, Goyf & Eidolon of the great revel come to mind. Paying 2 instead of 3 is fine. Using Thirst's kicker is good as an emergency.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Reivaj View Post
    Don't you think that 3x Liliana's Triumph feels unnecesary with possibly 15 removals on main?
    Did you consider Pithing needle or Ratchet Bomb against opposing artifacts and/or PW?
    Liliana's triumph is useful against marit lage bcs it's an instant, and is also quite safe from chalice.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Liliana's triumph is useful against marit lage bcs it's an instant, and is also quite safe from chalice.
    It also 2 for 1s with Liliana vs. Icefang shenanigans. The condition should be easy to meet with 5+ Lilianas in the deck.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

A big 0-4 oof last night.

Two decks were value piles with a resolved Sylvan Library on their side doing heavy lifting. Jace the Mind Sculptor and Dack Fayden both also made appearances and caused headaches. My contributions just made the games take longer, but without a way to cleanly clear the board completely, there was little hope of success.

One match against Retro Ninja, which was more manageable but still tricky. Retrofitter Foundry again without a clean answer provided fodder creatures to keep the board unempty. Ninjas themselves were not anything special, but spamming 0/2 creatures to magically transform into 4/4 beaters did not allow enough time to stabilize.

Last match was Eldrazi, which again, doable, but in this instance Matter Reshaper did not allow for a clean answer, turning into Mimic that got beefed by TKS the next turn and proceeded to shut the door on what was otherwise a manageable game. Later in the night he skipped right past Chalice on 1 and went for 2 & 3, his own Caverns allowing him to keep playing while I was stuck playing catchup all the way to the grave.

If this meta persists, I might need to reconsider Feed the Swarm or Mire in Misery as options somewhere in the 75. At any point Chains of Mephistopheles or Underworld Dreams showing up would have also been a significant help, so I can't say I didn't have options, so maybe having different options but also never drawing them ends up the same. Will recollect myself and see where the room settles.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    A big 0-4 oof last night.

Two decks were value piles with a resolved Sylvan Library on their side doing heavy lifting. Jace the Mind Sculptor and Dack Fayden both also made appearances and caused headaches. My contributions just made the games take longer, but without a way to cleanly clear the board completely, there was little hope of success.

One match against Retro Ninja, which was more manageable but still tricky. Retrofitter Foundry again without a clean answer provided fodder creatures to keep the board unempty. Ninjas themselves were not anything special, but spamming 0/2 creatures to magically transform into 4/4 beaters did not allow enough time to stabilize.

Last match was Eldrazi, which again, doable, but in this instance Matter Reshaper did not allow for a clean answer, turning into Mimic that got beefed by TKS the next turn and proceeded to shut the door on what was otherwise a manageable game. Later in the night he skipped right past Chalice on 1 and went for 2 & 3, his own Caverns allowing him to keep playing while I was stuck playing catchup all the way to the grave.

If this meta persists, I might need to reconsider Feed the Swarm or Mire in Misery as options somewhere in the 75. At any point Chains of Mephistopheles or Underworld Dreams showing up would have also been a significant help, so I can't say I didn't have options, so maybe having different options but also never drawing them ends up the same. Will recollect myself and see where the room settles.
    Yes I think Feed the Swarm / Mire in Misery (probably feed) is a good choice to anticipate a meta with a lot of Sylvan Library
    Chains of Mephistopheles could also be reasonable
    I would avoid underworld dreams because uro just makes that card look totally embarrassing

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Yes I think Feed the Swarm / Mire in Misery (probably feed) is a good choice to anticipate a meta with a lot of Sylvan Library
    I would avoid underworld dreams because uro just makes that card look totally embarrassing
    Underworld Dreams isn't to combat Uro, just provides a clock that gets faster the more they try and dig out from. Off an early Dark Ritual it lets you play the Pox game while also winning the game, a rarity I'm sad to say.
    Many games they stabilize at ~5 life and recover with higher CMC stuff like Jace while we're trying to keep what little momentum we have.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Feed / Mire are good cards using 2 cmc but I've found the instant speed of Pharika's Libation more clutch for those Marit Lage situations.
    In the case of tempo, Feed/Mire are good for the early game enchantment, but the instant speed for 1 more cmc was quite handy. You also narrow the opponent's choice of permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Many games they stabilize at ~5 life and recover with higher CMC stuff like Jace while we're trying to keep what little momentum we have.
    Yes and I'm trying to tell you that when one of the most popular examples of the "high cmc stuff" being played in the current meta is a creature that repeatedly comes back from the graveyard and gains 3 life when it etb and gains 3 life when it attacks then Underworld Dreams is probably not the card that you want to be playing

Feb 2016
    Spain

Hi guys. Have yo seen this version of Snow Pox?
    He plays Narfi, betrayer king as a pseudo Nether spirit and some snow cards I dont understand like Frostwalk bastion and Faceless haven (I prefer old Mishra's factory)

Imo the snow pox deck’s curve is too high. Pox wants to play a small game so playing big finishers often won’t work. But that’s just my opinion.

I have been testing land tax pox to mild success. Land tax is a card advantage engine that can actually come down before blue decks pws and is great in small games that pox creates. Myth realized ends the game quickly without getting in the way of pox.

Currently testing:

1 Plains
    9 Swamps
    2 Urborg
    4 Silent Clearing
    4 Flagstones
    2 Scrubland

4 Land Tax
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Raven’s Crime
    4 Smallpox
    3 Liliana OTV

4 Myth Realized
    2 Nether Spirit
    3 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Compared to trying to assemble a bunch of zombies, I think the get the opponent to no cards, smack them with a monk plan has been working.

I used to run more clings/thoughtseize, but extra hymns and kayas were added since the deck is so soft to chalice.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Imo the snow pox deck’s curve is too high. Pox wants to play a small game so playing big finishers often won’t work. But that’s just my opinion.

I have been testing land tax pox to mild success. Land tax is a card advantage engine that can actually come down before blue decks pws and is great in small games that pox creates. Myth realized ends the game quickly without getting in the way of pox.

Currently testing:

1 Plains
    9 Swamps
    2 Urborg
    4 Silent Clearing
    4 Flagstones
    2 Scrubland

4 Land Tax
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 Raven’s Crime
    4 Smallpox
    3 Liliana OTV

4 Myth Realized
    2 Nether Spirit
    3 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper

3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Hymn to Tourach

Compared to trying to assemble a bunch of zombies, I think the get the opponent to no cards, smack them with a monk plan has been working.

I used to run more clings/thoughtseize, but extra hymns and kayas were added since the deck is so soft to chalice.
    Interesting idea! That is just a 56 card list however. With that discard plan I would add four Shrieking affliction.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

I missed 4 wasteland I think. I think the list has a fine amount of wincons.

Perhaps I was playing poorly, but I disliked shrieking affliction when I tried it. both it and land tax were countered by the opponent just not doing anything. Myth realized and Kaya are better at forcing action (and thus turning on land tax).
    Edit: perhaps waste not could be good however...

In addition to paying a healthy respect for uro, cling/Kaya can solve the “what if you draw 2 nether spirit” problem.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Don't forget about Cursed Scroll and Ensnaring Bridge for flavors of Pox; with Oko gone they are playable cards again.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The land tax/ravens crime engine has been pretty good in my testing. However myth realized was having some issues crossing the finish line.

I was thinking about trying Planar Birth. It has the floor of being a rampant growth with mox diamond, and with the land tax engine and a few field of the dead it can easily make 20+ Power.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Do you realistically think you will have 7 or more lands with different names to trigger Field? I'm skeptical, and while it's cool, Planar Birth seems like it's going a little too deep. Your value with Land Tax and Raven's Crime seems to be pretty hefty already. I think if you want to make Field work you need to add some more utility lands like Mishra's Factory, Karakas, and Maze of Ith to the maindeck.

I think a card like Lingering Souls would be pretty good, simply because it synergizes more with self discard. Yes it's a little more mana intensive than Myth Realized, but you have the acceleration and the engine to feed that with Diamond/Land Tax. I haven't seen the deck in action, but I have been disappointed in Myth Realized in the past.

Wouldn't Monastery Mentor be nutso in this list? Just retracing Raven's Crime, even with an opponent's hand empty, sets you up with a pretty fast clock. The triggers can even ignore Smallpox for the most part because you get a token to sacrifice when you cast it.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sedgemoor Witch an interesting SB option for this deck as a relatively cheap / efficient threat that dodges your own smallpox

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Don't forget about Cursed Scroll and Ensnaring Bridge for flavors of Pox; with Oko gone they are playable cards again.
    Spending 3 mana every turn just to deal 2 damage seems incredibly inefficient. I would personally swap it with Sedgmoor Witch if I want a grindy threat or Rotting Regisaur as a fast cheap finisher once youre already hellbent. But then again, the recent 5-0 list below is playing cursed scroll...

Planeswalker (7)
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Liliana, Waker of the Dead

Creature (2)
    2 Nether Spirit

Sorcery (16)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Innocent Blood
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Smallpox
    2 Thoughtseize

Instant (6)
    4 Cling to Dust
    2 Liliana's Triumph

Artifact (2)
    2 Cursed Scroll

Enchantment (1)
    1 Bitterblossom

Land (26)
    4 Castle Locthwain
    4 Mishra's Factory
    10 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard (15)
    3 Bitterblossom
    2 Ashiok, Dream Render
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 Duress
    2 Leyline of the Void
    2 Null Rod
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Plague Engineer
    Last edited by Captain Hammer; 04-05-2021 at 11:28 PM.

List looks pretty solid, not trying too much fancy stuff
    - Kind of surprised the 2BB Liliana is good enough but I guess the +1 is a pretty solid wincon and it helps you get the bonus from Triumph more consistently
    - Personally I would only play 1 Nether spirit but it probably doesn't matter too much and you have so many cling to make sure you don't double up on it
    - Cling is a really good card for the deck but I'm kind of surprised to see all 4, I guess the opportunity cost is pretty low because it's so easy to cycle
    - idk if Bitterblossom is the right effect for that slot, a lot of pw to protect in this build so it has a bit more utility for blocking but I think I prefer to see ensnaring bridge there
    - Zero ritual kind of interesting but totally reasonable

Thread Information