Page 12 of 263 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

I would hope that I would have stripped them of a couple of counterspells by then. though as someone pointed out awhile ago the problem with Tainted Aether is that they get to choose and they will usually make the worst choice for you. Still in theory it is so nasty that it is very tempting to try. I just havent been able to be satisfied with it enough past test draws to use it in a real game. Also the 4mc is a big problem if you are not running Dark Rituals.

@Hollywood

Can you share your list? i think after so much speaking we are all curious now; personally i don't own Sinkhole so i play The Rack Pox version, so my interest is double.

My Rack list is on pg. 10. I have to admit Hollywood had a great idea and I am going to replace my Bloodghast with Oppression. Makes much more sense in my discard Pox build, though I want to try the ghast in some of the aggro and loam decks people have listed here for fun. I think it would be better there.

I of course would like to see Hollywood's list too I but I respect if he would rather give it with the full tournament report later instead.

Yeah, I'll be providing the list after the tournament.

I'm not saying my list is optimal by any means, but it absolutely wrecks combo - which is what I'm going for.

Hey guys, let's do it! The blue yonder awaits! Yahoo!
    Apr 2011
    The World

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Yeah, I'll be providing the list after the tournament.

I'm not saying my list is optimal by any means, but it absolutely wrecks combo - which is what I'm going for.
    And it will wreck combo, no doubt about that :-) I think we all have a certain idea of how your deck will look like. I am particulair curious about your wincons and how it will play against all those other decks on a tournament in overall.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Yesterday I had less success, with my Negator deck, than I wished.
    I lost to BUG Cascade, Cloudpost and Dredge. Still, I don't get upset over such a minor setback The experience will only help me improve the deck.

4 Bloodghast
    4 Tombstalker
    4 Nihilith
    4 Phyrexian Negator
    4 Smallpox
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Pox
    2 Duress
    4 Innocent Blood
    3 Darkblast
    4 Dark Ritual
    18 Swamp
    2 Dakmor Salvage

Negator was ok, but the spot discard did nothing against these decks. I also needed more consistent mana base (yeah, mana problem with 20 lands and four rituals. wtf?)
    I will replace the discard with four Hymn to tourach and more swamps.
    Note: the idea behind one mana discard is to not be totaly screwed when facing fast combo.

What stops this deck is cards like Batterskull. I need a good answer to that

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Ill be playing a GB Pox build tomorrow night that I will be borrowing from my buddy. Only question I have is what is best vs tribal like decks? I have 2 E Plagues in the SB. Will that be good enough? I see a lot of Folk, Gobs and usually at least one Elves deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Hardly enough in that kind of environment. More mass removal FTW. Also consider running some in Main deck.

Apr 2007
    Leicester, UK

Quote Originally Posted by beez View Post
    I would hope that I would have stripped them of a couple of counterspells by then. though as someone pointed out awhile ago the problem with Tainted Aether is that they get to choose and they will usually make the worst choice for you.
    I have found in games against Delver decks it seems to come down to if I can kill that first turn Delver. If they draw enough other creatures/countermagic to stop my Sacrifice effects I tend to lose. Tainted Aether does nothing to stop the clock that is already on the table. It might slow them down but for the most part it is just a card they can ignore where as Cursed Scroll, The Abyss and even Ensaring Bridge are cards they have to deal with.
    My Legacy Decks of choice: Pox, Miracles, D&T or Lands.
    Online Trading Reference Checker

Apr 2011
    The World

@ Megadeus: EP won't safe you. Indeed some massremoval like Deed or even Damnation should do the trick. E-bridge also works, while Cursed Scroll helps you mob up the board and gives you the game.

@ lyracian: I tend do agree, but giving them hell through discard helps a lot. Then again, it remains a difficult MU.

They call me a slob, but I do my job...
    Sep 2009
    Back to the city by the sea, blowin' in the wind, fighting with hordes of retired people

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Ill be playing a GB Pox build tomorrow night that I will be borrowing from my buddy. Only question I have is what is best vs tribal like decks? I have 2 E Plagues in the SB. Will that be good enough? I see a lot of Folk, Gobs and usually at least one Elves deck.
    Plagues are fine vs tribal, but, if you want to go that route, play at least a third copy. I prefer a different and more varied choice of answers, though. My usual anti-aggro weapons are:
    - pernicious deed
    - tabernacle
    - elephant grass
    - drop of honey
    - perish/virtue's ruin/massacre
    They have the advantage of being in general more flexible.
    Team Stimato Ezio: You're off the team!

People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.
    -Kierkegaard

Drop of Honey...That looks like a niiiiice card. Looks great for the Loam builds.

I did some playtesting with Oppression in the mono black discard Pox build. It seemed good. I think two seemed about the right number for it. I was always happy to draw it but be able to play it after I'd emptied my hand. Same with Cursed Scroll, Dakmore Salvage, and Bojuka Bog: 2x each. All great situationally but I don't want to be flooded with them. An arguement could be made for 3x Oppression if you have some Shrieking Afflictions to double up on the Rack effects.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by lyracian View Post
    I have found in games against Delver decks it seems to come down to if I can kill that first turn Delver. If they draw enough other creatures/countermagic to stop my Sacrifice effects I tend to lose. Tainted Aether does nothing to stop the clock that is already on the table. It might slow them down but for the most part it is just a card they can ignore where as Cursed Scroll, The Abyss and even Ensaring Bridge are cards they have to deal with.
    Tainted Aether is played after a lock is established. Kind of like how you play Standstill or Nether Void when you have board advantage. However, if low cmc permanents are an issue, Culling Scales has my vote. Better with a Nether Spirit out and practically perfect in an LD based list since keeping them off a 4 mana permanent shouldn't be impossible.

I guess I should say that with 4 Liliana's in my main deck, a 4 mana enchantment (The Abyss) that does her job to ME on my upkeep doesn't sound good for my deck/playstyle. Using Nether Spirit as my only creature that comes into play when I choose does wonders with Tainted Aether or Culling Scales.

With many people going the discard route, I'd suggest Noetic Scales. Excellent synergy with Racking+Oppression effects and provides perfect defense better than Ensnaring Bridge. Necrogen Mists, though slower than Oppression was an older card I used to decent effect before I went to the LD/Discard hybrid route.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Chatto View Post
    @ Megadeus: EP won't safe you. Indeed some massremoval like Deed or even Damnation should do the trick. E-bridge also works, while Cursed Scroll helps you mob up the board and gives you the game.
    How about 1 deed main, 1 deed side, 2 E Plagues side, and an ensnaring bridge main? Also I play Wurm Harvest to clog the board as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Apr 2011
    The World

I'm trying something completely different, for I'm determent to use Nether Void and Deathrite Shaman in Bg Pox. It's just a thing (a craving if you will) right now. I think you should check the following link:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=4222&d=224658.

It has two Deeds and a Worm Harvest main and four (!) E-Plague in the side. I would definitely change the sideboard for your meta (something you always have to do of course), but other than that I think the deck looks really sweet.

On E-Bridge: I don't like it main, but maybe it is better in an aggro-infested meta.

Again, right now I'm determent to play Nether Void and Shaman. Come to think of it, the list presented could be a really good starting point for me as well :-)

Apr 2011
    The World

I don't know if people here picked up the following: Revenge of the Necromancer. It's a card you can vote on and if it wins will be printed in an upcoming set.

http://media.wizards.com/images/magi.../ymtc247_7.jpg

Right now it's in the finals! You can still vote on it http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazin...y/feature/248d

It could be a potential card for our beloved Pox, once we know it's casting cost :-)

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

It sucks. Maybe if you could begin with the card in play...

Apr 2011
    The World

Now now, those are some strong words :-)

Indeed, it really depends on how the card will turn out (and of course the cmc), but how sick could this be: get rid of a threat and get something in return! Along with The Rack to do some damage...

Of course this purely hypothetical, but maybe (just maybe) it could be something. But lest not forget to be patient and see what WotC will make of it. And you could be right, Hardcore: maybe it just plain sucks :-)

Thread Information