Page 129 of 263 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by coricho View Post
    Hi guys, I would like your advise.

I've been playing the deck for 2 years now (my favorite MTG deck ever btw)
    I keep being told that BUG Delver is a favorable matchup

... but I have yet to actualy win an actual matchup against the beast.
    They always have "that last abrupt decay"
    to break through a Liliana of the veil an ensanring bridge or a trinisphere

How do you approach the matchup?

Here is my build for reference, I'm having good results with it at my lgs so far. (if I don't have to face a BUG deck)
    I even had an opponent raged-quit once (living the dream)!
    Nothing fancy here, I like my build clean and right to the point.

1 Nether Spirit
    1 Nether Void
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Night of Souls' Betrayal
    1 Trinisphere

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole

3 Cursed Scroll
    4 Liliana of the Veil

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    12 Swamp

SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 3 Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 Trinisphere
    SB: 3 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Ensnaring Bridge
    SB: 1 Night of Souls' Betrayal

I think playing Sensei's Top and swamp fetch lands would greatly improve Pox gameplay.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by TTX View Post
    I think playing Sensei's Top and swamp fetch lands would greatly improve Pox gameplay.
    It actually depends on the build. If you're focused on LD with Wastelands and you're using manlands, 1/3 of your mana base is used for something besides mana. Put fetchlands hitting your health and Smallpox, Pox, and what have you, you could find yourself low on HP and mana.

I did run 1-2 tops in one of my ancient builds in the old thread but found 3 problems.

1. I run big pox, losing HP, even in 1 and 2 life counts for things like Thoughtseize and fetchlands kills me faster than I'd like.
    2. Less real land in the deck makes staying in the game with mana much harder.
    3. That 1 mana to spin the top is really precious and without Ponder and Brainstorm, SDT actually becomes less effective.

on a minor note, I'd run out of targets for fetchlands in my build as I only have 13 swamps. If I ran 7-8 fetches, I'd only have 6-7 swamps. If you only ran four fetchlands, I don't think you'd squeeze enough value out of it. Again, this is from my personal experience with 50 games or so with SDT in the deck.

Hard Draw, like Bottled Cloister, Jace (if you're an Ocean Poxer I gues), or Phyrexian Arena + life draining spells would be more beneficial I think vs. fixing the top deck. My RUG Thresh deck had a counterbalance flavor a long time ago and BS + Ponder really makes that top epic.

If there are other ways to shuffle your deck without manlands I'm all ears. Ghost Quartering yourself btw is not a good idea.
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Jul 2015
    Stockholm

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    It actually depends on the build. If you're focused on LD with Wastelands and you're using manlands, 1/3 of your mana base is used for something besides mana. Put fetchlands hitting your health and Smallpox, Pox, and what have you, you could find yourself low on HP and mana.

I did run 1-2 tops in one of my ancient builds in the old thread but found 3 problems.

1. I run big pox, losing HP, even in 1 and 2 life counts for things like Thoughtseize and fetchlands kills me faster than I'd like.
    2. Less real land in the deck makes staying in the game with mana much harder.
    3. That 1 mana to spin the top is really precious and without Ponder and Brainstorm, SDT actually becomes less effective.

on a minor note, I'd run out of targets for fetchlands in my build as I only have 13 swamps. If I ran 7-8 fetches, I'd only have 6-7 swamps. If you only ran four fetchlands, I don't think you'd squeeze enough value out of it. Again, this is from my personal experience with 50 games or so with SDT in the deck.

Hard Draw, like Bottled Cloister, Jace (if you're an Ocean Poxer I gues), or Phyrexian Arena + life draining spells would be more beneficial I think vs. fixing the top deck. My RUG Thresh deck had a counterbalance flavor a long time ago and BS + Ponder really makes that top epic.

If there are other ways to shuffle your deck without manlands I'm all ears. Ghost Quartering yourself btw is not a good idea.
    The obvious dredge to clear the top Cards, entomb if you want to run it, crop rotation in green.

I used to run2 tops in my GB pox bild and It was nice vs miracles and slower decks, but the second copy can also Lose you the game in some matches, I found running 1 has enough upside that you run it regardless of how inconsistent it is that you get it. I think I have about 70 games with 2 tops and a LOT more with just 1. However it wouldn't suprise me if you could go back and play more SDT in the more expected meta.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Outside Elves agro, the DTB has no fast weenie rush down at least in the traditional sense. Dakmor Salvage with SDT can definitely work if you don't mind the durdle. Whenever you Dredge, you're killing a draw phase so that your next 2 or so draws don't suck. For many, I can see that being a reasonable trade, especially if you're throwing away 2 swamps and have 5+ swamps on the field.

I think Necroplasm might also make for an excellent Dredger as he nukes tokens at end of his battlefield entry. Too bad the new rulings won't allow him to nuke transformed creatures...
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

in the expected meta you still need to account for D&T which, while not explicitly aggressive, is very soft to many of the same tools that are used against aggressive decks (not as vulnerable in the mana base, multitude of x/1 and x/2 creatures to mop up, usually an ability to spiral out of your ability to reign it back in very quickly if you don't catch them on the front end, capable of ~2 or 3 angles of attack) so i'm inclined to at least throw it as a point. I'd also like to add that, while it isn't exclusively intended as an aggressive deck, any delver variant with pyromancer or basically any monastery mentor deck has similar tendencies to get out of board control capacity and start killing you remarkably quickly if you don't get on top of them in a similarly succinct manner. NoSB and EP aren't terrible in any of these matches, but i like having something a little more generic about telling all the creatures to get off the board, so I usually include a couple damnation, deluge, or my personal favorite, BSZ in the board anymore.
    Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

BSZ should be extra nice with top.
    Against decks with Daze the casting cost is an disadvantage, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I went 2-2 in yesterdays weekly tourney. I was basically beaten by fatigue since i have not slept well for a month.
    I still have faith in my deck. Plague Spitter saw some action vs Monastery Mentor.
    Hard to say if it is better than tomby in the long run. It was no problem running it in conjunction with Bloodghast.

Lands decks are still my biggest problem. Bloodmoon looks to be the best answer but given the cost i'll try other solutions first.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I went 2-2 in yesterdays weekly tourney. I was basically beaten by fatigue since i have not slept well for a month.
    I still have faith in my deck. Plague Spitter saw some action vs Monastery Mentor.
    Hard to say if it is better than tomby in the long run. It was no problem running it in conjunction with Bloodghast.

Lands decks are still my biggest problem. Bloodmoon looks to be the best answer but given the cost i'll try other solutions first.
    If you have 6+ recurring threats, I highly suggest Contamination which is the superior B version of Blood moon. Even basics get screwed.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Yeah, but it does not change the land abilities. It would still be possible to create Marit Lage token.

Diabolic Edict is pretty good against Marit Lage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Yeah, but it does not change the land abilities. It would still be possible to create Marit Lage token.
    Unless you're fighting lands combo all the time (maybe you are, I don't know your meta), being able to stop people who are not mono-B from playing magic AT ALL should be given more weight.

Are you fighting Marit Lage so often that you'd risk splashing red and gaining a less stable mana base? If so, forget what I stated.

On the other hand, you get your direct damage that Pox normally doesn't use which can kill planeswalkers. Other Poxers use The Rack or C. Scroll but R for 3 damage to Jace's dome is hot sauce.

In my experience, the surgical effects, the needles and dropping a chalice on two is usually enough that if you don't get unlucky, the matchup is very palatable. bring in 11, bring out 11, make their day miserable. if it's really important to you, you can turn the 4th (and maybe 3rd) E.Plague effect into the 4th needle and/or more surgical effects. the only cards I'd consider hitting with surgical are Dark Depths, K. Grip, Punishing Fire and (maybe) Loam. the rest you can beat through with enough persistence. You can also turn some number of creature sweepers into Ensnaring Bridge if the biggest problem is Mariat Lage.
    Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

I think this might be the correct route to take the deck. The reason I say that is that there is a ton of built in internal synergy in every card the deck plays...

Discard + Removal + Win Condition
    4x Smallpox
    4x Pox
    4x Liliana of the Veil

Mana + Win Condition
    0x Phyrexian Totem
    4x Mishra's Factory

Pure Win Conditions
    4x The Rack
    4x Shrieking Affliction

Pure Discard
    4x Raven's Crime
    0x Inquisition of Kozilek
    4x Hymn to Tourach

Pure Removal
    3x Innocent Blood
    3x Noetic Scales

Mana
    2x Dark Ritual
    3x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    17x Swamp

By ensuring that so many cards in the deck can play multiple roles, the deck ends up having lots of versatility.

Total Number of Discard Spells - 20
    Total Number of Removal Spells - 18
    Total Number of Win Conditions - 12
    Total Number of Mana Sources - 26

The Mana Curve is very smooth as well...
    1cc - 17
    2cc - 8
    3cc - 8
    4cc - 3

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Price of progress.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

For four bloodmoons, how many red mans sources do i need?

Sep 2010
    Warsaw, Poland

@Noetic Scales

Yesss my old fun deck with a lot of discards and Noetic Scales as board control :-) I also used Bottomless Pit as hard lock.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I am thinking of finding room for Midnight Charm in my 61. Kill Hexmage, pox Marit Lage.
    Or tap Marit Lage to get a free swing for a turn. Maybe for lethal.

I do not know what to replace, however.

4 Bloodghast
    3 tombstalker
    4 nihilith

4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Pox
    4 contagion
    4 liliana of the veil
    2 sensei's divining top
    3 shrieking affliction

14 Swamp
    4 bloodstained mire
    3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 wasteland

to the four blood moon, you need 6-7 fetches (preferably 4 of which bloodstained), 1 badlands and preferably a mountain. the flip side is that if i'm adding red to pox i wanna play a small burning wish board and Devastating Dreams.
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Tnx!

As for a wish board i think that is an idea. Anything costing double red would not be very viable however, imho.:-/

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Backlash looks like fun stuff against a few decks, like 12 post, sneak and show, Dark Depths etc.

Thread Information