Page 145 of 263 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,900 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Epeirogeny View Post
    What is your list by the way? I have noticed that you have been on this thread for awhile playing pox. You play black/white pox?
    This is roughly my default list when I do play pox. I used to have 3 Tombstalker and 2 Nether spirit. I have since dropped crucible of worlds.

// Deck: pox b/w (61)

// Lands
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Karakas
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Plains
    3 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland

// Creatures
    1 Nether Spirit
    2 Tombstalker

// Spells
    3 Bitterblossom
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Mox Diamond
    3 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Toxic Deluge
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Vindicate

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 2 Helm of Obedience
    SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 Nether Void
    SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Toxic Deluge
    SB: 1 Vindicate

^Looks great, so many of my favorite cards! Will give this a go sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wotkenmendo View Post
    ^Looks great, so many of my favorite cards! Will give this a go sometime.
    I will note that the Leyline/Helm package out of the board is old tech and I would not recommend it to anyone. Maybe with additional lands or something but it wasn't appealing when I tested it.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

With the white and the Enlightened Tutor, why not just run Rest in Peace? Yeah it hurts our graveyard, but you get a more castable card that's less dependent on turn zero effects. BW Pox has run Night of Soul's Betrayal alongside Lingering Souls and the like, so we're familiar with bad synergies lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

Why IB over StP? Is it just for eldrazi? Lily and smallpox is enough sac as it is, I would think that targed removal would be welcomed. It must suck to rely on IB with a Tombstalker out...
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

How have the 3 blossom 2 jitte worked for everyone?
    Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Rest in Peace may be better. Since it works as an additional win condition I could just side out tombstalkers and Nether Spirit for it.

I do run Swords to Plowshares over Innocent Blood mostly because of Tombstalker. It limits the amount of symmetrical sacrifice effects that I have to run.

I love the Bitterblossom and Jitte together. Jitte works great in creature match ups and the tokens carry it well. Not to mention it gives us some potential life gain to recoup lost life due to blossom.

Should we really care about losing card advantage sometimes? I have noticed myself using smallpox aggressively even if it means i 3 for 2 myself. (Small pox, land, discard versus opponents land, discard).
    Legacy
    &
    Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by Epeirogeny View Post
    Should we really care about losing card advantage sometimes? I have noticed myself using smallpox aggressively even if it means i 3 for 2 myself. (Small pox, land, discard versus opponents land, discard).
    Really depends on the board, knowledge of what your opponent is trying to do, etc. If you are against sneak and show I 100% agree with aggressive smallpox casting.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

The latest expansion was a dry well for mono-B players. Still my deck is quite changed with the inclusion of an older card all the way from Timespiral: Gemstone Caverns. Against decks that strive for tempo, like delver, this is quite useful card, but going first in close to 75% of all games is good in itself of course:)

4 Bloodghast
    1 scourge of nel toth
    1 nether spirit
    1 necroplasm
    3 nihilith

1 buried alive
    4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Pox
    4 liliana of the veil
    2 sensei's divining top
    3 darkblast
    3 collective brutality
    3 shrieking affliction

11 Swamp
    3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 gemstone caverns
    4 bloodstained mire
    1 polluted delta

This is a draft and have not been tested. It is close enough to my ordinary builds that i can be confident bad deck building won't ruin it. Of course "the only valid test is combat", so i will bring it to the local tourney tomorrow.

I have been toying with the idea of adding Chalice of the Void or Ankh of Mishra to it. (The later would be insanely fun!)
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    The latest expansion was a dry well for mono-B players. Still my deck is quite changed with the inclusion of an older card all the way from Timespiral: Gemstone Caverns. Against decks that strive for tempo, like delver, this is quite useful card, but going first in close to 75% of all games is good in itself of course:)

4 Bloodghast
    1 scourge of nel toth
    1 nether spirit
    1 necroplasm
    3 nihilith

1 buried alive
    4 Smallpox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Pox
    4 liliana of the veil
    2 sensei's divining top
    3 darkblast
    3 collective brutality
    3 shrieking affliction

11 Swamp
    3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    4 gemstone caverns
    4 bloodstained mire
    1 polluted delta

This is a draft and have not been tested. It is close enough to my ordinary builds that i can be confident bad deck building won't ruin it. Of course "the only valid test is combat", so i will bring it to the local tourney tomorrow.

I have been toying with the idea of adding Chalice of the Void or Ankh of Mishra to it. (The later would be insanely fun!)
    Not sure that I can approve of Nether Spirit in this decklist since you have a lot of other creatures that you want to put into your yard. I like the scourge with bloodghast interaction. It would be interesting to see fetch lands so you could potentially play a fetch to return 2 ghasts and then sac them to return scourge then sac fetchland to return 2 ghast again. would give you a very aggressive line. Maybe Dakmor Salvage since you are very heavy on the Pox effects.

Bear in mind that the only creatures he has that stay in his yard are the three nihilith, so that's less of a concern for me, and 5 fetch lands is probably plenty. You don't wanna open yourself up to stifle and blood moon more than you have to. I've been impressed with collective brutality, how's it been for you?
    Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I recently saw a BR Reanimator running collective brutality. Force the opponent to discard answers and put Griselbrand in the graveyard at the same time.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I recently saw a BR Reanimator running collective brutality. Force the opponent to discard answers and put Griselbrand in the graveyard at the same time.
    The problem with Collective Brutality in Reanimator was always Escalate being an additional cost, so in most cases, the answer you're hoping to remove gets used with Collective Brutality on the stack and Griselbrand in your graveyard.
    It has more appeal in a Pox build, we're built for discarding cards to our own Smallpox, if it's a Nether Spirit or a Bloodghast, all the better, but it's not required.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Duh, missed that.

I don't see how them using their answer on brutality is a bad thing for reanimator, as since the discard is a cost the griselbrand gets to the gy anyways and the answer is still out of their hand. Only way that seems mediocre is if the other mode is 'kill target death rite shaman.' That said, I've put it on the stack a few times and been impressed every single one of them, so I'm not going to complain about seeing it. Unrelated note, recently had a few co-workers drag me into a five-player pod and start talking trash, so I re-tuned my pox deck, chqllenged them to 4-v-1, and cleaned house. Made my night and had one of them swearing that they refuse to play against that deck again. Made me smile.
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I don't want to derail the thread into Reaninmator, but typical answers against us are Deathrite Shaman, Scavenging Ooze, Knight of the Reliquary fetching Bojuka Bog, Crop Rotation fetching Bojuka Bog, Surgical Extraction, Extirpate & Faerie Macabre. All these will eat your Griselbrand with Collective Brutality on the stack.

The only answers that we actually remove are stuff like Swords to Plowshares and Smallpox. Or a resolved Containment Priest.

Ya, if I'm expecting a gy heavy meta (reanimator, lands, dredge, storm to an extent) I'll usually pack a few extirpates in the main, and still keep my 5-6 board slots. Have made a dredge player Rage scoop when I paused him in his draw step, hit his narcomoebas with the trigger on the stack, then untapped and hit his ichorids. Have also pulled delver players off a color when they didn't do anything productive turn one, and I don't think there is quite a feeling like pulling miracles off of entreats with a miracle trigger on the stack.
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

What are the best extirpate targets against dredge? I usually take the dredgers but maybe that is not optimal.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

What are the best extirpate targets against dredge? I usually take the dredgers but maybe that is not optimal.
    Narcomoeba and Ichorid are prime targets. They don't get free creatures otherwise.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Thread Information