Page 183 of 263 FirstFirst ... 83133173179180181182183184185186187193233 ... LastLast
Results 3,641 to 3,660 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Jun 2010
    Central NY

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Bontu's Last Reckoning seems better than Deluge, especially if your list has artifact mana.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I am pretty happy with my deck nowadays. However, in my meta there is lots of lands and I need to have a better sideboard plan than the current. Pithing needle is nice but playing it will merely make my opponent switch to a punishing fire plan. I think I'll switch to four backlash in SB and four Magus of the Moon in main as my win cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

How do you guys feel about playing 3-4 Chains of Mephistopheles? not factoring price of card in paper and looking it only from a strategy perspective. Especially because multiple chains stack on top of each other and are not redundant.

My current list: (2 cards from sideboard in maindeck only have 1 Chains right now)

4 SmallPox
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Liliana of the The Veil
    3 Chains of Mephistopheles
    2 Crucible of World
    1 The Abyss
    3 Cursed Scroll
    1 Nether Spirit

4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Urborg Tomb of Yawmoth
    12 Swamp
    1 Tabernacle at the Pendrill Vale
    1 maze of ith

Sideboard:
    1 Nether Void
    4 Surgical Extraction
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    3 bitterblossom
    3 Pithing Needle
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 extirpate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legacy
    &
    Vintage

A 4x Chains Pox list made some waves a little while ago. Think here from page 170:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ck-Pox/page170

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...gue-2017-05-30

Combo of Geier's Reach Sanatorium or whatever with Chains is pretty powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acclimation View Post
    I about died from laughter when I was watching my feature match and the commentators called Tinfins a difficult and challenging deck.

I'm not saying it's the easiest deck to play, but the plan is so linear that I could probably get white girl wasted and still beat people with the deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by maharis View Post
    Imagine the trauma of a man who has seen Mom into Crusader enough to mainboard three Cabal Pits.

I think chains is at its most potent when you play in a cantrip heavy meta, and/or plan on draw-step locking your opponent
    Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings."
    —Ratadrabik of Urborg

Hello all:

I'd like some assistance on a concept. Some time back (I cannot find the post for reference), another Pox enthusiast bangled toward a list that doubled down on smallpox in the green-black shell with a playset of Collective Brutality and then filled the list with a bunch of enablers - Raven's Crime, Bloodghast, etc.

I've been working on a list but my card pool is much too large and I don't know where to make cuts. I haven't been playing smallpox decks since Miracles was banned so I don't know the meta as well and I'd really like to disuss this idea.

Even if this idea doesn't turn out to the best I'm interested in starting this as a thought experiment to see what we come up.

Here's what I have:

4 Bloodghast
    2 Cursed Scroll

4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Raven's Crime
    4 Cabal Therapy

4 Collective Brutality
    4 Smallpox

4 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Diabolic Edict
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

4 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Life From The Loam
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Toxic Deluge

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Wasteland
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Swamp
    1 Forest
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    2 Mishra's Factory
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    =26

Sb
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Sylvan Library
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 The Abyss
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Darkblast

Maybe:

Abrupt Decay
    Thoughtseize
    Maelstrom Pulse
    Maelstrom Pulse #2
    Toxic Deluge
    Toxic Deluge #2
    Bitterblossom
    Diabolic Edict
    Cursed Scroll
    Raven's Crime
    Darkblast
    Waste Not
    Ramunap Excavator??? Dark Confidant and unearth and Tireless tracker

Card discussion :
    - Smallpox - obvious.
    - Collective Brutality - new tool which we can use as enabler and perhaps even create virtual CA. Where we get 3 effects from one card but discard two cards into our expanded hand - the graveyard.
    Life From The Loam - CA engine enabled by Smallpox and Collective Brutality

Bloodghast - as a 4 of, it makes more sense than Nether Spirit. I did not include Nether Spirit as a possible one-of because I think we should strongly consider a 4-of set of Dark Confidant somewhere in the 75.

Raven's Crime - I believe the original list I saw had this is a playset. Here's where some discussion is necessary. I believe the OP of this concept said they had success with 4x, but I don't recall if he played Thoughtseize, Hymn or Canal Therapy.

Cabal Therapy - like Raven's Crime it can be discarded freely to CB, Smallpox and Liliana of the Veil. However, if we are running this many Therapy, Raven's Crime and CB can we run any Hymn? Probably not. This makes us a weaker to Chalice decks probably and we would need to consider main deck Abrupt Decays? Another weaknessof both Therapy and Raven's Crime is that neither get to choose a card directly from opponents hand to start G1 which is essential for Pox to beat some combo decks, right? What are your thoughts on this point?

Liliana of the Veil - a must include in Smallpox. But does she need to be 4?

Mox Diamond - I have a LOT of trouble figuring this card out. Does the acceleration that it provides create a benefit that outweighs the space it takes up?

Crop Rotation/Entomb - Presently, id like to build the deck such that every draw is almost equally valuable such that it can be discarded and useful or used straight away. So I have not included these cards. I also want to move away from DD combo because Turbo Depths and Lands both do that much much better than us.

Cursed Scroll - often, we wipe the board clean but our opponent is left with 1 or 2 cards left in hand because legacy is so efficient. Cursed Scroll rewards us for emptying our hand and is another CA engine.

Maelstrom Pulse, toxic deluge, Diabolic Edict - All cards that create an effect/fill in a weakness we do not otherwise have answers for, but exist in the last few potential open spots in the deck.

SB:
    3 Surgical Extraction - useful, castable, instant speed, obvious
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles - I own it, it's cool to use, maybe not good enough?
    1 The Abyss - I own it, it's expensive to cast, very often good enough when it hits the board
    Ensnaring Bridge - this card rewards us for emptying our hand and rewards us for playing the game we want to play it.
    Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale - obviously an amazing card that rewards us for doing our resource denial thing. Also, it works with Raven's Crime where our opponent can choose to discard extra lands and kicks themselves for it later. Downside is that our deck cannot search this card out so it may never show up when we want it.
    Dark Confidant - post board, many opponents will take out removal (especially grixis ) and dark confidant should carry the day.
    Pithing Needge - Maelstrom Pulse and pithing needle kinda sorta might occupy the same space but Needle is easier to cast?
    Thrun, the Last Troll - brick wall, hard to answer for most decks. Hard to cast for us?

Ill be looking forward to some discussion on this. I hope that this concept is effective!

May 2015
    PDX

That's a lot of 2 drops with only 22 lands, 8 of which don't tap for black (or find black). You may need land count looking more like AggroLoam totals to pull that off. I think that right now you've got a list that maybe kills itself when it casts its first Smallpox, and will have significant difficulty assembling a state where it can start retracing Raven's Crime. At a minimum, I would move to Sinkhole over Smallpox if you're going with that manabase. That's what I see in your list anyways @ClimbGneiss, tactics without stable groundwork to execute them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That's a lot of 2 drops with only 22 lands, 8 of which don't tap for black (or find black). You may need land count looking more like AggroLoam totals to pull that off. I think that right now you've got a list that maybe kills itself when it casts its first Smallpox, and will have significant difficulty assembling a state where it can start retracing Raven's Crime. At a minimum, I would move to Sinkhole over Smallpox if you're going with that manabase. That's what I see in your list anyways @ClimbGneiss, tactics without stable groundwork to execute them.
    Good critique. So let's move away from Mishra's Factory and replace with colored sources. And, if Mox Diamond doesn't make the cut, add in 1 to 2 more sources.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by ClimbGneiss View Post
    also want to move away from DD combo because Turbo Depths and Lands both do that much much better than us.
    This is were i usually object. If you play green for loam, you should play crop rotation. If you play crop rotation you should definitely play stage /depths combo. Anything else is suboptimal.

Collective Brutality is better than I thought when first time i tested it. I would say it is on par with kolghan's command.
    Unlike the command it goes well in Mono b.
    I have two in my BloodPox list, and a third in the sideboard. I pitch Bloodghasts, vengeful pharaoh to it, and I run reanimate too. Magus of the moon and tombstalker can go to the yard with little worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    This is were i usually object. If you play green for loam, you should play crop rotation. If you play crop rotation you should definitely play stage /depths combo. Anything else is suboptimal.

Collective Brutality is better than I thought when first time i tested it. I would say it is on par with kolghan's command.
    Unlike the command it goes well in Mono b.
    I have two in my BloodPox list, and a third in the sideboard. I pitch Bloodghasts, vengeful pharaoh to it, and I run reanimate too. Magus of the moon and tombstalker can go to the yard with little worry.
    Thanks for the input, would you mind sharing your list? The interaction you're referring to, pitching Bloodghast to collective brutality, is definitely what I'm trying to maximize. I definitely understand you're point of view regarding DD combo, I just think it requires too much deck space where I'm trying to sell out on this "breaking the symmetry" style deck.

However, if you wouldn't mind sharing your list and some pros and cons of if it's gameplay, I'll definitely take it under consideration for how I end up finishing the build.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Thanks for the input, would you mind sharing your list? The interaction you're referring to, pitching Bloodghast to collective brutality, is definitely what I'm trying to maximize. I definitely understand you're point of view regarding DD combo, I just think it requires too much deck space where I'm trying to sell out on this "breaking the symmetry" style deck.

However, if you wouldn't mind sharing your list and some pros and cons of if it's gameplay, I'll definitely take it under consideration for how I end up finishing the build.
    You may find that maximising the effect may stop at less than four cards, and that your focus on Collective Brutality will be in vain. It has less impact on the game than Smallpox or pox since it doesn't touch lands. Thus it is more of a support card. When played it will be to your advantage, but it is no blow out. CB is a good addition to pox, and I use it in the role of Innocent Blood. Killing DRS ans SFMs mainly, with bonus effect vs burn.

My list is BR, but maybe it will be food for thought nonetheless.

CREATURES (10)
    4 Bloodghast
    3 Magus of the Moon
    1 Vengeful Pharaoh
    2 Tombstalker

ENCHANTMENTS (3)
    3 Shrieking Affliction

SORCERIES (17)
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Pox
    2 Reanimate
    1 Buried Alive
    4 Smallpox
    2 Collective Brutality

INSTANTS (4)
    4 Dark Ritual

PLANESWALKERS (3)
    3 Liliana of the Veil

ARTIFACTS (2)
    2 Pithing Needle

LANDS (22)
    11 Swamp
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Blood Crypt

SIDEBOARD (15)
    4 Engineered Plague
    4 Backlash
    1 Collective Brutality
    4 Surgical Extraction
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Magus of the Moon

My GB Pox list from GP Vegas, made day 2 at 7-2:

Spells:
    4 Smallpox
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Life from the Loam
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Entomb
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Raven's Crime

Creatures:
    3 Bloodghast
    1 Nether Spirit

Lands:
    4 Wasteland
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Mishra's Factory

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Duress
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Extirpate

Other sideboard considerations are Maze of Ith, 2nd Bojuka Bog, Chains of Mephistopheles, Nether Void, The Abyss, Karakas, and more.

I do not play Mox Diamond because we are playing a game based on efficiency and card advantage, Mox Diamond is about accelerating to you can get ahead fast and win fast. This is not the Pox way. It also does not play well with Pernicious Deed which is often the best card in the deck.

Playing Crop Rotation does not necessitate playing Dark Depths, I played Depths combo in my GB pox for years and never liked it. I only played it for the time concerns because inexperienced miracles players took too long. A good miracles pilot should not have that issue but unfortunately we lost Sensei's Divining Top because of the bad ones.

Some other notes, there are alot of CMC 2 cards, this makes Sanctum Prelate and to a lesser extent Chalice of the Void a concern. Liliana of the Veil, Pernicious Deed, Innocent Blood, and Crop Rotation for Cabal Pit or Mishra's Factory are the answers and really I'd like more. Chalice can be Decayed so less of an issue.

I Escalated Collective Brutality 95% of the time, that card is legit, not a bad matchup. At least 2 occasions I drained for two life vs turbo depths to go to 21 so I could take a hit from Marit Lage and then Lily sacrifice next turn. Also I love the one of Crucible of Worlds people bring in surgical so I usually swap out 1 Life from the Loam, they are usually pretty disappointed when they search the deck and only find 2 copies total.

Quote Originally Posted by jredelstein View Post
    My GB Pox list from GP Vegas, made day 2 at 7-2:

Spells:
    4 Smallpox
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    3 Life from the Loam
    3 Collective Brutality
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Pernicious Deed
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Cabal Therapy
    2 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Entomb
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Crop Rotation
    1 Raven's Crime

Creatures:
    3 Bloodghast
    1 Nether Spirit

Lands:
    4 Wasteland
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Barren Moor
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Bojuka Bog
    3 Mishra's Factory

Sideboard:
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Golgari Charm
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Glacial Chasm
    1 Maelstrom Pulse
    2 Duress
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Innocent Blood
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Crop Rotation
    2 Extirpate

Other sideboard considerations are Maze of Ith, 2nd Bojuka Bog, Chains of Mephistopheles, Nether Void, The Abyss, Karakas, and more.

I do not play Mox Diamond because we are playing a game based on efficiency and card advantage, Mox Diamond is about accelerating to you can get ahead fast and win fast. This is not the Pox way. It also does not play well with Pernicious Deed which is often the best card in the deck.

Playing Crop Rotation does not necessitate playing Dark Depths, I played Depths combo in my GB pox for years and never liked it. I only played it for the time concerns because inexperienced miracles players took too long. A good miracles pilot should not have that issue but unfortunately we lost Sensei's Divining Top because of the bad ones.

Some other notes, there are alot of CMC 2 cards, this makes Sanctum Prelate and to a lesser extent Chalice of the Void a concern. Liliana of the Veil, Pernicious Deed, Innocent Blood, and Crop Rotation for Cabal Pit or Mishra's Factory are the answers and really I'd like more. Chalice can be Decayed so less of an issue.

I Escalated Collective Brutality 95% of the time, that card is legit, not a bad matchup. At least 2 occasions I drained for two life vs turbo depths to go to 21 so I could take a hit from Marit Lage and then Lily sacrifice next turn. Also I love the one of Crucible of Worlds people bring in surgical so I usually swap out 1 Life from the Loam, they are usually pretty disappointed when they search the deck and only find 2 copies total.

Hey Josh! Thanks for the input. I'm glad you shared your thoughts on Mox Diamond. That card confuses me the most in Pox builds. I would tend to agree, but do you find that without it that we cannot beat sneak and show and other combo decks? It looks like your deck has made the hard decisions on the numbers of each Spell to play that I was struggling with. My only question is whether or not you wish you had more smallpox and collective brutality enablers? If so, where would you make cuts?
    I agree with excluding DD combo. It's not like we do a particularly good job of utilizing the combo, so I was never impressed and often frustrated by having the rogue dark depths in my opener.

Something I like about your list is that you have a good mixture of targeted discard and cabal therapy, which enhances the vaue of therapy.

What are your thoughts on Toxic Deluge instead of Pernicious Deed? Do you ever find that the extra turn you have to wait to pop Deed loses you the game?

Wheres Fatal Push???

Hey Josh! Thanks for the input. I'm glad you shared your thoughts on Mox Diamond. That card confuses me the most in Pox builds. I would tend to agree, but do you find that without it that we cannot beat sneak and show and other combo decks? It looks like your deck has made the hard decisions on the numbers of each Spell to play that I was struggling with. My only question is whether or not you wish you had more smallpox and collective brutality enablers? If so, where would you make cuts?
    I agree with excluding DD combo. It's not like we do a particularly good job of utilizing the combo, so I was never impressed and often frustrated by having the rogue dark depths in my opener.

Something I like about your list is that you have a good mixture of targeted discard and cabal therapy, which enhances the vaue of therapy.

What are your thoughts on Toxic Deluge instead of Pernicious Deed? Do you ever find that the extra turn you have to wait to pop Deed loses you the game?

Wheres Fatal Push???
    So I beat Sneak and Show and other combo decks with discard, followed by Lily (or raven's crime lock)so you want as many cards in your hand which Mox diamond doesn't help with. Remember if you are blind naming with therapy name the card that beats you not necessarily what you think they might have.

As far as things to discard to Smallpox and Collective Brutality, I have never had an issue. Loam, Bloodghast, Nether spirit, cabal therapy, extra lands or redundant spells there are plenty of options.

Deluge is a great card, I've actually played Damnation in my sideboard. I prefer Deed because it hits so much more, including man lands and equipment. I do not play thoughtseize because life is too valuable in Pox so kinda that same feeling for Deluge, but in the match-ups you want it, it will be great.

For Fatal Push, another great card but I have done my best to minimize targeted removal and cards that could be dead in some match-ups.

Quote Originally Posted by jredelstein View Post
    So I beat Sneak and Show and other combo decks with discard, followed by Lily (or raven's crime lock)so you want as many cards in your hand which Mox diamond doesn't help with. Remember if you are blind naming with therapy name the card that beats you not necessarily what you think they might have.

As far as things to discard to Smallpox and Collective Brutality, I have never had an issue. Loam, Bloodghast, Nether spirit, cabal therapy, extra lands or redundant spells there are plenty of options.

Deluge is a great card, I've actually played Damnation in my sideboard. I prefer Deed because it hits so much more, including man lands and equipment. I do not play thoughtseize because life is too valuable in Pox so kinda that same feeling for Deluge, but in the match-ups you want it, it will be great.

For Fatal Push, another great card but I have done my best to minimize targeted removal and cards that could be dead in some match-ups.
    Pernicious Deed is appealing because, in certain scenarios, one can just cast it asap and hold it up for the rest of the game for instant speed interactions whereas Toxic Deluge will always be sorcery speed. Also, Deluge costs life, like you mentioned. I think I'll give it a try.

Thoughtseize vs IoK - I agree I do want targeted discard. Im leaning toward Thoughtseize because it hits Jace, Sneak Attack, etc. But the life loss argument is totally legit.

I'm forming my list - I'll reply with it to the thread when I get a chance.

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

Hello all:

Mox Diamond - I have a LOT of trouble figuring this card out. Does the acceleration that it provides create a benefit that outweighs the space it takes up?
    I have used Mox Diamond really effectively alongside Life from the Loam and Chalice of the Void in Pox. It allowed turn 1 Chalice on 1, and Loam helped recoup the card disadvantage. I was also on Abrupt Decays, Maelstrom Pulses, and Sylvan Libraries, so they helped the splash.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think Mox Diamond gets a lot better with Life from the Loam, simply due to synergy. Mono-black uses Dark Ritual, which is objectively more powerful but sacrifices card advantage for tempo. The green splash enables bigger bombs as well alongside the Diamonds (Pernicious Deed, Crop Rotation/Loam synergy.) I would pretty much stick to Dark Ritz for mono-black, but if I was committed to Mox Diamond I would splash green for loam/rotation/deed/decay.

I wish the cycle land synergy with loam was more viable, I used to love doing that in extended Death Cloud. Now even if we squeeze 1-2 cycle lands into the deck it can be disruptive to the game plan. Other lands are just simply better, having a much higher value in the format (Bojuka Bog, Depths/Stage, Cabal Pit, Karakas) and once those are included alongside the appropriate mana-producing lands/fetches/wastelands there is actually very little room for cycle lands. *sigh* Nostalgia.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Pernicious Deed is appealing because, in certain scenarios, one can just cast it asap and hold it up for the rest of the game for instant speed interactions whereas Toxic Deluge will always be sorcery speed. Also, Deluge costs life, like you mentioned. I think I'll give it a try.

Thoughtseize vs IoK - I agree I do want targeted discard. Im leaning toward Thoughtseize because it hits Jace, Sneak Attack, etc. But the life loss argument is totally legit.

I'm forming my list - I'll reply with it to the thread when I get a chance.
    This is what I've come up with after evaluating your list. I removed the Sylvan Library from main and side for the 1 Entomb and crop rotation. Added the Cabal Pit and Bog. Kept the pushes and Diabolic Edict bc I think the instant speed interaction is strong.

3 Bloodghast
    1 Nether Spirit
    1 Cursed Scroll
    =5

1 Raven's Crime
    2 Cabal Therapy
    3 Thoughtseize
    =6

3 Collective Brutality
    4 Smallpox
    =7

3 Fatal Push
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Diabolic Edict
    =7

3 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Life From The Loam
    2 Pernicious Deed
    =7

1 Entomb
    1 Crop Rotation
    =2

4 Wasteland
    4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Swamp
    1 Forest
    2 Mishra's Factory
    1 Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Bojuka Bog
    =25

(1 space open)

Sb
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Abrupt Decay
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles
    1 The Abyss
    1 Toxic Deluge
    1 Golgari Charm
    2 Duress
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

I agree that without Chalice/Sphere effects to slam on turn 1, Moxes are less than great. Turn 1 Smallpox/Sinkhole/Brutality are only good on the draw, you really need some thing proactive. (This is an addendum to my last post. Y'all snuck in between)

Oct 2005
    Belchertown, MA

I'm curious to hear how the GB thing works out for you. I have a hard time justifying the splash now that I don't need Decays to fight Counterbalance. Part of my problem is card availability though.

Thread Information