Page 227 of 263 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I went 4-0 today at the LGS.

After facing Grixis control last Tuesday I added two Darkblast to the deck. As luck would have it my opponents played, Delver, Delver , Maverick and Delver (in that order)

The deck:

Exciting games but i can't recall that much. Most interesting thing was that my opponents tested Pteramander. It may stay, as extra delvers, but the original is probably better.
    Nice!
    Interesting move, and it makes sense, to dip the wastelands when running 8 poxes. I may give that a shot in my big pox, all the BB/BBB will be easier to cast and i won't have to worry about an urborg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Nice!
    Interesting move, and it makes sense, to dip the wastelands when running 8 poxes. I may give that a shot in my big pox, all the BB/BBB will be easier to cast and i won't have to worry about an urborg.
    Bear in mind that is just how my deck evolved. I leave no guarantees it was in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Bear in mind that is just how my deck evolved. I leave no guarantees it was in the right direction.
    the 4x shrieking affliction is probably a very good addition; i've played it in modern 8 rack, but never legacy.
    if your opponent keeps cards in hand to avoid the 3 life loss, then all your discard is still live.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    the 4x shrieking affliction is probably a very good addition; i've played it in modern 8 rack, but never legacy.
    if your opponent keeps cards in hand to avoid the 3 life loss, then all your discard is still live.
    You would be surprised how many opponents empty their hands even with affliction on the table. Often playing that surplus land they don't need. Maybe it is a sign they feel they are going to lose anyway.

Dec 2010
    Prague

The deck:

4Bloodghast
    2Tombstalker
    4Shrieking Affliction
    1Buried Alive
    4Hymn to Toura...
    What a cool deck! I bought my last big Pox today. I will definetly try this soon! (I just need some cool old same swamps)

The question I have: wouldnt Cabal Therapy be perfect fit for this list? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Glad you like it

I am no big fan of 1-för-1 discard. It has happened too often that I've been discarded to Oblivion but still won the match.
    That I have Inquisitions in this latest list is because I wanted to improve the mana curve. There is a ton of expensive spells in the deck.
    Cabal therapy are great with veteran explorer, and young Pyromancer, but not really with Bloodghast.

After facing Grixis control last Tuesday I added two Darkblast to the deck. As luck would have it my opponents played, Delver, Delver , Maverick and Delver (in that order)

The deck:

4 Bloodghast
    2 Tombstalker
    4 Shrieking Affliction
    1 Buried Alive
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Collective Brutality
    4 Smallpox
    4 Pox
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Darkblast
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Polluted Delta
    4 Marsh Flats
    13 Swamp
    1 Wasteland

SIDEBOARD
    4 Surgical Extraction
    3 Vampire Hexmage
    4 Pithing Needle
    4 Engineered Plague

Exciting games but i can't recall that much. Most interesting thing was that my opponents tested Pteramander. It may stay, as extra delvers, but the original is probably better.
    I'm curious what are you bringing in Vampire Hexmage for? You don't seem to be affected by Chalice of the Void as your curve is quite balanced, is it just for JtmS and Chandra? I do want to try this out, but I only have 3 Surgical's, could you see a 2/2 or 3/1 split of Surgical/Extirpate or am I better off with something else?

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

The sideboard is always a work in progress. In this case the hexmage was a test. In theory it has several match ups were it is useful, particularly any deck with dark depths. Problem is that it takes both hexmage and Smallpox to get rid of the token. That is a two piece combo. To the Slaughter otoh is a one piece combo.
    So, hexmage is probably destined to be put back in the binder.

As for surgicals and all that note that surgicals and leyline have different functions, but the reason I don't run both is to not have too much gy hate in the 15.
    Leyline of the void have the advantage of being safe from discard (since it is in play at start.) I find that card better. Its stops dredge, lands and Reanimator hard, and is useful vs Maverick and decks with snapcaster, past in flames etc.
    Now and then do i test surgical but soon go back to leyline.
    Therefore both Leyline and Engineered Plague are usually four of in the sb.
    Last edited by Hardcore; 02-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Dec 2010
    Prague

And how to deal with opponents leylines (black, white), rips, chalices? Particularly removing our grave is painful as we have hard time to kill then.

Tom

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Koplinchen View Post
    And how to deal with opponents leylines (black, white), rips, chalices? Particularly removing our grave is painful as we have hard time to kill then.

Tom

The cards you mention are just an annoyance to me. For the more traditional Smallpox deck they could be a problem however. Try splashing a colour for enchantment hate in sb, or perhaps run nevinyrral's disk or ratchet bombs.

New card for my pox deck! I run a Bloodghast aggro Pox deck. Cabal Therapist is absolutely going in my sideboard. Vs spell heavy combo, out 4 Innocent Blood, in 4 Cabal Therapist.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Some new fun cards for Pox would be welcome. I am not impressed by this card however. Not in Pox, but definitely in a suicide build!

Some new fun cards for Pox would be welcome. I am not impressed by this card however. Not in Pox, but definitely in a suicide build!
    Well, if there is any chance to see some more Pox like cards, it will be in Modern Horizons. Fingers crossed.

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

I have heard of this horizons thing but doesn't now anything about it. Is it the next expansion or something to the side?

I have heard of this horizons thing but doesn't now anything about it. Is it the next expansion or something to the side?
    Something to the side. Its a supplemental set that bypasses standard and goes directly into modern (and, by extension, i would assume legacy and vintage as well).

Regarding the card, i think regular cabal therapy would work better if that was the effect you want. It is a turn faster at a minimum, can still be flash backed for the second activation, and i think the amount of times you get the engine going with this card and spirit/bloodghast + lands is probably not worth the slowing down. Unless you already have 4x therapy and you wanted copies 5-8. That's my take on it. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Something to the side. Its a supplemental set that bypasses standard and goes directly into modern (and, by extension, i would assume legacy and vintage as well).

Regarding the card, i think regular cabal therapy would work better if that was the effect you want. It is a turn faster at a minimum, can still be flash backed for the second activation, and i think the amount of times you get the engine going with this card and spirit/bloodghast + lands is probably not worth the slowing down. Unless you already have 4x therapy and you wanted copies 5-8. That's my take on it. I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    Correct. In addition to your regular discard suite. But as anyone who has played Pox vs combo knows, you can disrupt them all day, but you still need to put them away. So when your opp has been throughly disrupted, you can beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Correct. In addition to your regular discard suite. But as anyone who has played Pox vs combo knows, you can disrupt them all day, but you still need to put them away. So when your opp has been throughly disrupted, you can beat down.
    Mind sharing a list?

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

Must be top secret tech.

Anyhow, something spicy on mtgtop8- The only 2 Pox lists up are both Chalice decks. One only runs two, the other the full set.
    Other tidbits, no Chains in either. The 2nd has no Cursed Scroll and runs 2 Null Rod in the sideboard.

John O'Keefe
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21232&d=341781&f=LE
    (There is actually a typo on the page. Listed "Mishra" instead of "Mishra's Factory")

24 LANDS
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Mishra's Factory
    11 Swamp
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    1 CREATURES
    1 Nether Spirit
    20 INSTANTS and SORC.
    1 Beseech the Queen
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Toxic Deluge
    15 OTHER SPELLS
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Cursed Scroll
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    1 Nether Void
    1 Trinisphere
    SIDEBOARD
    1 Bontu's Last Reckoning
    1 Dystopia
    2 Helm of Obedience
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Nether Void
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Relic of Progenitus

James Everson
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21410&d=343309&f=LE

23 LANDS
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Maze of Ith
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Polluted Delta
    7 Swamp
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    5 CREATURES
    4 Bloodghast
    1 Nether Spirit
    21 INSTANTS and SORC.
    1 Buried Alive
    4 Collective Brutality
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Diabolic Edict
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Sinkhole
    4 Smallpox
    11 OTHER SPELLS
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Liliana of the Veil
    2 Liliana, the Last Hope
    2 Nether Void
    SIDEBOARD
    1 Bitterblossom
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Null Rod
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Sinkhole
    2 Toxic Deluge
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

I haven't seen a list with dystopia in a long time. Talk about a blast from the past.

Does it provide the other decks that were top? with chalice, voids and trinisphere, seems like they were really playing anti-storm pox (if i understand the card choices), right?

Also interesting to note as both ran the full set of dark rituals and both ran some sinkholes, something many here have gotten away from a little bit (myself included).

Jul 2014
    Poxadelphia

I haven't seen a list with dystopia in a long time. Talk about a blast from the past.

Does it provide the other decks that were top? with chalice, voids and trinisphere, seems like they were really playing anti-storm pox (if i understand the card choices), right?

Also interesting to note as both ran the full set of dark rituals and both ran some sinkholes, something many here have gotten away from a little bit (myself included).
    1st list (Dystopia list) meta 28 peeps
    1 D&T
    2 Lands
    3/4 Depths
    3/4 Pox
    5/8 4c Control
    5/8 Depths
    5/8 Grixis Control
    5/8 Miracles (R splash for Hydroblast & Pyroblast)

2nd list meta 27 peeps
    1 Sneak & Show
    2 Miracles
    3/4 Depths
    3/4 Grixis Delver
    5/8 Miracles
    5/8 Mono Red Sneak
    5/8 Pox
    5/8 Yuriko (goofy UB Ninja deck. 20 bodies, 2 bitter blossom, normal tempo blue cards, black removal, OH SNAP 3 Far // Away)

Those are pretty small events. When I first saw them I thought they were bit larger. Kind of hard to make a case for anything with such samples.

These are about as far as you can get from what I am currently playing, but I might try something similar in the near future.

Both are also running 2 Nether Void and no other Legends enchantments.
    [I'll photograph your wedding for Reserved List cards]
    BEST PEASANT CUBE EVER.
    http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/35136
    900 Card Monstrosity. IG: naynayscube

Thread Information