Page 231 of 263 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,620 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Ponder is good in Pox, Brainstorm is not.
    Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Why is that?
    Fetchlands fuel Brainstorm and Pox doesn't usually have enough room to get enough (7-8) to make Brainstorm reliable. There aren't other shuffle effects to augment it either, unless you build them into it (like Expedition Map.) Ponder has it's own shuffle effect if the top 3 cards are bad.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Fetchlands fuel Brainstorm and Pox doesn't usually have enough room to get enough (7-8) to make Brainstorm reliable. There aren't other shuffle effects to augment it either, unless you build them into it (like Expedition Map.) Ponder has it's own shuffle effect if the top 3 cards are bad.
    Wrong. You don't play Brainstorm because Pox is a active, not a reactive deck. T1 you rather play discard or Innocent Blood. T2 Hymn or Pox. T3 either waste and 2 Mana spell or drop threats. At what point while playing Pox do you hold up mana for a instant speed Brainstorm? You dont. You do use Ponder late game to find more discard vs combo, more lands if need be etc. Pox can run plenty of fetches, but if you are casting your cantrip at sorcery speed, and usually late game with a low hand count, Ponder is the better card.

Another 1 mana removal option:
    Defile - B - Instant
    Target creature gets -1/-1 until EOT for each swamp you control.

Not sure it will replace anything but i guess some lists might like it. Work well with urborg/duals but has the downside of targeting.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Depending on how fast you can get hellbent (or discard ghasts/dredgeable things):

For those who may be at work:
    Mind Rake - 2B - Sorcery
    Target player discards 2 cards.
    Overload 1B - pay 1B and all players discard 2 cards instead.

Depending on how fast you can get hellbent (or discard ghasts/dredgeable things):

For those who may be at work:
    Mind Rake - 2B - Sorcery
    Target player discards 2 cards.
    Overload 1B - pay 1B and all players discard 2 cards instead.
    In what world would you want to pay 5 mana to make all players discard 2 cards?

Every other post of yours is you condescendingly telling someone how cards work and being wrong lol

Overload is an alternate cost. It would cost in total.

Bloodsun does not work the way you think it does.

Yep. Somehow I forgot how overload works. I concede this one. I guess I just never saw a overload card where the alt cost is actually cheaper then the regular cost and misread what the card does. I can see how the card may have a use in a Pox deck. ( It's not bad to be wrong about something, it is wrong to not admit it when you are. I was wrong. )

Yep. Somehow I forgot how overload works. I concede this one. I guess I just never saw a overload card where the alt cost is actually cheaper then the regular cost and misread what the card does. I can see how the card may have a use in a Pox deck. ( It's not bad to be wrong about something, it is wrong to not admit it when you are. I was wrong. )
    I actually first thought of modern when I saw that card since, I think, the lists I've seen are white/black with lingering souls to go with ghasts thus would be more apt to discard their own cards. But, as it turns out, there are a lot more varieties to pox lists (ahem, unearth/snappy builds) than I knew of so who knows if it will stick anywhere.

Some reports for the hell of it.

Aggro pox list:
    Main: 60

4 Pox
    4 SmallPox
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Innocent Blood
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Liliana of the Veil
    4 Shrieking Aflliction
    4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Gurmag Angler
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope
    4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Wasteland
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Bloodstained Mire
    11 Swamp

Side: 15

4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Bitterblossom
    2 Pithing Needle
    4 Surgical Extraction
    3 Lost Legacy

Tubro Town events (one-off best of 3):
    Aggro pox (me) Vs Oscar from Phoenix on "15 post planeswalker" (basically big mana deck and karns, ugins, the lattice lock).
    G1 on the draw: Had strong disruption from a hymn, then a wasteland, then a small pox. Dropped a gurmag, then he played a new karn to wish for an ensnaring bridge. IoK takes care of that next turn and he scoops.

G2 on the draw: I board in needles for his PWs, I see 1 in my opneing 7 and first draw is a second one. unfortinately, he T1 a chalice on 1 so the dream is crushed. I had tons of pox effects but he kept pooping out karnstruct tokens. I can get him down to 3 from poxing and ghasts before he starts glimmerposting back and eventually he gets the lattice lock.

G3 on the play: He curves nicely with a sol land -> grim monolith. I small pox t2 to rid him of the sol land, but he has more. Gets his karn/lattice lock on t 3 or 4. I just don't have anything for artifacts/instant PW removal in my build.

Then went over and played his friend (whose name i didn't get) that has been running vial goblins for a long time it sounds.
    G1 he gets vials and goblins does his thing. Krenko gets out and starts making friends and I am quickly overrun, even with big poxes.
    G2 I realize the error of my ways with no wraths or targeted removal in main or board. I get 3 small poxes early to slow him down, but eventually I tap out to piledriver.

Played Seth on grixis death's shadow. No notes for G1, but small pox, wastelands, and gasts get me there. I suspect he is on death's shadow by the shocks and street wraith but next saw it. G2 he gets me with the shadow. G3 we have an epic battle. He goes down quick and drops a decent sized early shadow (something like fetch - shocks, street wraith cycle x2, then thoughtsieze me on t1). I get him hellbent through discard to make sure he is free of counters then big pox away his shadow and most of his life. Drop a lili to get a soft lock going then follow up with a gurmangler for the win.

Then did the legacy double up event, same Aggro pox.
    R1 against Austin on B/R goblins (boooo).
    R1G1, I am on the draw. He mulls to 6, then drops a t1 vial. I follow up by IoK his lackey. T2 I hymn him to get the matron and a mountain (which is not needed with the vials really). I get him hellbent and drop an affliction to start taking him down. I drop a second one so he starts holding cards. I big pox him and that gets me there on the following upkeep. I only took fetch and pox damage this game.
    R1G2 I am on the draw. He T1 lackey which I don't have an innocent blood for. After lacking pokes me in the eye he drops a Krenko and I can't keep up from there.
    R1G3 I am on the play. Similar to game 2, he t1 lackey but doesn't get his krenko until T3. I get him helbent and slow the game down a little bit for my affliction, but its not enough and Krenko's friends finish me off.

1-2 games, 0-1 rounds.

R2 against Tyler on RUG Delver/Canadian Threshold.
    R2G1 I am on the draw. Turn one THE GOOSE IS LOOSE!. My innocent blood gets dazed. My next one gets spell pierced. I deal with the goose on T3 with a small pox, discarding ghast. I floated mana for my affliction. He hold cards so I IoK a counter then drop an angler. He deploys a TNN to stop him but I innocent blood it away, sacing my ghast. GG.
    R2G2 I am on the draw. Unfortunately for Tyler I pretty much had a dream god hand. 2 swamps, 2 IoK, 2 hymn and a lili. My next 4 cards were 2 more hymns, affliction, and an angler. He scooped to that.

3-2 games, 1-1 rounds.
    R3 was against an arclight deck, but we ID to secure prize tickets.

----------------------

BG Loam pox. I cheated and ran AruSulato's list from here: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1062340
    with a few minor adjustments (4 bayou, +1 scrubland, +1 hymn, -1 duress, -1 GB fastland, -1 swamp). I've never played a loam deck so I wasn't sure how it would go. Tried to get a practice round in and it seemed straightforward (if a bit slower of a win con compared to aggro pox).
    List:
    Spells

4x ENTOMB
    2x LIFE FROM THE LOAM
    2x LILIANA OF THE VEIL
    3x SMALLPOX
    2x FATAL PUSH
    3x ABRUPT DECAY
    1x ASSASSIN TROPHY
    1x MAELSTROM PULSE
    1x GO FOR THE THROAT
    4x HYMN TO TOURACH
    1x INQUISITION OF KOZILEK
    1x LINGERING SOULS
    1x NETHER SPIRIT
    1x GOLGARI BROWNSCALE
    2x MOX DIAMOND
    1x SYLVAN LIBRARY
    1x PERNICIOUS DEED
    1x DARKBLAST
    3x INNOCENT BLOOD
    4x VERDANT CATACOMBS
    4x BAYOU
    1x Scrubland
    1x WOODLAND CEMETERY
    3x URBORG, tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x BARREN MOOR
    1x SWAMP
    1x FOREST
    1x CABAL PIT
    4x WASTELAND
    1x MISHRA'S FACTORY

Sideboard

2x SADISTIC SACRAMENT
    2x ENGINEERED PLAGUE
    1x CHOKE
    1x LEYLINE OF THE VOID
    1x COFFIN PURGE
    1x KROSAN RECLAMATION
    2x Surgical
    1x GOLGARI CHARM
    1x RAVEN'S CRIME
    1x AKUTA, BORN OF ASHES
    1x DAMPING SPHERE
    1x BONTU'S LAST RECKONING

After the beatings received from goblins yesterday I wanted to see if this would fare any better. Spoiler: i didn't face any goblins.

Legacy double up event:
    R1G1 vs Zack from Jonseborogh, Arkansas. He was on UR Delver with Arcanist. I am on the play. Opening hand seems ok but has a lot of mana. He lands an early delver that I innocent blood away. T2 wasteland his volc, T3 I hymn, which he forces exiling a ponder (must have had something important in there). Next turn TNN. Followed up with a YP that I fatally push off the ship. I flood out the rest of the game and My nemesis lives up to its name.

R1G2 I bring in engineered plauges from the board, a choke, and golgari charm. Doesn't matter, I see a cabal pit and two colorless lands in my hand and I keep it (mistake). He wastelands the pit and I don't draw enough colored mana for my spells. easy game for him. I think a protected delver got me here.
    0-2 games, 0-1 round.

R2G1 vs Enchantress (I didn't write down his name, but he was from Mississippi). I am on the play. I fetch and pass to him, he goes forest ->wild growth. I drop another fetch and wait for him to play his enchantress which I quickly I blood away, and then small pox the next one and his land. I get him landless with only a mirri's guile out. I think about landing a threat or dealing with the guile (he missed his land drop after one guile peek), and decide its best not to let him back in and abruptly decay the guile. He scoops after that.
    R2G2, My sideboard was similar to game 1. He helps me out by dropping a sylvan library and taking 8 off the first activation. I drop a factory to apply some pressure. He lands some elephant grasses to buy him time but they eventually can't be paid for. I think i small pox an enchantress this game but factor gets me in there.

2-2 games, 1-1 rounds. ID round 3 to get enough tickets for a box and some sleeves.

I definitely need practice and will tailor the BG pox to my liking. I like that is has a little more legs in the longer game. I just need to get better at playing it.
    Last edited by ronco; 06-10-2019 at 04:06 PM.

2 other Aggro pox games.

played another version of the Karn/lattice deck. Went 0-2 but did get to ultimate lili last Hope and after one swing he managed to pull big Ugin to -x every turn (x at 0) to exile my tokens each turn.
    And played a pox mirror and went 2-0. His list was more traditional (sinkhole, cursed scroll) but with new davriel and ashiook. We both get the game to little quickly but my affliction and ghasts work faster than davriel. Game 2 I get both lili going and an affliction again for the win. He was self mulling with ashiook to look for a gurmag to return with lili last hope that he never saw. Sounded a little inefficient but maybe there was something else going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for all the posts, found one more round to report on with aggro pox.
    R1G1 - dude plays 2 plains, I hymn 2 plains out of his hand, then i ask if he has anything but plains in his deck. Says no, then drops. Apparently he just wanted the entry prize.
    R2G1 - Christopher on DnT. I am on the play. I IoK and he has 2 vials and a mom, I think i took the mom becuase one vial is too many so it doens't matter. In hingsight maybe that was the wrong thought process. I hymn next turn as he starts upticking vials and i get a palace jailer and flickerwisp. I wasteland and small pox all his lands and get him hellbent and start putting pressure on him. He eventually draws a SFM and fetches up a jitte. Then gets a recruiter and a thalia next turn. I can only big pox and eventually lose.
    In come plauges and needles.
    R2G2. I get a t1 needle on vial, he drops a mom. I hymn some things out of his hand. He drops a port and a Jitte. I follow up with 2 shrieking afflictions then a lili next turn to start locking. He gets a batterskull and has enough to dispose of liliana, but I can deal with the germ token. He doesn't have enough land to bounce/equip but does have enough for a SoFi. I get an engineering plague on humans (not sure if the right move or not) and then second needle on the SoFi. We go back and forth and i get him to 9 from afflictions but then he managed to top deck better than I and gets his batterskull going again. Gets a palace jailer out and becomes the monarch and out draws me. This was a very long game.

0-2 games, 1-1 matches (if you can even count the first one)

Mar 2012
    Gothenburg, Sweden

Thanks for those reports!

I run a similar list, but I always include four Engineered Plague in the sb. Now, with MH, I will also add two - three Dead of Winter in main.
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    hardcore is our resident aggro pox master, hopefully he can help you

"Pox early, Pox often, and Pox hard!" - Le_Lepreux

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    Thanks for those reports!

I run a similar list, but I always include four Engineered Plague in the sb. Now, with MH, I will also add two - three Dead of Winter in main.
    I was also thinking of testing Dead Of Winter. If we are going snow lands, is Scrying Sheets worth a look? I wish there was more payoff for using snow lands.

- The BG deck definitely wants to play Blast Zone and most likely the new BG Horizon canopy
    - I think mono B versions almost certainly should play blast zone and there is a chance even monoblack versions can play some number of the black horizon canopies, especially if you have crucible
    - I don't understand the appeal of Dead of Winter, I think there is a very narrow situation where this card is better than Drown in Sorrow / Cry of the Carnarium (Probably don't want that one in Netherspirit/Bloodghast deck) / Bontus Reckoning / Toxic Deluge. The fact it doesn't count your non-snow swamps makes it not combo well with Urborg and we have no Snow creatures to take advantage of the asymmetry.

Like if you're only killing some small creatures then Deluge doesn't cost very much life and if you need to kill some big creatures well at least Deluge gives you the option whereas dread of winter probably does nothing? It seems very unlikely that you're going to be able to Dread of Winter e.g. Gurmag Angler in most situations and the utility lands are so important that I don't think it's going to be worth cutting them for more basic swamps. Scrying Sheets: I think it costs too much mana and will whiff too much of the time, I think would rather have a card with a consistent payoff like Geier Reach sanitarium / Minamo but idk if this is even good enough

The G1 of ronco vs the post PW deck is an example of why I think I like ritual now:
    When you are casting smallpox with no Crucible/PW in play you aren't really advancing your gameplan in a meaningful way and if you are using smallpox just as LD and not even killing a creature then it's card disadvantage for you, and the opponent can easily topdeck their way out of it. When you have a Davriel or especially Crucible/Liliana in play then you are getting ahead while you trade resources with smallpox and I think this is very important

Regarding FoW on Hymn exiling Ponder:
    It's usually correct to FoW Hymns because
    1. You're going to be discarding 2 even if you let hymn resolve so you might as well get some control over what you're getting rid of
    2. If you already get 2-for-1ed by Hymn discarding 2 non-FoW cards and then you end up keeping FoW in your hand, then your only option to use FoW involves 2-for-1ing yourself AGAIN and this is usually backbreaking (especially vs Pox)

I like the decay on the mirris guile because if he missed a land drop then you know hes going to also miss it for the next 2 turns at least

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    The G1 of ronco vs the post PW deck is an example of why I think I like ritual now:
    When you are casting smallpox with no Crucible/PW in play you aren't really advancing your gameplan in a meaningful way and if you are using smallpox just as LD and not even killing a creature then it's card disadvantage for you, and the opponent can easily topdeck their way out of it. When you have a Davriel or especially Crucible/Liliana in play then you are getting ahead while you trade resources with smallpox and I think this is very important

Regarding FoW on Hymn exiling Ponder:
    It's usually correct to FoW Hymns because
    1. You're going to be discarding 2 even if you let hymn resolve so you might as well get some control over what you're getting rid of
    2. If you already get 2-for-1ed by Hymn discarding 2 non-FoW cards and then you end up keeping FoW in your hand, then your only option to use FoW involves 2-for-1ing yourself AGAIN and this is usually backbreaking (especially vs Pox)

I like the decay on the mirris guile because if he missed a land drop then you know hes going to also miss it for the next 2 turns at least
    Thanks for the feedback. FoW the hymn makes sense looked at it that way.
    I picked up a set of blast zones after the prerelease as many people at my lgs weren't terribly interested in them. I haven't tested them yet but I definitely think they could have a place.

Question - and its probably a game state situation - but do you try to stick a lili first or pox first to clear the way? I had been playing SP first to generally weaken my opponent and then drop lili when the coast is somewhat clear to get the soft lock going. Is this the correct way to approach it? Some times I was aggressive with the poxes when my opponent was on sol lands to try to disrupt the ramp, but against more fair decks I still was playing smallpox early to keep the game state slow. Maybe i am not playing that right.

Thanks for the feedback. FoW the hymn makes sense looked at it that way.
    I picked up a set of blast zones after the prerelease as many people at my lgs weren't terribly interested in them. I haven't tested them yet but I definitely think they could have a place.

Question - and its probably a game state situation - but do you try to stick a lili first or pox first to clear the way? I had been playing SP first to generally weaken my opponent and then drop lili when the coast is somewhat clear to get the soft lock going. Is this the correct way to approach it? Some times I was aggressive with the poxes when my opponent was on sol lands to try to disrupt the ramp, but against more fair decks I still was playing smallpox early to keep the game state slow. Maybe i am not playing that right.
    Yeah its difficult to answer this as a generalisation but when not under any immediate pressure I will usually try to wait. If you smallpox on 2 lands going down to 1 land then you need 2 more lands before you can cast your Liliana again. Additionally if you cast Smallpox and your opponent has no creature then they lose 1 land and 1 hand and you lose 1 land and 1 hand AND the Smallpox. Without anything to gain incremental advantage in the meantime you won't win long-term if you make too many of these exchanges.

There are some factors that mitigate this:
    - You can have (or topdeck) a Ritual to deploy Liliana on a boardstate where you have only 1-2 lands
    - If your opponent can't cast anything because you smallpox their land away, and you think they don't have any additional land drops in hand, then if you manascrew both players you will generally topdeck out of it more successfully because the Pox deck probably has a much higher proportion of lands in it

New spoilers:
    For decks running edits/2 mana removal, if you are ok with sorcery speed there is now conditional exile removal, with possible for bonus:

I don't think its an auto include, but some versions of the deck might be interested?

edit:
    Since the image didn't seem to load properly:
    Legion's End - 1B - Sorcery
    Exile target creature an opponent controls with CMC 2 or less and all other creatures that player controls with the same name. They reveal their hand and exile all cards with the same name and exile all cards in their graveyard with that name as well.
    Last edited by ronco; 06-18-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Rotting Regisaur {2}{B}

Creature — Zombie Dinosaur

7/6

At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card.

Definitely need to test as sideboard vs. decks light on removal (combo). 3 turn clock for 3 cmc?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Rotting Regisaur {2}{B}

Creature — Zombie Dinosaur

7/6

At the beginning of your upkeep, discard a card.

Definitely need to test as sideboard vs. decks light on removal (combo). 3 turn clock for 3 cmc?
    In my testing, pox decks running dark ritual love this card.

Thread Information