Page 243 of 263 FirstFirst ... 143193233239240241242243244245246247253 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Any problems in particular you looking to solve?
    Nothing came that screamed Pox to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Lurrus opens up repeated use of Hexmage which is pretty good, even without depths. Others have suggest baubles for card draw, spellbombs, EE, and I think if you realllly stretched gatekeeper of malakir and yaroks fenlurker could be used by some. You can def brew a lot of changes there and with flexibility for whatever removal you'd like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Sep 2011

Yeah Lurrus looks strong here.

You don't even need to waste space on Baubles. Pox is an attrition deck that needs to grind out card advantage and struggles with finding a win condition and managing its life total. A lifelinking Commander that provides card advantage is everything the deck needs, and it doesn't take up a draw step.

The biggest drawback is losing Liliana. But you can also recur Chains of Mephistopheles for all the lulz against other Lurrus decks. Lurrus fits into the Hexmage-Depths variant and the 8Rack variant pretty easily.

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I'm hoping the companion mechanic is banned in Legacy, but if it isn't, moving forward I would highly suggest playing Lurrus in your sideboard of Pox. You are significantly handicapped if you don't. You lose Liliana PW's but you get absurd grind power in exchange.
    That's a cool idea actually. You lower the curve of the deck. But is losing Liliana of the Veil worth grinding even longer games? What could replace her I wonder. Ooh. This opens up Black Vise possibilities for LD flavor!!
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Lurrus, the Dream-den with Ratchet Bombs, Blight and Vampire Hexmage. Black Vise, Oh My... The kicker creatures mentioned sound interesting. Losing Lilianas allows big Pox to return. Is there a way outside Life from the Loam to keep mana on the field? Charcoal Diamonds?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Lurrus, the Dream-den with Ratchet Bombs, Blight and Vampire Hexmage. Black Vise, Oh My... The kicker creatures mentioned sound interesting. Losing Lilianas allows big Pox to return. Is there a way outside Life from the Loam to keep mana on the field? Charcoal Diamonds?
    If staying in mono black there is Grim Discovery mentioned a while back. Works nicely with depths/hexmage obviously...
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think you just max out on Dark Ritual. It takes up space but allows you to have the mana you need in the mid- late game.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Bunch of matches streamed of Adachi Ryosuki playing pox on The Legacy Pit.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/610601751

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    I noticed the Karn. Is there a current list? For research. lol I do intend to try a Lurrus Nightmare kitty approach but just wondering. Being able to bring back Quad Big Pox in place of Liliana for GY abuse is too tempting...

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

I'm all in on this thread. Just waiting for something glorious.

Around the 32 minute mark, Travis draws a card with Chains of Mephistopheles in play.
    He didn't discard, sad...

Quote Originally Posted by non-inflammable View Post
    I'm all in on this thread. Just waiting for something glorious.

Around the 32 minute mark, Travis draws a card with Chains of Mephistopheles in play.
    He didn't discard, sad...
    Yeah, there were a few misplays, Adachi innocent bloods but doesn't sac a creature, and on a couple occasions life points were missed on BBs. I think some of it is just the difficulty playing remotely online vs having cards in front of you. I think the decklist was provided as follows:

2 Vampire Hexmage
    4 dark rit
    4 innocent blood
    4 thoughtseize
    4 smallpox
    2 hymn
    2 nether void
    1 cursed scroll
    1 ensnaring brige
    1 pyrexian toem
    4 lili OTV
    2 lili, LH
    2 karn tGC
    9 snow-covered swamp
    4 factory
    4 urborg
    4 wasteland
    2 castle locthwain
    1 bojuka bog
    1 cabl pit
    1 maze of ith
    1 tabby

SB:
    1 lost legacy
    2 bitterblossom
    1 chains
    2 e. plague
    4 leyling OTV
    2 pithing needle
    1 liquimetal coating
    1 crucible
    1 ensnaring bridge
    Last edited by ronco; 05-06-2020 at 04:34 PM.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3009914#online

My first untested take on a Lurrus Pox LD flavor. Had Cabal Therapies but realized, Black Vising someone is bad if too much hand destruction is present. Combo decks I suppose need Chains of Mephistopheles and Sphere of resistance. I'll MTGO this later when my mind isn't cracked.

Suggestions? No Liliana and big focus on LD jamming their hands means Contamination is an option too but only post-board. Bringing in SB cards doesn't break the Companion rule does it? Can we have 3 cmc permanents boarded in?

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Oh carp. Heard in another thread that Lurrus is meta stomping hard and they're possibly waiting on a ban. Perhaps I wait to pull the trigger on the idea?

I'm waiting on the lurrus train, if nothing else so the price can come down a bit after domestic (US) release. If it gets banned, so be it, but I wonder if its better to run it 3-4x main deck? If you only have the one in companion then as soon as it gets bolted/bounced/countered, whatever, then you have an inferior deck. But running 3 or 4 main gives you chances to come back late game in a hurry. Plus then you can use all the lilis you want!

Edit to add: I LOVE the misinformation in the board. I have no idea if its actually a good idea or not, but I made a misinformation/Volrath's dungeon/agonizing memories deck back in the day and enjoyed the misery it dished out on the rare occasion if worked lol. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Oh carp. Heard in another thread that Lurrus is meta stomping hard and they're possibly waiting on a ban. Perhaps I wait to pull the trigger on the idea?
    I highly suggest you wait it out, if you can. Lurrus has an insane meta saturation ATM. However, results are small and only online. All of the companions are being tested in one way or another, but take that with a grain of salt (everyone testing new cards.) Gyruda has it's own combo deck, Jegantha is seeing some play in Lands, Yorion is being tested in Miracles (yes with 80 cards maindeck), Obosh is being tested in Shadow/Grixis shells, and Yirda is seeing play in Bomberman/artifact combo decks. Of all of them Lurrus is easily the most powerful and the one with the biggest impact so far.

@ronco: I don't think Lurrus is a maindeckable card, but maybe I'm way wrong on that. What you give up isn't necessarily worth the tradeoff in my opinion. I think with him in the sideboard, you always have a threat/value engine at your disposal which doesn't dilute your maindeck plan. In your maindeck makes him just another creature that dies to bolt that could have been a Hymn/Sinkhole/Bitterblossom/etc. On the positive side, if you play him maindeck and not as a companion you can still run all your 3+ permanents.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

@ronco: I don't think Lurrus is a maindeckable card, but maybe I'm way wrong on that. What you give up isn't necessarily worth the tradeoff in my opinion. I think with him in the sideboard, you always have a threat/value engine at your disposal which doesn't dilute your maindeck plan. In your maindeck makes him just another creature that dies to bolt that could have been a Hymn/Sinkhole/Bitterblossom/etc. On the positive side, if you play him maindeck and not as a companion you can still run all your 3+ permanents.
    Well, either way slots will be taken up with something. If Lurrus is the companion, then 3CMC permanents get axed for something that, outside of Lurrus, is worse (otherwise we'd already be running them, right?). So why not get the best of both worlds and keep both the best 3CMC permanents and a few new ones to recurr with Lurrus MD, giving us, I would think, a better chance to have it survive a top decked bolt/stp/something and put the nail in the coffin, whereas the companion one gets bolted after we put a ???? back into play and.... 2 for 1 i guess but I don't think that's a true back breaking play to build around as it currently stands.

But, I'm likely wrong as I seem to be in most areas of magic these days haha. I'll tinker with it at some point I just haven't been able to yet, but that is the direction I'll probably start at least.

completely off topic of Lurrus, has anyone built some of the common pox builds on MTGO? How much would a full deck and/or pox "collection" run on there? Thinking about making a jump to be able to play more, but I'm totally clueless on how that all works online.

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

completely off topic of Lurrus, has anyone built some of the common pox builds on MTGO? How much would a full deck and/or pox "collection" run on there? Thinking about making a jump to be able to play more, but I'm totally clueless on how that all works online.
    I'm in love with MtgO. The ancient old school Pox decks run under $100!! Also having Tabernacles and Chains of Mephistopheles cheap enough to run a playset! Not that it's necessary... The only real nuisance is probably the phase changing clickiness of it all. Luckily, Pox normally doesn't cast instants or abilities except for Cursed scroll EoT goofiness. The skip to my main phase option is our best friend. Also, MtGO will crash when an enemy's Ensnaring Bridge can't be popped and you control a Liliana of the Last Hope Emblem... Let it run for 5 turns and hope... I couldn't Land jam him and crashed the game with dozens of zombies waiting. I really could have used a Nether Void then...

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

I'm waiting on the lurrus train, if nothing else so the price can come down a bit after domestic (US) release. If it gets banned, so be it, but I wonder if its better to run it 3-4x main deck? If you only have the one in companion then as soon as it gets bolted/bounced/countered, whatever, then you have an inferior deck. But running 3 or 4 main gives you chances to come back late game in a hurry. Plus then you can use all the lilis you want!

Edit to add: I LOVE the misinformation in the board. I have no idea if its actually a good idea or not, but I made a misinformation/Volrath's dungeon/agonizing memories deck back in the day and enjoyed the misery it dished out on the rare occasion if worked lol. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
    It's old school tech from the original thread. People love waiting 3 turns for a land draw or botched Brainstorms.

Well, either way slots will be taken up with something. If Lurrus is the companion, then 3CMC permanents get axed for something that, outside of Lurrus, is worse (otherwise we'd already be running them, right?). So why not get the best of both worlds and keep both the best 3CMC permanents and a few new ones to recurr with Lurrus MD, giving us, I would think, a better chance to have it survive a top decked bolt/stp/something and put the nail in the coffin, whereas the companion one gets bolted after we put a ???? back into play and.... 2 for 1 i guess but I don't think that's a true back breaking play to build around as it currently stands.

But, I'm likely wrong as I seem to be in most areas of magic these days haha. I'll tinker with it at some point I just haven't been able to yet, but that is the direction I'll probably start at least.
    I'm changing my mind on this. I haven't tested companion specifically, but out of curiosity I playtested Adachis list above against my basic (formerly) standard Pirates deck. Pox handled the deck easily (not surprisingly) but it became much more difficult when I gave pirates a starting 8 instead of 7, even on the play, and not even "hiding" it in the companion zone. Sooo, yes, it seems decks are at a distinct disadvantage by not running a companion of some sort, even with the deck building constraints.

Thread Information