Page 251 of 263 FirstFirst ... 151201241247248249250251252253254255261 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,020 of 5245

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Re: [Primer/Deck] Pox

Buried alive for 2 bloodghast 2 amalgam is a 3 cmc threat that beats oko and uro, unlike other options. Seems better to me than vengevine as it has less oppurtunity cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Buried alive for 2 bloodghast 2 amalgam is a 3 cmc threat that beats oko and uro, unlike other options. Seems better to me than vengevine as it has less oppurtunity cost.
    Buried Alive eats a counterspell every time. Also it makes you more all in on the gy plan, and at that point you might as well play dredge cause its faster. The thing about ghast and vine is...they can still be hard cast with a rest in peace on the board.

Vengevine + Pox is a joke idea

The problems with Buried Alive are that

A) you have to put Buried Alive in your deck and also put multiple graveyard-based threats in your deck for the card to work, which is probably more threats than the deck wants to be playing
    B) you actually have to cast the buried alive (a 3-mana spell) whereas if that card was e.g. Nether Spirit or the new Shade you could have it be your threat but also be happy discarding it to smallpox/liliana. (Or if it was a cheaper threat like Shrieking Affliction it would at least be much easier to cast)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    How does Lantern beat Uro/Oko? Or stop Brainstorm/Ponder?
    Maindeck surgical extraction, pithing needle, and Ashiok go a long ways towards attacking those particular cards. Without Chains of Mephistopheles (which I don't own) Brainstorm/Ponder are still the same against my version as any version: really, really powerful. Learning how to play around them is the work of the Pox player. Worse than all of those cards is Veil of Summer, it just blows Pox out of the water. The good news about Lantern Pox is that Ensnaring bridge does so much work against creatures that I don't really need supplemental removal, which leaves room for answers to PW's.

The real question I need to particularly answer is: why haven't I purchased Karns yet? Its obviously the direction that would work best.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Remnant of the worst Case Scenario, an Immortal

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Maindeck surgical extraction, pithing needle, and Ashiok go a long ways towards attacking those particular cards. Without Chains of Mephistopheles (which I don't own) Brainstorm/Ponder are still the same against my version as any version: really, really powerful. Learning how to play around them is the work of the Pox player. Worse than all of those cards is Veil of Summer, it just blows Pox out of the water. The good news about Lantern Pox is that Ensnaring bridge does so much work against creatures that I don't really need supplemental removal, which leaves room for answers to PW's.

The real question I need to particularly answer is: why haven't I purchased Karns yet? Its obviously the direction that would work best.
    Getting Karn to resolve is an asymmetrical Null Rod, allowing Pox to Cursed Scroll and Phyrexian Totem without restraint. Mycosynth Lattice is just win as Karn starts an infinite LD loop turning artifacted lands into 0/0 creatures. Unfortunately, unless you're on artifact mana acceleration or lucky enough to draw 2 Dark Rituals, it's a gamble play. Pox can stall till it hits the 6th land drop. Ensnaring Bridge in the wishboard makes for easy defense.

I think the other bomb Planeswalker is Liliana, Waker of the dead. She's nearly identical to OG Lili but with a less powerful ultimate. Having her melt a Marit Lage token is one of the best feelings in the world. Unlike OG Lili, she can actually kill you. The ultimate is far too slow to compete and steal enemy Hogaaks...
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Quote Originally Posted by OmniStrata View Post
    Getting Karn to resolve is an asymmetrical Null Rod, allowing Pox to Cursed Scroll and Phyrexian Totem without restraint. Mycosynth Lattice is just win as Karn starts an infinite LD loop turning artifacted lands into 0/0 creatures. Unfortunately, unless you're on artifact mana acceleration or lucky enough to draw 2 Dark Rituals, it's a gamble play. Pox can stall till it hits the 6th land drop. Ensnaring Bridge in the wishboard makes for easy defense.

I think the other bomb Planeswalker is Liliana, Waker of the dead. She's nearly identical to OG Lili but with a less powerful ultimate. Having her melt a Marit Lage token is one of the best feelings in the world. Unlike OG Lili, she can actually kill you. The ultimate is far too slow to compete and steal enemy Hogaaks...
    It's probably better than the other 4-mana Liliana but idk if that's enough of a reward for what you're paying for it
    It might be worse than Davriel even

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    It's probably better than the other 4-mana Liliana but idk if that's enough of a reward for what you're paying for it
    It might be worse than Davriel even
    Are you referring to Dark Realms or Untouched by Death? Neither of them resemble of the Veil and both run counter to a Pox Strategy, the former could be in a weird Death Cloud variant and the latter is obviously for the Zombie tribal archetype. Too bad it's not strong enough to be playable... Merfolk, Goblins, Elves and (lol) Eldrazi are the tribal agro decks I see. More gobs and Eldrazi, less so the other two. Was Davriel ever considered due to being a weaker Liliana with a micro Rack effect?
    Three Lilianas to rule them all. One Pox to find them. Smallpox to bring them all and in the Sinkhole bind them!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Good points, I actually have 3 Cursed Scrolls already to help feed Mox Opal, which is the acceleration it needs. I am toying with an Ancient Tomb, maybe some number of Rituals, but overall I've been happy with Opals feeding the Lantern/mill-rocks/Bridge plan. I think if I go with Karn it would mean 3 Bridge main, 1 sideboard, which makes room for 1 Karn right away. The other 1-2 copies can be squeezed in somehow.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Are you referring to Dark Realms or Untouched by Death? Neither of them resemble of the Veil and both run counter to a Pox Strategy, the former could be in a weird Death Cloud variant and the latter is obviously for the Zombie tribal archetype. Too bad it's not strong enough to be playable... Merfolk, Goblins, Elves and (lol) Eldrazi are the tribal agro decks I see. More gobs and Eldrazi, less so the other two. Was Davriel ever considered due to being a weaker Liliana with a micro Rack effect?
    I meant Dark Realms, definitely not enough tribal synergy for the other one
    I think Davriel is okay, but there is a lot of competition for that space on the curve (Crucible of Worlds, Ensnaring Bridge, Lilliana Last Hope, Phyrexian Totem etc)

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Can you escape Cling to Dust to dodge a Surgical Extraction by casting it against a random card in their yard?

Can you escape Cling to Dust to dodge a Surgical Extraction by casting it against a random card in their yard?
    tldr: Yes
    (When you cast cling it goes from the graveyard to the stack, then cling will resolve and go back into your graveyard, but as a new/different object than the one the Surgical originally targeted, so the surgical fizzles because its target has disappeared)

Mar 2010
    Metropolis Prime

Borrowing an old Blueprint from Kroxa, I've come up with this monstrosity for use on MTGO:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3466806

Anyone have a suggestion to make room for Silent Gravestone in the Sideboard? Targeting Kroxa hurts. Or could Witchbane Orb do it?

The R splash covers the toughest permanent for us Mono B users. The Artifact. Granted, Blast Zone can deal with things like Aether Vial and Pithing Needle, but without help, it can't stop a Chalice of the Void.

Don't know if you people care at all about up to date results, but someone from the Pox discord went 41st place out of 672 at Eternal Weekend with Mono Black Control (no smallpox). I thought it was cool.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BlogBoy View Post
    Don't know if you people care at all about up to date results, but someone from the Pox discord went 41st place out of 672 at Eternal Weekend with Mono Black Control (no smallpox). I thought it was cool.
    i looked for the list but couldn't find it. care to post a link?

Testing Opposition Agent in Pox and it's the real deal. Also let's you run a Maralen lock. Even at its worst. T1 Dark Ritual into Agent in response to a fetch is back breaking. Also gives you game vs combo. Show and Tell player casts Intuition, respond with Agent. Or maybe an Opp casts SFM, respond with Agent. It's actually really sick.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Testing Opposition Agent in Pox and it's the real deal. Also let's you run a Maralen lock. Even at its worst. T1 Dark Ritual into Agent in response to a fetch is back breaking. Also gives you game vs combo. Show and Tell player casts Intuition, respond with Agent. Or maybe an Opp casts SFM, respond with Agent. It's actually really sick.
    I imagine you'd want to lose Smallpox then, since you'd need to consistently hit 3 mana and stay there, plus the whole sacrifice a creature part.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    I imagine you'd want to lose Smallpox then, since you'd need to consistently hit 3 mana and stay there, plus the whole sacrifice a creature part.
    No... The thing about a Agent/Mornsong lock is you need to stop the early creature rush. With Unearth and Volraths Stronghold you can just keep recurring. And like I said, I also run Bloodghasts, which can eat a sac. Agent/Mornsong give a way to end a game out which Pox has been lacking. Also Agent gives Pox a instant speed answer to combo, which also Pox has been lacking. I never have a problem getting 3 mana. Also t2 Smallpox then next turn Unearthing the Agent is a play. The Agent, at its bottom worse, is a instant speed sinkhole/sylvan scrying with a 3/2 body. Not sure how you think that does not belong in a Pox deck. And if I HAVE to sac it to Pox that's fine. You can look at it this way. 3 mana: destroy target land, search opps library and play a land from it, do 3 damage to opp. I know obviously it does not always work out that way. But I think, again we are talking about it's worse use, not big plays like stealing a jitte or a decay, but i think its power is self evident, even just destroying a land, stealing a land, and attacking for 3 is a huge tempo shift.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think this card is going to need some discussion for traditional Pox decks, it's pretty good. It is card advantage with the monarch and a threat as well. Curving Liliana of the Veil into this will be brutal.

Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I think this card is going to need some discussion for traditional Pox decks, it's pretty good. It is card advantage with the monarch and a threat as well. Curving Liliana of the Veil into this will be brutal.

I think if Pox ran this Ensnaring Bridge would have to be main decked.

Thread Information