4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Smokestack
    4 Crucible
    4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Armageddon
    3 Humility
    4 Mox Diamond

I only own 3 Trinispheres at the moment, but it seemed to work out because I felt like I was getting land light hands a lot, so I tossed an extra Plains in. I've been testing on Cockatrice, so I don't know if that's the reason, but it seems like the opponent gets 1 Delver, 1 blue producing land, and 6 counters in every game.

I don't know what I want in the board right now. I might try to nail it down the closer it gets and I find out who all is going to be attending.

Edit: Made a switch in the MD to try out -4 O-Ring for +3 Humility and +1 Trinisphere
    Last edited by Anarky87; 04-10-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Update decklist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

I almost play the exact same list, but with a fourth flagstone and a horizon canopy instead of two factories. In fact, do you find them useful enough to be a 4 of ? What for ? I often need a white mana more than a 2/2 which is likely to chump block early in the game !

My SB for this list is :
    4 leyline of sanctity
    1 sundial of the infinite (i also play one MD instead of a fourth oblivion ring)
    2 humility
    2 elspeth
    1 trading post
    1 karmic justice
    2 cursed totem
    2 timely reinforcement

Lots of one of... Not totally convinced

jungle lion, good?...
    Mar 2010
    Isla de luzón de filipinas

A merged thread for all stax lovers! Good job on this one TS. With me yesterday was a dutch stax and I participated yesterday in a 65-man legacy tournament but had a dismissal record before dropping out of the tournament. I managed to win vs. Ur delver, sneaky show but lost to dredge, dredge and a hypergen.

From your experiences, how's your game vs. dredge? It really irked me that I was helplessly against it. Their game plan were just to fast as compared to ours.

Here's the SB list btw that I had:
    4 Swords to Plowshare
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Tormod's Crypt

*cheers

-Paeng
    TJB

http://deartiyopaeng.blogspot.com/ <---- (updated) MTG related blog. ^_^

TES: 102nd out of 2000 players at GP Kyoto 2015 (Legacy)

UR Storm: 37th of 950 players at GP Guangzhou 2016 (Modern)

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Has Humility been worth it? I was kinda staying away from it because of Magus. But if it's legit, I might make the swap to:

-4 Oblivion Ring (moved to the SB)
    +3 Humility
    +1 Trinisphere

Also, how hard is it to get the WW for it.
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Dec 2011
    USA

If it helps I did the same thing, I basically moved Oblivion Ring to the sideboard & maindecked Tangle Wire then eventually I just replaced Tangle Wire with Humility.

If I had Moat I'd just play Dutch Stax myself, in which if the deck had a little more performance I'd probably invest in them, but Stax overall just doesn't perform as much.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

On another note, what would be suggestions for a SB going into an unknown meta? I imagine there will be some blue-control being played, but that's about it. The few attempts I've brainstormed have been:

SB 1: 4 Leyline of Sanctity, 4 Oblivion Ring, 3 Tormod's Crypt, 2 Suppression Field, 2 Uba Mask
    SB: 2: 4 Leyline of Sanctity, 4 Oblivion Ring, 3 Tormod's Crypt, 2 Suppression Field, 2 Stony Silence

I'm pretty set on Leyline, O-Ring, and Crypt for graveyard decks. The last 4 slots I'm not sold on. I figure Fields and Masks against control, but then I thought maybe I should throw Stony Silence in there in case of an Affinity decks. Not sure.

I'm playing the deck today and I chose the sundial of the infinite strategy... But it just doesn't win.
    Does it work, yes. Win, no, because opponents just don't scoop. Basically, if they win game 1 and if you settle sundial + trinisphere + smokestack, they can not win, but they are unfortunately not compelled to scoop. Even if they play "quick" (at least quick enough for a judge), it takes all the time of the round and you just lose. So sad... I wonder how trading stax did so well, now that I figured it out.

I used to run geddon stax when survival was on line everywhere. In that moment i maidecked 3 suppression field and after the ban of survival i removed it away. Now think:

Shaman
    Jace
    Vial
    Fetchland
    Reliquary
    Mother of runes

and so on...

I really think that SF worth the pitty in the maindeck. Nowadays every deck has activated abilities.

Just my opinion.

Despite this the biggest problem of stax is the library manipulation that seems to has no solution. Anyway an awesome lover / hated deck!

GC.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

I'm gonna try running a pair of Fields in my deck again. I've cut 2 O-Rings for them. I didn't end up running Stax for the tournament this weekend (which was a mistake because the meta was really good for it), but I have another tournament on May 18th, so I'll give it a whirl then.

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

Has anyone considered Nevermore? I feel like you need oblivion Ring in this deck because Jace, the Mindsculptor can really give you a problem if he is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by dcosiem View Post
    Has anyone considered Nevermore? I feel like you need oblivion Ring in this deck because Jace, the Mindsculptor can really give you a problem if he is resolved.
    You do need to jace an answer to jace! O-ring ans Smokestack are great cards for that purpose...i see nevermore a bit narrow...

Dec 2011
    USA

Oblivion Ring's are definitely more popular than Nevermore's, since Oblivion Ring has actually been ran and I don't think Nevermore is in any of the more successful lists I've overviewed according to thecouncil/starcitygames/etc.

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

Nevermore seems like a skill intensive strategy to deploy on your opponent. I feel like if i'm unable to set my lock pieces: Ghostly Prison, Magus of T, Smokestack, etc, Nevermore is in some ways better than Oblivion Ring because it stops continual play action of cards being named. I'm going to test 2 in my main deck with split 2 Oblivion Ring.

Nevermore seems like a skill intensive strategy to deploy on your opponent. I feel like if i'm unable to set my lock pieces: Ghostly Prison, Magus of T, Smokestack, etc, Nevermore is in some ways better than Oblivion Ring because it stops continual play action of cards being named. I'm going to test 2 in my main deck with split 2 Oblivion Ring.
    It sounds true on paper. O-ring lets you to cope to "visible" threats while Nevermore is more "theorical". Except in the case of combo no deck will loose to nevermore even if you name correctly. But if you wish you can take your playstyle. What i recomend is to avoid the splits in this deck. Stax is one of the most sinergistic decks in the format basic on its redundance because we almost have no way to manipulate our library. With the exception of certain win conds i 'd run not less than 3 of everything.

Side note: has anybody tested Bottled Cloister or Scroll Rack as fuel cards¿?

GC.

Cheez
    Nov 2011
    Rockville, MD

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    It sounds true on paper. O-ring lets you to cope to "visible" threats while Nevermore is more "theorical". Except in the case of combo no deck will loose to nevermore even if you name correctly. But if you wish you can take your playstyle. What i recomend is to avoid the splits in this deck. Stax is one of the most sinergistic decks in the format basic on its redundance because we almost have no way to manipulate our library. With the exception of certain win conds i 'd run not less than 3 of everything.

Side note: has anybody tested Bottled Cloister or Scroll Rack as fuel cards¿?

GC.
    Deck manipulation is the only thing this deck lacks.

Deck manipulation is the only thing this deck lacks.
    Imagine stax manipulating the library consistenlty....sol lands would be banned inmediately!! :P

Back on o-ring versus nevermore: o-ring is far better against SnT decks.

GC.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Given my love/hate relationship with this deck, I've still been tinkering with my list and tweaking slots. I'm trying to convince myself to play it at a tournament on the 18th, but I almost feel like I should just play DnT instead. Mostly been having issues against other creature decks. The other night at work I lost 1-2 to a B/R Standard Vampires deck which made me hit the drawing board again. Also games against RUG Delver have still been kind of a toss up. Sometimes you get the lock on them, and sometimes they sneak a Delver in before your lock pieces and just counter anything relevant while Delver goes to town. So here's my current list:

4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    4 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Horizon Canopy

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Smokestack
    4 Ghostly Prison
    3 Armageddon
    4 Magus of the Tabernacle
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Suppression Field

SB: 3 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 3 Defense Grid
    SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements
    SB: 2 Wrath of God
    SB: 1 Oblivion Ring
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

I added the Grid's for tempo decks as an additional 'Sphere' effect. I also was going to run some Zuran Orb's in my board after watching Matt Keefer keep afloat with it against Ur Delver at a SCG Open. But then my friend informed me of Timely Reinforcements as a better alternative that wouldn't set me back mana-wise. Mostly there against the aggressive decks to keep my life total up, while making road blocks so I can attempt to establish control. One thing I've wondered about is how have people been getting by running just the 24 lands? Before, I was running 24 and felt a little light on mana and had Diamonds getting stuck in my hand sometimes, so I added the 25th land to help with that and to also help recovering from a Wasteland draw from the opponent. However, I've noticed I tend to get flooded now, and I'm contemplating just offing the Karakas and going back to 24 lands.

That's all I have for my essay. Would love to hear some other people's input.

You said it my friend. Stax variants are loved - hated by its pilots and hated by its oponents.
    In the last time i loved it more than i hated it because i think i improved my game. I made a list with 4 O-ring and 3 Smokestack main deck to improve my removal stuff. One of the problem we have is, due that we lack of library manipulation (c`on horizon canopy + crucible is not manipulation), that an eraly therad that got rid from our chalice @ 1 (delver, mongoose, lackey, goblin guide and to a less extent shaman) could be a nightmare. For this reason i included 4 O - ring MD to increase the chance to resolve this situations while making a soft lock. In this situation where a small vampire could be nasty (remember the damage we deal uorself with tomb) cards like O-rig , prison (in that order) then smokestak and mishra's factory shine while a magus follwed by a geddon (if we survive) will win the game.
    Fast pressure is not good for stax so we have to be redundant to get solutions. Tempo deck are our worst match up: efficients guys + counter magic is terrible. So DEfense grid is a good choice here as you mentioned trini sphere is too. I'm including Null Rod x 2 in the side as testing slots because it anulls top, vial and equips for the low price of cutting our moxes. I choosed rod over Stony Silence because we don't always have 1W in t1 but (2) we do. It improves t1 opposing tops. Anyway the MU pass from bad to regular.
    Another hard MU is goblins. A t1 lackey demands you a t1 O-ring. If not we are almost done. I said almost!!!
    I included in my side 2 copies of Sphere of Law which amilorates the damage of the goblin horde to a good extent. You can drop it in t2 to buy a great deal of time in combination with prison effects.

I liked timely reinfortments in your side! What experience did you made with it??

Side note: up to now i had no problem for beating death and taxes (i have posituve record against that deck)

GC.
    Last edited by GoldenCid; 05-04-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling

Dec 2011
    USA

Got 2nd at a local Legacy tourney tonight in a 4 rounder.

Loss, was to a Ral Zarek Stasis deck, was very interesting because I never thought I'd see someone play stasis after all this time. Technically we ID'd for that round 4 and split 1st/2nd, but then we play a best of 3 anyway and they got it on game 3. Basically we're both going for a prison style strategy, but they can get there a bit faster with all their card draw being mono blue, as well as having access to counterspells to hit my most damaging stuff and put it into the graveyard instead of it resolving. As far as game 2 went, I was able to resolve enough to lock them out of the game, but they got their setup before I did games 1 & 3.

Also in reference to my round 3 opponent, Stony Silence is awesome against affinity!

Setup is still:
    4 Plains
    4 Flagstones of Trokiar
    4 Mox Diamond
    4 City of traitors
    4 Ancient tomb
    4 Mishra's factory
    4 Wasteland
    4 Chalice of the void
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Crucible of worlds
    4 Smokestack
    4 Magus of the tabernacle
    4 Ghostly prison
    4 Humility
    4 Armageddon
    -sideboard-
    4 Tormod's Crypt
    4 Stony Silence
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Oblivion ring

Congrats!!!!!

If you could detail us about your loss against Stasis i'd be loved!
    Even more if you could provide the dekclist the better!!

GC.

Thread Information