Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Took a week off from Lands and decided to try this out tonight. Dam it is a world of fun. Main was I think a copy of the one above, I have got to say I enjoyed it. It does need some card draw though as lacking that hurt. I am thinking a Trading Post because it also adds some life gain to the main. Anyway, I will try this again next week and take notes. MUD never quite felt like Shops does to play, this really does.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Jun 2012
    Finland

No love for the Stax anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Avez View Post
    No love for the Stax anymore?
    Very few people have love for stax. But we're still here :)

I've been jamming mono blue stax with propaganda, tezzeret the seeker, etc :)

Jun 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoderm View Post
    Very few people have love for stax. But we're still here :)

I've been jamming mono blue stax with propaganda, tezzeret the seeker, etc :)
    Give us your decklist immediately! :D

Love ain't the problem, competitiveness is.
    Deck is still fun to play and I tried to test it again recently, but loses from itself even when facing theoretically positive matchups.

I've got a mono colorless build in working on right now using a couple of the new cards. I want to get some testing in with it over the next couple weeks and see if its any good/tweak some of the card quantities.

Jun 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by ZEROorDIE View Post
    a couple of the new cards
    Warping Wail?

Give us your decklist immediately! :D
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    4 Smokestack
    4 Tangle wire
    4 Ratchet Bomb

4 Tezzeret, the Seeker
    4 Propaganda

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Seat of the Synod
    3 Mishra's Factory
    1 Academy Ruins
    3 Maze of Ith
    10 Island

I play around with a few cards like Pendrell Mists, Dream Tides, 1-2 Copies of Stasis (to combo with Tezzeret), and some mana rocks like Dimir Signet or Talisman of Dominance.
    Note I don't have Crucible of Worlds so the typical wasteland/crucible/mox diamond package is out.

Warping Wail?
    I've been LOVING 4x of this maindeck in 12Post.

Warping Wail?
    Yes, also testing out sea gate wreckage since the goal is the same as ensnaring bridge(empty your hand) and card draw has been one of the big struggles with artifact decks in legacy. Will hopefully have some data by mid next week

@Avez: Do you find that having Tabernacle makes a big difference in the deck?

Jun 2012
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by darkgh0st View Post
    @Avez: Do you find that having Tabernacle makes a big difference in the deck?
    I really can't say :/ Sometimes it does wonders and sometimes I just throw it away to a Mox Diamond. We need a way to fetch it somehow for it to be really usefull...

So...
    Things I liked about my old Stax list: It ran Intuition (with Crucible of Worlds) and Tolaria West. Intuition of course adds 4 copies of your heavy-hitters (be it something like Elspeth or Smokestack) but also has random other synergies, like a triple-tutor (Daretti, aforementioned Crucible), and Tolaria West, while CIPT, tutors for 1-of Tabernacles, land/ Artifact bullets, extra Wastes, and of course, Chalices.

I present these two cards as the future of Stax. They make an inconsistent Stax deck far, far more consistent, and really open up your topdecking and lines of play. Don't leave home without them. Thoughts on a list?
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Mar 2014
    London

Going to try this out when I can. Similar to http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/c...ckl-2016-06-12

Now Tabernacle is not as good as before we can play Hangerback and some creatures. Obvs ensnaring bridge is now out but winning a bit faster is no bad thing. Its a shame tangle wire doesn't fit in here any more. TKS is probably just better than Lodestone and with the extra 4 sol lands reshaper and smasher become sensible options. Trinisphere is a better option here than Sphere of resistance in this build.
    I am looking forward to playing it. Although I may be wrong in not playing the creature centric cards like dismember and jitte and the catchall of wail.
    Crucible, Smokestack, Wasteland and Ghost quarter give this deck a good endgame

4 Smasher
    4 Tks
    4 Reshaper
    4 Hangerback

4 Smokestack
    4 Chalice
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Crucible
    3 Mox Diamond
    1 ? Endbringer ?

4 Temple
    4 Tomb
    4 City
    4 Waste
    4 Factory
    3 Cavern
    2 Ghost Quarter

SB
    2 Ratchet Bomb
    3 GY hate (surgical, crypt, farie macarbe?)
    4 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Jitte
    3 Warping Wail ?
    1 ?

Sib

I know this does not seem very innovative considering the above deck tech but this is probs where stax should be right now.
    I also need to do some work on Tanglewire. It is probably very good in the Eldrazi matchup when backed up with waste.

Mar 2014
    London

Finally found the time to finish another article. Its about Stax and Eldrazi. It might give some of the Stax lovers an idea or two!
    I hope you like it.

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...-eldrazi-stax/

Sib

Quote Originally Posted by Sibelius View Post
    Finally found the time to finish another article. Its about Stax and Eldrazi. It might give some of the Stax lovers an idea or two!
    I hope you like it.

https://thelibraryatpendrellvale.com...-eldrazi-stax/

Sib
    Very nice as a list.

you think I can be competitive?

Mar 2014
    London

Quote Originally Posted by caprino View Post
    Very nice as a list.

you think I can be competitive?
    I think there is definitely something worth working on in that list or around those cards. A way to beat Delver of Secrets is the most pressing need. As we can't use Ensnaring Bridge I think some number of Dismember or Spatial Contortion need to be added. Dismember has the additional problem of costing a lot of life. Spatial contortion however does not deal with Goyf or Gurmag. This is probably less of a problem as we have bigger ground pounders. My advice would be to play the deck a few times and see what changes you think are needed.

On another note.
    I found someone doing well with Stax on SCG. It has been mislabeled MUD when it is OBVIOUSLY a Stax list.

Link : http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...?DeckID=108137

List

Creatures (4)

4 Metalworker

Lands (25)

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Buried Ruin
    4 City of Traitors
    3 Ghost Quarter
    4 Wasteland
    1 Gemstone Caverns
    1 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
    4 Inventors' Fair

Spells (31)

1 Bottled Cloister
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Crucible Of Worlds
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Ghirapur Orrery
    2 Grim Monolith
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Smokestack
    1 Staff Of Domination
    4 Tangle Wire
    4 Trinisphere

Sideboard
    1 Bottled Cloister
    3 Defense Grid
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    1 Ghost Quarter

There is a lot going on here.
    Locking people out with Ghost Quarter and Wasteland.
    Buried Ruin and Inventors Fair returning and searching out lock pieces,
    infinite life combo with Staff,
    Gemstone caverns to increase the Turn 1 play %,
    Worlds slowest Bitterblossom in Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reika,
    Ghirapur Orrery as a ramp and Crucible lock effect.

This deck is a good example of the most important part of Stax decks in Legacy. The Mana/Land base. As we have to play largely similar spells, all the spheres and lock pieces, the difference in these decks comes from the mana base. The mana base is often also the win condition. Mishras Factory and Mutavault, Tabernacle and Waste Lock, Rishadan ports and Eldrazi lands seem to be the best options. This deck has added Inventors Fair and increased the Buried Ruins from the 1 ofs in some previous decks.
    I also really like the use of Metalworker. Without Mishra's Workshop we are often a turn behind with our lock pieces or our Smoke Stack needed one more turn to take over the game. With Metalworker and a 100% artifact based deck we can make tons and tons of mana on turn 2 and overload our opponent with a bunch of Locks all in one go. This will help us against Tempo and soft counter decks like Delver.

I am going to build this list and do some work on it. I will try my best not to add in pet combos like Hangerback or Tabernacle unless they would actually work

Sib

Inventors' Fair adds A LOT to this deck.

The ability to gain a life buffer for no extra cost, and the ability to tutor for specific lock pieces mid/late-game... are amazing additions.

The power level of the decklist that made Top-8 at the Legacy Classic is very high. Everything fits perfectly together now and Inventors' Fair ties the bow on the ribbon of this deck, basically.

So concessions, Gods' Eye and maybe Metalworker beats are the only wincons? Cool. Thought the Inventor's Fair and Ghost Quarter numbers might be inversed. I like the look of this though!

The list is very spicy. I'd try to fit in a singleton Karn, Silver Golem, though. Having access to four tutors, assuming the deck list is correct, makes it a viable win con.

Jan 2013
    Madison, WI

I was chatting with Michael Coyle, the pilot of the deck that finished 5th at SCG Indy, about his list and have played a few games with it. It is very solid. There is so much power in the list that isn't immediately apparent. For example, it wasn't until I had both Bottled Cloister and Ghirapur Orrery in play together that I realized it allowed me to draw 5 cards per turn and still hide behind an Ensnaring Bridge. I think a land or two could be adjusted, but the the list seems really tuned. I was worried about possibly going to time against opponents who wouldn't concede and am considering cutting some land (possibly an Inventors' Fair or Ghost Quarter to fit in a second Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai. Since the deck is really looking to play off of Crucible of Worlds, having a second Gods' Eye allows you to generate 2 spirits per turn, once you have Crucible + Orrery, which adds up to a pretty fast clock, once your opponent is being eternally tapped down with Tangle Wire or has no board thanks to Smokestack.

Thread Information