Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Re: [Primer/Deck] Stax

Red is not exactly known for its life gain, so you have to look elsewhere. Options like Trading Post, Sun Droplet and Bottle Gnomes exist, but none are a perfect answer.

Another answer is something like either Wurmcoil and Batterskull or Orbs of Warding and Witchbane Orb.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Mar 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden

Trading Post is king with Ensnaring Bridge guys. I'm just saying.

I might try Trading Post as a one of, but I think mulling aggressively to a Bridge or Chalice is the only answer. Searing Blood is always the big problem. I do get to board in quite a bit as all the Moons are dead cards or enable searing blood. It's just tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Princessforfun View Post
    I agree, that is a pretty good situation to be in with crucible. I do stabilize a lot at 1-4 life and the deck already has problems with burn if the land a swiftspear or goblin guide. Any thoughts on improving that? The deck does pretty well with cycling for cards between Chandra and Sin Prodder.
    I have usually 2 Zuran Orbs in the sideboard when playing Stax or MUD shells with Crucible of Worlds. Turns City of Traitor trigger into life, can shut off Price of Progress etc...

Thank you, I think I am going to put two Zuran Orb in the board. I had some epic games against my buddy on GW Enchantress the other day. I won most of them mulling to chalice and finding smokestack. I'm going to put in some work with my friend that plays D&T. It should be really tough so I'm excited to see how it plays out. Any thoughts on the Top ban for Stax decks?

Mar 2013

Any thoughts on the Top ban for Stax decks?
    If BUG deminishes we will have a better field. Having to play Welding Jar out of the side to answer Decay is a pain. While Stax itself dodges Decay, Crucible and Bridge are so dam strong and I hate seeing them eat Decay.
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Feb 2015
    Sweden

Hello!

Im a MUD player but i want to try stax.
    I thought i'd switch and figured i'll buy the Diamond before an eventual pricespike .
    This is the list i've made after i've looked through the forum for a moment and im gathering the key Pieces i don't own as a mud player.

4 metalworker
    2 walking ballista

4 ensnaring bridge
    2 bottled cloister
    4 chalice of the void
    4 trinisphere
    3 smokestack
    3 ratchet bomb
    1 trading post
    3 crucible of worlds
    1 staff of domination
    4 mox diamond

2 inventors' fair
    1 sea gate wreckage
    1 drownyard temple
    1 Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
    3 buried ruin
    3 mishra's factory
    4 city of traitors
    2 ghost quarter
    4 wasteland
    4 ancient tomb

No sideboard yet.

Please tell Me what you think :)
    Last edited by Jander78; 05-02-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Just about everyone in my area that was on Miracles has switched to BUG midrange. I changed my list recently and this is what I'm going to take to Legacy night on Thursday. So far in testing it has been very consistent and pushes really hard against Blue decks. Pia Nalaar has been really good.
    Land:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountain

Creatures:
    3 Avaricious Dragon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Pia Nalaar
    4 Sin Prodder
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells:
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Smokestack
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox

SB:
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Fiery Confluence
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Trinisphere
    Last edited by Dice_Box; 05-02-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Fixed formating.

Mar 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Runninonwater View Post
    Please tell Me what you think :)
    My apologies, I missed this post. The list is very close to what I was thinking up running lately, but I would run a player of Fair and a playset of Crucible. Cut the Seagate and the Drownyard for the fairs, the Crucible I would not worry too much about if you don't have it. Let me know how it treats you.

Just about everyone in my area that was on Miracles has switched to BUG midrange. I changed my list recently and this is what I'm going to take to Legacy night on Thursday. So far in testing it has been very consistent and pushes really hard against Blue decks. Pia Nalaar has been really good.
    Moon, acceleration and card draw? Count me in. The only thing I would say is, at this point I think you will get more help in the Dragon Stompy thread. Your far closer to that deck now then you are Stax. Not that I mind seeing it here. I love me some Moon. As long as it's not played against me...

@ Dice_Box

I was actually thinking the same thing when I posted it. The goal all along has been to accumulate the cards for MUD stax. This was just one trip on the journey.

Mar 2013

@ Dice_Box

I was actually thinking the same thing when I posted it. The goal all along has been to accumulate the cards for MUD stax. This was just one trip on the journey.
    In a meta full of BUG, what you have is a better idea. I would trade out the Stax for something like Ratchet Bomb or Jitte main, a way to sweep DRS. Decay hurts me when I play straight artifact builds and Moon helps sure that up. But at the point where your already running 8 moon and Chalice, I think Smokestack is secondary to 3ball or something like it.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I was actually thinking about rebuilding GW Geddon Stax. In this meta, all the lovely Stax cards like Suppression Field, Ghostly Prison, and their ilk seem pretty good.

Something like...

24 Lands

3 Tireless Tracker
    3 Knight of the Reliquary

3 Smokestack
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ghostly Prison
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Armageddon
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    4 Mox Diamond

3 Choke
    2 Karmic Justice
    4 Suppression Field
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Krosan Grip

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post
    I was actually thinking about rebuilding GW Geddon Stax. In this meta, all the lovely Stax cards like Suppression Field, Ghostly Prison, and their ilk seem pretty good.

Something like...

24 Lands

3 Tireless Tracker

3 Smokestack
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ghostly Prison
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Armageddon
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    4 Mox Diamond

3 Choke
    2 Karmic Justice
    4 Suppression Field
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Krosan Grip
    I really like this idea. looks fun, may have to try it next week.

I think I would drop the timely reinforcements and 1 mox diamond for 3 o-ring and a 25th land. Definitely want to be hitting land drops with tracker and be able to recover after and Armageddon.

I'm thinking a mana base something like the following, let me know what you think.

4 Ancient tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Savanna
    4 Horizon Canopy
    3 wasteland
    3 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Mishras Factory
    1 Riftstone Portal
    1 Karakas

I know it doesn't leave you a lot to pitch to knight, but I'm not sure the mana base can support basic and fetch lands, which we don't even want to be playing if we have suppression field.

also would probably change 1 choke and 2 karmic justice in the board to 2 Containment Priest and 1 Karakas. might even go 1/1 krosan grip and disenchant just because the mana supports white better and most of the decks where we need to remove and artifact don't have permission. (d&t, blade to a lesser degree- much permission will be used trying to prevent the lock pieces from coming down)

lastly, the last few times I played smokestack, it was always the weakest card in the deck, I would probably only include 2 at most, maybe only one. revoker is very powerful right now and I think warrants inclusion to stop runaway deathrite/jitte/planeswalker activations that are pretty popular right now.

as usual, I'm typing from my phone so please disregard any egregious spelling errors.

look forward to hearing any thoughts on this though, it's always a bit difficult to build a multicolor stax deck but I really like the card selection advantages this build might offer.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Knight is going t o b e there to mainly fetch Wastelands, your Ghost Quarter, Tabernacle, Kor Haven/Maze of Ith, etc. Doesn't really need to grab much else.

Smokestack and Tracker, as well as Timely and Smokestack synergize very well. You're always goingt o be down life in this deck, and typically down creatures. Giving yourself chumpers for the few guys that get through Ghostly will be important in buying you time, as will 6 life.

4 Mox is pretty essential in not only colour fixing, but reliably turn 1'ing a real card like Chalice or Trinisphere. I played Geddon Stax and full Dutch Stax for years, so I'm not talking out of my ass or anything.

24 Lands looks a lot like:

4 Ancient tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    3 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    2 Plains
    3 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    1 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Mishras Factory
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Maze of Ith

Oct 2015
    Virginia

Land:
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    13 Mountain

Creatures:
    3 Avaricious Dragon
    4 Goblin Rabblemaster
    3 Pia Nalaar
    4 Sin Prodder
    3 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells:
    4 Blood Moon
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Smokestack
    4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    4 Chrome Mox

SB:
    4 Ensnaring Bridge
    3 Fiery Confluence
    3 Leyline of the Void
    2 Umezawa's Jitte
    3 Trinisphere
    This deck is also most of imperial painter. Makes me want to take the deck in a more Stax direction with top gone.
    Now Playing:
    Dark depths
    Reanimator
    MUD
    Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post

Something like...

24 Lands

3 Tireless Tracker

3 Smokestack
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    3 Ghostly Prison
    2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Armageddon
    3 Sylvan Library
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    4 Mox Diamond

3 Choke
    2 Karmic Justice
    4 Suppression Field
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Krosan Grip
    Humility is much more powerful right now than trying to play with Tracker or Knight in this shell in my opinion. It nullifies a lot of unfair decks and still hits the fair ones using DRS, TNN, or Leovold. It also 'combos' very nicely with Elspeth. I'm not convinced that it's worth it to bend the mana base to accommodate Sylvan Library right now, either. It may take a little longer to win without search or manipulation, but inevitability is quite strong.

Jan 2015
    Frozen Tundra

I've been grinding with a Geddon STAX list lately. Been enjoying it a lot more then mono-brown STAX. I'm doing this off they top of my head so I may be missing a card here or there or be off on the numbers.

Lands:
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tombs
    7 Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Ghost Quarter
    2 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Tabernacle of the Pendrell Vale

Artifacts:
    4 Mox Diamond
    3 Crucible of Worlds
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Trinisphere
    3 Batterskull
    2 Smokestack

Planeswalker:
    2 Gideon, AoZ
    1 Elspeth, KE

Sorcery:
    3 Armageddon

Enchantment:
    3 Humility
    2 O-Ring
    4 Ghostly Prison

SB:

3 Uba Mask
    3 Suppression Field
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Faerie Macabre
    1 O-Ring
    1 Winter Orb

Wow, this list looks awesome. Maybe I'll sleeve it u...
    Quote Originally Posted by snoop_x View Post
    3 Tabernacle of the Pendrell Vale
    nvm.

Here's the latest pile of garbage I've been testing on xmage. I want to play it at a paper event and farm judge calls.

Artifacts:
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

Lands:
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tombs
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    8 Plains

Sorcery:
    4 Armageddon
    1 Idyllic Tutor

Enchantment:
    4 Humility
    4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Suppression Field
    1 Karmic Justice
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Opalescence
    1 Oblivion Ring
    2 Banishing Light

SB:

2 Karmic Justice
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Rest in Peace

Leyline of Sanctity should almost certainly be in the board, but I wanted to try it main for faster opalescence kills. Testing has been great on xmage, but the people that play on that program aren't very good. I'm gonna test against more knowledgeable players when I get a chance. I'd love some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_D View Post
    Here's the latest pile of garbage I've been testing on xmage. I want to play it at a paper event and farm judge calls.

Artifacts:
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

Lands:
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tombs
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Karakas
    8 Plains

Sorcery:
    4 Armageddon
    1 Idyllic Tutor

Enchantment:
    4 Humility
    4 Ghostly Prison
    4 Suppression Field
    1 Karmic Justice
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Opalescence
    1 Oblivion Ring
    2 Banishing Light

SB:

2 Karmic Justice
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Timely Reinforcements
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Rest in Peace

Leyline of Sanctity should almost certainly be in the board, but I wanted to try it main for faster opalescence kills. Testing has been great on xmage, but the people that play on that program aren't very good. I'm gonna test against more knowledgeable players when I get a chance. I'd love some feedback.
    If you're not playing Chalice, Idyllic Tutor should almost certainly be Enlightened Tutor, and I'd up the count to give you a better curve. I might look at more of the Armageddon Stax shell, though, and, like you said, side the Leyline, add Trinisphere (and potentially Chalice).

Like you said, this is probably a rules nightmare, but as long as you are playing Humility first, most of the crying will be on the other side of the table!

Thread Information